Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭tommypepper

ForeRight wrote: »
    And Jordan Spieths too...

Sure they both may as well just throw the clubs in the shed for the rest of the year now

Look at the pattern since 2016. I'm not basing it on one tournament. He isn't fixing the problems he has. That's extremely worrying. Why can't a world class player hit a green from 100 yards. Not just on a handful of occasions. Consistently!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭benny79

He said he has spent the off season working hard on his wedges and putting and fellow Pro's have stated his game is not far away. He's like a machine in the range its more mental as he is destroying course's when practising etc.. and Rory been Rory is putting to much pressure on himself to win instead of just letting it go and enjoy playing.. But he obviously hasn't got a good team around him I dont think he should have ever let JP go he should ask him back, thats if he will come back and if not get a professional instead of his mate..

Sometimes we get to far ahead of ourselves and when all we really need to do is go back to the basics and keep it simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

I don't think anyone ever said JP was the problem but what some (me included) have said is that he wasn't the solution.

But that was based on the times Rory was struggling and JP was visibly staying out of it. Ironically, it was after the one time JP was known to have spoken up that he got sacked so it may be that Rory just doesn't want any help from his bag carrier.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

People really need to let the JP thing go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Keano wrote: »
    People really need to let the JP thing go.

Well Rory did.....

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

-4 after 8, playing well today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

His 2018 is finished

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Hmmmmm......I hesitate to say it, but this could be an epic few days of golf if Rory and Tiger get in and stay in the mix together!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Rory's putting still leaving a lot to be desired. Not even threatening the hole from outside 20ft - 30ft. Needs to hit a hot streak with it if his is going to bring it over the line.

• Advertisement

AGC wrote: »
    His 2018 is finished

Its just one round and hes making some long par putts.
    I'll come back to this thread after the PGA, lets see how many tournaments he won by then.
    Ill wager none.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

I'll come back to this thread after the PGA, lets see how many tournaments he won by then.
    Ill wager none.

I’d have a piece of that

• Registered Users Posts: 20,359 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Rors O\b

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

What an absolute numbty on the last. Horrendous tee shot and he didn’t even use the driver.

Such a disaster after a much improved round of golf

Ill wager none.

He makes putts some see it as a negative he misses putts it’s a negative

AGC wrote: »
    He makes putts some see it as a negative he misses putts it’s a negative

Ur being obtuse. Its obvious I meant he's leaving himself too much work for par on too many holes. He's not the most consistent putter. It'll hurt him over 4 rounds.

He's underachieved for the last three years and yes I include the tour championship in that. Hes not been able to address his problems as of yet. His Putting may never get better but his wedges and course management absolutely can and have to. He's got the wrong approach with having his friend as caddy. The days of keep up shut up are over.

Guys are on here giving rational reasons why he's not performing. You're coming on with he's "Rory McIlroy he's going to win"

Care to give me some decent counter argument instead of your throwaway smart comment?

Ur being obtuse. Its obvious I meant he's leaving himself too much work for par on too many holes. He's not the most consistent putter. It'll hurt him over 4 rounds.

He's underachieved for the last three years and yes I include the tour championship in that. Hes not been able to address his problems as of yet. His Putting may never get better but his wedges and course management absolutely can and have to. He's got the wrong approach with having his friend as caddy. The days of keep up shut up are over.

Guys are on here giving rational reasons why he's not performing. You're coming on with he's "Rory McIlroy he's going to win"

Care to give me some decent counter argument instead of your throwaway smart comment?

There is absolutely no doubt about it he has under achieved, He has acknowledged that himself in all in depth interviews I have heard him in. He has acknowledged where he needs to improve, as I and many others have said so it is no secret to anyone.

My ‘throwaway smart comment’ is in follow up to your ridiculous comment that his 2018 is finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

It really is one step forward two steps back for rory at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 20,359 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

took a step forward today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Claregaafan18

Rory McIlroy right in contention for the Arnold Palmer Invitational after carding an impressive 5 under 67 to be just 2 shots off the lead ahead of tonight's final round in Bay Hill. Rory's all round game seems to be in great shape at the moment and if he can keep up this form in three weeks time in Augusta, then who knows what he can achieve in the only major that has eluded him for the 4 time major winner.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Rory McIlroy right in contention for the Arnold Palmer Invitational after carding an impressive 5 under 67 to be just 2 shots off the lead ahead of tonight's final round in Bay Hill. Rory's all round game seems to be in great shape at the moment and if he can keep up this form in three weeks time in Augusta, then who knows what he can achieve in the only major that has eluded him for the 4 time major winner.

Great shape? He has missed the last couple of cuts, hasn't won in ages and his putting is awful most of the time. The winner of this tournament often closes better than 13/14 under, this year it could be anywhere up to 18 under, it's hardly the most challenging of tracks. Certainly there is no comparison between it and Augusta, but let's see if he keeps going forward or drops back cause of wand issue.

He is second in strokes gained per GIR this week. Chat with Brad Faxon seems to have helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭rooney30

He is going to blitz the field this evening and win comfortably by 3 or 4 shots

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

rooney30 wrote: »
    He is going to blitz the field this evening and win comfortably by 3 or 4 shots

I still think Stenson will do it. He only had a -1 yesterday. Rory was -5. Very difficult to do two in a row like that. More likely Stenson will go -3 or -4.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

davo10 wrote: »
    Great shape? He has missed the last couple of cuts, hasn't won in ages and his putting is awful most of the time. The winner of this tournament often closes better than 13/14 under, this year it could be anywhere up to 18 under, it's hardly the most challenging of tracks. Certainly there is no comparison between it and Augusta, but let's see if he keeps going forward or drops back cause of wand issue.

In the past 10 years, -13 has been bettered twice at Bay Hill and 3 times at Augusta. So yeah, no comparison :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

fullstop wrote: »
    In the past 10 years, -13 has been bettered twice at Bay Hill and 3 times at Augusta. So yeah, no comparison :pac:

Augusta is typically an easier course than Bay Hill. Not sure where davo gets his golf opinions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Augusta is typically an easier course than Bay Hill. Not sure where davo gets his golf opinions.

Half the top 50 don't turn up at Bay Hill, it's not a major, it's a good warm up tournament, but Augusta on a Major weekend, it isn't. Bay Hill is not a challenging track, the commentators have been saying it, it is flat with rough they let grow for this weekend, they expected high scores to be posted over the last couple of days. I will defer to those commentators and journos in the know, personally I've never played either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

davo10 wrote:
    Half the top 50 don't turn up at Bay Hill, it's not a major, it's a good warm up tournament, but Augusta on a Major weekend, it isn't. Bay Hill is not a challenging track, the commentators have been saying it, it is flat with rough they let grow for this weekend, they expected high scores to be posted over the last couple of days. I will defer to those commentators and journos in the know, personally I've never played either.

The average winning score at Bay Hill over the last 10 years is -12. The average winning score at the Masters in the same period is -11. It's hardly a collosal difference.

Augusta also famously has little to no rough. You can smack your driver round there willy nilly and you're likely to find yourself with an escape route to the green.

Inaccurate big hitting drivers can still will there providing you've got a good short game (putting). That's why the likes of Phil, Tiger, Bubba Watson, Jordan Spieth do so well there. On top of that if you're a solid iron player then you've got a great chance.

As great as Augusta is, from a golf purist point of view I'd consider a US open champion to be a better barometer of the very best players.

Bay Hill might not have all of the top players there, but the majority of the big boys are there. Rest assured it is a very good tournament and a solid test of golf. The winning score on tour is usually in the region of -16 so this will be no different.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,378 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Two birdies in a row, might put some pressure on Stenson.

• Advertisement

Here we go

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement