Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,756 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Exactly wrote: »
    Harry Diamond to be on the bag this week in Firestone
    Harry's a pretty decent golfer in his own right, isn't he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭luvthegame

Jesus no matter what handicap he is id say he'll crap himself when he actually has to make club selections for real in a huge event.

luvthegame wrote: »
    Jesus no matter what handicap he is id say he'll crap himself when he actually has to make club selections for real in a huge event.
    I think he's caddied for him before. And he's no club amateur, he won the West of Ireland a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭Dbu

Im a decent driver, but I wont be going into F1 anytime soon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

You are aware that at no point will the caddie be hitting any shots? :-)

• Advertisement

Dbu wrote: »
    Im a decent driver, but I wont be going into F1 anytime soon
    Well if you're trying to compare yourself to Harry Diamond, you'd need to be competing in Formula Ford before you could call yourself a driver. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

I think he's caddied for him before. And he's no club amateur, he won the West of Ireland a few years ago.

No club amateur? Thats exactly what he is.

To part with JP and take on, for one week at least if rumours are true, someone with so little experience looks like a very poor move.

To part with JP and take on, for one week at least if rumours are true, someone with so little experience looks like a very poor move.
    I probably should have qualified that with the word 'average' for the pedants on here. :(:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭Panrich

All true, BUT.

When you are at the top of the game - can you really see a man with any sort of pride in his craft taking on a lad at say number 122 in the world. Or a pro starting out. It is not like soccer - most top bags are gone.

Will be interesting to see how it pans out. But perception is everything - if JP doesn't work again - it will be very negative for Rory. Even is the public perception is wrong _ Rory operates in the area.

There might be a book in due course to keep the wolf from the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,697 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Maybe Rory's Missus had some input into the decision to drop JP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wardides

People need to realise JP was a decent caddy before Rory came along. He'll get another nice bag if he wants, but think TV could be a goldmine if he went for it, similar to Bones.

wardides wrote: »
    People need to realise JP was a decent caddy before Rory came along. He'll get another nice bag if he wants, but think TV could be a goldmine if he went for it, similar to Bones.
    Bones didn't have a choice really. His legs weren't up to the job any more afaik.

JP could still get another bag if he wants one. He may just want to call it a day though. He's made a lot of money over the last few years. Last year alone was estimated to be worth over one and a half million for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭mikeybrennan

Rory needed a new caddie to win more majors according to rte

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Bones didn't have a choice really. His legs weren't up to the job any more afaik.

Not sure how true that is. He was on course commentator at the open so probably covered more ground than he would have as a caddy. If his knees were that bad he would have been in the commentary booth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭mikeybrennan

Different carrying a bag though

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Dr Devious

Still no official word from Mcillroys camp which is strange in itself given the number of media outlets reporting it, it's obviously true when his management team hasn't come out yet to deny it. Was it JP who initiated the split? Surely last week was the time for mcillroy to make a change not a couple of days before a tournament IF it was his decision. Either way expect the usual PR guff tomorrow....an amicable split, wish each other well in the future, great mutual respect blah blah blah.

Different carrying a bag though
    Yeah. Those tour bags must be close to 20kgs with all the clubs, snacks, drinks, extra balls, clothing, brolly etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

The timing is so bad it suggests that the split is acrimonious. There's no way you plan to split with your caddie between the Open and PGA. Hard to see why he'd draw so much attention to JP at the Open if he planned to let him go. Looks like a really recent decision. He didn't even have a statement ready or anything like Phil and Bones.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Quintis

Raisins wrote: »
    The timing is so bad it suggests that the split is acrimonious. There's no way you plan to split with your caddie between the Open and PGA. Hard to see why he'd draw so much attention to JP at the Open if he planned to let him go. Looks like a really recent decision. He didn't even have a statement ready or anything like Phil and Bones.

Donegan on OTB suggests a bad club call by JP on the Saturday at the Open when people were passing Rory by might have been the final straw...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,399 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Quintis wrote: »
    Donegan on OTB suggests a bad club call by JP on the Saturday at the Open when people were passing Rory by might have been the final straw...

If that's the case, Rory's an even bigger <snip> than he already looks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,152 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

That failed "popstar" from Mullingar might need a job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

I don't like mcilroy, but from what I've seen of this caddy, and comments I've heard him make, this was a long time coming. Just handled terribly, but that's mcilroy all over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭JimmyMcGill

Least the man deserves is clarity on media outlets whats going on. Terrible treatment of a 4 time Major caddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,399 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

AnneFrank wrote: »
    I don't like mcilroy, but from what I've seen of this caddy, and comments I've heard him make, this was a long time coming. Just handled terribly, but that's mcilroy all over.

What comments, specifically, are you referring to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

James Corrigan in his Telegraph article below suggests that Harry Diamond will not only be on Rory's bag this week but for the final major of the year as well. Seems like such a rushed decision.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/golf/2017/07/31/rory-mcilroy-splits-caddie-nine-years-jp-fitzgerald-four-major/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

Ronan flood was Harringtons friend growing up in stackstown, was a decent golfer and had no previous caddy experience, was also his best man, this could turn out to be a master stroke, I'll be backing him tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 20,895 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

You got to admire the shear audaciousness of it all. Like for a man that has a PR crew, a management company - fair play to him going on these solo runs. You got to admire it in a way.

There is no way this seemed planed - or had any aspect of transition.

Harry a serious golfer - followed him a few times at Irish Amateur Open. Also a West Winner.
    So it is not off the wall stuff - but fairly serious step up, it is even a big change in job, life etc. Interesting the pro showing the caddie the ropes. The big positive , with Rory you have no , hotel, logistic problems, you have no real problems.

Harry from I what I recall is from a fairly wealthy background.

Anyway - best of luck to them , but no way I would want to work with a mate like that. Or be paying a mate to carry a bag. When you are your mates boss - you are not a mate are you.

Once Rory wins more majors - that is all that matters to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,895 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Ronan flood was Harringtons friend growing up in stackstown, was a decent golfer and had no previous caddy experience, was also his best man, this could turn out to be a master stroke, I'll be backing him tomorrow

Wouldn't surprise me if he comes out all guns blazing and plays well at start - but will petter out (IMO).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

I wouldn't be so quick to compare this to Harrington. Padraig is very mature man - retro video games in the basement, aside.. He is well educated and intelligent. He comes from a different generation and a different background.

I think parting with JP is probably a good decision, but hiring his best mate is yet another mistake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

It's hard to see Diamond on the bag full time. Doesn't he own or run a few bars or clubs up north. He is a business man so this would be some career change for him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement