Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭red ears

Id like to see him come in next year and state honestly to the media in those pre-tournament conferences, i'm not playing great but hopefully i can turn it around and have a good week. And just leave it at that. If he plays well and wins then great.

One of the conferences this year he was saying if you can't hit these big fairways then you should pack up and go home, others he was bigging up his chances. Id like to see him play down his chances and then hopefully go out and biltz the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

red ears wrote: »
    He seemed to have no bother driving the ball 350 yards out there over the week. He struggled with the wedges and putter which i don't see the rib being the problem for that if he was swing the driver fine at 120mph or so.

Good point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

you can't believe anything he says, one minute he feels great and he's going to contend,
    then when he putts and hits wedges like a 15 handicapper he's injured again,
    He's just a waffler and is wasting the god given talent he has,
    but at least he's rich, which is all he seems to care about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

AnneFrank wrote: »
    you can't believe anything he says, one minute he feels great and he's going to contend,
    then when he putts and hits wedges like a 15 handicapper he's injured again,
    He's just a waffler and is wasting the god given talent he has,
    but at least he's rich, which is all he seems to care about

His response to Steve Elkington a while back was sort of illuminating about his character.He could have said I've got 4 majors and hit him with that but instead he chose to point out how much money he'd made.

Spieth strikes me as the sort of fella that would step over his own mother to win something whereas McIlroy seems far more easygoing and lacking that bit of dog in him that a lot of great champions in all sports have.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,890 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

This sudden end of his season - looks off the top of his head to be honest. Like most other things he comes out with.

We were watching him cream the ball only last week.

People were saying - he can do what he wants - he is under no obligation to anyone ! . But if he is just not turning up to something because he is in bad form - the public, golf fans, sponsors have a right to be pissed off. As Dermot Gilleece said in context of Irish Open (paraphrasing) , he is in the entertainment business - the public travel to see him - pay in to see him - he is rich from that - missing cuts and playing the way he is - is not entertaining.

But - if he is not into it at present he needs a break. He is right to take a break.

A few years ago he could have done with a year out. He looks like he is at that point again.

Again we are all speculating . But to me it looks like he wants time away from the game without saying that honestly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,890 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

His response to Steve Elkington a while back was sort of illuminating about his character.He could have said I've got 4 majors and hit him with that but instead he chose to point out how much money he'd made.

Spieth strikes me as the sort of fella that would step over his own mother to win something whereas McIlroy seems far more easygoing and lacking that bit of dog in him that a lot of great champions in all sports have.

I think it is a mistake to talk about Spieth and Rory in the same context.

They are at different stages of their career.
    The expectations are totally different.

Give Spieth a few more years and see how he handles being main man - swamped with idiots - "hanger oners" - media and public expectations.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭Russman

he is in the entertainment business - the public travel to see him - pay in to see him - he is rich from that - missing cuts and playing the way he is - is not entertaining.

Maybe Dermot Gilleece should tell Rory (or any tour pro) the special secret to not missing cuts or playing badly.......:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Well that was a quick break from golf.

Rory to play the first fed ex cup playoff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭JimmyMcGill

9 shots off the lead over 18 holes at the Northern Trust. Should take up baseball permanently.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,359 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

9 shots off the lead over 18 holes at the Northern Trust. Should take up baseball permanently.

Good money in that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭JimmyMcGill

Rikand wrote: »
    Good money in that

$200,000,000?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,602 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I think I'd give Rory a game at the minute.

He's stinking the place out. He really needs a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭tbayers

NIMAN wrote: »
    I think I'd give Rory a game at the minute.

He's stinking the place out. He really needs a break.
    Stinking the place out in relation to what, his talent or to other golf pros? And saying you would give him a game. He is doing profoundly better than every other Irish man on tour, so what are your opinions of them. In relation to what he has achieved before he is not at his highest standard but jeex he has had some very solid results this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

tbayers wrote: »
    Stinking the place out in relation to what, his talent or to other golf pros? And saying you would give him a game. He is doing profoundly better than every other Irish man on tour, so what are your opinions of them. In relation to what he has achieved before he is not at his highest standard but jeex he has had some very solid results this year.

Mediocrity is now good enough? I doubt McIllroy measures himself against his Irish peers, I suspect he has loftier ambitions, or he certainly used to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

This thread is mental, after reading back alot of pages you can actually feel the anger,frustration and dissapointment in some of the posts over how he's playing. It's like he's your only son and he's under achieving :pac:

I enjoy watching him when he's playing well, if he's playing bad he won't feature much on the TV anyhow :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,902 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Rory has grease on his back.
    He's going downhill very fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭moycullen14

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    This thread is mental, after reading back alot of pages you can actually feel the anger,frustration and dissapointment in some of the posts over how he's playing. It's like he's your only son and he's under achieving :pac:

I enjoy watching him when he's playing well, if he's playing bad he won't feature much on the TV anyhow :D

Must admit I get quite agitated watching him. I guess he's the first Irish (don't start) golfer who has the ability to be a superstar (All due respect to Paddy, but he is nowhere near Rory's ability).

I got huge enjoyment out of RMcI's major wins. Especially the 2011 US Open after the meltdown at the Master's.

It is beyond frustrating watching that talent being frittered away.
    The way he skirts with getting into contention, and as soon as he does he blows up, recovers, shoots a 65 on the last day to finish 4th and says his game feels good.

Of course, it feels good. If it wasn't for the double bogies and 3 putts, he'd win every tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Of course, it feels good. If it wasn't for the double bogies and 3 putts, he'd win every tournament.

And so would I.

On a general note people shouldn't get upset over how 'their' player plays. It's an individual sport not a team sport. Anything can happen.
    He does probably have the best swing in the game, but thats only one part of many that makes a great golfer. Don't they say the range at Q school is full of guys with great swings?
    We heap a ton of expectations on a guy that we would like to win because we think he could/should, but its not really fair on him. We know nothing about him or his life or what makes him tick or what doesn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Not able to watch the golf but according to shotlink, Rory just 4 putted from 11 feet on a par 3 for a double bogey!!!!!

Went from 1 under to 1 over!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Halfprice

He sure did. Left his 1st putt 4 ft short. Missed it and missed the one back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

HighLine wrote: »

Jesus, that's awful!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Stuff of nightmares. Looks completely lost out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Running Balance

Who are those two tools with rory

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

Who are those two tools with rory

One is the Players champion. That good enough?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

+1, some great shots, some 18 handicappers, Nike must be looking for the receipt for that $100m

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Running Balance

tobsey wrote:
    One is the Players champion. That good enough?

How you mean is that good enough??

Is that si woo Kim?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

So it wasn't JP's fault after all, surprise surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

Surely a rib injury isn't to blame for these 2 rounds?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

So it wasn't JP's fault after all, surprise surprise.

JP didn't help and neither does his replacement.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement