Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

He's a streaky player. Not the same as Woods by any stretch. But when he's on a hot streak, he's completely dominant. He proved that last year at the FedEx and the Irish Open if it needed proving again.

If he's feeling good about his game, it shows and he plays sublimely. If he's not, he struggles. But he has the mindset. Yesterday proved that. Not many players turn a bad first nine around like he did yesterday.

I agree he is the best player in the world when he's playing well. Nobody else really comes close.

The point I was making is that he doesn't dominate the sport. All the others I mentioned won things when they weren't playing well. They had a mental edge over other players that Rory doesn't have, though his sheer talent alone is enough to make him a great golfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,897 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I agree he is the best player in the world when he's playing well. Nobody else really comes close.

The point I was making is that he doesn't dominate the sport. All the others I mentioned won things when they weren't playing well. They had a mental edge over other players that Rory doesn't have, though his sheer talent alone is enough to make him a great golfer.

I'm sort of challenging this at this stage.

Is it a bit of a lazy media analysis to say Rory is the best when playing well.

Like when DJ , Rahm, Day , Spieth are playing well they are doing stuff out of this world. Stuff past Mcilroy in what 3/4 years.

I think as golf fans - a bit lazy to say he is the best player in the world.

He isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,756 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Like when DJ , Rahm, Day , Spieth are playing well they are doing stuff out of this world. Stuff past Mcilroy in what 3/4 years.

He isn't.
    He has more wins than any of them. Granted he has a good few years on Spieth and Rahm, but Day and DJ are around a bit longer.

Not sure Rahm has the temperament either.

Edit: The 13th has bitten him. First bogey of the day.

He has more wins than any of them. Granted he has a good few years on Spieth and Rahm, but Day and DJ are around a bit longer.

Not sure Rahm has the temperament either.

Rahm is way to early too make any comments on.

Fair enough more wins.

But when the other 3 are playing their best golf - not sure what this massive thing Rory has over them. They all hit the ball miles, all have incredible recovery , and the others are better at putting and wedges. So as a bloke who plays golf , I don't get it.

A bit easy to say Rory is the best player in the world - but what is he best at.

Rahm is way to early to make any comments on.

Fair enough more wins.

But when the other two are playing their best golf - not sure what this massive thing Rory has over them. They all hit the ball miles, all have incredible recovery , and the others are better at putting and wedges. So as a bloke who plays golf , I don't get it.

A bit easy to say Rory is the best player in the world - but what is he best at.
    If I was to pin it down to one thing, I'd say it's his aggression. He attacks courses when he's playing well and when he's on it pays off.

And just to prove me right, look what he just did on 14 from the rough. :)

• Advertisement

If I was to pin it down to one thing, I'd say it's his aggression. He attacks courses when he's playing well and when he's on it pays off.

And just to prove me right, look what he just did on 14 from the rough. :)

SO he has a poor course management game too. Like anyone who knows anything about the game would say - Rory come home safe now ,

But Rory is all go or stop.

That is useless - but exciting.

I'm just saying - I'm not taking this Rory is the best player in the world anymore

If you go down that route Tiger Woods is the best player in the world.

SO he has a poor course management game too. Like anyone who knows anything about the game would say - Rory come home safe now ,

But Rory is all go or stop.

That is useless - but exciting.
    That's a very ott viewpoint. You could say the same about Seve.

That's a very ott viewpoint. You could say the same about Seve.

fair enough - but I'm being somewhat the devils advocate.

Seve - is an interesting juxtaposition. Won 5 majors. Maybe best short game ever.

Rory incredible ball striker. Average short game.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,380 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Your total contribution here seems to be attacking McIlroy critics. I've yet to see you make a valid, contradictory point. This is not exclusively a Rory McIlroy supporters thread and if it was full of niceties it would be a bit dull. If you don't like opinions then you should avoid the internet.

Saying he isn't 'domineering' like Brian Cody or having the body language of a teenage popstar isn't really something I could be bothered contradicting..

Nor is it worth engaging on how cringeworthy you find the utterances of his caddy.

None of which have anything whatsoever to do with golf.

• Advertisement

Rory slipping a bit.

Rory slipping a bit.

I hope his round today isn't a mirror image of yesterday..

all blues home yesterday
    all reds home today?

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭one man clappin

terrible second shot into the green just now.

He isn't.

I think golf is different to most sports though. In most other sports the best player wins more than they might in golf. There are so many courses and variations that you don't really have in other sports, perhaps.

Who would you say is the best golfer in the world? It's hard to make an argument for anyone and it's easy to argue against anyone. Talent wise Rory is the best for me. Of course that alone doesn't mean he is definitively the best, and it certainly doesn't mean he dominates the game. But nobody really does that anymore.

I haven't seen anyone currently out there do greater things than Rory has, and even though Rory hasn't done much special recently he is still capable. Dustin Johnson is probably closest in terms of talent. Spieth hasn't really done a lot since 2015 and he is only really special at Augusta.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

lawred2 wrote: »
    all blues home yesterday
    all reds home today?

You've either your colours or your days mixed up!

You've either your colours or your days mixed up!

I sure do :D

lawred2 wrote: »
    Saying he isn't 'domineering' like Brian Cody or having the body language of a teenage popstar isn't really something I could be bothered contradicting..

Nor is it worth engaging on how cringeworthy you find the utterances of his caddy.

None of which have anything whatsoever to do with golf.

You're not interested in engaging with anyone as far as I can tell.

I think golf is different to most sports though. In most other sports the best player wins more than they might in golf. There are so many courses and variations that you don't really have in other sports, perhaps.

Who would you say is the best golfer in the world? It's hard to make an argument for anyone and it's easy to argue against anyone. Talent wise Rory is the best for me. Of course that alone doesn't mean he is definitively the best, and it certainly doesn't mean he dominates the game. But nobody really does that anymore.

I haven't seen anyone currently out there do greater things than Rory has, and even though Rory hasn't done much special recently he is still capable. Dustin Johnson is probably closest in terms of talent. Spieth hasn't really done a lot since 2015 and he is only really special at Augusta.

Is the best player in the world not Number 1 ?

Tiger overcame all above you mentioned - and was world number 1 for how long ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Spieth has won 4 times on the PGA tour in the last 18 months. He was 9 holes from winning the Masters last year too. He's 23!

To put that into perspective, Rickie Fowler, one of the best players in the world, has won that amount over the last 5 years.

McIlroy wins a tournament a year, usually more, that's quite good. There are so many good players in the world of golf at the moment, and they only play about 15 tournaments a year. They can't all win multiple tournaments a year. The Tiger like dominance is over. Even Tiger wouldn't dominate the way he did in this generation.

Is the best player in the world not Number 1 ?

Tiger overcame all above you mentioned - and was world number 1 for how long ?
    I'm always wary of comparing players from different times. But there's no denying Tiger's greatness, nor Nicklaus's. The current crop are different though. How many different major winners have we had in the last five years?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

Held it together well at the start of the back 9 there. Made 2 huge putts to save par on 10 and 11. Shoulda parred the par 3 12th? too though.
    Great position for the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Held it together well at the start of the back 9 there. Made 2 huge putts to save par on 10 and 11. Shoulda parred the par 3 12th? too though.
    Great position for the weekend.

Yea great position, I think others will drop shots today in those conditions

Just read an interesting fact on the Open app, Mcilroy has been World no.1 7 times!

Just read an interesting fact on the Open app, Mcilroy has been World no.1 7 times!
    For a total of 95 weeks.

He's the 4th longest at number 1 behind Tiger, Greg Norman and Nick Faldo. He only needs another three weeks to get ahead of Faldo. He's thirty odd weeks ahead of Seve and the next nearest current player is Jason Day on 51.

And always use copy and paste.

Alanfecker wrote: »
    How To Be A Better Poster
    Post in a forum where the subject is relevant.
    You should put posts where they belong. A library where people put books in any section they want will soon become unusable. Resist the temptation to say "I'm not going to post in the right forum because more people read THIS forum;” all that will happen is that your topic will immediately go off topic, you will be slated and the moderator will move the post to the right place and probably infract you. You may get fewer responses on the correct forum, but they will be far higher "worth". You want Quality, not quantity.
    You should indeed. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Martin567

For a total of 95 weeks.

He's the 4th longest at number 1 behind Tiger, Greg Norman and Nick Faldo. He only needs another three weeks to get ahead of Faldo. He's thirty odd weeks ahead of Seve and the next nearest current player is Jason Day on 51.

To be fair to Seve, the Official World Golf Rankings only began in 1986. Seve won his 4th Major in 1984.

Seve would probably have another 100-150 weeks at least as World No 1 if the official rankings had existed then.

How many weeks would Jack Nicklaus have been No 1 for? He had something like 35 Top 5 finishes in Majors in the 1970s alone!

Martin567 wrote: »
    To be fair to Seve, the Official World Golf Rankings only began in 1986. Seve won his 4th Major in 1984.

Seve would probably have another 100-150 weeks at least as World No 1 if the official rankings had existed then.

How many weeks would Jack Nicklaus have been No 1 for? He had something like 35 Top 5 finishes in Majors in the 1970s alone!
    Ah, yeah, I wasn't intending to make a comparison, just giving the difference to 5th. That's why I gave the gap to the next current player because it's the more relevant one. Faldo would also have crossed over the start of the rankings as would Greg Norman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭Ronney

Looking Forward to the rest of the season, it would not surprise me in the slightest if he was to go out and win his next 2 comps given he appears to have some new found confidence.

Next up is the WGC at Firestone where he won last time he played (2014) and has 3 top 10's. Its a course Tiger won 8 times on so would expect it to suit Rory.

After that is the PGA. In Quail Hollow where he had his 1st US win, Shot a 61 and has won there a 2nd time as well as loosing a play off to Fowler

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement