Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,987 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

What time is Rory off?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 7,757 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    What time is Rory off?
    About quarter to ten. 9:47 to be exact.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

I think the first part of my post has been taken more seriously than intended.

That's a bit cringeworthy. For some reason it would be okay for an American to say that but for an Irish lad it just sounds wrong. Maybe if he was a really dominant force in the game it would be a little more tolerable.

He did great to turn things around in fairness but I don't think his game is in a place where he can challenge this weekend.
    The Irish lad in this case being JP FitzGerald?

As for being a dominant force; the chap has four majors and is still only twenty-eight. He hasn't been outside the top ten in the world in the last eight years and has been number one for almost two of those. In the current top ten, only Sergio has more wins than him. That's pretty dominant imo.

He should be winning a lot more tournaments. He is not dominating the game at all. He has a good knack of winning at the right time, almost when he has nothing to lose. Maybe criticism drives him to victory and then when he gets all the plaudits he goes back into relaxed mode.

He is immensely talented. I'd like to see him come out and blow the field away. I love nothing more than dominant sportspeople. Woods, Federer, Hendry, Ferguson, Cody. I like all of them. McIlroy is not one of those. He is not a domineering character at all. He has the body language of a teenage popstar.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,380 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

He should be winning a lot more tournaments. He is not dominating the game at all. He has a good knack of winning at the right time, almost when he has nothing to lose. Maybe criticism drives him to victory and then when he gets all the plaudits he goes back into relaxed mode.

He is immensely talented. I'd like to see him come out and blow the field away. I love nothing more than dominant sportspeople. Woods, Federer, Hendry, Ferguson, Cody. I like all of them. McIlroy is not one of those. He is not a domineering character at all. He has the body language of a teenage popstar.

focus on the ones you like and save us your barstool wisdoms then

• Advertisement

He's a streaky player. Not the same as Woods by any stretch. But when he's on a hot streak, he's completely dominant. He proved that last year at the FedEx and the Irish Open if it needed proving again.

If he's feeling good about his game, it shows and he plays sublimely. If he's not, he struggles. But he has the mindset. Yesterday proved that. Not many players turn a bad first nine around like he did yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,360 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I think the first part of my post has been taken more seriously than intended.

waynes-world-denied.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭luvthegame

He should be winning a lot more tournaments. He is not dominating the game at all. .......... domineering character at all. He has the body language of a teenage popstar.

We are all entitled to an opinion but you keep repeating pretty much the same post again and again. "Minderbinder doesn't like McIlroy" I get it already.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,380 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

luvthegame wrote: »
    We are all entitled to an opinion but you keep repeating pretty much the same post again and again. "Minderbinder doesn't like McIlroy" I get it already.

well to be fair - he's no Brian Cody like

• Registered Users Posts: 17,987 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Nice birdie on the first, c'mon Rors

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

Guess who's back? Back again.

The swagger.

Guess who's back? Back again.

The swagger.
    He's peppering pins again and giving himself chances. Two holes, two chances and converts one. That's what we were looking for. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Some difference to yesterdays start.

Hopefully he can push on today, going to be tough in the afternoon.

And another chance on the third. DJ's second putt is longer.

And converts. Three chances, two converted. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭big_drive

Bit of work to do on her 4th but looks like he's on form today hopefully

Off the green on the fourth. Just went a bit too far with a 9 iron from 198 yards :eek:

Great up and down on 4

And another chance on five. This is the part of his game I've been saying all along needed improvement. Some putts will drop, some won't, but you don't get birdies from twenty feet plus enouigh times to win tournaments.

Didn't make the one on five but has another on six from much closer. Pin high from 175 yards and a tiddler for birdie.

• Advertisement

Great birdie. Bar the 4th he has had a great chance on every hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭valoren

-7 for his last 14 holes.

He's in great form. Not just the golf, but generally. Second shot on the eighth was pushed left in the wind and ended up in the bunker. He turns to JP and says "Did you see where I started that?" and just laughs. was a great shot, landed pin high barely on the green and just bounced left and ran off.

Edit: Stone dead from the bunker.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,897 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Genuine bounce in Rory now.

Positive, that look , that bounce.

This game is such a strange beast.

"You are ****ing Rory McIlroy" - there were lads in my golf club walking around with more energy off a handicap of 15 in their 70s.

Par save on the tenth had him pumped.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Great stuff by Rors. Seems to be enjoying it in tough conditions. He's motoring through the field.....

In the rough on the eleventh. Missed the fairway by a good bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,897 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Great stuff by Rors. Seems to be enjoying it in tough conditions. He's motoring through the field.....

I'd be perfectly happy with him holding where he is - he tends to chase too hard too early.

But - I know Rory wont do that.

He isn't hitting them irons off the tee as well as he should be - they are just irons.

lawred2 wrote: »
    focus on the ones you like and save us your barstool wisdoms then

Your total contribution here seems to be attacking McIlroy critics. I've yet to see you make a valid, contradictory point. This is not exclusively a Rory McIlroy supporters thread and if it was full of niceties it would be a bit dull. If you don't like opinions then you should avoid the internet.

• Advertisement

Another vital par save. Tough enough putt, but straight in the front door.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement