Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

AnneFrank wrote:
    what about the weeks off he takes before majors, that's hardly for the good of his golf, and the way he throws in the towel so easy if he has a couple of bogeys, this is not the golf of a grinder, of a real dedicated guy, I'm not saying he doesn't work or practice hard, but he's a maverick and will never be like Harrington or a stephen hendry of the snooker world, he's more like Ronnie Osullivan. It is who he is, it's not a crime

It's fairly standard to take the week off the week before a major. The tournaments the week before don't tend to be star studded. The Scottish open may be the exception.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

ligerdub wrote: »
    Come on AF, I'd say McIlroy worked his bollox off to be world number 1 at the age of 23. He'd won the US Open by the age most people finish college.

There's a lot of blind spots and misconceptions about certain players and how hard they work. Guys like Singh and Harrington are obviously hard workers and stick out a mile, but we're not seeing these pro's when they were forming their abilities. It's not like cramming for an exam, it's built off a mastery built up over years and years.

I remember hearing Jason Day saying he dedicated himself to getting at least 30 hours of practice (that's a conservative recollection, it might have been a lot higher) a week......every week when he was honing his craft. People like Day, Kuchar give off a laid-back style but you can guarantee they put the hours in. Then there are the prodigies, seemingly gifts from the Gods of golf, "born to play the game", like Woods, McIlroy, Spieth, I guarantee they put more hours in than the rest though. There are absolutely no players at the top of the world rankings who haven't and do not work their arse off.

A good historical example of this is the comparison of Ben Hogan and Sam Snead. Everything marveled at Hogan's dedication to hitting golf balls....finding his secret in the dirt, compared to their envy to Snead's "natural, effortless" flow, but it was an entirely unfair comparison on Snead.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/myshot_gd0204

"People always said I had a natural swing. They thought I wasn't a hard worker. But when I was young, I'd play and practice all day, then practice more at night by my car's headlights. My hands bled. Nobody worked harder at golf than I did."

McIlroy is an incredibly dedicated individual, every decision he makes he does to improve his career, his playing career.

I think this is overlooked by most people. The gifted talent line gets quoted a lot. And I'm sure they are very talented.

But the truth is they all worked and practiced an insane amount of time from a very young age. Every single one of them. And when they got really really good they practiced even more.

I'm not saying I could be as good as Rory or Tiger if I had hit golf balls from age 3 over and over again. But I dare say I'd be quite a bit better than I am now.

I reckon in top sports you need to have some sort base talent. You wouldn't want to be born with two left hands as they say. But once you have that and you're not physically challenged in some way then its about 10% talent and 90% dedication and stubbornness to the degree where its bordering on obsession. And then about keeping that up and not getting distracted and some more dedication and stubbornness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Prickly Pete

I think this is overlooked by most people. The gifted talent line gets quoted a lot. And I'm sure they are very talented.

But the truth is they all worked and practiced an insane amount of time from a very young age. Every single one of them. And when they got really really good they practiced even more.

I'm not saying I could be as good as Rory or Tiger if I had hit golf balls from age 3 over and over again. But I dare say I'd be quite a bit better than I am now.

I reckon in top sports you need to have some sort base talent. You wouldn't want to be born with two left hands as they say. But once you have that and you're not physically challenged in some way then its about 10% talent and 90% dedication and stubbornness to the degree where its bordering on obsession. And then about keeping that up and not getting distracted and some more dedication and stubbornness.

The ability to be dedicated and not distracted or discouraged is a talent itself.

Most people aren't lucky enough to not get discouraged when they see their hard work is not getting them anywhere, also being born with a love for something that you are willing to put so much effort into it is a gift itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭valoren

The ability to be dedicated and not distracted or discouraged is a talent itself.

Most people aren't lucky enough to not get discouraged when they see their hard work is not getting them anywhere, also being born with a love for something that you are willing to put so much effort into it is a gift itself.

Snead summed it up nicely.

You can't catch a fish unless you keep your line in the water. You have to be patient. A cold wind can be blowing and ice can be forming on your eyebrows, but you have to keep at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

A much better 3rd round. 64 and no bogies. He'll need the same again tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,987 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Great to see him back playing well.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭tritriagain

Jawgap wrote: »

That's the way heroes should behave. Fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭4Ad

That's the way heroes should behave. Fair play.

It was only a small gesture but the look on the young lads face, PRICELESS...
    Brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

A much better 3rd round. 64 and no bogies. He'll need the same again tomorrow.

He bettered it by 1 and should have been more, great weekend golf from him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

Great to see Rory get a bit of form

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

Plus 2 after 14

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭tommypepper

on st andrews surprising !!!!

on carnasty

St Andrew's

he can't seem to hit 3/4 wedges which is beyond me,
    looks a bit tubby aswell, married life i guess

AnneFrank wrote: »
    he can't seem to hit 3/4 wedges which is beyond me,

They all seem to be wearing an extra layer or 2 of clothing. Doubt he is too tubby now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭brady23

AnneFrank wrote: »

LOL

glasso wrote: »

A bit unnecessary I thought.

Surely looking back getting snubbed by Keane ought to be a badge of honour.
    "Roy Keane told me to feck off when I was a kid!" :pac:

Newsflash - Roy Keane is not a nice man.

It's not like Keane was particularly interested in image management, he was well known to be an incredibly grumpy git, with the self centred professional bastard mindset that made him captain of United and helped win all those trophies. Surely McIlroy understands that being a United fan. It's well known he and Ferguson are close friends and it all seems like a dig, backing up his friend who as we know fell out with Keane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

What if Roy had just signed 10 autographs and he was heading to the jacks! What if he was late for training etc etc. Unless Rory signs for 100% of all autograph hunters then this his comment is hypocritical.

I didn't see the press conference and I'm pretty sure he wasn't being fully serious about hating Keane but I bet he wishes he never said that. If he harbours that ill will after finding out about the drags of fame then he comes out of this worse IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

the lawman wrote: »
    What if Roy had just signed 10 autographs and he was heading to the jacks! What if he was late for training etc etc. Unless Rory signs for 100% of all autograph hunters then this his comment is hypocritical.

I didn't see the press conference and I'm pretty sure he wasn't being fully serious about hating Keane but I bet he wishes he never said that. If he harbours that ill will after finding out about the drags of fame then he comes out of this worse IMO.

Rory was a shy enough kid, and most probably idolised Roy, what with him being the main man for a team he loved, and a guy from the same island as him.

I'd tend to think that it took a lot for him to go up to a guy like that, and was most probably sternly rebuffed.

When that illusion is shattered is can harbour a great deal of resentment, so I wouldn't be surprised if he meant it completely.

I'm not a great one for the belief that well known people are public property, but I think you should always take care to be more considerate to the next generation. I understand the meeting occurred in the team hotel in the week of a game. I can imagine those few days to be painfully boring so I'm not giving Keane much leeway here I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

I think it was another really stupid thing for Rory to say, watch what happens the next time he walks past a line of people looking for autographs. Lefty is lauded for the amount of time he spends shaking hands and signing autographs, if McIllroy refuses to sign just one, now he's a hypocrite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

ligerdub wrote: »
    Rory was a shy enough kid, and most probably idolised Roy, what with him being the main man for a team he loved, and a guy from the same island as him.

I'd tend to think that it took a lot for him to go up to a guy like that, and was most probably sternly rebuffed.

When that illusion is shattered is can harbour a great deal of resentment, so I wouldn't be surprised if he meant it completely.

I'm not a great one for the belief that well known people are public property, but I think you should always take care to be more considerate to the next generation. I understand the meeting occurred in the team hotel in the week of a game. I can imagine those few days to be painfully boring so I'm not giving Keane much leeway here I'm afraid.

Neither of us have a clue of the exact circumstance on the day so no point in arguing either way.

What I can say for sure is Rory must know that signing every single autograph is impossible so he's done the same thing to some kid somewhere. Surely that kills any real resentment he may have had.

Just on the question of signing autograph's I recall Mike Collins, Command Module pilot on Apollo 11, saying that after the mission whenever they went out socially they refused to sign autographs. The reasoning was that during one function Aldrin signed an autograph on a napkin after someone asked him. Suddenly everyone wanted them to sign autographs. Word would spread like wildfire and they were over two hoursur signing autographs. Naturally that was annoying, so between the 3 of them they agreed to not sign anything and would instead shake a hand etc.

Tiger had the same rule. He won't sign as a rule to that end. Too time consuming.
    I see Mcilroy's point of not wanting to crush a kid by snubbing them.
    It's a question of perspective. If a kid in an enclosed place (like Portmarnock hotel) asks then it's rude to say no. Keane was being a dope. Takes 2 seconds etc. During a tournament on the grounds a simple fist bump or hand wave is more than sufficient. I think the tours have assigned autograph zones anyway, could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,985 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Complete hypocrite
    what a stupid thing for him to say. i know for a fact he goes out of his way to avoid autograph hunters. i'm not saying he doesn't sign them, but he has snubbed more than his fair share.

there are many other lads out there on tour who stay around for hours signing stuff for kids etc and he is absolutely not one of them

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

2 year old article but interesting all the same for this topic:

http://www.bunkersparadise.com/46034/getting-inked-who-signs-how-to-get-pga-tour-autographs/

Seems McIlroy is considered one of the good ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭brady23

Seve OB wrote: »
    Complete hypocrite
    what a stupid thing for him to say. i know for a fact he goes out of his way to avoid autograph hunters. i'm not saying he doesn't sign them, but he has snubbed more than his fair share.

there are many other lads out there on tour who stay around for hours signing stuff for kids etc and he is absolutely not one of them

How many times have you seen McIlroy snub people or how many people have told you that he has snubbed them directly?

How many hours have you watched specific players sign autographs on multiple occasions or how many people have told you they have watched certain players sign autographs for hours on end?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,359 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Seve OB wrote: »
    Complete hypocrite

I dont really go for autobiographies but when your "source" releases his, I'm definitely getting it.

The change in attitude over the last 6 months is nothing short of astounding!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,985 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Rikand wrote: »
    I dont really go for autobiographies but when your "source" releases his, I'm definitely getting it.!

haha, that won't be happening.... ever!
    you'll just have to come round to a family function sometime and quiz him :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement