Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,895 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Synode wrote: »
    Covering all the bases there FixdePitchmark

Well it is golf. It is Rory - you can't really predict with say 95% certainty ever. So we are only having a punt. I just can't see him having 4 good rounds.

I said he would have a good round he has - part 1 right :)

But we have seen this with Rory a few times. He responds to temporary inspiration - bit like his last day run he gets in majors. This actually does my head in now - as always too late and he has had some sort of mood on day 1/2/3 that did the damage.

Like can someone say when the last time Rory had 4 good rounds ? Even 3 rounds in the 60s is rare enough ?
    I know it is rare any pro has 4 good rounds - but the top guys can all do it.. and the guys winning events are in the 60 s 3/4 times - sometimes 4.

So, he will go out have a little wobble and head will drop. That is Rory. He hasn't shown much else in a while.

Everyone out there is questioning can Rory get 4 good rounds together - and one of them is say a 69 not playing great. All the others can do that. He can't , it is a fairly serious problem for someone that is suppose to be at the top top of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,755 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Like can someone say when the last time Rory had 4 good rounds ? Even 3 rounds in the 60s is rare enough ?
    I know it is rare any pro has 4 good rounds - but the top guys can all do it.. and the guys winning events are in the 60 s 3/4 times - sometimes 4.

So, he will go out have a little wobble and head will drop. That is Rory. He hasn't shown much else in a while.

Everyone out there is questioning can Rory get 4 good rounds together - and one of them is say a 69 not playing great. All the others can do that. He can't , it is a fairly serious problem for someone that is suppose to be at the top top of the game.
    The four good round thing is very rare. Last time Rory did it and won was in Dubai in November 2015: 68-68-65-66. His last major (PGA) was 66-67-67-68.

But he's often won with one average round. The Open had a 71 in his last round. The Deutsche Bank he had a 71 in his first round and the Tour Championship had a 70 in his second.

As a comparison, Spieth's win at the Open came with two one under 69s, his Masters came with two 70s and his US Open with a 71. It's really not necessary to have four good rounds in the 60s to win a tournament or even a major. Any time that's happened it's been pretty much a walkover.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭dennyire

Totally agreeFix...unlesess he can consisistenly shoot in the 60,s he is wasting his time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭blackcard

What is frustating about supporting Rory is that his driving is magnificent, his long irons are brilliant, his scrambling and bunker play is very good. His putting is streaky but can be very good. However, his wedges are way below par and have been for a couple of years. He is one step away from being a true superstar.

dennyire wrote: »
    Totally agreeFix...unlesess he can consisistenly shoot in the 60,s he is wasting his time

:D

Jaysus- I didn't say that.

you can win a serious amount of money being like Matt Kuchar or Jason Dufner.

Rory is miles ahead of them lads - but behind them in FedExCup.

He has had a terrible season - with the usual mitigating reasons - his life, equipment, the injuries, team, mood, love life, nationality, Olympic zika crap, tooth ache, caddy issues , soccer injuries, girlfriend issues (:D I know about 5 years there)

I mean I'm getting a bit bored of him at this stage, he has done little in a major in 3 years (by world leading player standards).

I love him when he is into golf and working hard - but I just don't think he is into it, or dedicated to it.

It is just a personal thing - I love guys dedicated to their craft. You even see guys with 1/2 his talent more dedicated.

I know at some time - all that will change and he will win a few majors quick. But he is taking a big chance - golf and the body and mind can take away, from even the greatest players that ever walked this earth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭Russman

I love him when he is into golf and working hard - but I just don't think he is into it, or dedicated to it.

It is just a personal thing - I love guys dedicated to their craft. You even see guys with 1/2 his talent more dedicated.

Ah I don't know Fix. Neither you, nor I, nor anyone really, knows how dedicated he is or isn't. If his rib injury from earlier in the year was from hitting balls testing clubs, that doesn't seem to be someone not dedicated.

I think also, and its open to debate, that for players of his calibre, ie once in a generation type talents, hitting an extra few buckets of balls doesn't matter a whole heap either way. Its great for Joe Bloggs plodder who wants to improve but IMO with Rory its mostly down to where his head is at. I'm far, far, from an expert, but he seems to hit it and swing it much the same, year on year. Not suggesting hard work isn't required of course, but given his results in the last few seasons (good or bad depending on how you view them, but exceptional for anyone except himself) I'd say he has the groundwork done in terms of practice.

I'd guess that once he gets the wedges dialled in (didn't TM say something when they signed him that he'd be changing setup from course to course - 54/58 & 52/56/59 or something like that ?) and gets match practice so to speak he'll be fine.

Russman wrote: »
    Ah I don't know Fix. Neither you, nor I, nor anyone really, knows how dedicated he is or isn't. If his rib injury from earlier in the year was from hitting balls testing clubs, that doesn't seem to be someone not dedicated.

I think also, and its open to debate, that for players of his calibre, ie once in a generation type talents, hitting an extra few buckets of balls doesn't matter a whole heap either way. Its great for Joe Bloggs plodder who wants to improve but IMO with Rory its mostly down to where his head is at. I'm far, far, from an expert, but he seems to hit it and swing it much the same, year on year. Not suggesting hard work isn't required of course, but given his results in the last few seasons (good or bad depending on how you view them, but exceptional for anyone except himself) I'd say he has the groundwork done in terms of practice.

I'd guess that once he gets the wedges dialled in (didn't TM say something when they signed him that he'd be changing setup from course to course - 54/58 & 52/56/59 or something like that ?) and gets match practice so to speak he'll be fine.
    +1

There were signs at the Open that he'd started getting his wedges dialled in. And there were some pretty good shots with them yesterday. His second shot on the 2nd (his 11th) was probably just a couple of yards short from being spot on and still he played an absolute beaut of a bunker shot to give himself a birdie. The next hole he was stone dead from inside 100 yards.

Then he makes a mistake on the next; trying to draw one around the trees, he gives it too much draw but still gets up and down when short sided from the rough. His birdie on the sixth was exceptional. Spieth rattling a birdie in from 51 feet was a fluke that Spieth himself admitted was lucky. He'd have been almost off the green had it not gone in the hole.

The bogey on the ninth was just lack of concentration. Silly mistake that will have him kicking himself. But that's the game too. Spieth missed a short one as well.

If that's as bad as it gets for him, he's in a pretty good place imo. Just a bit of tweaking with the wedges. He's already ahead of himself from where he was on the first day of the Open.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,987 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

What time is he off today?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    They're not showing the times yet, but I'd assume it will be the afternoon their time as he teed off in the morning yesterday.

Actually they're not showing it on the leaderboard but showing it seperately; it's still early enough: 9:10am which would be 14:10 our time. They're the third last group out. I forgot that it's a small enough field.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭benny79

Imo I think he hasn't been a good wedge player since he left Titleist and was using the vokey's . I remember watching him in 1 tournament think it was the honda and he ran away with it by 8 or 10 shots (few years ago now) but funny enough his wedge play was phenomenal! Yet his driving was nowhere near as good as it is today. Those were before his gyms days..

• Advertisement

benny79 wrote: »
    Imo I think he hasn't been a good wedge player since he left Titleist and was using the vokey's . I remember watching him in 1 tournament think it was the honda and he ran away with it by 8 or 10 shots (few years ago now) but funny enough his wedge play was phenomenal! Yet his driving was nowhere near as good as it is today. Those were before his gyms days..
    The same when he won the US Open afair. The conditions were soft alright, but he's played those conditions since and not been as accurate. Back then he was going over flags and spinning back, something he rarely seems to do these days.

I wouldn't be up to diagnosing what's wrong there, but it certainly seems to be something he's missing from his game. Maybe it's the air time that takes a lot of the spin off or the way he strikes the ball to get it up there. But tbh, if it's stopping where it lands, that's probably better than it spinning back if he can get the distance right.

But spin doesn't really come into it when your fifty feet left or right of the pin. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭ronjo

They're not showing the times yet, but I'd assume it will be the afternoon their time as he teed off in the morning yesterday.

Actually they're not showing it on the leaderboard but showing it seperately; it's still early enough: 9:10am which would be 14:10 our time. They're the third last group out. I forgot that it's a small enough field.

First two days are really early due to afternoon storms expected. Hopefully at weekend it will be back to normal

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Quintis

Tyson Fury wrote: »

Starts from the 1st @ 9:10am local, 14:10 here.

Sky on air from 14:30

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭luvthegame

benny79 wrote: »

McIlroy is an outstanding bunker player and around the greens. Thats why its so weird why he cant hit short irons well. Id like to see him play those 100 yard wedge shots a bit like his chips/pitches. Open up the face and stance and play them with a bit more finesse which he has buckets of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

luvthegame wrote: »
    McIlroy is an outstanding bunker player and around the greens. Thats why its so weird why he cant hit short irons well. Id like to see him play those 100 yard wedge shots a bit like his chips/pitches. Open up the face and stance and play them with a bit more finesse which he has buckets of.

You mean place them short with run to the hole rather than spinning it in?

Jayop wrote: »
    You mean place them short with run to the hole rather than spinning it in?

Not necessarily. He can still spin it with a slightly open set up. I'd like to see him hit less in to out on his short irons.

Quintis wrote: »
    Starts from the 1st @ 9:10am local, 14:10 here.

Sky on air from 14:30
    They seem to have pushed the start times out a bit. McIlroy, Spieth and Day are now teeing off at 14:55 our time. Not sure why the delay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭ronjo

They seem to have pushed the start times out a bit. McIlroy, Spieth and Day are now teeing off at 14:55 our time. Not sure why the delay.

Inclement weather

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭red ears

I wouldn't be up to diagnosing what's wrong there, but it certainly seems to be something he's missing from his game:

Lifting his head :D swinging too fast aswell..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

• Advertisement

That is absolutely stunning.

The balance is amazing for that much force.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

AnneFrank wrote: »
    Drive for show....

He isn't doing bad this week. His putting is close too. He shaved the hole 5 or 6 times yesterday. I fancy him for the PGA.

AnneFrank wrote: »
    Drive for show....

Very begrudging. Even if u don't like him and he never wins again, that is a stunning swing.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭markthespark77

like poetry in motion..

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Dr Devious

Pity he can't flush the putter like the driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

gonna use that sound as my ringtone. #butta

Dr Devious wrote: »
    Pity he can't flush the putter like the driver.
    That's becoming a cliche. So far he's still gaining strokes putting. 2.6 strokes gained on day one. Not as good on day two, but still averaging ahead of the field.

Hitting greens and getting close to flags is his problem.

And just to prove my point he holes a 23 footer from the fringe. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭markthespark77

on the move early. 2 under threw 4 holes. e great to make a charge.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement