Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Sometimes a best mate can be exactly what you need to give you a kick up the hole..

Not that hes actually going to hire him full time though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,755 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

fullstop wrote: »
    What comments, specifically, are you referring to?
    In this preview for the Masters there were comments about JP. Such as:
    More than once I've heard J.P. saying something like, 'OK, hit a soft draw with a 6-iron off that tree.' And I've immediately thought, This ball is going over the green. And sure enough, it does. So you have to wonder. I see Rory up close only occasionally, and I know he's going to hit the ball over the green when his caddie clearly doesn't. It makes no sense.

I think parting with JP is probably a good decision, but hiring his best mate is yet another mistake.
    If it's as sudden as it seems, Harry Diamond is probably the best short-term choice. They play golf together a lot, he's played practice rounds with Rory before big tournaments and has helped him with his putting: apparently he's an extremely good putter.

He wouldn't find anyone at short notice who knows his game better really. At the very least, he'd want to feel comfortable with the guy carrying his bag. The last thing he needs is to be trying to develop a relationship with someone in a big tournament.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

The only big surprise is the timing. Will wait to see if any reasons are given tomorrow.

Not surprised by Harry Diamond on the bag short term, plenty of experience as a top end amateur and would know Rory's game quite well.

fullstop wrote: »
    If that's the case, Rory's an even bigger dick than he already looks.
    Don't really see that tbh. It's the guy's job to call the correct club and it's hardly likely to have been the first time. These things build up over time until the last straw. From the link I posted above, other observers have seen this happen before.

Even if they're the best friends in the world, if you can't trust your caddy, it's over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,359 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Padraig is very mature man - retro video games in the basement, aside.. .

What the hell is wrong with retro video games ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭benny79

Quote:
    More than once I've heard J.P. saying something like, 'OK, hit a soft draw with a 6-iron off that tree.' And I've immediately thought, This ball is going over the green. And sure enough, it does. So you have to wonder. I see Rory up close only occasionally, and I know he's going to hit the ball over the green when his caddie clearly doesn't. It makes no sense.
    CMOTDibbler is online now Report Post

Im sure Rory and most other players pick their own clubs and just as their caddie's for distance and to confirm he's playing the right shot etc so I've heard at tour events even with Rory so would slightly disagree with the above!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

If it's as sudden as it seems, Harry Diamond is probably the best short-term choice. They play golf together a lot, he's played practice rounds with Rory before big tournaments and has helped him with his putting: apparently he's an extremely good putter.

He wouldn't find anyone at short notice who knows his game better really. At the very least, he'd want to feel comfortable with the guy carrying his bag. The last thing he needs is to be trying to develop a relationship with someone in a big tournament.

Well I suppose it depends on the personality of Harry Diamond and their friendship. I'd worry though that this is just choosing the most comfortable option. He is clearly not inclined to take criticism well, which is probably why he hasn't sought out a more demanding caddy before now.

If this is temporary, then we'll see. I'd love to see Steve Williams on his bag although currently he's elsewhere employed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

His manager was also a caddy for Stephen Browne on tour for a year or so. He has short term options.

"O’Flaherty was a low handicap amateur who went on to caddie for close friend Stephen Browne on tour. "

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/golf/the-team-behind-the-hero-279211.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,760 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

I read an article suggesting he hire Billy Foster.. is he available? I though Lee had him sewn up!

• Advertisement

Well I suppose it depends on the personality of Harry Diamond and their friendship. I'd worry though that this is just choosing the most comfortable option. He is clearly not inclined to take criticism well, which is probably why he hasn't sought out a more demanding caddy before now.
    By all accounts, it's not criticism he doesn't like, but bad advice. He particularly drew attention to the criticism he got from JP as a positive thing.
    If this is temporary, then we'll see. I'd love to see Steve Williams on his bag although currently he's elsewhere employed.
    Steve Williams is retired. He makes an exception for the majors and caddies for Adam Scott in those. So he's not really an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Wouldn't be surprising at all to see Rory go out and win this week and then the PGA.

If and a big if he has been thinking about letting jp go for a while now in his head surely that was a recipe for disaster on the course.
    Now with the change maybe he will be more relaxed.

Maybe he will miss both cuts it's hard to call what way this will go for him.

At the end of the day he has always been his own man and made choices which he feels are best for him. Fair play to him having the conviction to do it if he thinks it's best so who is anyone to question him

By all accounts, it's not criticism he doesn't like, but bad advice. He particularly drew attention to the criticism he got from JP as a positive thing.

Steve Williams is retired. He makes an exception for the majors and caddies for Adam Scott in those. So he's not really an option.

To be honest, I felt before he praised JP at the Open that that was going to be their last tournament together. I felt something had to give. He had to try everything and that's why I think it's a good decision to part ways. In hindsight maybe the parting of ways was a decision he had come to before the Open. Maybe Rory was trying to say something nice because he felt some guilt about having to sack the man, and he also knew people would be talking about JP's lack of direction as the reason. Maybe that was Rory's final 'thank you' to JP.

I still don't think he takes criticism well, if he can't pander to a few media vultures and ex-pros. I think his so-called management company is an absolute farce and he's just hired a bunch of yes-men.

Actually I think Rory is a nice, fairy normal person. A bit immature but having to become a sporting superstar at such a young age is not that easy. He didn't have time to develop as a person, polish off the edges like Harrington would have done during University, or experience the more humbling side of golf like Lowry would have done before breaking through. Rory didn't have time to assemble his thoughts before being shoved in front of a camera.

Fair enough about Steve Williams, but it wouldn't hurt to ask him.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,667 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

That failed "popstar" from Mullingar might need a job.

Off topic, but... Jaysis...How can you consider a multi multi millionaire a failed popstar?

To be honest, I felt before he praised JP at the Open that that was going to be their last tournament together. I felt something had to give. He had to try everything and that's why I think it's a good decision to part ways. In hindsight maybe the parting of ways was a decision he had come to before the Open. Maybe Rory was trying to say something nice because he felt some guilt about having to sack the man, and he also knew people would be talking about JP's lack of direction as the reason. Maybe that was Rory's final 'thank you' to JP.

I still don't think he takes criticism well, if he can't pander to a few media vultures and ex-pros. I think his so-called management company is an absolute farce and he's just hired a bunch of yes-men.

Actually I think Rory is a nice, fairy normal person. A bit immature but having to become a sporting superstar at such a young age is not that easy. He didn't have time to develop as a person, polish off the edges like Harrington would have done during University, or experience the more humbling side of golf like Lowry would have done before breaking through. Rory didn't have time to assemble his thoughts before being shoved in front of a camera.

Fair enough about Steve Williams, but it wouldn't hurt to ask him.
    He can be a bit emotional alright. If he's down and somebody takes a dig at him, he reacts. I kinda like that in him. It's not all corporate speak and calm waters. But that shows through in his golf too. I don't think you can seperate them tbh. He makes 'gut' decisions and runs with them both on and off the course. He's been very successful, so I'd hate to see him lose that.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

I've seen a fair few posts here saying McIlroy is immature. Can anyone elaborate as to why they think so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭mikeybrennan

neddynasty wrote: »
    I've seen a fair few posts here saying McIlroy is immature. Can anyone elaborate as to why they think so?

Timing of this for a start

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wardides

Timing of this for a start

Phil got rid of Bones several weeks ago, and played one tournament with his brother before missing the cut in the Open. What's the difference? Rory will get one tournament in before the PGA with his new caddy as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

wardides wrote: »
    Phil got rid of Bones several weeks ago, and played one tournament with his brother before missing the cut in the Open. What's the difference? Rory will get one tournament in before the PGA with his new caddy as well.

The difference is certain people are dying for Rory to fail and look for anything they can use to call him names that suits a predetermined agenda. Why that is is a deeper question.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Halfprice

Some laugh if Rory comes out and says JP wanted a change and i tried to convince him to stay on but he felt it was best. Im sure JP has heard or read all comments about him not been strong enough for Rory, and on the back of all that he has said to Rory that i think you need a change to get you back to where you belong. Ya never know

• Advertisement

I heard of a few lads in the club that he sacked him last Tuesday. So just after the Open and after singing his praises to the media. Pretty ****ty thing to do imo.. I actually think it was a mistake he won 4 majors with JP on the bag he cant be that bad! yes he had a meltdown in the Masters in 2011 but who hasn't first time been in that position in a Major at such a young age! Sure Spieth done it last year after winning it already and nearly done it again in the Open! Lowry has done it and countless others. The main thing was he bounced back and won 4.. It's so easy to blame the caddy! I bottled it in the final of my Captains day but it was my first time been in that position but I learn from it. Just a petty I hadn't a caddy to blame :D

Im not a Rory fan having seen him at Pro am's etc but love watching him but I think people like him need people he can trust around him. He could be forever searching for a caddy now that works well for him, that and new clubs, getting married to many changes altogether imo in the prime of his career..

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Dr Devious

"I heard of a few lads in the club that he sacked him last Tuesday. So just after the Open and after singing his praises to the media."
    Those lads in the club sure do keep you well informed.:)

benny79 wrote: »
    Im not a Rory fan having seen him at Pro am's etc but love watching him but I think people like him need people he can trust around him. He could be forever searching for a caddy now that works well for him, that and new clubs, getting married to many changes altogether imo in the prime of his career..
    Well if you're going to make substantial changes, the same year other changes are forced on you would be a good choice.

I'm not saying his marriage was forced on him, but you know what I mean. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭mikeybrennan

I fancy him to make a big improvement in the short-term at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

benny79 wrote: »
    I heard of a few lads in the club that he sacked him last Tuesday. So just after the Open and after singing his praises to the media. Pretty ****ty thing to do imo.. I actually think it was a mistake he won 4 majors with JP on the bag he cant be that bad! yes he had a meltdown in the Masters in 2011 but who hasn't first time been in that position in a Major at such a young age! Sure Spieth done it last year after winning it already and nearly done it again in the Open! Lowry has done it and countless others. The main thing was he bounced back and won 4.. It's so easy to blame the caddy! I bottled it in the final of my Captains day but it was my first time been in that position but I learn from it. Just a petty I hadn't a caddy to blame :D

Sacks caddy for first time in ten years and he's now someone who uses his caddy as an excuse.

What a load of ****e. Do people even stop to think about how bitter what they write will sound to others?

His unnecessary reactions to criticism by members of the press, giving them more attention than they were ever likely to get.

Telling lies initially about why he skipped the Olympics.

His inability (more often than not) to recover from a dropped shot or a bad few holes. Most of the top players are very good at bouncing back. (obviously the first round at the Open is an exception). I think that's a sign of immaturity.

But loads of stuff I would applaud him for, including skipping the Olympics and telling the truth in the end, throwing clubs in the water (good to see he cares), playing a round with Trump (for which he was roundly criticized for some bizarre reason but I defended), sacking his caddie in an attempt to rediscover his best game

His unnecessary reactions to criticism by members of the press, giving them more attention than they were ever likely to get.

Telling lies initially about why he skipped the Olympics.

His inability (more often than not) to recover from a dropped shot or a bad few holes. Most of the top players are very good at bouncing back. (obviously the first round at the Open is an exception). I think that's a sign of immaturity.

But loads of stuff I would applaud him for, including skipping the Olympics and telling the truth in the end, throwing clubs in the water (good to see he cares), playing a round with Trump (for which he was roundly criticized for some bizarre reason but I defended), sacking his caddie in an attempt to rediscover his best game
    The original Olympics lie, I believe was at the behest of the infamous Pat Hickey. A 'don't denigrate the games' kind of statement. There was clearly no love lost there because McIlroy tweeted and then deleted a comment about Karma when Hickey was arrested. I saw the tweet. Briefly. :)

I think he's lost trust in JP. That's the death knell for a player caddie relationship. He could still like the guy on a personal level, but if you're second guessing your caddy, you may as well not have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

Loads of comments he has made and then come out with the 180 degree opposite view, Ryder Cup etc - loads of examples throughout his career but the Elkington exchange tippifies it for me

Jayop wrote: »
    Sacks caddy for first time in ten years and he's now someone who uses his caddy as an excuse.

What a load of ****e. Do people even stop to think about how bitter what they write will sound to others?

Why else do you get sacked? because you did wrong in some way or other.. They didn't part ways he was sacked after 9/10 years of service and finishing 4th in The Open after a very poor start which he gave his caddy credit for and is some achievement in itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Loads of comments he has made and then come out with the 180 degree opposite view, Ryder Cup etc - loads of examples throughout his career but the Elkington exchange tippifies it for me

Elkington deserved everything he got and more. He went personal on McIlroy on something he couldn't have known anything about for certain. Fair enough on the likes of us making these comments, but Elkington is in the business, reaches a big audience, and should have known better.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement