Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Quintis wrote: »
    No head for it atm, making crazy decisions, going for 18 in 2 on Thursday when he could of laid up and pitched and putted for a 4 or a par at worst when he instead came away with a dumb double after dunking it in the water, I appreciate he wants to go for everything but it was a extremely risky play with minimal reward if he pulled it off in very tough conditions, typifies his play atm, careless

The worst bit of course management I've seen in a long long time.

Leaders at -4 at the time and conditions were very tough and he takes on that shot 270 across water. Pure stupidity imo. Take the 5 at worst but a decent look at 4 and finish level ready for the second round. Taking that on in round 1 like that was ridiculous and he deserves to have his head shaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭tommypepper

He's trying to do everything himself. He admitted as much about his putting and handed himself over to Kenyon in the end.
    You're out there for six hours in the most trying conditions and pressure. If you don't lean on your caddie from time to time you're at a disadvantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,622 ✭✭✭bren2001

Into the water twice today on 17. He just baffles me as. I've no idea why I continue to get excited when I see a glimpse of good form.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

Has he regressed since change of caddy or pretty much the same? Probably too early to tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

Is there a reason Rory's not playing this week? Seems an odd decision to omit a WGC from the schedule?
    He had a top 10 at the same event last year too.

• Advertisement

kiers47 wrote: »
    Is there a reason Rory's not playing this week? Seems an odd decision to omit a WGC from the schedule?

Probably didn't like the event last year and wants to spend time with herself.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Apparently he got food poisoning at it last year and that's put him off going back this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Quintis

Playing the next three afte (Valspar, Palmer, Matchplay) before two weeks off then the Masters

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Zaph wrote: »
    Apparently he got food poisoning at it last year and that's put him off going back this year.
    Isn't that the episode that left him with a heart problem?

Nothing madly serious btw, but something he now has to monitor. Which is still a high enough price for a meal. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

prawnsambo wrote: »
    high enough price for a meal. :(

a prawn sambo?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Isn't that the episode that left him with a heart problem?

Nothing madly serious btw, but something he now has to monitor. Which is still a high enough price for a meal. :(

That was Asia

He got food poisoning in Mexico last year and picked up a viral infection in china I think it was about 6 months before that which is the cause of his heart condition(nothing serious)

Getting food poisoning is hardly reason to avoid a country especially for a WGC. It's a strange one to miss out of what is a busy schedule before the masters.

ForeRight wrote: »
    He got food poisoning in Mexico last year and picked up a viral infection in china I think it was about 6 months before that which is the cause of his heart condition(nothing serious)

Getting food poisoning is hardly reason to avoid a country especially for a WGC. It's a strange one to miss out of what is a busy schedule before the masters.

Thats exactly what i thought. There is hardly a reason to skip this week and play the Valspar(all be it that is in Florida). But still.

Im usually not one to criticize as obviously he should know best at this stage. But this decision is bizarre to me.

A limited field WGC should be nailed on the calendar.

Thats exactly what i thought. There is hardly a reason to skip this week and play the Valspar(all be it that is in Florida). But still.

Im usually not one to criticize as obviously he should know best at this stage. But this decision is bizarre to me.

He obviously has his reasons and sure who are we to question I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

Zika??? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

ForeRight wrote: »

What's the Mexico WGC course like? 
    Maybe the conditions and courses in the 3 tournaments he's playing in are more like what he'll face in Augusta and the WGC tournament wouldn't be accurate practice. Just guessing here really.

neddynasty wrote: »
    What's the Mexico WGC course like? 
    Maybe the conditions and courses in the 3 tournaments he's playing in are more like what he'll face in Augusta and the WGC tournament wouldn't be accurate practice. Just guessing here really.

Last year was the first time they played it. Pretty short when you take in the altitude (course is like 7300 or something). But they are saying the ball is going 10-15% further with the altitude.(DJ drove it through the first last year and OB with a 3 wood. i think the pin was 330)

Other than that it is heavily tree lined and it is all about the tee shot. Im no expert on the course as i only seen it for the first time last year but it looks like it wouldnt hurt with an Augusta prep.

Course below.
    https://course.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/course/course/clubdegolfchapultepec/aerial.htm

In saying that. The Valspar course (Innisbrook) probably similar(ish) also with a number of quite tight tree lined fairways.

He mentioned a few weeks ago why he wasn't playing. They had traveled from the West coast back to Florida last week for Doral and he didn't fancy going back west again so soon.

He has suggested that he will play it next year when the scheduling of it in the calendar is changed.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Looking like another weekend off for Rory. Making bogies from middle of the fairway is just not good enough

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

I hope I'm wrong but he looks like he has completely lost interest now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

God that 9th hole was an absolute shambles from him.

Did the hard part when getting aggressive off the tee and hitting the fairway and then misses the green from 100 yards. Simply not good enough and can’t see him getting back to number one in the world if he doesn’t address his wedge play.

He's finished for 2018 based on what I'm looking at. Needs to listen to some good advice now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Claregaafan18

He just hit a 348 yard drive at the par five 11th hole though so maybe he is not out of the reckoning in relation to making the cut. Nothing wrong with his driving and long iron play. Just his inconsistent wedge play and his abysmal putting are holding him back. As I said weeks ago he needs to go to Dave Stockton for putting advice as his best years came from him going to Stockton with his putting. Remember the 2011 US Open where he destroyed the field in one of most complete performances in major championship history with his putting simply outstanding along with his razor sharp ball striking too. Finally if you were put on the line to say who would win the most majors in the next 5 years either between Rory or Tiger then TW wins that argument no doubt me thinks.

He's finished for 2018 based on what I'm looking at. Needs to listen to some good advice now.

It’s early March FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Another week of golf, another week of excuses for Rory

Another week of golf, another week of excuses for Rory

What excuses has he made?

One of the more recent interviews with sky I saw he acknowledged he is not playing well enough and pinpoints the obvious such as his wedge play and putting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭Russman

Finally if you were put on the line to say who would win the most majors in the next 5 years either between Rory or Tiger then TW wins that argument no doubt me thinks.

Not sure how Tiger’s zero will beat anyone :-)

Seriously though, I think we’ll be able to better judge Rory’s form after the Masters, he’s only, what, 3 or 4 tournaments into his US season. He doesn’t looks good right now but he’s so mercurial he can seemingly go on a tear from out of nowhere and have a run of amazing form a la summer ‘14. The wedge play is f—King shocking though.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Dr Devious

ziggy wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

You mean there was a time when you actually thought JP WAS the problem?

• Advertisement

And Jordan Spieths too...

Sure they both may as well just throw the clubs in the shed for the rest of the year now

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement