Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

ziggy wrote: »
    He's married now, regular sex isn't an issue anymore!! :)

You're obviously not married

• Registered Users Posts: 7,757 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Bit of a fight back from Rors. Pulled back three with one to play. Two over currently.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Fair play to him. He's played well after an awful start.

Fair play to him. He's played well after an awful start.
    On the fairway on the 18th. Big drive with a 3 wood, bounced in the rough and rolled on to the short stuff.

I just need to get this straight in my head. What level of abstinence gets you to one or two over on the first day? ;)

• Advertisement

I didn't think Rory had that fight back in him. He's far from out of this yet.

Out early tomorrow get to couple under and then the early lads from today are going to face much tougher winds in the afternoon

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

lawred2 wrote: »
    <barstool bullsh!t>
    he's trying too hard - needs to relax and let the natural golfer come out
    </barstool bullsh!t>

<barstool bullsh!t>
    he's not trying hard enough - the money is made
    </barstool bullsh!t>

<barstool bullsh!t>
    he hit the gym far too much
    </barstool bullsh!t>

Needs to get rid of his caddy he is holding him back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

Class act to save that round. What a player he is when he hits form and some resilience he has too to stick with it after being +5 so early in the day. His ball striking was top class the back 9.

Loved the confidence he knocked that one in at the last too, was one of the few times watching Rory that I had no doubt about him knocking in a putt from that range. Was in from the second he hit it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Have we ever seen that from him before within one round? Class show of testicular fortitude.

Jayop wrote: »
    Have we ever seen that from him before within one round? Class show of testicular fortitude.
    I'm thinking we have, but nothing specific comes to mind.

He was talking after he round and said he had an issue getting his left knee out of the way during his swing and that was affecting his accuracy. He just worked at it and started to get it right on the back nine.

Very confident of having a good go at it tomorrow. You have to admire his resilience and guts.

• Advertisement

I'm thinking we have, but nothing specific comes to mind.

He was talking after he round and said he had an issue getting his left knee out of the way during his swing and that was affecting his accuracy. He just worked at it and started to get it right on the back nine.

Very confident of having a good go at it tomorrow. You have to admire his resilience and guts.

He's loads of times had a stinker of a round, played himself out of contention and then played well the subsequent days but I don't remember anything quite like this, although I wouldn't be the biggest student of the game.

He's loads of times had a stinker of a round, played himself out of contention and then played well the subsequent days but I don't remember anything quite like this, although I wouldn't be the biggest student of the game.
    His first round at the Deutsche Bank last year was going well when he dropped four shots in two holes at the start of the back nine. He pulled two back in the remaining holes and went on to win coming from six shots back. Not quite the same, but it was windy conditions as well.

JP, he reminded me who I was, basically. He said, "You're Rory McIlroy, what the **** are you doing?"

At that point I mumbled and said, "Whatever." But it did, it helped. It definitely helped. It kept me positive. So he did a great job.

Thankfully he's not had to do it too often. But, yeah, he's had to do it a few times. And he's never afraid to do that. And I feel today it helped a lot more than at other times because I needed something. It wasn't I couldn't look within myself. I was trying to look within myself. But JP kept me positive out there, so that was very much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Two that spring to mind are the Irish Open last year and the 2014 PGA, the latter most of all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

ForeRight wrote: »
    JP, he reminded me who I was, basically. He said, "You're Rory McIlroy, what the **** are you doing?"

At that point I mumbled and said, "Whatever." But it did, it helped. It definitely helped. It kept me positive. So he did a great job.

Thankfully he's not had to do it too often. But, yeah, he's had to do it a few times. And he's never afraid to do that. And I feel today it helped a lot more than at other times because I needed something. It wasn't I couldn't look within myself. I was trying to look within myself. But JP kept me positive out there, so that was very much appreciated.
    I think you should bookmark this post for the inevitable calls for JP's head. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭luvthegame

I think you should bookmark this post for the inevitable calls for JP's head. :D

Good man JP !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

luvthegame wrote:
    Good man JP !!!!!

I have criticised JP in the past for saying nothing during Rory's meltdowns so I'm happy to know that he seems to have reached the point in their relationship where he can. Maybe that should also recognise that Rory has reached that point too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭luvthegame

First Up wrote: »
    I have criticised JP in the past for saying nothing during Rory's meltdowns so I'm happy to know that he seems to have reached the point in their relationship where he can. Maybe that should also recognise that Rory has reached that point too.

I would think he's done it before, its just not that obvious unless the player mentions it in interview. So let's all lay off JP for 2017

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

luvthegame wrote:
    I would think he's done it before, its just not that obvious unless the player mentions it in interview. So let's all lay off JP for 2017

The body language was very obvious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

luvthegame wrote: »

He says that he has done it before:
    "Thankfully he's not had to do it too often. But, yeah, he's had to do it a few times. And he's never afraid to do that."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭big_drive

6 shots off leaders. Try get that down to 3 by end of tomorrow and he's well in there for weekend

big_drive wrote: »
    6 shots off leaders. Try get that down to 3 by end of tomorrow and he's well in there for weekend
    I often get the feeling that he can do this and it turns out otherwise. But he seems very confident right now and that four shot clawback was impressive. If he can keep the bogeys off his card and continue to make birdies when the chances come, it's not impossible.

Conditions will not be good tomorrow, hard to know what a good score will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭blackcard

big_drive wrote: »
    I often get the feeling that he can do this and it turns out otherwise. But he seems very confident right now and that four shot clawback was impressive. If he can keep the bogeys off his card and continue to make birdies when the chances come, it's not impossible.

Conditions will not be good tomorrow, hard to know what a good score will be.
    It could go either way. For the first eight holes today, he could have been seven over, he was playing poorly, his driver, his irons, his bunker play and his putting. On the last four holes, he was majestic. I think his confidence has to be low however. Hope I am wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,897 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Is it true jp got a voice today .

About ****ing time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

ForeRight wrote: »

That's a bit cringeworthy. For some reason it would be okay for an American to say that but for an Irish lad it just sounds wrong. Maybe if he was a really dominant force in the game it would be a little more tolerable.

He did great to turn things around in fairness but I don't think his game is in a place where he can challenge this weekend.

That's a bit cringeworthy. For some reason it would be okay for an American to say that but for an Irish lad it just sounds wrong. Maybe if he was a really dominant force in the game it would be a little more tolerable.

He did great to turn things around in fairness but I don't think his game is in a place where he can challenge this weekend.

Dry your eyes.

Rory and JP just can't win with some people no matter what they do

• Registered Users Posts: 24,380 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

ah give over

• Advertisement

The Irish lad in this case being JP FitzGerald?

As for being a dominant force; the chap has four majors and is still only twenty-eight. He hasn't been outside the top ten in the world in the last eight years and has been number one for almost two of those. In the current top ten, only Sergio has more wins than him. That's pretty dominant imo.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement