Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭luvthegame

+3 overall now playing the 6th
    He just isn't good enough with any of his irons today. His birdie putts inside 10ft all poor for line/pace.
    Doesn't really matter how good your driving is with that combination of iron/putting.
    Even if he was a poor putter and decent short iron player or vice versa he'd have a chance but its pretty poor from a guy with four majors and meant to be at his peak age wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,985 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Karma is a bitch......... he needs a new caddy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,987 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Bring back JP

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 15,985 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Bring back JP

Can't see that ever going to happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Seve OB wrote: »

But sure they parted on best of terms and are still best buds apparently ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭luvthegame

Seve OB wrote: »

His interviews all PR bull??

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭rooney30

Another majorless year. His best days could be behind him .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

rooney30 wrote:

No they couldn't. He's just not tiger. If people could realise that this thread would be much quieter.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭rooney30

No they couldn't. He's just not tiger. If people could realise that this thread would be much quieter.

Would anyone have said Tigers best years were behind him when he beat Mediate on one leg to win the US open . No they wouldn't . For you to say that there is no possibility that Rory's best days " could " be behind him is just plain wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 7,755 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

rooney30 wrote: »
    Would anyone have said Tigers best years were behind him when he beat Mediate on one leg to win the US open . No they wouldn't . For you to say that there is no possibility that Rory's best days " could " be behind him is just plain wrong
    Hardly likely after just winning a major. If you did, you'd be better off predicting the lotto numbers.

A couple of years later though, they were.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

rooney30 wrote:
    For you to say that there is no possibility that Rory's best days " could " be behind him is just plain wrong

Fair enough. Your statement was pure hyperbole bollax that this thread is full of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

I have their mobile phone app but don't see it. Logged into the web version too and don't see it. Can you elaborate? Thanks!

Sorry I got that one wrong. If you're with eir broadband you should be able to get eir sport for no extra cost via their app. You'll need to go to eir.ie and setup an account with password.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,902 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Rory's on a serious slide. No doubt about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Jesus Christ, he's not even 30

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

AGC wrote: »
    Jesus Christ, he's not even 30

But he's not improving either, while all around him are. If anything I would say he is a lesser player than he was 2012-2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Yes. Plenty of people would have. He was facing ACL surgery on a body that had already taken its share of abuse. He willed himself to victory over a journeyman opponent - a hugely impressive feat.

But there was plenty of people fearing for Tiger's golfing future right there and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,890 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Expect Rory's last day impressive irrelevant run tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭red ears

Expect Rory's last day impressive irrelevant run tomorrow.

I think you are right, and it shows the pressure of expectation on him is getting under his skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭glack

Talking about not playing til 2018 so he can recover fully from his injury....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

glack wrote: »

If he is injured, then he should take the time because he looks no where near the player he was in 2014. He should also choose a new caddy for the beginning of the new season after the FedEx and concentrate on his short game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Halfprice

Doesnt take 4 months to recover and what last 2 months also... so nearly 6 months.. he jus doesn't seem to be bothered at the minute. Maybe he does need a break from it all to get the buzz back again. As we all know when your playing poorly it doesn't be enjoyable at all and you end up over thinking everything and trying to hard to fix it

glack wrote: »

He doesn't seem to be enjoying it anymore and uses any excuse for a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,890 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I know I have come across a bit cynical about Rory.

But almost like the boy who cried wolf at this stage.

The bloke looks like he needs a break. I think it is a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

Halfprice wrote: »
    Doesnt take 4 months to recover and what last 2 months also... so nearly 6 months..
    Correct, if he had broken his rib it wouldn't take 6 months to recover. Just another excuse from Rory to try to hide his failure to deliver when he was the overwhelming favourite for a major on a course he loves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Correct, if he had broken his rib it wouldn't take 6 months to recover. Just another excuse from Rory to try to hide his failure to deliver when he was the overwhelming favourite for a major on a course he loves.

Ive broken ribs before... and can tell you if he was not 100% fit when he came back (which is possible) then there is a very good chance he could be back at square one after doing more damage.

Its a funny ol' injury, if looked after correctly and managed well you can be back in a few months, even sooner (I was playing Rugby not Golf). But if you come back even remotely not 100%, then you can quickly go back to 0%.

And when you break a rib you're also likely to damage cartilage... which can be more tricky to heal that the rib itself and with the twisting nature of golf... I could well believe he rushed back and has done even more damage now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭benny79

His injury is meant to be cartilage at the top of his ribs. To me its just an excuse he would get the best treatment and advice etc.. and to be honest lads imo I think he's had enough breaks from golf the last 2 years (with injuries & picking events)..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭Russman

Halfprice wrote: »
    Doesnt take 4 months to recover and what last 2 months also... so nearly 6 months.. he jus doesn't seem to be bothered at the minute. Maybe he does need a break from it all to get the buzz back again. As we all know when your playing poorly it doesn't be enjoyable at all and you end up over thinking everything and trying to hard to fix it

But if it didn't recover fully in the first place, surely the last few tournaments could/would have put him back to square one ? Actually I've no idea to be honest, but I can't imagine that rehab works in such a way, that you rehab to 85% better, go back to your sport and when you decide you need more rehab, you're still at 85% healed.

As for not bothered, I honestly don't know where people are getting this from ? Playing poorly doesn't mean not trying or not bothered. Would people prefer if he was throwing tantrums to "show he cared" ? if he did that the naysayers would be giving out about the example being set and saying its proof his head is somewhere else.

Agree that when you're playing poorly it's not enjoyable and maybe he does need time off to recapture the buzz. I reckon its frustration at his body and his form that could be annoying him.

Hide his failure to deliver ? Seriously ? I doubt Rory needs excuses for anyone. I don't think its a secret he didn't win. I think he was joint favourite with Spieth, so hardly overwhelming, and he stated himself that the course isn't the same one that he's performed well on before.

Really, can a golfer not play bad without it being something dramatic ?
    Its golf, its hard, and sometimes with the best preparation in the world you still play poorly. Sometimes you even play well and someone else just plays better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Russman wrote: »
    But if it didn't recover fully in the first place, surely the last few tournaments could/would have put him back to square one ? Actually I've no idea to be honest, but I can't imagine that rehab works in such a way, that you rehab to 85% better, go back to your sport and when you decide you need more rehab, you're still at 85% healed.

As for not bothered, I honestly don't know where people are getting this from ? Playing poorly doesn't mean not trying or not bothered. Would people prefer if he was throwing tantrums to "show he cared" ? if he did that the naysayers would be giving out about the example being set and saying its proof his head is somewhere else.

Agree that when you're playing poorly it's not enjoyable and maybe he does need time off to recapture the buzz. I reckon its frustration at his body and his form that could be annoying him.

Hide his failure to deliver ? Seriously ? I doubt Rory needs excuses for anyone. I don't think its a secret he didn't win. I think he was joint favourite with Spieth, so hardly overwhelming, and he stated himself that the course isn't the same one that he's performed well on before.

Really, can a golfer not play bad without it being something dramatic ?
    Its golf, its hard, and sometimes with the best preparation in the world you still play poorly. Sometimes you even play well and someone else just plays better.

McIlroy was talking himself up before the tournament and once again like very other time he's talked himself up in the last while he hasn't delivered.

If he really was injured and it was affecting his play would he be talking himself up before this tournament.

When his career is over I'd say he'll seriously regret these last 3 years when he should have been dominating and instead he's just been treading water (for a player of his talent).

It's interesting that McIlroy is now being described by the media quite often as a mercurial player which he is but being described as mercurial isn't really that big a compliment for someone of his talent level and who was expected to be dominating, he really should be much better than a mercurial player.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭Russman

McIlroy was talking himself up before the tournament and once again like very other time he's talked himself up in the last while he hasn't delivered.

If he really was injured and it was affecting his play would he be talking himself up before this tournament.

When his career is over I'd say he'll seriously regret these last 3 years when he should have been dominating and instead he's just been treading water (for a player of his talent).

It's interesting that McIlroy is now being described by the media quite often as a mercurial player which he is but being described as mercurial isn't really that big a compliment for someone of his talent level and who was expected to be dominating, he really should be much better than a mercurial player.

Agree with a lot of that. He should be much, much more than mercurial. I'd almost argue he hasn't been the same player since that ankle injury before the Open a few years ago.
    When you see some of the players who are multiple winners in the last few seasons its hard not to think Rory is 10 times the player some of them are, yet how the heck is he letting the seasons slip by with no majors. Who knows, but I think if it takes 6 months off to get the body right, then I'd say go for it.

From what I've read, it seems he can play fine, but can't put in the hours of practice to play at his normal/expected level.

• Advertisement

benny79 wrote: »
    His injury is meant to be cartilage at the top of his ribs. To me its just an excuse he would get the best treatment and advice etc.. and to be honest lads imo I think he's had enough breaks from golf the last 2 years (with injuries & picking events)..

He seemed to have no bother driving the ball 350 yards out there over the week. He struggled with the wedges and putter which i don't see the rib being the problem for that if he was swing the driver fine at 120mph or so.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement