Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

GreeBo wrote: »
    I think it's more that people aren't impressed with him having good rounds and finishing top 10 after what is fast becoming the typical "take yourself out of contention" round in the middle. A pattern is emerging and it's not good imo.

Totally agree, top players couldn't care less about "a top 10 finish", as Woods said in that documentary about him on sky, only the "W" beside your name matters. McIllroy, as happens a lot, has a great round when he is out of contention and the pressure is off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Big Rory fan and I do feel of the current batch on their day he is number 1 but on his day is becoming less and less.

I have no doubt he will win countless more events and some majors but watching the players today he has been garbage. Both playing partners were well out of things and struggling to make the cut and now look likely to make it while he will easily miss it.

Today watching him looks like the first time it is really getting to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

A wasted talent

AnneFrank wrote: »
    A wasted talent

Ya only 23 professional wins including 4 majors what could have been hope he enjoys his retirement

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

AGC wrote: »
    Big Rory fan and I do feel of the current batch on their day he is number 1 but on his day is becoming less and less.

I have no doubt he will win countless more events and some majors but watching the players today he has been garbage. Both playing partners were well out of things and struggling to make the cut and now look likely to make it while he will easily miss it.

Today watching him looks like the first time it is really getting to him.

I think its debatable he ever wins another major. College programs in US are churning out huge numbers of talented players. Georgia Bulldogs had 8 alummi in the players alone. He is brilliant off the tee but wedge game and putting are not up to required standard. In US you are coached the game from the green back. In Europe everyone puts so much emphasis on the driver that you may just use 12 times a round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Ya only 23 professional wins including 4 majors what could have been hope he enjoys his retirement

That doesn't mean it's not wasted talent, he should have double that.

That doesn't mean it's not wasted talent, he should have double that.

If any golfer played their A game all the time theyd win a lot more its not easy to do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Whiplash85 wrote: »
    I think its debatable he ever wins another major. College programs in US are churning out huge numbers of talented players. Georgia Bulldogs had 8 alummi in the players alone. He is brilliant off the tee but wedge game and putting are not up to required standard. In US you are coached the game from the green back. In Europe everyone puts so much emphasis on the driver that you may just use 12 times a round.

No debate IMO

He knows and has spoken about his wedge game being poor.

Rory would not or ever have been worried about good college players or any other player, he knows he can beat anyone and should most days that is what he needs to start producing a bit more.

He is still winning events and putting in streaky performances but he is currently coming across very frustrated.

If any golfer played their A game all the time theyd win a lot more its not easy to do

The guys who win have a B or C game to fall back on during a tournament.
    Rory seems to have A or Z, it's either very good or very bad.

His wedge game isn't bad, it's atrocious!
    I'd be rightly annoyed at missing greens from where he does.

Being the best driver in the world isn't how you win tournaments, if you can't hit a green from 80 yards then you are in a group of high handicappers ( + Fix apparently!) And Neff to have a long hard chat to yourself.

Having good and bad days putting is one thing, missing a green from where you could throw it on is a whole other problem.

He has been working on this wedge game for quite a while now, without much in the way of improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

Lots of other things going on in his life which seem a lot more public when compared to for instance Day, Spieth etc so i always feel that Rory just has not got the almost manic focus that a lot of his rivals have. Do they simply want it more. Rory's talent with Padraig's focus and dedication, Maybe he has that and practices just as much what any of us really know.

• Advertisement

As Nicklaus said, a pro missing a green with a wedge is like missing your mouth with a fork. I agree with Greebo, his talent is such that he should have won a lot more, but it's either brilliant or awful. Personally I can't understand why people point to "a great round" per tournament after he has already blasted himself out of contention or followed up a great round with a disaster the next day. Top pros grind out scores even if they aren't playing well, the try to limit the damage. If McIllroy starts badly, he just gives up.

He could well have a great future behind him.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭The Premier Man

AGC wrote:

This idea that he is the best in the world on his day is nonsense to me. Ye he has shot very low and gone away from fields but so have plenty of other top 20 players. Just looking at major championships in the last couple of years Justin Thomas shot 9 under 63, Phil shot 8 under 63,branden grace shot 8 under 62 and best of all henrik stenson shot 8 under 63 on a Sunday to win his first major. Rory shot his 9 under 63, 8 years ago so the idea that he still ranks with some as the best in the world on his day is dated to say the least. Right now if you compare him with dj or jt, what part of rorys game is better than them? The only one I could think of is long irons and even at that it's not by much

davo10 wrote: »
    As Nicklaus said, a pro missing a green with a wedge is like missing your mouth with a fork. I agree with Greebo, his talent is such that he should have won a lot more, but it's either brilliant or awful. Personally I can't understand why people point to "a great round" per tournament after he has already blasted himself out of contention or followed up a great round with a disaster the next day. Top pros grind out scores even if they aren't playing well, the try to limit the damage. If McIllroy starts badly, he just gives up.

He could well have a great future behind him.

I've lots going on in my life and I'd still be shocked at missing a green from 100 yards away. ( I was shocked 3 times today :()

The guys who win have a B or C game to fall back on during a tournament.
    Rory seems to have A or Z, it's either very good or very bad.

His wedge game isn't bad, it's atrocious!
    I'd be rightly annoyed at missing greens from where he does.

Being the best driver in the world isn't how you win tournaments, if you can't hit a green from 80 yards then you are in a group of high handicappers ( + Fix apparently!) And Neff to have a long hard chat to yourself.

Having good and bad days putting is one thing, missing a green from where you could throw it on is a whole other problem.

He has been working on this wedge game for quite a while now, without much in the way of improvement.

Well given all that it would seem he has big gaps in his mental game, which is still part of your game.

You cant just say he should have won double what he has just because you know how well he can hit a ball.

There is much more to golf then that

Well given all that it would seem he has big gaps in his mental game, which is still part of your game.

You cant just say he should have won double what he has just because you know how well he can hit a ball.

There is much more to golf then that

You don't need a solid mental game to hit a target from 80 yards.

It's not like the gets into contention and then chokes, indicating a mental issue, he just can't play "ok" golf. It's either fireworks or bust.

Anyway, if you are saying his mental fragility is part of his golfing ability then he isn't one of the best in the world at all, he just gets lucky some weeks.

You don't need a solid mental game to hit a target from 80 yards.

It's not like the gets into contention and then chokes, indicating a mental issue, he just can't play "ok" golf. It's either fireworks or bust.

Anyway, if you are saying his mental fragility is part of his golfing ability then he isn't one of the best in the world at all, he just gets lucky some weeks.

So according to you its not a talent issue or a mental issues whats left bad luck or golf gods?

Of course mental game is part of golfing ability, more so in high pressure golf tournaments

So according to you its not a talent issue or a mental issues whats left bad luck or golf gods?

Of course mental game is part of golfing ability, more so in high pressure golf tournaments

Missing a green from 80 yards on a Thursday isn't high pressure golf.

It's mainly an attitude issue for me.
    He has the talent, for some shots, but needs someone to teach him how to hit a simple pitch shot.
    I'm less bothered by the putting, some people are just not great putters.

Missing a green from 80 yards on a Thursday isn't high pressure golf.

It's mainly an attitude issue for me.
    He has the talent, for some shots, but needs someone to teach him how to hit a simple pitch shot.
    I'm less bothered by the putting, some people are just not great putters.

So you believe it to be a technical issue, Im not or did i say thursday is high pressure golf but he could be putting huge pressure on himself.

I feel we have strayed slightly away from where we started but I fail to see how if you think a golfer still needs to be taught a simple chip shot he should have won double the amount he has especially given how much he has won.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,902 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I think Rory deliberately missed a putt last evening.
    I don't believe he wanted to make the cut.
    He gave the putt no time at all imo.

So you believe it to be a technical issue, Im not or did i say thursday is high pressure golf but he could be putting huge pressure on himself.

I feel we have strayed slightly away from where we started but I fail to see how if you think a golfer still needs to be taught a simple chip shot he should have won double the amount he has especially given how much he has won.

I believe how swing is tailored to hitting the ball as far as he can, to the detriment of the rest of glad game. DJ was similar for a while and turned it around in a season.

It's probably beyond technical now, ours swing overhaul territory.

Based on natural ability he had when he first appeared he should have won more, with his driving smiley just an average wedge and short game he should have won more.

He doesn't need to be taught a simple chip, he needs to remember how to hit a wedge straight, just like he probably did when he was 10 years old or like you and I do 9/10 times.
    Instead he seems focused on hitting it 150 yards, in the general direction of the green, when it happens to go near the flag, hurray! When it doesn't then is head down and take 3 or 4 to get down.
    Then bang in a 67 on Sunday for a top 5 finish.

It's a complete waste of the raw talent he clearly has to hit a ball.

• Advertisement

I believe how swing is tailored to hitting the ball as far as he can, to the detriment of the rest of glad game. DJ was similar for a while and turned it around in a season.

It's probably beyond technical now, ours swing overhaul territory.

Based on natural ability he had when he first appeared he should have won more, with his driving smiley just an average wedge and short game he should have won more.

He doesn't need to be taught a simple chip, he needs to remember how to hit a wedge straight, just like he probably did when he was 10 years old or like you and I do 9/10 times.
    Instead he seems focused on hitting it 150 yards, in the general direction of the green, when it happens to go near the flag, hurray! When it doesn't then is head down and take 3 or 4 to get down.
    Then bang in a 67 on Sunday for a top 5 finish.

It's a complete waste of the raw talent he clearly has to hit a ball.

All fair points except about me hitting wedges.

I get what people are saying about Rory to some degree but he has achieved a lot and even if he goes on to win a lot more in his career some people will always say he should have won more. I'm not saying they are wrong either I just dont think its as black and white as they make out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

I don't know why he doesn't just use that 'sawn off' swing he has from anywhere inside 150, he always controls the ball much better when he uses it.

All fair points except about me hitting wedges.

I get what people are saying about Rory to some degree but he has achieved a lot and even if he goes on to win a lot more in his career some people will always say he should have won more. I'm not saying they are wrong either I just dont think its as black and white as they make out.

He has certainly won a lot, 95% of pros would bite your arm off for his career to date, for their entire career. I reckon Lowry, McDowell, Kuchar, etc would be delighted with it for example.

I think it's fair to say no matter what he goes on to do, he should have won more, based on what he had let slip away so far, I'm looking at you Masters 2018!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭Russman

Sure didn’t he say it himself in that joint interview with Harrington. Padraig said that for Rory, 4 majors at this point was underachieving (can’t remebernthe exact words) and Rory agreed. In the same breath Padraig said 3 for him was overachieving.

Tbh I’m not sure I fully buy the “he gives up” narrative. Yeah his shoulders slumped a bit when he was younger, but I think a bit too much is made of body language, especially for the ultra gifted. They don’t always conform to what “we” think they should be doing. It’s possible to try your hardest while not looking like it imo.

I think the putting hasn’t been too bad this season overall, he’s 31st in strokes gained, which is pretty good for him. I just think the long game hasn’t been quite right this year - we hardly saw him on a fairway at Augusta or this week at Sawgrass.
    On a more technical level I wonder is his length and what Pete Cowan calls “flash speed” at the bottom of the swing what holds back his wedge play ? Look at the wedge control a Zach Johnson has but he doesn’t have that speed or clubhead release.

Either way he needs to up the game or get stampeded by the herd.

Russman wrote: »
    On a more technical level I wonder is his length and what Pete Cowan calls “flash speed” at the bottom of the swing what holds back his wedge play ? Look at the wedge control a Zach Johnson has but he doesn’t have that speed or clubhead release.

Either way he needs to up the game or get stampeded by the herd.

Tbf his shoulders still slump, he's no grinder.

Your swing point is exactly what I'm saying, it's great for a driver, useless for distance control.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,987 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

This thread goes very quiet when he's playing well :D

Anyway a 67 and 65 the first two days to put him top of the leaderboard and in a good position going into the weekend.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Tyson Fury wrote: »

Anyway a 67 and 65 the first two days to put him top of the leaderboard and in a good position going into the weekend.
    I thought the same thing. Exhibition stuff from him today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Tyson Fury wrote: »

This thread is the exact opposite of the Tiger Woods thread.

When Tiger goes out in -4 there's salivation and constant posts, "Tigers back" etc, comes back in +3 and there's tumbleweeds.

Rory has the opposite effect.

ligerdub wrote: »
    This thread is the exact opposite of the Tiger Woods thread.

When Tiger goes out in -4 there's salivation and constant posts, "Tigers back" etc, comes back in +3 and there's tumbleweeds.

Rory has the opposite effect.

There's still time for it to go pear shaped, as it often does. If he could put 4 good rounds together regularly, he'd still be world number 1 and have a few more majors, hopefully this won't be a repeat of the last time he was in a good position to win on the last day, only to have the customary meltdown on the greens.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

davo10 wrote: »
    There's still time for it to go pear shaped, as it often does. If he could put 4 good rounds together regularly, he'd still be world number 1 and have a few more majors, hopefully this won't be a repeat of the last time he was in a good position to win on the last day, only to have the customary meltdown on the greens.
    How many of the top player's these day's put 4 good rounds together week after week. The fact that we have a new world number 1 again say's it all. Golf has moved away from the Tiger era, he was on a different planet. Rory et al will never be like him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement