Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

This thread seems to go quiet when he's playing well. :D

Four under now after a brdie on the 10th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

prawnsambo wrote: »

Think that's because it is probably being discussed in the Open thread.. which is probably better rather than having separate conversations in different threads for each Irish player.

Hopefully the softer conditions will benefit him today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Imagine how well he would be doing if he was to follow the advice of all the experts on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Imagine how well he would be doing if he was to follow the advice of all the experts on this thread.

OK, I'll bite.
    What advice do you refer to?

And if him being -4 at the moment somehow proves you right, does him ultimately not winning therefore prove you wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,983 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

• Advertisement

GreeBo wrote: »
    OK, I'll bite.
    What advice do you refer to?

And if him being -4 at the moment somehow proves you right, does him ultimately not winning therefore prove you wrong?
    I'd say the way he's playing is more important than the score. There have been some absolutely stunninig shots in his round today and he's given himself a decent number of birdie chances. Shots out of bunkers, the rough and around the green. Great stuff to watch.

I'd say the way he's playing is more important than the score. There have been some absolutely stunninig shots in his round today and he's given himself a decent number of birdie chances. Shots out of bunkers, the rough and around the green. Great stuff to watch.

He was doing that at the Irish though, just couldnt hole a putt.

He was doing that at the Irish though, just couldnt hole a putt.
    But that was where his game was really suffering over the last few years. Just too far from the pin to really hunt birdies and now it's just the putts that need to drop more often. Some good putts today and no bad misses.

But that was where his game was really suffering over the last few years. Just too far from the pin to really hunt birdies and now it's just the putts that need to drop more often. Some good putts today and no bad misses.

Dont get me wrong, its great to see him have realistic chances for birdies again!

Dont get me wrong, its great to see him have realistic chances for birdies again!
    Yeah. But to be honest, I love watching him hit those shots that the commentators deem impossible. :)

• Advertisement

Yeah. But to be hinest, I love watching him hit those shots that the commentators deem impossible. :)

"The Seve Effect" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭big_drive

Great position going into weekend. Hopefully tomorrow goes well too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Yeah. But to be honest, I love watching him hit those shots that the commentators deem impossible. :)

His overall play has rarely been the issue, his driving, long and mid irons are usually exceptional and often breathtaking to watch. But the wedges/putting and lapses in concentration mean that he hasn't won nearly as often as his talent deserves. He has said as much himself. Too often he is in great positions after 2-3 days and then falls apart in the final round, or fluffs the first two rounds and can't make up the ground on the leaders at the weekend. He is right up there now, hopefully he will continue and win, but equally, he could be down the field at the end if the wand doesn't work. I heard a good word to describe him, mercurial, when he is in the zone he is magical, but when he is awful, he is awful, that is why he hasn't won a major in 4 years, to many awful rounds, not enough consistency.

davo10 wrote: »
    His overall play has rarely been the issue, his driving, long and mid irons are usually exceptional and often breathtaking to watch. But the wedges/putting and lapses in concentration mean that he hasn't won nearly as often as his talent deserves. He has said as much himself. Too often he is in great positions after 2-3 days and then falls apart in the final round, or fluffs the first two rounds and can't make up the ground on the leaders at the weekend. He is right up there now, hopefully he will continue and win, but equally, he could be down the field at the end if the wand doesn't work. I heard a good word to describe him, mercurial, when he is in the zone he is magical, but when he is awful, he is awful, that is why he hasn't won a major in 4 years, to many awful rounds, not enough consistency.
    That's the bit I think he's really getting to grips with. He's played some absolutely brilliant approach shots in the last couple of days. And the short ones have been just spotless. The putting has improved, but imo he needs to be dropping a few more. That'll be the difference between another 69 and a 65.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭blackcard

Rory is far and away the best player that has been produced from these islands. His wedges and putting have let him down. But the biggest thing that has let him down is his attitude. The number of occasions on which his shoulders slump is the difference between him and the likes of Tiger and Speight.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭thewobbler

So much harshness on this thread.

History has seen two absolutely dominant golfers.

The only option everyone had when Nicklaus was carrying all before him, was to get immeasurably better; to achieve his standards.

The same thing has happened in the post-Tiger era. There are now so many golfers of an exceptional standard that expecting one of them, even if he’s the most talented one, to dominate a la Tiger is fundamentally insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I don't buy that. There were fantastic golfers around when Tiger dominated. Same as when Nicklaus was around.

Often the great ball strikers lack in the putting department or vice versa. Or they're not driven enough. Or something. And the great putters are short drivers or weakish ball strikers (by tour standards).
    But every now and then someone comes along who has the full package. Balls striking, short game, putting, work ethic, the mental aspect. Not the best in all of it, but up there with the best in all aspects and the outright best in one or two of them. Thats how Tiger and Nicklaus did it.

Rory is the best ball striker and has an awesome swing thats why people think he should dominate. And when he doesn't they say ah its because the field is so much deeper these days. I'd say he doesnt dominate because while he has the swing and the ball striking he does not have the full package.

Thats not talking him down, he's brilliant. But it takes a lot to be one of those special guys.

thewobbler wrote: »
    So much harshness on this thread.

History has seen two absolutely dominant golfers.

The only option everyone had when Nicklaus was carrying all before him, was to get immeasurably better; to achieve his standards.

The same thing has happened in the post-Tiger era. There are now so many golfers of an exceptional standard that expecting one of them, even if he’s the most talented one, to dominate a la Tiger is fundamentally insane.

Sorry now but there is a huge gap between dominating and what Rory is doing.

The way you are talking you would swear he is out there playing great golf and is just getting beaten by the someone having "their" week.

You cant even begin to think about dominating if your avg proximity is 25 feet from 100 yards or you take 30+ putts per round.

This whole "most talented" thing doesnt sit well with me either.
    If you are the most talented then go out there and show us you are. There could be a kid in Jamaica thats the most naturally gifted golfer in the world, he just doesnt play golf. Thats sod all use to him or any of us. Talent is a starting point and they dont give out prizes for talent any more than they do for the best 3 out of 4 rounds.

Unfortunately a more accurate label for him might be "most talented, but".

Sorry now but there is a huge gap between dominating and what Rory is doing.

The way you are talking you would swear he is out there playing great golf and is just getting beaten by the someone having "their" week.

You cant even begin to think about dominating if your avg proximity is 25 feet from 100 yards or you take 30+ putts per round.

This whole "most talented" thing doesnt sit well with me either.
    If you are the most talented then go out there and show us you are. There could be a kid in Jamaica thats the most naturally gifted golfer in the world, he just doesnt play golf. Thats sod all use to him or any of us. Talent is a starting point and they dont give out prizes for talent any more than they do for the best 3 out of 4 rounds.

Unfortunately a more accurate label for him might be "most talented, but".
    I don't know if you saw his rround yesterday, but his average proximity to the hole wasn't 25 feet from anywhere. Like on the 6th, he missed the fairway by a lot and was within 20 feet from the rough while his playing partners both missed the green from the fairway. His average putts over the two days was 30 which is still not great, but all his misses were extremely close and his distance control was pretty damn perfect. Like a lot of the guys who went out early yesterday, the pace of the greens caught him out at first and the putts were coming up a smidgin short. But the big issue in his game imo was gone. Distance control from his approach shots was vey good where it's been poor in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,983 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

davo10 wrote: »
    Too often he is in great positions after 2-3 days and then falls apart in the final round, or fluffs the first two rounds and can't make up the ground on the leaders at the weekend. He is right up there now, hopefully he will continue and win, but equally, he could be down the field at the end if the wand doesn't work

This could be said about any player though. DJ went bogey then double on the last 2 to miss the cut, JT followed up a 69 with 77 which included 3 doubles in a row. Rahm followed up a 69 with a 78. But when Rory 3 putts from 10 feet or takes on the wrong shot its a brain fart or lack of concentration or the caddys fault.

Just because Rory is Irish and has a fantastic swing doesn't mean he's immune to mistakes. Yes he's got serious talent but so have a lot of these guys. Rory definitely gets far more criticism for poor play than every other golfer.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I've said on the thread a few times - that no matter what form Rory is in , I'd always have him in mind to win a major. 
    Some people on the thread are going on as if he is Darren Clarke or something. It is strange stuff for a golf forum when we know golf form is so erratic. 
    Hope he picks this up - and this other thing that links golf doesn't suit Rory is even more bizarre. Not sure where that came from - he could probably use an iron around here and use run and have as high a GIR 
    Come on Rory !

I don't know if you saw his rround yesterday, but his average proximity to the hole wasn't 25 feet from anywhere. Like on the 6th, he missed the fairway by a lot and was within 20 feet from the rough while his playing partners both missed the green from the fairway. His average putts over the two days was 30 which is still not great, but all his misses were extremely close and his distance control was pretty damn perfect. Like a lot of the guys who went out early yesterday, the pace of the greens caught him out at first and the putts were coming up a smidgin short. But the big issue in his game imo was gone. Distance control from his approach shots was vey good where it's been poor in the past.
    Yep I saw most of it and he played really well.

I was -4 gross the last time I played 18 holes...I'm still off 5 though. Because 1 good score (or even 2) doesnt win you anything.

Hitting a golf ball well is a skill.
    Shooting 4 low scores is playing golf well.

There is no doubt that Rory can do the first part very well, but thats not playing golf. Hence why the long drive guys have their own tour where you win if you hit it straight and long. But its not golf.

Dont get me wrong, he has played well the last 2 days, but he has never dominated the game like others have. Or even come close to it tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,452 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

big_drive wrote: »
    Great position going into weekend.

Two 69s, good couple of days...

I've said on the thread a few times - that no matter what form Rory is in , I'd always have him in mind to win a major. 
    Some people on the thread are going on as if he is Darren Clarke or something. It is strange stuff for a golf forum when we know golf form is so erratic. 
    Hope he picks this up - and this other thing that links golf doesn't suit Rory is even more bizarre. Not sure where that came from - he could probably use an iron around here and use run and have as high a GIR 
    Come on Rory !

We all know golf is erratic but for some reason Rory gets a pass on here because "he is so naturally talented".
    Most of them are naturally talented, thats why you are watching them on the telly every week.

But even amongst this group of current Pros there are levels, and Rory is in the upper level for sure. But he isnt this all conquering player that just has to play ok and he wins as some here would seem to imply.

But there are many of them who have a great chance of winning any major they are playing in, and lots of them I'd put above Rory. Some of them didnt make the cut, but thats just golf.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

We all know golf is erratic but for some reason Rory gets a pass on here because "he is so naturally talented".
    Most of them are naturally talented, thats why you are watching them on the telly every week.

But even amongst this group of current Pros there are levels, and Rory is in the upper level for sure. But he isnt this all conquering player that just has to play ok and he wins as some here would seem to imply.

But there are many of them who have a great chance of winning any major they are playing in, and lots of them I'd put above Rory. Some of them didnt make the cut, but thats just golf.

Let’s just say they are all on their game, driving putting etc who beats Rory in your most humble opinion. This is a straight answer and no ifs and buts. Go.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

But even amongst this group of current Pros there are levels, and Rory is in the upper level for sure. But he isnt this all conquering player.

But he is an all conquering player ?

What has he not conquered?

Masters ? , he will win that too.

Keano wrote: »
    Let’s just say they are all on their game, driving putting etc who beats Rory in your most humble opinion. This is a straight answer and no ifs and buts. Go.

"my most humble opinion"? :rolleyes:

It's a stupid question not based in reality so has no meaningful answer. How do you determine what "on their game means"?

Its a three way tie between Ryo Ishikawa, Jum Furyk and Stephan Jäger as they have all shot a 58, so on their game, they shoot 4 58s and beat second place by 4.
    :cool:

But he is an all conquering player ?

What has he not conquered?

Masters ? , he will win that too.

So he is "all conquering" other than the 25% of the majors he hasn't won? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭OEP

Come on Rory !

I'm sorry but you've talked a lot of nonsense in your last few posts. I don't think anyone has been saying Rory is all conquering. Tiger in his prime is the only one that might have a chance at that, and even then I don't think he would be as dominant as he was because the talent is much deeper now.

Rory hasn't played well for a few years now but he still wins the odd time and is consistently there or there abouts in the majors, barring the US open. No player has dominated for more than 12 to 18 months since Tiger. The only players to win more than 1 major in the last few years are Spieth, Koepka, Bubba and Phil. Spieth is one those generational players, like Rory, and Phil is a great. How are these players, overall, much better than Rory when only their recent record is better. Form comes and gos in golf, and at the moment Rory is struggling with aspects of his game.

You say you'd have many more players above him to win the majors, but then absolute contradict yourself by saying they've missed the cut and the reason is golf is erratic. Yet, that same reasoning doesn't apply to Rory. You can of course have your own opinion but it's not based on solid foundations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Hope he picks this up - and this other thing that links golf doesn't suit Rory is even more bizarre. Not sure where that came from - he could probably use an iron around here and use run and have as high a GIR Come on Rory !

This has been discussed on here before. McIlroy has said himself his style of playing doesn't suit playing in conditions typical of what you'd expect at an Open Championship. He has one of the highest ball flights of any of the top players, that isn't going to succeed in windy conditions.

There are exceptions of course, but he generally hasn't done too well in the wind compared to others. Most of his big wins have come in warm weather, possibly soft conditions too.

The one Open he won was in 2014 when the weather was tremendous until Saturday morning, when it had a very sudden, very quick, and very heavy bout of rain. It was done and dusted in about an hour then it turned out to be a very benign day. It softened the course up a lot by the time he started and he shot something like 66 or 65.

He's also virtually guaranteed to perform well in the Dubai swing every year, booming drives in the desert sunshine.

The weather has been very calm this week again.....and there he is, near the top of the leaderboard.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement