Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Dr Devious

Time for a new caddy then all will be rosy����

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Rikand wrote: »

Did he not shoot under par for 4 days ? What did he shoot yesterday?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Keano wrote: »
    One under iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,987 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Solid weeks golf, coming into form ahead of an important few months on the European tour.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Did he not turn a three shot lead into a two shot loss?

• Advertisement

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Solid weeks golf, coming into form ahead of an important few months on the European tour.

Dunno how you can call that a solid weeks golf tbh.
    The final result sure, but the golf was not in any way solid, two way misses all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

GreeBo wrote: »

I think Molinari deserves some credit too. He played much better over the last two rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Dunno how you can call that a solid weeks golf tbh.
    The final result sure, but the golf was not in any way solid, two way misses all over the place.

No pictures on a scorecard .

He wasn't far off winning a top event playing poor at times

He is very close to something special. Id say he will win a major thus year.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Rikand posts he has 2 bad rounds him in, he shoots under par for 4 days which would indicate to most normal people a solid week. However he will be annoyed that he did let it slip that we can agree on.

No pictures on a scorecard .

He wasn't far off winning a top event playing poor at times

He is very close to something special. Id say he will win a major thus year.

That would make sense if he hit it everywhere but still scored well.

He was sitting in neutral if not reverse. He held a 3 shot lead and lost by two, Molinari played well, but we only 4 under, plenty of lower scores out there, but not if you can't hit the green from 120 yards.

He has a two way miss, alignment problems and has no idea where it's going when he hits it hard. All his own words.
    He also struggles to hit any of his wedges inside 30 feet.

If that's considered close these days, put me down for another captains prizes this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,358 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

put me down for another captains prizes this year.

thinly veiled brag

First Up wrote: »
    I think Molinari deserves some credit too. He played much better over the last two rounds.

He does, but that doesn't hide the fact that 3 under for your last 36 holes is poor golf.

Rikand wrote: »
    thinly veiled brag

I could have said third.:cool:

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

If that's considered close these days, put me down for another captains prizes this year.

He has played 3 European tour events this season and finished 2nd, 2nd, 3rd.

He won one event in America and finished 5th in the Masters

If that's not close, I don't know what is

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

He does, but that doesn't hide the fact that 3 under for your last 36 holes is poor golf.

Do you have to pick posts out and disagree all the time?
    Pedantic.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

slave1 wrote: »
    Do you have to pick posts out and disagree all the time?
    Pedantic.

Its a message board, if you don't like it, dont read it.

If you consider 3 under for 36 holes a minute detail for a golfer who blew his lead, then perhaps you can enlighten us as to what facts you consider worthy of discussion?

Or do you just expect everyone to grab their pom-poms and join in the mindless cheering?

He has played 3 European tour events this season and finished 2nd, 2nd, 3rd.

He won one event in America and finished 5th in the Masters

If that's not close, I don't know what is

Why are you ignoring the THREE missed cuts, the 16th, 20th & 59th finishes?

Why are you ignoring the THREE missed cuts, the 16th, 20th & 59th finishes?

How am I ignoring them?

I never said he is consistent

I said he is close.

You said he isn't close, when clearly he has been very close to multiple victories this season, including the only major so far.

How am I ignoring them?

I never said he is consistent

I said he is close.

You said he isn't close, when clearly he has been very close to multiple victories this season, including the only major so far.

The post I replied to said "close to something special"

What do you define as "close"?
    Or even, what do you define as "special"?

I wouldn't consider 3 missed cuts (effectively 4 if you include the Honda) out of 11 special or close to anything.

The post I replied to said "close to something special"

What do you define as "close"?
    Or even, what do you define as "special"?

I wouldn't consider 3 missed cuts (effectively 4 if you include the Honda) out of 11 special or close to anything.

I would consider winning the Masters to complete the career Grand Slam special. He was undeniably close. He was in the final group and missed a short putt on the 2nd to share the lead. He missed and never really got going, but he was there or thereabouts all week.

He has been close to multiple wins this season. He should have won this week and he should have won in Dhubai.

And still nowhere near his best. Of all the top tier golfers in the world (let's for arguments sake say that includes Johnson, Spieth, Thomas, Rahm, Day and a select few others) he has imo the most room for improvement in his game.

Which makes him very frustrating to watch. His wedge game and short iron play are so inconsistent, as is his putting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Rory

Old head rolling around - hands on hips.

We all know what that normally means.

I'd say other pros love when Rory is at that - such a boost that he is gone.

Carbon copy of the masters where he played some poor and some scintillating golf to get him to the final group on Sunday.

The problem is this body language starts before he even hits a ball. He is the picture of fear with zero fire in this belly. He looked down in the dumps all week in his interviews even on the good days.

Standing over ten foot putts he must he thinking 'here we go again' rather than 'this is going in'. Nothing worse than self doubt on the golf course and he reeks of it right now when the pressure starts.

Some of his approach shots from 140-180 were shocking on Saturday and Sunday.

Come on Rory. You are the most naturally gifted golfer out there. Shake this sh1t off like Tay Tay and go out and bury them fools.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

If McIlroy or any other player we like shot 10 under over the weelend for a come from behind win, all the talk would be about how brolliant he was, not about how the 36 or 54 hole leader blew it.

I'm not disputing McIroy has his problems (or that he refuses to take help from his caddy) but -2 on Sunday is not a collapse and if someone shoots a great round, give them the crddit they deserve.

I would consider winning the Masters to complete the career Grand Slam special. He was undeniably close. He was in the final group and missed a short putt on the 2nd to share the lead. He missed and never really got going, but he was there or thereabouts all week.

He has been close to multiple wins this season. He should have won this week and he should have won in Dhubai.

And still nowhere near his best. Of all the top tier golfers in the world (let's for arguments sake say that includes Johnson, Spieth, Thomas, Rahm, Day and a select few others) he has imo the most room for improvement in his game.

Which makes him very frustrating to watch. His wedge game and short iron play are so inconsistent, as is his putting.

Completing the slam would certainly be special career wise, but I dont think it would make a season special on its own, at least not for someone like Rory.

I think people say "he is not near his best" when they see him score like he did on Thursday & Friday, but I think its unrealistic to expect that to be a level he can sustain. Only Tiger has done that.
    Rory's realistic A game is very good, but he rarely turns up with it.
    He is either A+ or C-.

I think what we saw yesterday is his average game, some great shots, but some terribly poor bread & butter shots.
    The stats will show he had lots of birdie putts, but they were in the 10% make range. You cant rely on that to score well.

Just look at how close Molinari was hitting them (and Noren and many others) It was the same when he went head to head with Zach Johnson recently, it was like a Pro am (in fact his Dad was showing him up at the Dunhill!)

Players at their best are pretty unbeatable, not just Rory.
    Justin Rose last night was unplayable, the best, recent example people at their best going head to head was Mickelson Vs Stenson at the Open.

I dont believe Rory at his best automatically out performs either them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

If he was as good as you guys think he is, he would have strolled to the win. Maybe it's because he's Irish/British, a lot of people think he is the best golfer out there, he could be, but he isn't.

Solid my backside, the spectators were asking for Kevlar and he was missing greens from 150yrds out. That's special alright. He won before the masters then blew it on the last day, again.

The fact is, he has the potential to be a great player, but he is not consistent enough to be one, he gets into positions to win, then blows it. Also, I don't know how many times over the years that I have heard players say, only the wins count, second means nothing to them.

If McIlroy or any other player we like shot 10 under over the weelend for a come from behind win, all the talk would be about how brolliant he was, not about how the 36 or 54 hole leader blew it.

I'm not disputing McIroy has his problems (or that he refuses to take help from his caddy) but -2 on Sunday is not a collapse and if someone shoots a great round, give them the crddit they deserve.

He had the worst final 36 hole score out of the top 15, I think it would be wrong to ignore that in a thread about McIlroy. The European Tour thread is where we should talk about how well Molinari played imo.

Wombatman wrote: »
    Carbon copy of the masters where he played some poor and some scintillating golf to get him to the final group on Sunday.

The problem is this body language starts before he even hits a ball. He is the picture of fear with zero fire in this belly. He looked down in the dumps all week in his interviews even on the good days.

Standing over ten foot putts he must he thinking 'here we go again' rather than 'this is going in'. Nothing worse than self doubt on the golf course and he reeks of it right now when the pressure starts.

Some of his approach shots from 140-180 were shocking on Saturday and Sunday.

In fairness I think his attitude was better this time, he didn't actually look
    like he wanted to be anywhere else, like he did in the Masters.
    Wombatman wrote: »
    Come on Rory. You are the most naturally gifted golfer out there.

This I don't agree with. On his day he is fantastic, but they all are!

Tiger on his day is/was the best in the world, no one could get near him, no matter how well they played.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

I could have said third.:cool:

:pac:

I would have thought that someone running the show in "The Grange" could muster more than 2 captains prize's?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

Wombatman;107118654
    Come on Rory. You are the most naturally gifted golfer out there.

This I don't agree with. On his day he is fantastic, but they all are!

Tiger on his day is/was the best in the world, no one could get near him, no matter how well they played.

Tiger wasn't playing?

ssbob wrote: »
    Tiger wasn't playing?

I don't believe I said he was?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

ssbob wrote: »
    Tiger wasn't playing?

I don't believe I said he was?
    The original reference was someone giving out about Rory being the best player in the field at the weekend.... which is surely true?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement