Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

HighLine wrote: »

Who is that guy singing. He has a good voice but he should know Rory likes to stay as neutral as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

So it wasn't JP's fault after all, surprise surprise.

There has never been a question whether it was or wasn't JP's fault but fact is he needed a change and felt JP was that change.... doesn't mean he was stifling him, means he felt a new route would provide better results. Personally I think his heads not in it anymore and I wouldn't be surprised to learn he's thrown a cut or two once it's clear he won't be in contention.... why would he want to trawl around whatever generic PGA Americaville course he's on for a lost cause when he can head home (Jupiter) for a couple of days and relax

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Personally I think his heads not in it anymore and I wouldn't be surprised to learn he's thrown a cut or two once it's clear he won't be in contention.... why would he want to trawl around whatever generic PGA Americaville course he's on for a lost cause when he can head home (Jupiter) for a couple of days and relax

That's fine if he is willing to give Nike back their money.

First Up wrote: »

I'm not suggesting he's missed a put on purpose, I'm suggesting that once it's clear he won't be finishing in the top 10 and competing that the amount of effort he puts in is minimal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

Handbrake on.. settle for 0.1 back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭A Shaved Duck?

Huh?...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

Rory is up and down like a yoyo. I've no doubt after not being bothered for a while(and playing averagely) he'll get fed up with not being bothered and will decide that he will rededicate himself to practise and playing golf - probably get back to no1, win 2/3 majors then decide he wants more balance in his life, practise less, win less...........rinse and repeat

Huh?...

They don't pay him to sit at home out of the limelight.

They pay him for brand endorsement, and Rory not playing well gets just as much headlines, if not more, than when he's competing for top 10's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

They pay him for brand endorsement, and Rory not playing well gets just as much headlines, if not more, than when he's competing for top 10's

Interesting, I would have assumed that a sports brand, particularly an American one, would want to be associated with accomplishment and success. Missed cuts are the opposite, they represent failure. While I agree any publicity is good publicity for some brands, I'm not so sure that publicity associated with failure cuts it with Nike (unless of course you are Tiger Woods and even that must surely be reaching the end).

• Advertisement

There's more than just brand endorsement involved. Corporate schmoozing is a big part of it and you can't do much of that from your sofa.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

There's more than just brand endorsement involved. Corporate schmoozing is a big part of it and you can't do much of that from your sofa.
    You can do that when you are missing cuts! Plenty of time for golf with Nike execs!

Of course they'd prefer to see him winning majors, there is no question of that... but they also don't expect him to win everything in front of him... there is also likely performance related clauses in his deal regarding MC's and wins... so I doubt Nike are too concerned with their investment at the moment and are condiment he'all find his touch.

Someone mentioned earlier in the thread that he'll soon get bored of not winning and flick a switch and go win a few more majors, I believe he is one of very few golfers or even sports people who has the raw talent to be able to do that... just decide to win!

Keano wrote:
    You can do that when you are missing cuts! Plenty of time for golf with Nike execs!

Missing cuts is one thing. Staying at home something else entirely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Of course they'd prefer to see him winning majors, there is no question of that... but they also don't expect him to win everything in front of him... there is also likely performance related clauses in his deal regarding MC's and wins... so I doubt Nike are too concerned with their investment at the moment and are condiment he'all find his touch.

Someone mentioned earlier in the thread that he'll soon get bored of not winning and flick a switch and go win a few more majors, I believe he is one of very few golfers or even sports people who has the raw talent to be able to do that... just decide to win!

If not winning was so boring then why hasn't he turned on the switch and started to win, it's been 3 years without a major win he should be well bored by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭blackcard

Rory starts off with a double bogey 6 after taking his second shot from the fairway 107 yards from the hole. Has to be serious concerns about his wedge play. You would have imagined he would be prioritizing practicing his wedge play. If his form continues like this year, he would drop out of the top 50 world rankings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

blackcard wrote: »
    Rory starts off with a double bogey 6 after taking his second shot from the fairway 107 yards from the hole. Has to be serious concerns about his wedge play. You would have imagined he would be prioritizing practicing his wedge play. If his form continues like this year, he would drop out of the top 50 world rankings

The year is over for him. Playing in the Dunhill next month and then that's it. Probably a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭blackcard

Rory then produces a superb wedge for a birdie at 3. Dustin Johnson last at 3 over

Jack Nicklaus said it, missing a green from a hundred yards is like missing your mouth with a fork. Earlier in this thread I got roasted for posting about a newspaper article that said at times he plays like a journey man, I wonder how that holds up now.

• Advertisement

Rory then produces a superb wedge for a birdie at 3. Dustin Johnson last at 3 over

Awful and brilliant in the space of two holes, consistency is the key to success.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭tommypepper

While he explained that playing the last three events hasn’t made any further impact on his existing injury, he also hinted that the decision to tackle the playoffs was not entirely his.

“Some decisions aren’t completely up to the individual,” McIlroy said. “There was outside expectation from elsewhere. I played these events for two reasons: thinking that I still had a chance, but for trying to fulfill obligations elsewhere. So there was two parts of it.

Money still at the forefront of a guys minds when he has 4 majors and more money right now than he could spend in two lifetimes??

Same motivation cost him any chance of Masters '17, playing Callaway off TM for more money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭JimmyMcGill

While he explained that playing the last three events hasn’t made any further impact on his existing injury, he also hinted that the decision to tackle the playoffs was not entirely his.

“Some decisions aren’t completely up to the individual,” McIlroy said. “There was outside expectation from elsewhere. I played these events for two reasons: thinking that I still had a chance, but for trying to fulfill obligations elsewhere. So there was two parts of it.

Money still at the forefront of a guys minds when he has 4 majors and more money right now than he could spend in two lifetimes??

Same motivation cost him any chance of Masters '17, playing Callaway off TM for more money.

He only has to make another $800,000,000 to become a billionaire. Which would you rather, that amount of money or another 10 majors? I'd prefer more Majors but Rory I'm imagining doesn't.

Its not the prize money. He has contractual obligations to sponsors.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭tommypepper

Its not the prize money. He has contractual obligations to sponsors.

That was my point!!!!!!!!!

No way he was going chance getting a contract penalty.

Business first, golf second. I'm sure hes convinced himself its not the case.

His TM tagline was "because my future is my hands" or some other crap like that.

Emmm no its in the hands of your sponsors by the looks of it.

I know. It was another poster who mentioned his career winnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

No way he was going chance getting a contract penalty.

Business first, golf second. I'm sure hes convinced himself its not the case.

His TM tagline was "because my future is my hands" or some other crap like that.

Emmm no its in the hands of your sponsors by the looks of it.

You'd be mad to be in his position and not engage in signing up to an apparel and/or club sponsorship. The amount of money involved is staggering, even compared to a successful career in terms of prize money.

The sacrifice that needs to be made is negligible compared to the upside. Not only that there are associated benefits in terms of the assistance and preparation that goes into tournaments that they play. It reduces the onus on the pro/his team in certain aspects of competing. For example there are sponsor trucks at all the events. Titleist/Taylor Made etc know the exact spec of all the players on their radar. I'm sure it's possible they could get this without sponsorship, but it's a hell of a lot easier otherwise.

Not only does it benefit the player financially in terms of the terms of the contract, the exposure from advertising also adds legitimacy to the value of the player in other sponsorship or appearance fees.

It isn't a case of a choice between winning ten majors and $100 million. Players are more than capable of maximising their income opportunities without having any detrimental effect on their preparation. In fact it is in the sponsors interest to ensure that the player is MORE prepared for tournaments. Nobody wants to shell out $200m on somebody who gets worse after he signs up. The best example of this is Tiger Woods, easier the most successful golfer of the last 30 years. He won more tournaments and had more sponsorship money than anyone else by a long way.

These excuses only become vocalised when things start taking a turn for the worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Another dismal finish for Rory - https://www.irishgolfer.ie/single-post/2017/09/17/McIlroy-to-miss-Tour-Championship-after-winless-season

His head didn't seem in it all season.

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Another dismal finish for Rory - https://www.irishgolfer.ie/single-post/2017/09/17/McIlroy-to-miss-Tour-Championship-after-winless-season

His head didn't seem in it all season.

He has a great future behind him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Down to 8th in the latest world rankings. Fair chance he'll be 10th this time next week.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement