Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Missed 7 birdie putts within 10 feet today according to the Off The Ball commontary. I'm guessing "amateur" is the missing word from the post above.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

I've always maintained that he is not a world class golfer and once again I am proved correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,987 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Risteard81 wrote: »
    I've always maintained that he is not a world class golfer and once again I am proved correct.

Well done

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Pa8301

If he isn't, who is?

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭stevensi

Tee to green I don't think there is anyone better than him however on the green he's far from world class. It must drive him crazy!

• Advertisement

Pa8301 wrote: »
    If he isn't, who is?

I think to reach a top 10 ranking, you have to be "world class", but if he keeps putting like an 18 handicapper, he won't be in that class for too much longer. He is peerless tee to green, but that counts for s**t unless he starts getting feathers. Imagine if Messi did everything he is able to do, but couldn't score a goal to save his life.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Yeah, but that's nothing to do with his golf. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Yeah, but that's nothing to do with his golf. :rolleyes:

He's also a terrible person.

Glad we got that sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

Yeah he fluked those four majors he won :rolleyes:.

He was a reasonable putter when he was younger because he was more aggressive and because he is better than nearly everyone tee to green he was able to win. His problem now is that in trying to improve his putting he has made it worse and that's the reason why he is not as good anymore. He should go back to what he was doing when he was younger and just accept that his putting will at best only be passable/streaky. All the brad faxon/pete kenyon/changing to left hand low messing is making him worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

I don’t think the inspiration to win non majors is there for him. And even with the majors he says the masters is the one. He’s won a fed ex , Irish open Ryder cups etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭one man clappin

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    I don’t think the inspiration to win non majors is there for him. And even with the majors he says the masters is the one. He’s won a fed ex , Irish open Ryder cups etc..
    An I think this is what seperates good golfers from great golfers. I think Rory has won a lot for his age and now sees the Masters as the "holy grail". To me a great golfer has the hunger to try and win every tournament he enters (not going to win them all).
    I dont think Rory has this hunger at the moment and hopefully he will regain it or else it will be a case of what if for him in years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Ok I'm bored so I'm going to bite. Please explain why the winner of four majors, a former world number one and the winner of the order of merit both sides of the Atlantic is not a world class golfer.

Ok I'm bored so I'm going to bite. Please explain why the winner of four majors, a former world number one and the winner of the order of merit both sides of the Atlantic is not a world class golfer.

Because, y'know...

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

What a load of tripe, of course he is a world class golfer. You may have a personal dislike of the chap, and I wouldn't be his greatest fan, but have you ever played? Its a very difficult game, even to be top 100 in the world is world class. He does get himself in a heap a lot, and plays lots of silly shots sometimes, but he is certainty world class.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

What a load of tripe, of course he is a world class golfer. You may have a personal dislike of the chap, and I wouldn't be his greatest fan, but have you ever played? Its a very difficult game, even to be top 100 in the world is world class. He does get himself in a heap a lot, and plays lots of silly shots sometimes, but he is certainty world class.

Just for a look, I googled the world number 100, it changes week to week, but now its Stewart Cink, solid pro, who won the open in 2009, the time Tom Watson should have won. I think Cink said he wasn't even supporting himself in the playoff. :)

He is a world class ball striker/player, no doubt, but he most certainly is not a world class putter nor competitor, he is not able to grind out a score and stay in contention when playing badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Define "world class golfer"?

If McIlroy is one, so are hundreds of others.

GreeBo wrote: »

Nineteen golfers in the history of the game have won more majors than him. Your comment is laughable given that fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Nineteen golfers in the history of the game have won more majors than him. Your comment is laughable given that fact.

8th in the world rankings. World Class must be a very exclusive category.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Pa8301

If he isn't, who is?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,987 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Haha don't bite fellas.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Pa8301 wrote: »
    If he isn't, who is?

I didn't say he wasn't, I just asked the OP to define what "World Class" means.

Was Monty not World Class? How about Luke Donald?

If its only players with 4 majors then its a pretty small field, also pretty harsh on plenty of other golfers, hence the question.

Even if it is (say) 4 majors, does that mean you are world class for all time? In which case it loses further meaning as a measure of someone.

(With sincere apologies to those who seem to lose their sh1t when a simple question is asked about their hero.:cool:)

So only winning Majors makes someone world class?

I think Monty, Donald, Westwood, Fowler, Garcia up until last year and many other golfers would do more than laugh at your comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,358 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I think Monty, Donald, Westwood, Fowler, Garcia up until last year and many other golfers would do more than laugh at your comment.

5 absolutely world class golfers there.

If McIlroy is world class so are hundreds of others.
    Your words. You are the poster who put "hundreds" of golfers at the same level as McIlroy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Lets keep this civil lads, this thread is about McIlroy and not to be used to get digs in at other users. Thanks

Your words. You are the poster who put "hundreds" of golfers at the same level as McIlroy.

Ok....Im not sure what point you are making?
    Are you asking me a question?:confused:

I asked you do you consider "winning 4 majors" to be the requirement for the "world class" label?
    I'm still waiting for an answer on what "world class" actually means?

There are hundreds of golfers who are better putters and wedge players than McIlroy (for example)
    So is he a "world class" driver but not a "world class" putter?
    Can you be "world class" if you are not "world class" at all aspects of the game?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Ok....Im not sure what point you are making?
    Are you asking me a question?:confused:

I asked you do you consider "winning 4 majors" to be the requirement for the "world class" label?
    I'm still waiting for an answer on what "world class" actually means?

There are hundreds of golfers who are better putters and wedge players than McIlroy (for example)
    So is he a "world class" driver but not a "world class" putter?
    Can you be "world class" if you are not "world class" at all aspects of the game?

I assume you are just acting the mick posting this sort of nonsense.

• Advertisement

First Up wrote: »
    I assume you are just acting the mick posting this sort of nonsense.

I assume you also can't define "World Class"?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement