Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,987 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Missed opportunity there for McIlroy.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Li back level with Rory at -21. Meanwhile Hatton goes swimming on the 18th, so that's his challenege gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭markthespark77

his worst drive of the week their id say. hopefully can get away with a par.

Rory has blitzed the back 9 all week but today he's gone very conservative, like he's waiting for the others to make mistakes. This could back fire big time.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

WTF is he thinking with that second shot?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

You gotta wonder with the way he has played this hole would a professional caddy have been more beneficial?

Needs a wood here surely

Edit...nope, some dig with an iron

• Registered Users Posts: 17,323 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Not a good tee shot from Li. Good one from Rory. Gives him a slight advantage to make the shot back on the 18th.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Super effort by Rors regatdless.

He really blew that, too tentative on the back 9. Was 2 shots up on the 12 and just never kicked on. Li a deserving winner.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Was he leading by 2 or 3 after 2 rounds? I would have expected him to see it out tbh.

Was he leading by 2 or 3 after 2 rounds? I would have expected him to see it out tbh.
    No he was never leading at the conclusion of any round. Was one behind coming in to today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

Not his best over the weekend. No birdie on 13 and the drive on 16 did him today.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    No he was never leading at the conclusion of any round. Was one behind coming in to today.

He was leading after 2 rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

His 3 putt par on the back 9 was a killer but all in all in his second tourney back after a long break he has competed again and probably should have seen it out. He's trending in the right direction.
    Competing without playing his best stuff.

Very positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

fullstop wrote: »

Was -15, 2 ahead of Jamie Donaldson. Then birdied the 2nd of round 3. Was 3 in front then, probably should have won

fullstop wrote: »
    Yeah, forgot that round 2 was split over two days. Was behiind going into day three, but that was without completing round 2. :o

ForeRight wrote: »
    His 3 putt par on the back 9 was a killer but all in all in his second tourney back after a long break he has competed again and probably should have seen it out. He's trending in the right direction.
    Competing without playing his best stuff.

Very positive.
    You'd probably have to say that he doesn't have the match stamina yet. Fading a bit in the final rounds where before, he'd be improving or at least putting in a good last round.

Was -15, 2 ahead of Jamie Donaldson. Then birdied the 2nd of round 3. Was 3 in front then, probably should have won

Was 2 up with 8 to play against a relative rookie, definitely one that he left behind.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

Missing the green on the par 3 and bogeying straight after the 2 shot swing was a real killer. He got a little greedy there.

But it's great to see him back playing well again. That 3rd last week and 2nd this week should give him plenty of hunger now to keep battling.

• Advertisement

backspin. wrote: »
    Missing the green on the par 3 and bogeying straight after the 2 shot swing was a real killer. He got a little greedy there.

But it's great to see him back playing well again. That 3rd last week and 2nd this week should give him plenty of hunger now to keep battling.
    Yeah. It's the consistency that's been lacking and that seems to be coming back to him now. Some magical shots today too. Especially around the green.

Anyone see McIlroy putting for eagle and walks of with a double bogey. Crazy stuff. Blood rushing to the head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Claregaafan18

Rory's last 5 holes in Monterey Peninsula (from 5th to 9th holes - his 14th to 18th holes on the day)

5th - 5 putt double bogey
    6th - 2 putt par
    7th - 3 putt bogey
    8th - 3 putt bogey
    9th - 2 putt par

He hit 12 out of 13 fairways and 16 out of 18 Greens in Regulation. 3 over par 74 though. Why? A whopping 39 putts from my calculation. If he had the putting stroke of Jon Rahm he would win every week me thinks. What a shame that he does not match the quality of his tee to green work with at least a decent putting touch. Final question on Rory's putting. Does he ditch his putting coach Phil Kenyon or stay with him? He did work with Dave Stockton just before he won the US Open at Congressional. Maybe that's the type of advice he should seek.

He didn't take any time over those putts on the 5th he was like a weekend hacker rushing to sink the putts after missing them. Its really silly carelessness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Claregaafan18

Rory's last 5 holes in Monterey Peninsula (from 5th to 9th holes - his 14th to 18th holes on the day)

6th - 2 putt par
    7th - 3 putt bogey
    8th - 3 putt bogey
    9th - 2 putt par

He hit 12 out of 13 fairways and 16 out of 18 Greens in Regulation. 3 over par 74 though. Why? A whopping 39 putts from my calculation. If he had the putting stroke of Jon Rahm he would win every week me thinks. What a shame that he does not match the quality of his tee to green work with at least a decent putting touch. Final question on Rory's putting. Does he ditch his putting coach Phil Kenyon or stay with him? He did work with Dave Stockton just before he won the US Open at Congressional. Maybe that's the type of advice he should seek.

I loved Rory's putting in 2011-12 when he was working with Dave Stockton. He won 2 majors and won the Race To Dubai in 2012 also in that period and was the best player in the world by a mile back then. His putting performances when he won the 2011 US Open in Congressional and the 2012 US PGA Championship at Kiawah Island was sensational. Therefore I think a similar approach would help McIlroy in order to find the midas touch on the dancefloors.

I look at the strokes of Jon Rahm and McIlroy and the two are not the same. Rahm's putting stroke is so natural and so sweet. It has a very good flow also. Rory's stroke looks more technical and not as natural. I would love to see Rory return to Stockton in order for him to match the quality that he possesses from tee to green with his putting. If he can do that then Rory can look forward to exciting times ahead with his golf game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

6th - 2 putt par
    7th - 3 putt bogey
    8th - 3 putt bogey
    9th - 2 putt par

The problem is between his ears,always has been.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Disgraceful stuff from Rory last night.

It's funny in here though because if that happened a few months ago poor old JP would be getting slaughtered for not stepping in. Not a word about the caddy yet in regard to this brain explosion by Rory.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭glack

ForeRight wrote: »
    Disgraceful stuff from Rory last night.

It's funny in here though because if that happened a few months ago poor old JP would be getting slaughtered for not stepping in. Not a word about the caddy yet in regard to this brain explosion by Rory.

His dad was with him too. Obviously his dad wouldn’t have stepped in but you’d think his presence would have had an influence all the same. Forget a putting coach, its a sports psychologist he needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭liamoreilly

6th - 2 putt par
    7th - 3 putt bogey
    8th - 3 putt bogey
    9th - 2 putt par

...Where would he rank worldwide for putting...I'd imagine he wouldn't be classed in top 20 in the world?...Can't think of any other player that has such a difference between putting and everything else...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

...Where would he rank worldwide for putting...I'd imagine he wouldn't be classed in top 20 in the world?...Can't think of any other player that has such a difference between putting and everything else...

I doubt he's in the top 100 tbh.

104th in total putts last season on Tour but there's that many stats out there I'm not sure exactly how he fares.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement