Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Could be wrong but only time I didn’t see him get up and down was from a plug lie on 17

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Dr Devious

Did he not chip through a couple of greens? Yes putting was ok today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Dr Devious wrote: »
    His short game is right up there with Westwood today.....again.

Between the two of them they have won four majors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I think it was an overall good weekend for him i didn't get to see any of today's action but from what I seen over the weekend he seems in really good shape fitness wise that's the most important for him he needs to get a flow going now I'm sure he will seen as he has a busy enough schedule between now and the masters.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,902 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Rory's weekend -

Driving - average.
    Fairway/ Rough/Chipping - average to poor.
    Putting - very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,889 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Rory's weekend -

Driving - average.
    Fairway/ Rough/Chipping - average to poor.
    Putting - very good.

watched most of his shots today.

I know he likes playing over there - but serious signs of a big season ahead.

His driving for him was poor - he found so much trouble off the tee it cost him any real chase today.

Fair play to him - shouting "fore" as well as any amateur would.
    His caddy also has a bit more experience now
    In good shape - Putting well.

Could be at least a major this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭rooney30

His chipping was excellent . His bunker play and chipping are the most underrated part of his game

Anybody that can say his chipping was poor doesn't know a thing about golf. He is also one of the top bunker players in the world and has been for a number of years. Yes he left a shot in the bunker on Saturday but it was inches from perfection.

He is in a very good place and streets ahead of where he was finishing up last year.

Haters gonna hate no matter what.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,889 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Exactly wrote: »
    Anybody that can say his chipping was poor doesn't know a thing about golf. He is also one of the top bunker players in the world and has been for a number of years. Yes he left a shot in the bunker on Saturday but it was inches from perfection.

He is in a very good place and streets ahead of where he was finishing up last year.

Haters gonna hate no matter what.

Is that a bit of an overused saying ?

Like if someone says - Couthino is not as good as Neymar - they don't hate anyone.

If someone posted - Rahm at the moment has a better short game than Rory.

You'd go - fair point , I'll look at it a bit more next time.

But - behind it you would be thinking , yes Rahm has.

Is that a bit of an overused saying ?

Like if someone says - Couthino is not as good as Neymar - they don't hate anyone.

If someone posted - Rahm at the moment has a better short game than Rory.

You'd go - fair point , I'll look at it a bit more next time.

But - behind it you would be thinking , yes Rahm has.

The comment wasn't in relation to a specific post but to Rory in general. There are people who jump on any poor performance or a few missed putts or whatever it might be. It is obvious there are posters like that in this thread specifically, probably for reasons we aren't allowed discuss ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

Personally I thought his putting was very positive from what i saw of the Sat/Sun rounds.  29 putts per round and 1.77 putt per green in reg for the tournament.  It was actually his driving in the final round which cost him.
    Very positive start to the year...i really think it'll be a great one for him

• Registered Users Posts: 3,823 ✭✭✭Panrich

Tom.D.BJJ wrote: »
    Personally I thought his putting was very positive from what i saw of the Sat/Sun rounds.  29 putts per round and 1.77 putt per green in reg for the tournament.  It was actually his driving in the final round which cost him.
    Very positive start to the year...i really think it'll be a great one for him

I agree with this. His game was good all week and it was only when the pressure came on in the final round that he hit a few loose shots but lack of recent playing time might be the cause for that. Once he has played a few more tournaments, that will improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Panrich wrote: »
    I agree with this. His game was good all week and it was only when the pressure came on in the final round that he hit a few loose shots but lack of recent playing time might be the cause for that. Once he has played a few more tournaments, that will improve.
    I actually thought it was the wind that was causing him problems off the tee. Some of it was just bad luck. One tee shot on a par three went long because the wind died just as the ball was getting to the apex. In general, the long hitters have greater difficulty in the wind, so it was bound to affect him.

Another solid bogey free round from Rory today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

jayo26 wrote: »
    Another solid bogey free round from Rory today.

Strange way of looking at his round. He just shot a 65, -7, and just 1 shot off the lead! Amazing stuff, looks like he will be a serious force this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭benny79

Barnaboy wrote: »
    Strange way of looking at his round. He just shot a 65, -7, and just 1 shot off the lead! Amazing stuff, looks like he will be a serious force this year.[/QUOTE|

Definitely he's in some serious form coming into the start of the season & has a point to prove! he wants that No 1 spot back. I actually fancy him for this one has won there twice previous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Strange way of looking at his round. He just shot a 65, -7, and just 1 shot off the lead! Amazing stuff, looks like he will be a serious force this year.

Agree and what's great to see is that he really looks to be gaining confidence with the putter now too!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,987 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Agree that he's looking really good but he tends to always play well in the dessert so I'll judge his form more when he leaves the dessert.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Agree that he's looking really good but he tends to always play well in the dessert so I'll judge his form more when he leaves the dessert.

You can't have your cake and eat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,359 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

GreeBo wrote: »

Welcome back :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

That chip at 17 was class, so close to going in.

It was solid sure. Rory is always capable of the fantastic and nearly always does it but he also van follow them up with the scrappy holes so once I Rory playing solid I feel he is always going to be right up there. But yes he was fantastic :)

GreeBo wrote: »
    I believe the correct phraseology is "You can't eat your cake and have it too".

Which if you think about it, makes a lot more sense. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,987 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

prawnsambo wrote: »

Unabomer!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Unabomer!
    Yep. Was a bit disappointed with that tbh. Started well but kind of took too many liberties with the facts imo. But that one was interesting as I always found that phrase a head scratcher in its common usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Someone has watched Unabomber on Netflix

ForeRight wrote: »
    Someone has watched Unabomber on Netflix
    More than one of us by the looks of things. :D

But back to McIlroy. :)

Ten one putts in his round today. That's some turnaround from last year. Jamie Donaldson though, ten under. :eek:

Rory's highlights here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

But back to McIlroy. :)

Ten one putts in his round today. That's some turnaround from last year. Jamie Donaldson though, ten under. :eek:

Rory's highlights here.

Two zero-putts in that highlights.

• Advertisement

Good start today. -3 after seven but bogeyed the eighth. Currently tied sixth, four off the lead. Jamie Donaldson currently leading on his own at -13 after a round of 69.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement