Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

sentient_6 wrote: »
    Who the f**k is Harry Diamond?

Rory's best mate from childhood. He's an accomplished golfer too.

Why does he need to be someone we know? Wasn't spieths caddy a maths teacher in a secondary school before he was picked up

• Registered Users Posts: 17,987 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Very interesting to see how he gets on today.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

His reason for sacking JP was that it was conflicting with their friendship, which he says is more important.

So he then replaces JP with one of his closest friends......

As an interim arrangement, maybe but if his explanation is correct, then his next caddy should be a virtual stranger. We'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Very interesting to see how he gets on today.

Wouldn't be surprised if he wins it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

First Up wrote: »
    His reason for sacking JP was that it was conflicting with their friendship, which he says is more important.

As an interim arrangement, maybe but if his explanation is correct, then his next caddy should be a virtual stranger. We'll see.

Willets old caddie is favourite now for the job.

Even if he goes and wins over the next 2 weeks I don't see Harry staying on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭benny79

I'm hearing from people who actually know Rory that he and his caddy are really too close and Rory feels he needs to change things.
    While most players and caddies only meet on the first tee, Rory and JP were staying in the same hotels, eating together etc. Rory felt that it had to change.

Really.. I heard from a very reliable source that he didnt have the decency to say it to JP face to face and rang him and totally caught JP by surprise as he wasn't expecting it at all..

I presume that most caddies would stay in the same hotel and eat together as they are a team.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I'm hearing from people who actually know Rory that he and his caddy are really too close and Rory feels he needs to change things.
    While most players and caddies only meet on the first tee, Rory and JP were staying in the same hotels, eating together etc. Rory felt that it had to change.
    benny79 wrote: »
    Really.. I heard from a very reliable source that he didnt have the decency to say it to JP face to face and rang him and totally caught JP by surprise as he wasn't expecting it at all..

I presume that most caddies would stay in the same hotel and eat together as they are a team.

Everyone seems to know Rory or a buddy of Rory :)

My own take on having a buddy on the bag is that it's 2 important weeks and pretty much just needs someone to carry the bag. Harry will probably have very little input if Rory intends on taking more responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

benny79 wrote: »

They're not a team. They're employer/employee. Teammates can't fire each other. I'd be surprised if most of the caddies are paying to stay in luxury hotels when the golfers probably get them for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

They're not a team. They're employer/employee. Teammates can't fire each other. I'd be surprised if most of the caddies are paying to stay in luxury hotels when the golfers probably get them for free.

This is complete nonsense - look at speith, day and DJ - all have unbelievably close relationships with their caddies and always talk about "we"

Then was does every golfer especially Speith when they win say its not just him that wins its the team ie caddy, manager etc as he couldnt do it without them.. As they are a team. Lose as a team and win as a team..

• Advertisement

Keano wrote: »
    Everyone seems to know Rory or a buddy of Rory :)

In fairness Keano its Ireland aren't we all related :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,755 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

This is complete nonsense - look at speith, day and DJ - all have unbelievably close relationships with their caddies and always talk about "we"
    Spieth does play the boss though. The time he walked off the green after an eagle and told Greller to 'get that' (the ball from the hole) was a bit offhand to say the least.

Austin Johnson's actually a decent golfer too. But I think it's different with family than friends. The 'we' thing I often think is a kind of forced modesty. I'm never sure if it's genuine or not.

Strangely enough, both Spieth's and Day's caddies are (or have been) also their coaches. That does change the dynamic a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

The caddies of most pros certainly dont stay in the same hotel etc. They are a team on the field of play but after that they go their separate ways pretty much.
    Most caddies have to pay for their own travel and accommodation so do so very much at the budget end of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

I would also say 'we' when discussing my staff and what 'we' do. It's great for morale. I won't be giving them an equal share of the money though and neither will Spieth.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

The 'we' thing I often think is a kind of forced modesty. I'm never sure if it's genuine or not.

I always think the 'we' thing is a sports psychology concept so all the responsibility isn't seen to be lying with the person hitting the ball. So if things are going wrong the responsibility is shared and the impact on the golfers mindset is minimized.

Similar to standing on a par 3 with water next to the green. You stand up on the tee thinking 'don't hit it in the water', well then the ball is going in the water. You stand up on the tee thinking 'I'm striking this well today and the ball will land on the green', well then the ball will land on or somewhere near the green.

I think McIlroy holds his hands up a lot and takes responsibility for poor rounds and doesn't buy into the 'we' thing......yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭Russman

As the caddies might say, "we had 3 birdies on the front nine and then he had a bogey on the 12th" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,755 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Rory-McIlroy-Harry-Diamond.jpg

Rory: "I reckon it's about 140 yards, what do you think Harry?"
    Harry: "Puff, gasp, pant..."

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭Russman

Great photo for a caption competition !!

"....eh, boss, you weren't really attached to your 7 iron were you ? I'm sure it'll be handed in......."

• Registered Users Posts: 20,895 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Rory " Harry, do I hit yards or meters ?"
    Harry " Em, yards in US and meters in Europe, can you use a laser out here ?"

Harry to himself ! - jaysus this bag is heavy , I don't know how to break to him that , I was only having a laugh in Vegas about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭big_drive

The size of the pro bags are something else

• Advertisement

big_drive wrote: »
    The size of the pro bags are something else

It has to be big enough for their ego.. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭mikeybrennan

Hopefully JP will go on and win more majors

He definitely has it in him

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Telecaster58

First Up wrote: »

Laughed when I read that. We've all said something similar when dumping a girlfriend, or heard it said when being dumped. "It's not you, it's me..."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭Dbu

Rory has stated that he is enjoying reading yardage books again, so just shows how much trust he had in JP by letting him do all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Spieth does play the boss though. The time he walked off the green after an eagle and told Greller to 'get that' (the ball from the hole) was a bit offhand to say the least.

Austin Johnson's actually a decent golfer too. But I think it's different with family than friends. The 'we' thing I often think is a kind of forced modesty. I'm never sure if it's genuine or not.

Strangely enough, both Spieth's and Day's caddies are (or have been) also their coaches. That does change the dynamic a bit.

I'd have been really annoyed at that if I were the caddy. I know it's a fairly submissive role, and given the stage in the tournament I'd be inclined to keep quiet until the thing was over, but I'd be saying to him about a day or two later that if that ever happens again it will be with somebody else on the bag not him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

ligerdub wrote: »
    I'd have been really annoyed at that if I were the caddy. I know it's a fairly submissive role, and given the stage in the tournament I'd be inclined to keep quiet until the thing was over, but I'd be saying to him about a day or two later that if that ever happens again it will be with somebody else on the bag not him.

Really? You'd walk away from a million-dollar job over that?? The things people claim on the internet always give me a giggle :D

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    Really? You'd walk away from a million-dollar job over that?? The things people claim on the internet always give me a giggle :D

Probably yeah. There are other bags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭mikeybrennan

ligerdub wrote: »
    Probably yeah. There are other bags.

Ya but would you get them after walking?

Ya but would you get them after walking?

You might, if you're a good caddy you will.

It's not unprecedented. Suneson left Faldo's bag for example.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭red ears

Rory-McIlroy-Harry-Diamond.jpg

Yeah poor aul Harry looks like he is finding it tough going out there.. :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement