Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,985 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Me neither

I know he has been playing well since he was back practising. Missing the cuts was embarrassing, but it wasn't representative of how he was playing when the cameras weren't on him. He needed, badly needed a good round in competition, just one good round. In actual fact he didn't even need that. Turns out all he needed was to make a clusterfock of the first 6 holes at The Open and get a kick in the arse from his caddy. What happened after that was what he needed and he duly turned the corner. I know he made a mess of a few holes here and there over the next 3 day, but I wouldn't worry about that, bad holes will always happen. Point is, I don't think he needed to win last week after the way he had been going. All he needed to do was firstly make the cut, play well, show signs to the viewing public that his game is actually not as bad as missing soft cuts might suggest, and have yet another top 10 in a Major when he hadn't played anywhere near his potential.

A win would be great, a big win at a WGC or Major would be massive, but if all he does for the next few tournaments is play solid with no meltdowns and post a reasonable finishing position, well then that will be a great stepping stone to kick on from.

Would be surprised if we don't see him pick up at least a couple of trophies this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭luvthegame

Ronney wrote: »

After that is the PGA. In Quail Hollow where he had his 1st US win, Shot a 61 and has won there a 2nd time as well as loosing a play off to Fowler

From the pga website there are quite a few changes to Quail Hollow since they last played there. In terms of layout only 4 holes were changed

Hole No. 1 is now a par-4 540-yard dogleg right.
    A new par-3 was built to replace No. 2, which was eliminated to extend No. 1.
    Hole 5, formerly a par-5, is now a par-4 dogleg right.
    Bunkers were added to No. 11, and the green was pushed back.

Biggest change is to the grass on the greens to Bermuda. Greens will be a lot faster and harder than before.

Overall with those chnages I dont think its advantage McIlroy simply cos he won there before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭red ears

Best thing for Rory now imo would be to keep competing, play every week till the PGA championship.

hmmmmmm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Seve OB wrote: »

If it's on golfcentraldaily it must be bull*hit

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

now on rte website......Definitely BS

• Registered Users Posts: 17,987 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Seems to be true.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Bones and Rory?????

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

I've been critical of JP for not intervening during Rory's many meltdowns so it would be ironic if he got sacked for finally speaking up at the Open (for which Rory thanked him at the time.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,399 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Seve OB wrote: »

Let us all bow before your superior knowledge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Good move.. a new caddie will surely improve his wedge play and putting.

HighLine wrote: »
    Good move.. a new caddie will surely improve his wedge play and putting.

Especially as he never uses them to read his putts

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Smacks of desperation perhaps? Very surprising after his words about JP at the Open last week.

Bones and Rory?????

I like it...Bory

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

First Up wrote: »
    I've been critical of JP for not intervening during Rory's many meltdowns so it would be ironic if he got sacked for finally speaking up at the Open (for which Rory thanked him at the time.)

Thanking him for finally giving him a reason to give him the Rudd Gullit.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

fullstop wrote: »
    I like it...Bory

Or Mones

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭benny79

Well Seve any truth to it? or reason behind it. Bad move IMO if true

Or Mones

Actually that's way more apt

• Registered Users Posts: 14,672 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

vienne86 wrote: »
    Smacks of desperation perhaps? Very surprising after his words about JP at the Open last week.

Wouldn't say desperation. Timing is surprising after his words last week.

We'll see over the coming months if a change gives him a boost.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,897 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

This is key for me - very bad timing and makes you concerned that Rory is now over accustomed to breaking ties with anyone who questions him at all.

Like what is wrong with - JP I'm changing everything in my game and this will be our last season.

I don't know the bloke - but a golf forum, so we speculate on these things. Rory just seems emotionally immature - he is 28 and you should be - well most people still are at that age. You need someone like a Dad , a friend, a boss who keeps you in line. Has Rory got that ?

Like it wouldn't surprise me if he puts a mate on the bag and not a pro caddie.

The tough thing for Rory - he could be known as a man who ended JPs career , probably one of the most successful caddies in last 20 years in the game. It may be an unintended consequence , but Rory is going to have to carry that on his shoulders (sorry for the pun)

Now - after all that , I think Rory could do with a change , 9 years was a bit stale , he needs someone who will kick his ass more, but that seems a dangerous place with Rory - he doesn't like it.

It is the same again with Rory , be it clubs, putting, wedding, soccer, Olympics - his timing is always a bit off, impulsive, emotional.

But that is why we like him too - he is unpredictable. Even his golf is emotional and impulsive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Few people stick with the same caddie for 10 years +.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

This is key for me - very bad timing and makes you concerned that Rory is now over accustomed to breaking ties with anyone who questions him at all.

Like what is wrong with - JP I'm changing everything in my game and this will be our last season.

I don't know the bloke - but a golf forum, so we speculate on these things. Rory just seems emotionally immature - he is 28 and you should be - well most people still are at that age. You need someone like a Dad , a friend, a boss who keeps you in line. Has Rory got that ?

Like it wouldn't surprise me if he puts a mate on the bag and not a pro caddie.

The tough thing for Rory - he could be known as a man who ended JPs career , probably one of the most successful caddies in last 20 years in the game. It may be an unintended consequence , but Rory is going to have to carry that on his shoulders (sorry for the pun)

Now - after all that , I think Rory could do with a change , 9 years was a bit stale , he needs someone who will kick his ass more, but that seems a dangerous place with Rory - he doesn't like it.

It is the same again with Rory , be it clubs, putting, wedding, soccer, Olympics - his timing is always a bit off, impulsive, emotional.

But that is why we like him too - he is unpredictable. Even his golf is emotional and impulsive.

JP will have no problem getting another good bag. Not many caddies have 4 majors, a fedex cup and multiple WGC's.

McIlroy is also responsible for JP being a multi-millionaire.

I really don't think Rory has to feel bad about anything.

I just hope it ended amicably and for professional reasons.

JP will have no problem getting another good bag. Not many caddies have 4 majors, a fedex cup and multiple WGC's.

True - but will he want one at his age - and if not , Rory will have ended his career.

McIlroy is also responsible for JP being a multi-millionaire.

And JP was there every step of the way - they must be good mates at this point, JP helped Rory become a billionaire (well on the way to)

I really don't think Rory has to feel bad about anything.

If he ended it over the open , Rory should feel an idiot and bad

I just hope it ended amicably and for professional reasons.

Again - with Rory wouldn't suprise me if it came from nowhere

Rory - doesn't play that much golf - wouldn't be a big deal to wait till end of season.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,908 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Ha ha so it was the caddies fault that Rory couldn't hit the green very often from 120 yards all year?

Again - with Rory wouldn't suprise me if it came from nowhere
    Rory - doesn't play that much golf - wouldn't be a big deal to wait till end of season.

At this stage he's his own worst enemy.

Quail Hollow 2 weeks, new caddie fumbling around trying to guess where McIlroy hit it the last time he set course record. Mmmm maybe i should have asked JP for his notes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,707 ✭✭✭SteM

True - but will he want one at his age - and if not , Rory will have ended his career.

Surely such a decorated caddie will be offered other jobs, if he is and declines then he's ending his own career.

If I get sacked tomorrow but another company offers me a job and I decline then I have retired and ended my career, not the company that sacked me.

• Advertisement

luvthegame wrote: »
    At this stage he's his own worst enemy.

I'm just making the point it lacks a bit of class.

Now Rory has done classy stuff (Irish open , charity stuff) - but could have done this different (IMO).

It is not the end of the world - and a good thing for Rory to shake things up.

JP is a very wealthy man and should go on a serious holiday. And enjoy life , carry a bag is a tough job on the body - I'd say most of them end up in bits. Fair play to JP keeping calm for all them years , with a lad who just doesn't take any input - I'd last about a week , then say - jaysus , Rory should we not maybe do some putting practice, your putting is crap :D

I'd love to see him have a caddy that he will take more direction from - but he genuinely doesn't seem to like that.

At the end of the day - I've faith in him as a golfer - he will turn it on at some point. I hope.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement