Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

No time for the guy since he dumped his childhood sweetheart as soon as he got a sniff of the big times. She was there at the beginning and for the bad times as he worked his way up.

I know nothing much about Golf but i know that is a ridiculous thing to say, the words of an unhappy Joe if he lives his life that way. A partner isn't some kind of investment, it isn't some sort of business deal or contract. I would say that you sound old fashioned but even my dead Grandma wouldn't have said the likes.

It's disappointing to see the photos in the Tabloids this morning of a private moment between the two. He's a young bloke and maybe people forget that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,973 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Utah_Saint wrote: »
    I'm sure Nike are highly delighted about this :rolleyes:

More distractions...I'd be shocked if he wins anything this year because "his head isn't right"

did you ever stop and think that maybe he is getting rid of a distraction?????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Utah_Saint

stevieob wrote: »
    did you ever stop and think that maybe he is getting rid of a distraction?????

I understand that....but no doubt it will take him a year or 2 to sort himself out as his "head won't be right"

Then there is always the wee meet ups that they will no doubt be having as they potentially look to rekindle their romance for it to ultimately fail a few months later...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭big_drive

No time for the guy since he dumped his childhood sweetheart as soon as he got a sniff of the big times. She was there at the beginning and for the bad times as he worked his way up.

One of the most silly things i've read on this thread. Everyone should stay with someone they start going out with during their teens is that what you're actually saying?? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

Right which one of year did this??? :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

Right which one of year did this??? :-)

And no friends yet !!. You know what to do :D

She might go to one of the outings now she's back in the hunt. Request sent!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

id stick a few bob on her getting up on some toerag liverpool player in the next 6 months if paddy power have any prices available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

It's funny that Rory's situation hits the headlines and then you see lots of posts from people who hardly ever contribute in the golf forum and suddenly there is a flock of experts who know what's best for Rory and are also experts at giving relationship advice (even though they know nothing about his relationships other than what they read in rags).

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

This is the golf forum, not AH, post accordingly or infractions are coming.

This thread should be about the golfer, not the person or his private life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭LinksLad

Great shot at the 7th! Threw it way past the pin, spun, kissed the rough and took the slopes all the way.

Eagle 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bobwilliams

GreeBo wrote: »
    This is the golf forum, not AH, post accordingly or infractions are coming.

This thread should be about the golfer, not the person or his private life.

to be fair the thread is titled 'Rory McElroy',so we can ONLY talk golf?
    Surely things affecting his life that impacts on his golf should be allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Its the Golf forum, not the Hello magazine forum.
    The fact he has called off his wedding potentially affects his golf life; there is ZERO need to go into the rights and wrongs of it, who he should have married instead or how fat someone is going to get.

Do not reply again on thread, PM me if you require more further clarification.

Unreal shot there.... Nearly an albatros

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

big_drive wrote: »
    Unreal shot there.... Nearly an albatros

Incredible

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

<MOD EDIT>

On an entirely relevant to the thread observation, Christ he looks p*ssed off. I've always admired the way he carries himself on the course no matter what, sure the shoulders slouch and he hasn't got that big strong triumphant walk when he's in the sh*t but he always managed a warm smile and chuckle with his playing partner or caddie...today he just looks miserable, gutted for the lad, hurts a lot and we've all been there, he's done nothing wrong and it's just life...demonstrates what a real pro he is, can see himself and Lowry hitting the jar tonight and having a shocker tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

mal1 wrote: »
    I know nothing much about Golf but i know that is a ridiculous thing to say, the words of an unhappy Joe if he lives his life that way. A partner isn't some kind of investment, it isn't some sort of business deal or contract. I would say that you sound old fashioned but even my dead Grandma wouldn't have said the likes.

It's disappointing to see the photos in the Tabloids this morning of a private moment between the two. He's a young bloke and maybe people forget that.

I agree on 2 things here. I probably am a little old fashioned, and your dead Grandma definitely can't say the likes!

Brilliant bogey, if such a thing exists. Hopefully can birdie 18th

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Another good job by JP there on 17.

Outstanding opening round given the off course stuff

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

Can't believe Tim Barter asked Rory about his emotions regarding the break-up. :mad: ... Rory volunteers to come and talk about his round at the Sky Cart and that's exactly what the questions should have been about... his golf.

Ya the commentators keep saying he should be given space and left alone yet they keep mentioning it!!

Up and down from 182 yards!!

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Dealerz

That 2nd hole par 3 of 154yards just doesn't suit Rory's eye, a bogey on both days so far!

Anyone see what happened him on this hole yesterday and today... Just curious! And please don't reply with ....he missed the par putt 😢

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

Really finding it hard to follow Rory these days. You know no matter how well he is playing, that there will be a stretch of bogies where he will rule himself out of the tournament. A big last day drags him back up to top 10.

As I type, he's just gone bogey-bogey; here we go. Frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,973 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

to be fair the thread is titled 'Rory McIlroy'

looks like he has a lot to do today after that start

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

stevieob wrote: »
    to be fair the thread is titled 'Rory McIlroy'

looks like he has a lot to do today after that start

That's exactly my point. He makes it very difficult for himself. You'ld expect more consistency. All the players have off-tournaments but he has off-stretches within tournaments.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

The Peanut wrote: »
    That's exactly my point. He makes it very difficult for himself. You'ld expect more consistency. All the players have off-tournaments but he has off-stretches within tournaments.

PGA
    WGC-HSBC Champ -T6
    WGC Match Play - T17
    Honda Classic - T2
    WGC-Cadillac - T25
    Houston Open - T7
    The Masters - T8
    Wells Fargo - T8
    PLAYERS Champ - T6

European Tour
    Abu Dhabi HSBC Golf Championship - T2
    Omega Dubai Desert Classic - T9

While I know he has high standards he's not doing too bad :)

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Dealerz

PGA
    WGC-HSBC Champ -T6
    WGC Match Play - T17
    Honda Classic - T2
    WGC-Cadillac - T25
    Houston Open - T7
    The Masters - T8
    Wells Fargo - T8
    PLAYERS Champ - T6

European Tour
    Abu Dhabi HSBC Golf Championship - T2
    Omega Dubai Desert Classic - T9

While I know he has high standards he's not doing too bad :)

I can see both points of view, yes above demonstrates very good consistency for the end finishing position, however if he didn't have these blips mid tournament, maybe (ideal world for Rory!) he would have won all those tournaments above, make sense?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭gman127

Dealerz wrote: »
    I can see both points of view, yes above demonstrates very good consistency for the end finishing position, however if he didn't have these blips mid tournament, maybe (ideal world for Rory!) he would have won all those tournaments above, make sense?

It's very true that if he would stop the bad runs from at least being so bad he'd definitely have won at least 2/3 times this year so far.

Alot of those good finishes were from a strong final day from the middle of the pack, I wonder would they have been so good if he started each Sunday maybe 1 or 2 shots from the lead.

After all it is golf and everyone has a bad stretch at some point, especially over 4 days, it's just about riding it out with minimal damage.

Judge a golfer by how good his bad rounds are I say!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement