Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

JP will have no problem getting another good bag. Not many caddies have 4 majors, a fedex cup and multiple WGC's.

McIlroy is also responsible for JP being a multi-millionaire.

I really don't think Rory has to feel bad about anything.

I just hope it ended amicably and for professional reasons.

Agree with this, JP had a good reputation in the game in Ireland before Rory and he will have a choice of players to choose from, if thats what he wants to do.

For Rory to do it now is very odd, why so sudden. Hopefully it was an amicable split.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,897 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

SteM wrote: »
    Surely such a decorated caddie will be offered other jobs, if he is and declines then he's ending his own career.

If I get sacked tomorrow but another company offers me a job and I decline then I have retired and ended my career, not the company that sacked me.

All true, BUT.

When you are at the top of the game - can you really see a man with any sort of pride in his craft taking on a lad at say number 122 in the world. Or a pro starting out. It is not like soccer - most top bags are gone.

Will be interesting to see how it pans out. But perception is everything - if JP doesn't work again - it will be very negative for Rory. Even is the public perception is wrong _ Rory operates in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭A Shaved Duck?

Agree with this, JP had a good reputation in the game in Ireland before Rory and he will have a choice of players to choose from, if thats what he wants to do.

For Rory to do it now is very odd, why so sudden. Hopefully it was an amicable split.

Why is it odd for a caddie and a pro to stop working together, it happens all the time.

JP is a very wealthy man off the back off rory mcilroy and its all a bit mad on this forum where mcilroy is concerned..he cant do anything without being accused of being immature etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

ligerdub wrote: »
    Few people stick with the same caddie for 10 years +.
    Maybe because they don't win 4 majors and reach No 1.

At the end of the day nothing Rory says or does can seriously surprise us at this stage. Kinda lost interest in him to be fair.

Why is it odd for a caddie and a pro to stop working together, it happens all the time.

JP is a very wealthy man off the back off rory mcilroy and its all a bit mad on this forum where mcilroy is concerned..he cant do anything without being accused of being immature etc.

Because maybe he is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭luvthegame

and its all a bit mad on this forum where mcilroy is concerned..he cant do anything without being accused of being immature etc.

You are right BUT there are some reasonable posts in there as well. Its 2 weeks before the PGA on a course he loves. What can a new caddie bring to table in that time? JP knows his game inside out on that course.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

People have been calling for him to sack JP for years, now that he does it everyone loses their heads about it..

Because maybe he is.

So ending a partnership with his caddy as he felt he needed a change.. has never said anything negative about JP etc..

Defintley the actions of an immature person :rolleyes:

AdamD wrote: »
    People have been calling for him to sack JP for years, now that he does it everyone loses their heads about it..

No agree with this , I think the change is right - just timing poor.

It is a big decision - why would you do it at the wrong time - makes no sense , unless it was emotional or impulsive.

It will all be revealed how it happened.

luvthegame wrote: »
    You are right BUT there are some reasonable posts in there as well. Its 2 weeks before the PGA on a course he loves. What can a new caddie bring to table in that time? JP knows his game inside out on that course.

IF he changed at the start of the year there would be some reason why thats the wrong time also..

• Advertisement

IF he changed at the start of the year there would be some reason why thats the wrong time also..

There wouldn't .

There wouldn't .

Im sure you would find fault with it somehow.

AdamD wrote: »

Go through the posts instead of generalising. You'll find reasonable balanced arguments in there also, on both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Maybe because they don't win 4 majors and reach No 1.

At the end of the day nothing Rory says or does can seriously surprise us at this stage. Kinda lost interest in him to be fair.

The primary factor in that was McIlroy being such a good player. I'm sure JP was a good caddie and all but McIlroy is entitled to have who he wants on his bag.

Tiger ditched Fluff and Butch Harmon after his breakthrough, and most caddies end up working for several different players. How many bags has Colin Byrne been through at this stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Halfprice

JP will move on just like Bones will. Could be JP and Phill and Bones and Rory. Now that would be a good group in 1st 2 rounds of last Major :). Maybe Rory thinks he needs someone who is more stronger on the bag and thinks why didnt JP ever have a go at me before and thats what i need. Somebody who will give me a kick when i need it and not jus the odd time. For all we know JP might of said he wants a break..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Last 5 years

Rory needs to change his caddy

Rory changes caddy

Rory is immature and not a nice person

Gotta love this place

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

the only thing i find strange is the timing and that he was so full of praise so unless rory was actually annoyed at him strange that its just before the PGA.

but he may just need a change and with one of the best caddys ever in bones available he might see it as a chance to do it. Although i dont see him and bones working to well as rory never seems to be in too much chat with JP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

sky88 wrote: »
    the only thing i find strange is the timing and that he was so full of praise so unless rory was actually annoyed at him strange that its just before the PGA.

but he may just need a change and with one of the best caddys ever in bones available he might see it as a chance to do it. Although i dont see him and bones working to well as rory never seems to be in too much chat with JP.

Maybe Rory has come to the conclusion that he does need lots of chat from a caddy after seeing how JP(in Rory's opinion) turned his first day around last week.
    Maybe he has come to the realisation that if he wants to be top dog again he needs input but doesn't see jp as the man to do that long term.

Who knows really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭red ears

I agree, i see no issue with Rory deciding he would like to try someone new. That's life and business. He doesn't really owe JP a long career, JP did well out of the partnership. I'm sure he will get another decent bag.

I would say the field of the PGA Championship should watch out. Rory tends to do quite well after a split.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wardides

Halfprice wrote: »
    JP will move on just like Bones will. Could be JP and Phill and Bones and Rory. Now that would be a good group in 1st 2 rounds of last Major :). Maybe Rory thinks he needs someone who is more stronger on the bag and thinks why didnt JP ever have a go at me before and thats what i need. Somebody who will give me a kick when i need it and not jus the odd time. For all we know JP might of said he wants a break..

As expected I'm seeing lots of talk about Harry Diamond taking over. I agree with your part in Bold, Rory needs someone to be strong and dial him in, and his best mate Harry could be the worst thing he could do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

sky88 wrote: »

Which leads me to think that the new caddie has been lined up on the QT. I wonder will it be Steve Williams? Surely someone who has experience of winning majors in any case..

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Waccamacca3

Loire wrote: »
    Which leads me to think that the new caddie has been lined up on the QT. I wonder will it be Steve Williams? Surely someone who has experience of winning majors in any case..

Can't see them two working together Steve is a big personality would want to be in every picture with Rory after a win. Boast that he (Steve) has won a major when it's the player

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Can't see them two working together Steve is a big personality would want to be in every picture with Rory after a win.

Might suit Rory to have someone else in the limelight...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭benny79

Does it not strike anyone that all the press releases say Rory fired his caddy JP and not that they parted ways like Bones and Phil! Plus the fact its been leaked now he hasn't released a statement by social media or other venues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Loire wrote: »

Williams is retired. He's only on Scott's bag for the majors and I'm not sure he even does that anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

Surely one of the contributors/experts on this forum will be on Rory's bag for the rest of the year. There's no shortage of advice as to what he's doing wrong and where he can improve.

Brilliant post! What would you like us to talk about? His new range of nike clothing?

neddynasty wrote: »
    Surely one of the contributors/experts on this forum will be on Rory's bag for the rest of the year. There's no shortage of advice as to what he's doing wrong and where he can improve.

Thanks for that.

Golf forum here - like there are actualy people who know golf - know pros. And even if they don't, so what.

Like saying people in Cork shouldn't whinge about GAA - when clearly they are good at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭Dbu

Joe LaCava could be another option,
    Not doing a lot of work for Tiger at the moment
    Either him or Niall Horan :-)

• Advertisement

Harry Diamond to be on the bag this week in Firestone

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement