Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Every player likes to win their home championship.

True

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

Your right he won it in 2016 and also in his spare time saved it from extinction!!

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Blud

He just doesn't appear to work hard enough st his game to me, doesn't seem to like the graft of practice. Repetitive practice isn't fun, and again this week he was at pains to talk about fun golf in the lead up to a major. His heart just doesn't seem in it, not professional enough in his approach.

Which is a pain really, it's ultimately unfulfilled potential with Rory which is just really sad. He could be so much more, but he's know in a position where yesterday his driving struggled to find fairways and he had nothing left in the locker.

I just hope he cops on before it's too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭benny79

Good to see the Rory bashing is alive again...

1 bad round does not define a player! Yes I would agree he drops the head to easily and seems to have no grit or fight like Tiger that man never gives up even in the lesser tournaments.

But he has the most majors in the last 8 years.. He came close in Augusta dont forget.. not so long ago.. Should of won it imo. I think the occasion (grandslam) got to him, but he's getting closer every year.

He also has the most world ranking points of any player this year.

And I still think he will win a Major this year..

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

Nah, he was a prodigy so he's middle aged alright. Seve won his last major at 31, Woods at 32.

Nicklaus won his last 46. Tom Watson almost won The Open at 59! I wouldn't really rank Rory as middle aged in golf terms.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Cop on and read the charter before posting again.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

Blud wrote: »
    He just doesn't appear to work hard enough st his game to me, doesn't seem to like the graft of practice. Repetitive practice isn't fun, and again this week he was at pains to talk about fun golf in the lead up to a major. His heart just doesn't seem in it, not professional enough in his approach.

Which is a pain really, it's ultimately unfulfilled potential with Rory which is just really sad. He could be so much more, but he's know in a position where yesterday his driving struggled to find fairways and he had nothing left in the locker.

I just hope he cops on before it's too late.

I think it's fun golf he needs to get back to and let his natural ability take over rather than being a robot that follows a process. I wouldn't say he didn't put effort in for this major, he apparently was on course 18 of the last 19 days before the major started and on his day off he walked the course with a wedge and putter in hand.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/golf/rory-mcilroy-feels-right-at-home-at-us-open-as-chief-warns-tournament-is-a-borderline-disaster-37007607.html

a good few people here saying very strange stuff about Rory

I get as frustrated as anyone with his sometimes lack of interest

but this idea is nuts that he is finished when it comes to majors.

I can still see Rory win every major he enters

he could have a 90 today and I'd still fancy him at the Open next month.

A guy of his talent could just try for a month and solve all issues (as in full real blood on hands try).

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

loads of them don't win 4 majors - and Rory will probably get to 10 +

He isn't into dominating the game. He wants to be more rounded.

I know a strange thing - but he has said it and I sadly believe him now.

But loads don't win 4 majors - name them in the last 10 years.

That's still not dominating.
    Come back to us when he has ten in ten years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

GreeBo wrote: »

Only 3 people in the history of the game have won ten or more majors and one of them won his last major in 1929. You might be setting the bar too high there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

a good few people here saying very strange stuff about Rory

I get as frustrated as anyone with his sometimes lack of interest

but this idea is nuts that he is finished when it comes to majors.

he could have a 90 today and I'd still fancy him at the Open next month.

A guy of his talent could just try for a month and solve all issues (as in full real blood on hands try).

I'd have agreed with you a few years ago, but the reality is the guy can't putt, he can't hit a wedge with any consistency, i'd be better and i play off 12,
    that's just on physical golf alone, on the mental side he's even worse.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Checkmate19

Rory i think will defo win more majors. The problem is the talent in golf is getting deeper. Ok there are still guys who stand out but on their day anyone inside the top hundred can step up and win a major. Nobody is really dominating. I think Rory is very streaky and will lap the field when he's hot. His problem is like yesterday he can't normally turn a bad round into a round where he's still in it. Also his putting is still not good enough. I think also he needs to find a proper caddie. Someone who is more forceful and has input. The guy on the bag is only a yes man at the moment. Good caddies are worth their weight in gold at times. Prime example speith in the open last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

ThunderCat wrote:
    Only 3 people in the history of the game have won ten or more majors and one of them won his last major in 1929. You might be setting the bar too high there.

Rory was and still is in some quarters billed as the next Tiger. So realistically it's not setting the bar too high.

You can't just throw around the word dominate. He either has or will in the truest sense of the word or he is just like any of the other guys Day/spieth/DJ.

12/18 months where they looked untouchable until another top 10 guy clicks and has his run.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Hmmm show us your betting slip and we might actually believe you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

Rory was and still is in some quarters billed as the next Tiger. So realistically it's not setting the bar too high.

You can't just throw around the word dominate. He either has or will in the truest sense of the word or he is just like any of the other guys Day/spieth/DJ.

12/18 months where they looked untouchable until another top 10 guy clicks and has his run.

If comparing him to the greatest golfer of all time is not setting the bar too high then we need a new bar.

I don't agree with him but what in the name of God does betting have to do with his opinion?

This is the golf forum last time I checked. People are allowed to have an opinion without betting on it surely?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

This is not the gambling forum. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

Can't see him winning at Carnoustie this year, not his conditions at all.

I think Rory will win another major when he gets his ideal weather - long, soft course and greens but 10 majors? don't think he'll get close.

Rory won't win ten majors. Be lucky to get three more.

Sure you were gone for near that yourself.

No GreeBo - me and you will be long gone from here by then.

• Advertisement

Rory won't win ten majors. Be lucky to get three more.

That will get him to 7.

How can someone say someone is good enough for 7 and not 10.

Yuu can win 3 in 18 months or so at times.

He needs to hit form twice more in career - it will happen.

Can't see him winning at Carnoustie this year, not his conditions at all.

I think Rory will win another major when he gets his ideal weather - long, soft course and greens but 10 majors? don't think he'll get close.

:confused:

http://abc13.com/sports/rory-mcilroy-wins-british-open-for-3rd-major/203107/

Hit form yes. However to many guys out there who can win. To things he needs to putt better and also needs a new caddie. Yesterday his caddie was as useful as a chocolate teapot. Unless he doesn't want a daddy to question him.

To the 12 handicapper that putts and has better wedges than Rory. Is it just Rory you are better than or any of the other 48 that are ahead of him in SG approaching the green or the 54 who are better than him at putting this year?

Hit form yes. However to many guys out there who can win. To things he needs to putt better and also needs a new caddie. Yesterday his caddie was as useful as a chocolate teapot. Unless he doesn't want a daddy to question him.

This is the problem he needs to have a caddie who will know when to step in and tell him what he doesn't want to hear but needs to hear. IMO when rory is on form he is nearly impossible to stop. Saying that there are more golfers capable of catching him now than 4/5 yrs ago but still if he gets going he can run away quickly but the opposite can be said too that when he starts to unravel it goes quickly.

I'd like to see him go back to how he putted a few years when it just looked more natural got a read and hit it. Now he's probably just over thinking every putt and if something isn't working he switches putters or tries a new technique

AnneFrank wrote: »
    I'd have agreed with you a few years ago, but the reality is the guy can't putt, he can't hit a wedge with any consistency, i'd be better and i play off 12,

:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

ThunderCat wrote: »

Dominating was the bar and I didn't set it.

He is nowhere near dominating anything.

Rose, Johnson setc are streets ahead of him...streets!

He is like bubba for the last few years, he might go on a run and win something but from one hole to the next you have no idea what you will get, nevermind day to day or week to week.

If he was near dominating he would be fighting for #1, he isn't.

Dominating was the bar and I didn't set it.

He is nowhere near dominating anything.

Rose, Johnson setc are streets ahead of him...streets!

He is like bubba for the last few years, he might go on a run and win something but from one hole to the next you have no idea what you will get, nevermind day to day or week to week.

Only 3 players have spent a longer time at number one than Rory since the modern rankings have been introduced in 1986.

I don't necessarily agree with the dominating statement by others.

While he is nowhere near dominating as you say. Rose has never even spent 1 week at number 1 so I'm not sure where your going with that. Rory has also won a lot more recently than Rose.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,390 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

AnneFrank wrote: »

No offence, but if you believe that you're delusional.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 diegocosta99

Had he won this week, depending on how others fared, he could have regained no. 1.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement