Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭luvthegame

Halfprice wrote: »
    He just cant judge shots from 120y in, he gone to a 3 quarter shot now and cant judge it where as before it was all full on,..

Pretty sure he's been doing that for over a year. Won him the FedEx cup when he holed out from fairway.

https://mobile.twitter.com/playofffinale/status/884861370998464512/video/1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭valoren

Not sure what the story is with coaches but I was surprised to hear a Euro pro tour player (Matt Wallace) say he has switched coaches and is now being coached by Robert Rock, I didn't know Rock was a coach for starters but a bit strange that he's coaching while being a pro himself.

I guess at the professional level it's a case of having a trained eye watch over you as you swing. All tour level players simply have the talent to hit the ball very well and not bother thinking about the how and why they hit it well. Someone like Rock might not only be talented in his own right but be a thinker and understand why he hit's it well but more significantly why he isn't hitting it well. Someone like that can typically tell after a few swings what you're doing wrong and know how to fix it so to speak. It's then up to you to apply the work to correct the fault. On tour while it's one thing to ask a buddy to take a look, Rock probably subscribes to the Joker in The Dark Knights line of thinking. "If you're good at something...never do it for free" ;)

On the other hand, you have the players who want to make swing changes to correct faults creeping into their game all in the name of making their swing repeat-repeat-repeat. That's where the likes of Butch et al ply their trade. Rock wouldn't have the time I'd imagine to be getting involved with any overhauls.

No posts when he is playing ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭markthespark77

luvthegame wrote: »

exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Quintis

Trying his best to match yesterdays round so far...

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/349371/422385.JPG

• Advertisement

playing very nicely at the min.

couple of great putts today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Cut in European Tour is Top 65 and ties isn't it?

If so the Cut will be even Par by the looks of it so him at -1 looks reasonably good and if he can pick up a few more shots he might even be able to get back in the mixer.

Great to see Harrington playing so well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Quintis wrote: »
    Trying his best to match yesterdays round so far...

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/349371/422385.JPG

Hopefully makes the break from yesterdays scoring now

Now he's at the place where it all went wrong yesterday. I'm just watching the scorecard as I'm in the office but praying he can get through the next few on even par at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Halfprice

Surprised he didnt get outta the bunker there first time, hes an excellent bunker player, albeit was a terrible stance he had, looking in trouble again

Fecking double. Bah.

Really needs to get back to at least -1 to be certain of making the weekend.

Hasnt settled with this driver either, he all over the place

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Two shots outside the cut line with two to play......oh dear....:(

Paring the par 5 after a double is a disaster. Back home for the weekend by the looks of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

They think its all over.
    It is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,911 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Death by a thousand cuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

That's putt for birdie to make the cut was atrocious.
    Not even remotely close after a very nice pitch.

Needs serious work before next Thursday but is well capable of just flicking the switch and burning up any golf course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

Poor bastard. Cant buy a putt to save his life, filtering down through the irons now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

You seem to have gone a bit quiet yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

He only posts when he's playing well:D

I think I made a valid point. Im not his no1 fan but there is a fair bit of posting here driven by a dislike of the guy.

Some people seem genuinely annoyed by him if he's not playing well.

I love the hole he double bogeyed by the way. Those oob railway holes really punish you if youre not 100%. More oob holes for the pros

Anyway that's why we are obsessed by golf I guess, a guy as good as McIlroy can lose it so quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

As anyone who plays golf knows, it's a "steeky" game, you can play like a pro one day and be absolutely useless another (I used to be a single fugue player but now I play like I'm holding the club by its head and hitting the ball with the grip). What gets me about Mcillroy is that he has more talent than any player on tour tee to green, but his mental attitude seems to be all wrong. When he is (to use an American term) dialled in, he is imperious, but a lot of the time he is brain dead. A tournament is four rounds, he starts crap, has a good day, then an ok day, then a great day. Now he seems to have more bad day then good days with the occasional amazing day where you think "why couldn't he even do part of that yesterday?". As amateurs we accept those bad days because it's only a past time for us, but in our jobs, if you have more bad days than you have good days it usually means being shown the door.

I think he is in danger of being a magnificent talent who didn't realise his potential, Yes he has won majors and will be regarded as a great player, but unless he pulls his finger out he will be ensconced at the table with Greg, Nick, Vijay and Seve rather than at Jack and Tigers table. That would be a waste of a supreme talent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭red ears

So many people are willing him to do well, golf needs McIlroy doing well. It would be great if he could come in next week and blitz the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

red ears wrote: »
    So many people are willing him to do well, golf needs McIlroy doing well. It would be great if he could come in next week and blitz the place.

Why does golf need him to do well? There are many players doing better than him. Golf in Ireland would like him to do well but let's be fair, viewing spiked when Tiger was doing well but he is in a different stratosphere to Mcillroy.

I like Rory a lot and have no problem with him, i jus reckon he needs to get his 120y in game sorted, he needs to work harder at it, we know the putter gets hot with all pros and also can get cold but from 120y in for someone who is in the top 5 for last number of years just isnt good enough in my opinion, maybe he does work his socks off at this part of his game but if he doesn't he really needs to

• Registered Users Posts: 7,757 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

davo10 wrote: »
    Why does golf need him to do well? There are many players doing better than him. Golf in Ireland would like him to do well but let's be fair, viewing spiked when Tiger was doing well but he is in a different stratosphere to Mcillroy.
    There's something about him that gets the fans going. He's extremely popular in the US as well, not just here.

I reckon it's when he's playing well and he can take on shots that others just wouldn't try. Phil Mickelson has it too and when they're on song, it's fascinating to watch. He's also brutally honest about his game and doesn't do the bland PR friendly speak that a lot of golfers do.

If he can get his wedge game working again, he will probably start making the putts too. He'll certainly be giving himself more realistic birdie chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

As his driving has gotten better and longer his short irons and wedge approaches have gotten worse. Probably needs to use some different swing keys for the latter as the incredible speed and lag he creates is quite the double edged sword when it comes to the control shots. DJ seems to have figured this out, maybe McIlroy will too.

Of course his putting is also incredibly unreliable. Commentators often say euphemistically that he is a "streaky" putter; that really just means he is a bad putter who occasionally putts well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭valoren

Interesting point made by McGinley in his Paul Kimmage interview.

PMcG: He's not the new kid on the block any more. He's in transition. He's in a very different place. He's a superstar now. He has responsibilities and expectations on his shoulders. He's being paid a lot of money to represent companies. And we don't have as much patience with him as pundits or as people because we expect.

PK: Good point.

PMcG: He's dealing with stuff he hasn't had to deal with before and the next four or five years are going to be challenging. Jon Rahm is where Rory has been for the last five years. You look at Rahm's eyes when he's being interviewed and they're on fire. He's alive. He's hungry. He's excited. There's no burden of expectation on his shoulders. So Rory is in a difficult place, but what we've seen from his career is that he figures things out. He bounces back. But this phase of his career will be more challenging than the last.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,897 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

A bit strange people fairly into golf, sort of writing and talking Rory off again. It is madness in a way. Even in mainstream media etc.

There is a lot of stuff going on for Rory - and he has made it clear that he doesn't just want to be a golfer. He has said it without saying it straight up - he gets a bit bored of golf - he doesn't want to be a Tiger Woods , a one dimensional modern pro .

This year he got married at a very strange time in season - clearly enjoyed his honeymoon.
    And (I know controversial) got injured in one of two ways - changing equipment mid season - or in the gym.
    He then comes home to run a golf event in a very hands on way in his home country - and even going home for him would be a big deal.

His talent and skill is bizarre - but the guys chasing him are trying harder and have no distraction and one life goal.

After all above, Rory can just flip and decide he is not happy being what - number 4 or number 10 or whatever , I think it will be a flip. And he is so good - he will ramp it up at a pace that he surprises us again. What that motivation will be - I don't know, the likes of Rahm coming to his home place and showing him how far he has fallen (could be it) - it could be a comment by someone he listens to , or something he reads. Who knows - it could be his family or his own mind. Most likely , will need to be from within him.

And - after all that , maybe Rory is right not to be a robotic golf pro. He could be right, for years I wanted him to break all the records. I genuinely think he may not want that. I want that , but that has nothing to do with it.

On the technical side - I just don't get major equipment changes at all (in season).
    On the putting - he is very very far behind the rest - and this is just practice , I mean, real practice at a level he isn't running a golf tournament or getting married mid season or going to a UFC fight, or working on equipment changes that result in injury. I mean locked away for a month - yes , 12 to 14 hour days. Is he doing that ? - If he is , then you are worried , because he has lost his putting and that is a very very serious issue.
    Seen a photo on J Rahm's twitter, foot marks in the green from doing the same putt for hours.

I'm beginning to agree with a few others that his long game is placing him in an area he struggles with - spin control and slight reduction in swing for wedges. It is a struggle for many a golfer. He genuinely needs to consider new coaching / practice here. And if he can't do that , he and JP need to pick where they end up on par 4s/5s way better. Avoid the weak area. The Open is a perfect place to do this.

So mad to write him off - they are all very solvable. And he can turn them around very quickly.

Rory will make up his own mind when.

And he has done it before - it seems very very unlikely , but he could easily turn up and play well at The Open. They guy is just unpredictable and his own man. In life, this can be your greatest strength and weakness. But no one is perfect.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement