Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

I reckon the only difference between Keane and Mcilroy is Keane never pretended to be sound.

Rory should focus on making cuts, not talking sh*te.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

I reckon the only difference between Keane and Mcilroy is Keane never pretended to be sound.

Rory should focus on making cuts, not talking sh*te.

Bingo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

AnneFrank wrote: »
    Bingo

No, golf :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

ligerdub wrote: »
    Rory was a shy enough kid, and most probably idolised Roy, what with him being the main man for a team he loved, and a guy from the same island as him.
    Rory was not too shy as a kid!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Rory must have played well today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭benny79

I have witnessed Rory snub loads of kids at many an Irish Open when he finishes his round stupid point and article about Keane. I sure both sign autographs when they feel up to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭OEP

benny79 wrote: »
    I have witnessed Rory snub loads of kids at many an Irish Open when he finishes his round stupid point and article about Keane. I sure both sign autographs when they feel up to it.
    I don't doubt he has not signed autographs but if it is at the end of the round players are told not to sign autographs until their scorecard is handed in

Yeah I meant after he handed his score card in and came out and went straight into club house.. but I have also seen him come out a few hours later and sign them.. Im sure keane has signed autographs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

benny79 wrote: »
    Yeah I meant after he handed his score card in and came out and went straight into club house.. but I have also seen him come out a few hours later and sign them.. Im sure keane has signed autographs.

I'm guessing they have sponsor and media obligations when they finish - and its better to get them out of the way before interacting with the fans - rather than sign, then have to dash leaving people annoyed by them being dragged off to the other side of their 'job.'

I'm also sure Keane has signed autographs but in his earlier years - like a lot of young players - he might have been a bit more of a 'tw@t' - whereas age has mellowed him.

In fairness, both him and McIlroy (and other sports people) also put a huge effort into supporting their preferred charities when they could just as easily not bother to avoid the engagements that come with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

All famous people get fed up signing autographs, I wouldn't blame them for that. But it was naive of McIllroy to name Keane, he just gave others a rod to beat him with when he walks past a kid asking for his signature. For a guy who has been in the spotlight for a decade, he doesn't half shoot himself in the foot sometimes. The wide fairways earlier in the year is another prime example, he said if you can't hit the fairway you shouldn't be here, what does he do then? Miss the fairways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,985 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

davo10 wrote: »
    All famous people get fed up signing autographs, I wouldn't blame them for that. But it was naive of McIllroy to name Keane, he just gave others a rod to beat him with when he walks past a kid asking for his signature. For a guy who has been in the spotlight for a decade, he doesn't half shoot himself in the foot sometimes. The wide fairways earlier in the year is another prime example, he said if you can't hit the fairway you shouldn't be here, what does he do then? Miss the fairways.

I was with you up to the fairways. He missed them and missed the cut. He had a bad couple of rounds (we all have them), was punished for them by missing the cut and all of a sudden that was shooting himself in the foot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Seve OB wrote: »
    I was with you up to the fairways. He missed them and missed the cut. He had a bad couple of rounds (we all have them), was punished for them by missing the cut and all of a sudden that was shooting himself in the foot!

It wasn't that he missed the fairways, every pro has off days, but when he said that anyone who can't hit those fairways shouldn't be here, you know that is going to come back and bite you in the ass. Why say it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

fullstop wrote: »
    Rory was not too shy as a kid!

Agreed, saw him as an Amateur...defo not shy

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,985 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

It wasn't that he missed the fairways, every pro has off days, but when he said that anyone who can't hit those fairways shouldn't be here, you know that is going to come back and bite you in the ass. Why say it?

But that's just it. It didn't "bite him in the ass". He just played crap. Why say it? Why not. He was playing well in practice and his mood was upbeat. It certainly didn't bit him in the ass. He had every right to say it. He was proven correct. He missed fairways and went home early.

I don't think you understand the meaning of what you are saying about things coming back to bit you in the ass. Eg when you lie and are caught out such as he was with his Olympic comments, that is when things come back to bite you in the ass.

I think biting him in the ass would have been him saying about those not hitting fairways not deserving to be there......then going out, hitting every fairway (or a fair proportion of them) but going out early because of a shocking putting or short game performance. Or missing the fairways but making the cut because of a stellar performance in other parts of his game - thus proving himself wrong!

As it was, he was proved quite correct - his analysis was spot on, even if he was the one who suffered.......he didn't hit the fairways, he went home.

If anything he was guilty of just tempting fate ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,359 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Jawgaps explanation is better than Seves

• Registered Users Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭Russman

Yeah, I don't get the whole biting in the a$$ thing. I think we're way too superstitious about stuff like that. He was dead right, miss the fairway, and go home. No harm in calling it like it is.
    Its almost like how frowned upon it would be if a football/rugby/whatever team said "yeah, we're favourites, we're the best team, and we expect to win this match handily":D
    Obviously I jest !!

Guessing there'll be plenty in this great little country wondering why he didn't donate 2 million.......

https://twitter.com/irishtimesbiz/status/917713595013636096

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

If he donated €2 million you would have people complaining that he didn't donate €4 million. No pleasing some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

charlieIRL wrote: »
    If he donated €2 million you would have complaining that he didnt donate €4 million. No pleasing some people.

Ahh yeah, but the headline says "almost €1m" he could have at least rounded it up, greedy git!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Jawgap wrote: »
    Guessing there'll be plenty in this great little country wondering why he didn't donate 2 million.......
    Grow up please.

charlieIRL wrote: »
    If he donated €2 million you would have complaining that he didnt donate €4 million. No pleasing some people.

Who me? I'm not complaining about him at all.

I think it's a very fine and tangible gesture - all the more so because he seems to just get on and do it without much fuss or fanfare.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Jawgap wrote: »
    Who me? I'm not complaining about him at all.

I think it's a very fine and tangible gesture - all the more so because he seems to just get on and do it without much fuss or fanfare.

I didn't mean you personally;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

It's a million better than nothing that's for sure,
    any charity is good

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭tommypepper

Sky just showing US open from 2011.

What happened that guy? Great wedge play and putting.

He is doing everything else the same today but will we ever see that Rory again?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,987 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Any reason why he's not playing this week?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

He's off until the new year to let his rips heal apparently I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,889 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Lads - anyone know real story with Rory.

I'm not joking.

Is he injured ?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭tommypepper

Lads - anyone know real story with Rory.

I'm not joking.

Is he injured ?

Even McIlroy doesn't know the real story with McIlroy so how could anyone else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,889 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Even McIlroy doesn't know the real story with McIlroy so how could anyone else

Well the golf community and media a fairly small crowd and word travels. Rory talks too. He seems to have decided to keep a very low profile too.

I know from my own experiences that ribs are a fecker. But - it looks like one of his breaks from the game ?

When is the last time he didn't play this end of season loop ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement