Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Just missed his bird on 17 too.

Rory is an absolute animal when in full flow. Majestic to watch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

ForeRight wrote: »
    Hello there

Wonder if TommyPeopers will show up???

Roll on 2019

Delighted for the ‘experts’

• Registered Users Posts: 21,190 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

He's Back

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

PARlance wrote: »
    He's Back

Nah Par padraig missed the cut. Hopefully next week is his week.

Its just one round and hes making some long par putts.
    I'll come back to this thread after the PGA, lets see how many tournaments he won by then.
    Ill wager none.

Well said

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

• Registered Users Posts: 3,823 ✭✭✭Panrich

Faxon might be getting a full time job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭stockdam

Birdied 5 out of the last 6 holes...........fantastic last round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭stockdam

Well done Rory...........had to play well to win and he did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭RedPeppers

How many tournaments since he last won anything?

RedPeppers wrote: »
    How many tournaments since he last won anything?

Tommy’s brother?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,987 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

After 5 holes he was 4 behind stenson and ended up beating him by 5.

Sensation stuff, masters will be epic.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 21,378 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

God I really hope my 2018 is over the same way Rorys is

Mushy wrote: »
    God I really hope my 2018 is over the same way Rorys is

That was easily one of the most ridiculous comments on boards

And that’s saying something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Jayo26 will never win the lotto.

I wonder will this work :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

ligerdub wrote: »
    He made that prediction this morning, when the leader after the 3rd day was what, -12? Hardly Mystic Meg stuff, no disrespect to the guy.

Winner -18, 53 players under par. Interesting to see the scores from Augusta, being an easier course, they will no doubt be higher.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Delighted for Rors. He won very well. Faxon seems to have improved his putting.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

He said afterwards that he was trying to be more instinctive with his putting and less process driven. That seems to work. :)

Did he change his putter recently?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Did he change his putter recently?

Yeap

Big difference I noticed on the greens was his understanding of the speed.
    He actually left a few short early in the round.
    Lately imo he's been far to aggressive, if he didn't sink the putt it was likely to go 5 feet past.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭max life

rooney30 wrote: »
    I see no future for Rory Mcilroy in the game of golf

This☺️☺️☺️

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Dr Devious

At one stage I was hoping for a playoff with Woods and Mcilroy until Woods hit it out of bounds. Not only did Mcilroy get going with the putter but also with the wedges, let’s hope he keeps it together for the masters, but be realistic folks, he WILL break down with the putter again in the future as he has done throughout his career, then starts changing putter, coach, method etc. until he hits a spell again and so the cycle continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

davo10 wrote: »
    Winner -18, 53 players under par. Interesting to see the scores from Augusta, being an easier course, they will no doubt be higher.

So you are using one example to prove your point? If you toss a coin once and get heads do you assume that to be a biased coin?

Easy to use 53 people under par when the field is that big. That's about the size of the whole weekend field at Augusta. There are usually about 15-18 players between old champions and amateur players at the Masters. That's a reasonable chunk of a total field of about 95. So the chances of getting more people putting in great scores in automatically reduced.

The point has been made already that the long term averages for winning scores at Bay Hill are comparable to Augusta, with a field about 33% larger, and with no token competitors in the field. The runner up in Bay Hill in the 21st century is around -10.5 average, compared to -8.5 in Augusta.

I never said Augusta was easy (somebody else did). I merely said that using no rough at Bay Hill was not exactly a good reason to say, and I use your words here "Certainly there is no comparison between it and Augusta".....well if you're going to talk about rough then surely the lack of serious rough at Augusta hardly helps your argument.

Augusta isn't a hugely penalising course for those a bit wayward off the tee. Surely any even rudimentary consideration of the course setup and past winners would tell you that (I'm not going through the list again). It has wide fairways and a good possibility of a good lie and sight to the green if you miss the target in most cases. What it does demand of you is to be able to fire very accurate iron shots into very small patches of the green and hold your nerve on the green. It's one of the most unique challenges in golf, but it does play into the hands of those who fire the big stick a long way and have a good short game.

I actually would say that Augusta is a tougher course than Bay Hill - it's a penalising place, but I certainly wouldn't say it's "no comparison" in difficulty. Augusta is a real horses for courses place. If it plays into your strengths then you can expect to make multiple runs at wins there, and it's probably why you see the same names up there every year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Actually that was my point, which you were so dismissive of, you can't judge a player's form on one tournament. Particularly one where 53 players are under par and the winning score is -18, the course was not that difficult a challenge. The "easier" Augusta where "you can smack your driver round there willy nilly" will have much higher scores, time will tell of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

McIlroy noted that he had spoken earlier in the week with Brad Faxon, one of the game’s best putters for a number of years, and the discussion led to McIlroy trying to be freer with his stroke. The putter change helped that along, according to McIlroy, as he used a slightly longer putter than he is used to at 34.25 inches in length.

“[That] sort of lets me just be a little more comfortable with it,” he said. “I'm not quite as stiff and wooden and, so, just a couple little things and basically just went back to a length and a sort of feel that I have had success with.”

Went back to the length he won his majors with and a few tips from Faxon. Easy game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,823 ✭✭✭Panrich

Rory surprisingly has the best average finishing position and the most birdies per round on the PGA tour for the past 8 years on Bermuda greens (as found at Bay Hill) so it will be interesting to see how he goes at Austin CC on Bentgrass (the same as Augusta). If he can continue to give a good putting performance on these greens, then he may well have turned a corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

prawnsambo wrote: »
    He said afterwards that he was trying to be more instinctive with his putting and less process driven. That seems to work. :)
    Didn't he go through a phase, a few of years ago, with his putting where he didn't take a practice swing, he just addressed the ball and hit it. It lasted maybe 3 months and he was winning or contending in every tournament. It was pure instinct he was playing off. 

I may have my timings wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭Russman

neddynasty wrote: »
    Didn't he go through a phase, a few of years ago, with his putting where he didn't take a practice swing, he just addressed the ball and hit it. It lasted maybe 3 months and he was winning or contending in every tournament. It was pure instinct he was playing off.

I may have my timings wrong.

AFAIK he never takes a practice putting stoke when he has addressed the ball, it will always be from behind that ball so his aim isn't thrown off apparently.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement