Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭londonred

Watched a lot of Rory lately and a lot of his approach shots land short of the holes and spin backwards ending up even further away maybe if he played Top Flites which go further and spin less he would end up a lot closer to the hole .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭luvthegame

Check out golfchannel.com. 6 minutes of mcilroy on the range. 5 wood 300yd carry, 3 wood, 325 carry. Driver 365 carry.
    Dispersion better than his wedges.Unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

luvthegame wrote: »
    Check out golfchannel.com. 6 minutes of mcilroy on the range. 5 wood 300yd carry, 3 wood, 325 carry. Driver 365 carry.

He has taken his distances to a whole new level it seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Just watched it... wow. Unreal to see those numbers.

Link here
    https://www.facebook.com/GolfChannel/videos/10154919339081676/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

IMO it's the change of ball that's caused the "wedge" issues. Interaction of ball off driver face is not about feel and needs no "break in" period. He'll get that feel back with the new ball/lofted clubs soon I'm sure. When he does golf might just get boring :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Prefer to see him nail wedges close to the flag, show dispersion figures for that, so that we can be convinced that what is happening on the course is on the way to being resolved on the practise ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,755 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

HighLine wrote: »

Link here
    It's his accuracy with those clubs that has my jaw on the floor.

RoadRunner wrote: »
    IMO it's the change of ball that's caused the "wedge" issues. Interaction of ball off driver face is not about feel and needs no "break in" period. He'll get that feel back with the new ball/lofted clubs soon I'm sure. When he does golf might just get boring :rolleyes:
    Very good point. The Golf Channel co-commentator was saying that he found it the hardest piece of equipment to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

londonred wrote: »
    Watched a lot of Rory lately and a lot of his approach shots land short of the holes and spin backwards ending up even further away maybe if he played Top Flites which go further and spin less he would end up a lot closer to the hole .

cowboy-shaking-head.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Of the 160 odd players in the US open field, 142 of them averaged 330+, his length is no longer the advantage it once was.

150 and in is where the glory is, if he improves then he'll be in with a shout, if he doesn't, he'll be a top 10 finisher and nothing more. He doesn't need the money, only titles and in particular majors, matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,985 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Link here

Stupid facebox
    How do you get it full screen?

Seve OB wrote: »
    Stupid facebox
    How do you get it full screen?
    The one to the left of the volume control when you hover your mouse at the bottom. Jeez! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 15,985 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

The one to the left of the volume control when you hover your mouse at the bottom. Jeez! :p

Doesn't work on iPad.
    Nearly punched the thing through when I was trying to rewind it!

Facebox is dirt,

Doesn't work on iPad.

Facebox is dirt,
    Your criticism of Facebook (although warranted) is not the actual problem. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Doesn't work on iPad.

Facebox is dirt,

Here is a Twitter link too. It's worth the effort to watch!

https://twitter.com/GolfChannel/status/895282740399964161

Here is a Twitter link too. It's worth the effort to watch!

https://twitter.com/GolfChannel/status/895282740399964161
    His idiotPad will still fail miserably. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Great post. And very true about Spieth. All he needs is one or two rounds where those 25 footers are dropping and he can dominate a tournament. But when they don't, he falls back into the pack.

The 25 footers kept falling for Faxon for his whole PGA tour career. What's to say Speith can't be the same?

fullstop wrote: »
    The 25 footers kept falling for Faxon for his whole PGA tour career. What's to say Speith can't be the same?
    Because they haven't. His putter has been hot and cold over the last couple of years. Even last week, he was missing them from half that distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Because they haven't. His putter has been hot and cold over the last couple of years. Even last week, he was missing them from half that distance.

Yeah but he's still on a lot more than he's off with the putter. If anything it's the 3-5 footers he struggles with sometimes, but even in those rounds he'll hole a couple of 25 footers.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Halfprice

Making a 6 on the drivable par 4 was crazy. Even taking a drop he'd have taught he'd get up an down for par but had terrible chip. Seem to play solid enough apart from that costly hole.

• Advertisement

Halfprice wrote: »
    Making a 6 on the drivable par 4 was crazy. Even taking a drop he'd have taught he'd get up an down for par but had terrible chip. Seem to play solid enough apart from that costly hole.

I watched every shot he took up to the drive on 14. He drove very well. His longer irons were fair, his short irons poor and his putting was solid. within 5 ft range. He made a number of mistakes from the Bermuda around the greens overshot the tricky par3 with the shallow green. Made a bollox of 14.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭Russman

I watched every shot he took up to the drive on 14. He drove very well. His longer irons were fair, his short irons poor and his putting was solid. within 5 ft range. He made a number of mistakes from the Bermuda around the greens overshot the tricky par3 with the shallow green. Made a bollox of 14.

That pretty much sums it up perfectly !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭benny79

I watched most of his round good in spells and when he was -2 I really thought he was going to rip the back 9 up! but his wedges seriously cost him to many unforced errors! with his quality and at that level is shocking!

But slightly in his defence the greens look mad and very very fast! plus a lot of people seen to be struggling with the bermuda grass but surely they should be used to it, no?

Tough course and he's still in the tournament. As day 1's go by no means a disaster.

Gents - I heard on the Newstalk Golf podcast that eir were showing it all live on the facebook live page. I can't seem to find it. Obviously only looking for legal links, by PM if necessary.

Gents - I heard on the Newstalk Golf podcast that eir were showing it all live on the facebook live page. I can't seem to find it. Obviously only looking for legal links, by PM if necessary.

If you're with virgin media you can get it on their app for free.

ligerdub wrote: »
    If you're with virgin media you can get it on their app for free.

I have their mobile phone app but don't see it. Logged into the web version too and don't see it. Can you elaborate? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,190 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

He didn't make a putt over 6ft which will need to change. 14 was a disaster but was impressed with his 16-18 finish.

Back to even after 15th hole, carried a long drive down 16.
    If he wants to win this he has to rely on birdies on the par 5's. Lets see what he does with another short iron on 16.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

I have their mobile phone app but don't see it. Logged into the web version too and don't see it. Can you elaborate? Thanks!

I watched it all on the eir mobile (meteor version) app. Sound kept crapping out when casting to TV but I still watched it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement