Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

benny79 wrote: »
    Why else do you get sacked? because you did wrong in some way or other.. They didn't part ways he was sacked after 9/10 years of service and finishing 4th in The Open after a very poor start which he gave his caddy credit for and is some achievement in itself.

If Rory feels a new caddy will improve his chances then he absolutely has to do that. That doesn't mean he's blaming Jp. It just means he thinks someone else can do better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Why else do you get sacked? because you did wrong in some way or other.. They didn't part ways he was sacked after 9/10 years of service and finishing 4th in The Open after a very poor start which he gave his caddy credit for and is some achievement in itself.

I really don't get the outrage when caddies are sacked. The guy was fortunate to be the caddy of probably the highest earning golfer in the last ten years. I'm fairly certain McIlroy would have been as successful with or without J.P Fitzgerald.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

Loads of comments he has made and then come out with the 180 degree opposite view, Ryder Cup etc - loads of examples throughout his career but the Elkington exchange tippifies it for me

Calling him immature over his Ryder Cup comments? He was 20 at the time! He has matured a lot since.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭benny79

Jayop wrote: »
    If Rory feels a new caddy will improve his chances then he absolutely has to do that. That doesn't mean he's blaming Jp. It just means he thinks someone else can do better.

I think you might of picked up my last comment wrong I was referring to the media always blaming his caddy not Rory himself obviously he can change if he wants. I just think sacked is harsh & timing after 9/10 years together while couldn't they have sat down and say look I want to try different avenues etc

Its just the manner in which it happened doesn't sit well with me.. Yes he's made a lot of money etc etc but he also showed loyalty for a long time and never put himself in the spotlight just worked away in the background same as Harro's caddy..

but agree with above

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

I think you might of picked up my last comment wrong I was referring to the media always blaming his caddy not Rory himself obviously he can change if he wants. I just think sacked is harsh & timing after 9/10 years together while couldn't they have sat down and say look I want to try different avenues etc

Its just the manner in which it happened doesn't sit well with me.. Yes he's made a lot of money etc etc but he also showed loyalty for a long time and never put himself in the spotlight just worked away in the background same as Harro's caddy..

but agree with above

You don't know what happened or what was said between the two. How then can you not like it? It'll be interesting to see what McIlroy says in his press conference. Until then everything is conjecture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

ligerdub wrote: »
    Elkington deserved everything he got and more. He went personal on McIlroy on something he couldn't have known anything about for certain. Fair enough on the likes of us making these comments, but Elkington is in the business, reaches a big audience, and should have known better.

Couldn't disagree more - Elkington is known for being a dick, somebody with more maturity would have ignored him as opposed to boasting about how much they were worth, didn't look good for Rory IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭benny79

tobsey wrote: »
    You don't know what happened or what was said between the two. How then can you not like it? It'll be interesting to see what McIlroy says in his press conference. Until then everything is conjecture.

How do you know what I know and don't know? Ireland is a small Country ;) Lets just say after 9/10 years together he could of handled it better..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

but agree with above

Sorry picked you up wrong Benny.

Ah it's easy to be loyal picking up a million and a half in a year. Nice change.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

In this preview for the Masters there were comments about JP. Such as:

Neither McIlroy or JP made those comments, which the OP had suggested...unless they talk about themselves in the third person.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Harry Diamond being tipped to get it full time according to some reports on twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

Seems like he only wants people around him who are family or long friends. Past few years have been going that way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

Do you think JP signed a non disclosure agreement with him ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,895 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I often think at these times - what is he paying his management team and pr team for.

It seems like a big drama or unplanned event every few months.

levitronix wrote: »

Could be just loyalty. It does exist in the modern world.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

I often think at these times - what is he paying his management team and pr team for.

It seems like a big drama or unplanned event every few months.

Rory does seem to react emotionally. Good thing or bad thing who knows.
    He isn't robotic like other top sports stars bjt I enjoy the surprises from him personally.

He is marmite

ForeRight wrote: »
    Rory does seem to react emotionally. Good thing or bad thing who knows.
    He isn't robotic like other top sports stars bjt I enjoy the surprises from him personally.

He is marmite

It is all a bit more dramatic - I like it :)

But at this stage, The Dublin Footballers are run more professionally.

It is all a bit more dramatic - I like it :)

But at this stage, The Dublin Footballers are run more professionally.

They are more professional than most professional outfits in sports these days it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

levitronix wrote: »
    Nope but Rory made him a multi millionaire and he doesn't seem like the Steve Williams type so don't expect any jp interviews anytime soon.

By the way on the maturity thing.

He is 28 - he should be immature. And that is not an issue when you have someone in your team who - you will listen to and take advice. We don't know the bloke - but with all the stuff he does you can see he is his own man. That is a great strength - but also a weakness.

When you hear Spieth and the others talk - they genuinely buy into this team concept. They are truly immersed in it. You don't get anything like that from Rory at all.

The first time he did it (in a while) was during The Open - he sacks the lad 2 weeks later. It is very funny in a way.

Anyway - will be fascinating to see how next few months pan out.

• Advertisement

By the way on the maturity thing.

He is 28 - he should be immature. And that is not an issue when you have someone in your team who - you will listen to and take advice. We don't know the bloke - but with all the stuff he does you can see he is his own man. That is a great strength - but also a weakness.

When you hear Spieth and the others talk - they genuinely buy into this team concept. They are truly immersed in it. You don't get anything like that from Rory at all.

The first time he did it (in a while) was during The Open - he sacks the lad 2 weeks later. It is very funny in a way.

Anyway - will be fascinating to see how next few months pan out.

I don't have any issue with someone being their own man if they had strong views and stuck with them but Rory just seems to say whatever comes into his head, then a short time later totally contradicts himself and he does this again and again.

Look at the clubs thing - he said he wasn't going to sign a big contract and was going to take a couple of years working out what suited him best...shortly after this he signs a 14 club deal with TM

• Registered Users Posts: 7,755 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

I don't have any issue with someone being their own man if they had strong views and stuck with them but Rory just seems to say whatever comes into his head, then a short time later totally contradicts himself and he does this again and again.

Look at the clubs thing - he said he wasn't going to sign a big contract and was going to take a couple of years working out what suited him best...shortly after this he signs a 14 club deal with TM
    I don't think he said 'a couple of years', just that he'd take his time. And it was almost a year after Nike's announcement that he signed with TM.

But most people are extremely malleable at a young age. President Trump is at 71 :D . Sure I am myself from one Friday to the next.

It is a different topic, but related - what experience does Rory have to run a major operation like his golf business. He has no qualification at all. What has he done. Played golf, travelled the world and stayed in 5 star hotels. He has had people running around for him and everyone around him is payed by him.
    It is a strange place to be - and at times you must feel like exerting your control over the machine around you.

People think it is a great life - and it looks it. But you could certainly crack under that spotlight. Getting his mate on the bag - is a bit of a childish act at this time of the year. Even at a basic human level , don't pay your mate to travel the world with you. Even worse - don't do it mid season , between majors when you already have too many uncertainties in your game. And - you have a loyal guy on the bag who you trusted for this long.

Like who is he actually talking these things over with ?

At the end of the day - the chemistry has not looked right between JP and Rory for a long time, it should have ended way earlier.

It could have ended in a planed way - but with Rory it genuinely seems like rush of blood to the head stuff.

And above all armchair pure mature / immature reflection.

He was right to end it with JP (IMO) -but he could have done it differently , but that is life. We all make rash decisions we regret later in life.

Do we still not have a statement - that is actually pathetic stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭red ears

I wonder did Spieth winning and the praise he heaped on his caddie make McIlroy think a bit about his relationship with JP. It seems Spieth's caddie really helped pull him round those last few holes of the British Open.

red ears wrote: »
    I wonder did Spieth winning and the praise he heaped on his caddie make McIlroy think a bit about his relationship with JP. It seems Spieth's caddie really helped pull him round those last few holes of the British Open.

Spieth will probably sack his caddie next week now. :)

People are saying it's a mistake to change caddy between majors but I don't really buy into that.
    Rory hasn't won a major in 3 years so what's the issue with the change in relation to that.

He's hardly on a winning streak at the moment so things can't be any worse major wise

ForeRight wrote: »
    People are saying it's a mistake to change caddy between majors but I don't really buy into that.
    Rory hasn't won a major in 3 years so what's the issue with the change in relation to that.

He's hardly on a winning streak at the moment so things can't be any worse major wise

His not winning a major has nothing to do with his caddie though - his poor putting and awful average distance with short irons/wedges is the problem - how is changing his caddie going to help this areas?!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭Ronney

[QUOTE=BigChap1759;104256682

Look at the clubs thing - he said he wasn't going to sign a big contract and was going to take a couple of years working out what suited him best...shortly after this he signs a 14 club deal with TM[/QUOTE]

Think people need to get over the club thing,

As far as Irons go Taylormade are essentially designing a new set round his preference.

https://community.taylormadegolf.com/t5/Blog/CREATING-RORS-PROTO-IRONS-with-Tomo-Bystedt/ba-p/920

TM also are No.1 on tour for Drivers with 1/2 the lads averaging 300+ using them

I would say I'm a bit surprised he didnt go 13 clubs keeping putter out as no matter how close it looks or feels, psychologically its not the same as an other brand

Ronney wrote: »
    Think people need to get over the club thing,

As far as Irons go Taylormade are essentially designing a new set round his preference.

https://community.taylormadegolf.com/t5/Blog/CREATING-RORS-PROTO-IRONS-with-Tomo-Bystedt/ba-p/920

TM also are No.1 on tour for Drivers with 1/2 the lads averaging 300+ using them

I would say I'm a bit surprised he didnt go 13 clubs keeping putter out as no matter how close it looks or feels, psychologically its not the same as an other brand

This is part of the problem though - he obviously did 14 clubs because they threw a load of extra money at him - he has "more like $200m" in the bank but he's prepared to handicap himself with a TM putter for a few more dollars.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,755 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

People think it is a great life - and it looks it. But you could certainly crack under that spotlight. Getting his mate on the bag - is a bit of a childish act at this time of the year. Even at a basic human level , don't pay your mate to travel the world with you. Even worse - don't do it mid season , between majors when you already have too many uncertainties in your game. And - you have a loyal guy on the bag who you trusted for this long.
    If you lose trust in your bag man, it has to end straight away. You can't go out on the course second guessing every piece of advice he gives you. And if you replace them pro tem, it has to be somebody that you have a relationship with. Hiring a new caddy takes time and building a relationship and their knowledge of your game also takes time. I can't see him hiring anyone until after the Tour Championship. Both because it's a pretty intense run in and because no caddy will switch bags in the middle of all that. Unless they're already free that is.
    Do we still not have a statement - that is actually pathetic stuff.
    Getting one today afaik.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement