Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭tommypepper

HighLine wrote: »
    Good interview in The Telegraph with Rory below. He sounds very positive so hoping for a good start to the year for him next week in Abu Dhabi.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/golf/2018/01/12/rory-mcilroy-reveals-secret-heart-drama-china-virus-scare/

I used to like McIlroy but he just annoys me now. Flat t waves????

There are too many players hitting it as far as him now and many of them are better wedge and putter so can't see him getting to Players target. If he wins the masters first I'd say that's it. Doubt he'll get to 7 majors.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,823 ✭✭✭Panrich

There are too many players hitting it as far as him now and many of them are better wedge and putter so can't see him getting to Players target. If he wins the masters first I'd say that's it. Doubt he'll get to 7 majors.

I wouldn’t be the greatest fan either of his off the course dramas but McIlroy in full flow is still a joy to behold.

We haven’t seen it enough or at all really over the past few years so I really hope that he is in the place that he thinks he is.

At his best and when on a roll, he is so much more than just a long hitter. He can be spectacular when he gets going but he will always be a streaky player.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

He’s being honest otherwise what would have happened is some rag would have got the story and blown it all out of proportion.

I think he can get to 7 , the fact that he has 4 seems forgotten by a lot of people

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

No doubt he is a class act and if he can go this year injury free I think he will have a big year. I think the USPGA is probably his strongest chance at a major.

Having said that I can see why people don't take to him but sometimes I think he doesn't get enough credit for what he has achieved

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

redzerdrog wrote: »
    No doubt he is a class act and if he can go this year injury free I think he will have a big year. I think the USPGA is probably his strongest chance at a major.

Having said that I can see why people don't take to him but sometimes I think he doesn't get enough credit for what he has achieved
    I think part of that is that he's often brutally honest. And often that's just based on how he's feeling at that particular time. So (like most of us) he blows hot and cold on things, changes his mind or gets a different viewpoint through experience.

And people take that up as him lying or being dishonest, when it's just a guy maturing and learning from experience.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

prawnsambo wrote: »
    I think part of that is that he's often brutally honest. And often that's just based on how he's feeling at that particular time. So (like most of us) he blows hot and cold on things, changes his mind or gets a different viewpoint through experience.

And people take that up as him lying or being dishonest, when it's just a guy maturing and learning from experience.

I love Rory but he is a liar plain and simple, he's lied on multiple occasions in the past e.g. toothache, Olympics excuse

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,902 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Big time liar is Rory.
    Great golfer though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

slave1 wrote: »
    I love Rory but he is a liar plain and simple, he's lied on multiple occasions in the past e.g. toothache, Olympics excuse

I'd hazard a guess and say there's not a human alive who hasn't lied on multiple occasions

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭glack

Yes he has lied. However he is still one of the most open and compelling golfers on tour. His press conferences are actually interesting unlike most others. He speaks his mind which regularly gets him into bother as its like he doesn’t have a filter. Whatever is on his mind that day, he’ll speak about it. And often the headline writers in the media make a big deal out of an offhand remark he has made which is what I reckon happened this past week. It was something he said just in passing, not a big deal and yet it was headline news.

On the olympics issue, he clearly felt pressurised. He dealt with it poorly but I also think it highlights the issue of nationality for a lost of young people from Northern Ireland who don’t wholly identify as Irish or British but rather as northern Irish. If he could have represented Northern Ireland solely, that’s what he would have done. And while I was deeply disappointed at how it all went down, I can understand it. No matter what choice he made, he was going to be unhappy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Ah, the Olympics thing was pure spin on behalf of the OCI and IOC. He was clearly under pressure not to give the real reason and damage Olympic golf. It clearly didn't sit well with him, hence the revision after the event. And as evidenced by his deleted tweet when Pat Hickey was arrested.

But everyone had to get their knickers in a twist about it because he 'lied'. Despite the fact that it was he himself who admitted the lie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭OEP

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Ah, the Olympics thing was pure spin on behalf of the OCI and IOC. He was clearly under pressure not to give the real reason and damage Olympic golf. It clearly didn't sit well with him, hence the revision after the event. And as evidenced by his deleted tweet when Pat Hickey was arrested.

But everyone had to get their knickers in a twist about it because he 'lied'. Despite the fact that it was he himself who admitted the lie.

And for some reason no one pays one bit of attention to the fact that Shane Lowry did the exact same thing. Everyone holds Lowry in the highest regard (and I do too) but yet McIlroy gets so much stick over this issue. After all Lowry is Irish and doesn't have the same problem McIlroy has when choosing sides, but the fact he turned down the opportunity to go to the Olympics never even gets mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,987 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Solid start so far, 2 under through 16, Fleetwood on top on - 5 after 16.

Edit: birdied 17 to finish - 3, Fleetwood in the lead on - 6

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Quintis

Anyone see his round, how did he play?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Quintis wrote: »
    Anyone see his round, how did he play?

He was solid from tee to green first nine holes but missed a lot of chances to score low his second nine he was pretty much the same but took his chances. In a nutshell he is looking very solid if not spectacular.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Telecaster58

jayo26 wrote: »
    He was solid from tee to green first nine holes but missed a lot of chances to score low his second nine he was pretty much the same but took his chances. In a nutshell he is looking very solid if not spectacular.

He really is an awful putter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I didn't want to be so harsh but he does need a lot of work at the putting.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭tommypepper

I said earlier that Mcilroy annoys me but i just watched the clip on the european tour website of the 13 year old taking on the pros in nearest to the pin and mcilroy and fleetwood were so good in their interactions with him.

What a swing that 13 year old has.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭benny79

Putting let him down

Putting on tour standard greens with speed and slope is easy :rolleyes:

Seems to be on a charge now.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,823 ✭✭✭Panrich

A couple of great chances missed in the last two holes. Not bad putts but not in the hole either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭big_drive

No shot dropped so far in 33 holes is consistent stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Great eagle finish for Rory. For me the most notable improvement in his game is his wedge play. Apparently he has worked on it over the last few months and it shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Dr Devious

jayo26 wrote: »

I didn't want to be so harsh but he does need a lot of work at the putting.
    It won't make an iota of difference no matter how much work he puts in to the putting, it seems to me that you either have it or you haven't. Golf is littered with guys who are very good off the tee or with irons to the green, but the same guys are very hit and miss around or on the green. Westwood is another who comes to mind, several more who escape me for the moment. I can't recall anyone who was initially poor on the green then improved big time, they seem to have that affliction throughout their career. I'm afraid Rory is just gonna have to settle for a putting streak from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Extremely impressive performance so far after such a long lay off from competitive golf

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Dr Devious wrote: »
    It won't make an iota of difference no matter how much work he puts in to the putting, it seems to me that you either have it or you haven't. Golf is littered with guys who are very good off the tee or with irons to the green, but the same guys are very hit and miss around or on the green. Westwood is another who comes to mind, several more who escape me for the moment. I can't recall anyone who was initially poor on the green then improved big time, they seem to have that affliction throughout their career. I'm afraid Rory is just gonna have to settle for a putting streak from time to time.

Comparing Rory to Westwood :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

Played super stuff all week, game looks in great shape.

Hopefully he gets the job done this morning and gets his season off to the best possible start.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Dr Devious

Comparing Rory to Westwood :rolleyes:

His short game is right up there with Westwood today.....again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Dr Devious wrote: »
    His short game is right up there with Westwood today.....again.

Have you watched any of the golf today? He’s missed 1 short putt, all today’s issues are off the tee

• Advertisement

Yeah rorys problem today was not hitting enough fairways off the tee, his short game and putting was actually pretty good.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement