Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

ligerdub wrote: »
    There are possibly some similarities in how McIlroy lost sharpness in some aspects of his game.

He openly admitted last week that when he swings hard he has a two way miss because his top half outraces his bottom half.

That would seem to have a simple fix...dont swing so hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

zGHQb4O.gif?2

Wombatman wrote: »
    zGHQb4O.gif?2

Too late for that, you started all this mess! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 35 diegocosta99

I'm assuming we're all golfers here and I'm surprised there isn't more sympathy for Mcilroy.

It looks to me as if he's lost his confidence, his mojo, and it's gone to his hands. Anyone who has experienced this and most decent golfers have, knows how horrible it is.

It can come back though and hopefully it will for Mcilroy as at his best he is a joy to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

I'm assuming we're all golfers here and I'm surprised there isn't more sympathy for Mcilroy.

It looks to me as if he's lost his confidence, his mojo, and it's gone to his hands. Anyone who has experienced this and most decent golfers have, knows how horrible it is.

It can come back though and hopefully it will for Mcilroy as at his best he is a joy to watch.

I am agreed with you although he needed the Arnold Palmer win earlier this year. I still think even playing bad on the weekend - he still had a very good shot at winning last Sunday, there were a couple of lip outs that if they had dropped would have put the pressure back on Molinari.
    I thought it was very interesting to see him miss the Par 3 13th I believe with a 9 iron - and he missed it by a mile.

• Advertisement

By gone to his hands do you think it's just his putting?

I think you can't expect to hole putts or keep getting down in two from where he is leaving his approaches, assuming he hits the green!

Add in how short a shot he typically had for his approaches and the advert for me is clear. He needs to go do what DJ did a couple of years ago and work on his wedges and short irons, starting with not hitting them so bloody hard.

GreeBo wrote: »
    By gone to his hands do you think it's just his putting?

I think you can't expect to hole putts or keep getting down in two from where he is leaving his approaches, assuming he hits the green!

Add in how short a shot he typically had for his approaches and the advert for me is clear. He needs to go do what DJ did a couple of years ago and work on his wedges and short irons, starting with not hitting them so bloody hard.

I think it is most obvious in his putting, but the anxiety spreads to all aspects of the game. He just looks like a nervous golfer at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

For a time i thought he didn't care, but i think it is the opposite. I think he is desperate to get back to his best. And it is affecting him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Joe Dog

Really?

He's young,he's won 4 majors,he's worth over $400 million, he has a dream job,he has a good looking wife and you expect people to have some sympathy for him?

People just need to accept that McIlroy is probably a streaky player and won't ever do what people expected him to do at the beginning of his career i.e get close to Tiger and Jack.He'll win a few more majors loads more regular tour events and go down as one of the greats of the game just below the Tiger and Nicklaus level who are on their own at the top of the mountain.

Joe Dog wrote: »
    Really?

He's young,he's won 4 majors,he's worth over $400 million, he has a dream job,he has a good looking wife and you expect people to have some sympathy for him?

Only in a sporting sense.

I suppose I engage with sport on an emotional level. <Mod snip>

• Advertisement

backspin. wrote: »
    For a time i thought he didn't care, but i think it is the opposite. I think he is desperate to get back to his best. And it is affecting him.
    Yeah when Paul Kimmage did that interview with him and Harrington, I was surprised by how interested in golf the guy is. So quite possibly he is just trying too hard.
    I am sure he will win a couple of more times this year - as he is very close... he could have won in Dubai, The Masters, this week just gone. If he keeps getting into position he will get over the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

Not going great today. Then went birdie at 13th and double bogey on 14th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

backspin. wrote: »
    Not going great today. Then went birdie at 13th and double bogey on 14th.

Solid first round, +2, T78, definitely looks like he is gearing up for something special. Lot of willy nilly driving and poor putting though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

He was in the featured group on the Golf Channel yesterday so saw virtually all his round, three balls into water and they were not tricky shots (at least two of them were off the tee laying into position with an iron) is just horrendous and he missed greens from fairways by a shocking margin.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

slave1 wrote: »
    He was in the featured group on the Golf Channel yesterday so saw virtually all his round, three balls into water and they were not tricky shots (at least two of them were off the tee laying into position with an iron) is just horrendous and he missed greens from fairways by a shocking margin.
    I know he flies private jet and all that craic but surely playing in Wentworth last week and playing in Dublin Ohio this week  - there has to be a jet lag effect - I'd be surprised if he didn't shoot -4/-5 today and comfortably make the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

ssbob wrote: »
    I know he flies private jet and all that craic but surely playing in Wentworth last week and playing in Dublin Ohio this week  - there has to be a jet lag effect - I'd be surprised if he didn't shoot -4/-5 today and comfortably make the weekend.

Not only the greatest player in the field at Wentworth last week but also probably the best pilot :D

kiers47 wrote: »
    Not only the greatest player in the field at Wentworth last week but also probably the best pilot :D

000_9B65H-e1459705785373.jpg

ssbob wrote: »

Unless they live locally, many of the players travel long distances and cross time zones to tournaments, even the ones based in the US. I've never heard a player give travel as the reason for playing badly, because they travel every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭benny79

davo10 wrote: »
    Unless they live locally, many of the players travel long distances and cross time zones to tournaments, even the ones based in the US. I've never heard a player give travel as the reason for playing badly, because they travel every week.

Exactly. Players do have bad rounds from time to time they are human. Some of them anyway ..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,987 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Just gone birdie birdie, hopefully he can keep it going.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,358 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Just gone birdie birdie, hopefully he can keep it going.

got to -4 for his round at one point

then bogeyed 2 par 5's

• Registered Users Posts: 20,358 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Sitting on the cutline at even with 1 hole to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

5 under thru 7 today.... hopefully keeps it going.

Nice to see him hit good wedges like this for a change. Also... just hit it to 1 foot on the par 3 12th hole so will be 7 under thru 12

https://twitter.com/PGATOUR/status/1002921541309378562

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Standard Rory in fairness, blaze it up when coming from the cutline! You could almost script it!

3 birdies in a row now after rolling in a 25 footer. 8 under thru 13.

Standard Rory in fairness, blaze it up when coming from the cutline! You could almost script it!

Agree although if he keeps this pace up, he could well play himself back into the tournament.

Yip, awful, good, brilliant, good = never in contention.

The awful is well under way, +10 through 12.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Was following the scores while at work. While it’s clearly ridiculously tough out there, that score is just shocking from Rory.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement