Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Keano wrote: »
    It does happen to them all. Rory just gets the blunt of it on here.

That's fair enough point, and I accept it. But I really believe the lack of a good professional caddy is a massive issue. Other players have been talking in "we" and "us" terms in relation to the player and caddy. He doesn't, or pretty sure he doesn't. The best players need top professional caddies.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Russman wrote: »
    I don’t think it needed to be perfect, just online. Plus he was probably still thick after a very poor bogey on the par 3 and wanted to try get himself back in the tournament by making birdie on 18. Fair enough it didn’t work and he’s playing for nothing today, but hey, win some, lose some.

Fair enough but I think the point still stands, its not really playing safe if you *have* to hit it straight to avoid the danger.

Arguably he'd have been better off just hitting the driver and guaranteeing he carries the bunker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

2 shots dropped already, sinking fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I get the impression McIlroy may have checked out a little mentally yesterday. I think he felt that, given the forecast conditions for today, he'd have to be either on top or at least level with the leaders to have any realistic chance and that led to him forcing it a little bit too much. Could have gone and shot low, instead I think it cost him a shot or maybe two. He kind of admitted as much himself anyway and the frustration was pretty visible in his post round interviews. I think his temperament might be a little bit of an issue for him. I dont mean its bad in any way, just not sure its best suited to this type of golf. He's a risk-reward type of golfer and I think you may have to rein it in a bit more to be consistently successful on links courses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

Toys out of the pram again, commentators questioning why he can't hit a low soft wedge, same old story, same old Rory,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

AnneFrank wrote: »
    Toys out of the pram again, commentators questioning why he can't hit a low soft wedge, same old story, same old Rory,
    You're like a hyena. Any time he looks a bt dead, you're in after the carcase. :D

He's only three back from the lead now.

Nice drive.

GreeBo wrote: »
    Nice drive.

And follows it up with another bird.

Certainly in with a chance now, I think -8/9 wins this so he needs to push hard, which may backfire.

Another beast of a drive though!

GreeBo wrote: »
    And follows it up with another bird.

Certainly in with a chance now, I think -8/9 wins this so he needs to push hard, which may backfire.

Another beast of a drive though!
    Well he's not going to go out like a damp squib. Great fight back.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Terrible 3 putt but the second shot was the issue. Is going to need at least 3 birdies to have any chance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

It's crazy how poor McIlroy has become within 150 yards of the pin. Dropping shots with a wedge in your hand for second into a par 4 is criminal for a professional.

It's crazy how poor McIlroy has become within 150 yards of the pin. Dropping shots with a wedge in your hand for second into a par 4 is criminal for a professional.
    Well if he putts like that! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

AnneFrank wrote: »

Thoughts now?? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

18th top 10 finish for Rory at Major championships. Only 29, pretty good going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

18th top 10 finish for Rory at Major championships. Only 29, pretty good going.

Considering his petulance and lack of interest when not winning, its very impressive :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭applehunter

Drove the ball beautifully.

Wedge game needs some work.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,482 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Drove the ball beautifully.

Wedge game needs some work.
    3 putts killed him.would be in a play off bar the 3 putts.

Pogue eile wrote: »
    Thoughts now?? :rolleyes:

Had he not missed a couple of shortish putts and dropped a couple of shots, he would have won. In otherwards, the usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭big_drive

Mcilroy nowhere near his best or sharp and still a runner up finish. Impressive stuff considering that he wasn’t at his best

• Registered Users Posts: 17,981 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

irishgeo wrote: »
    3 putts killed him.would be in a play off bar the 3 putts.

I'm sure plenty of golfers could say that.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,376 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

davo10 wrote: »
    Had he not missed a couple of shortish putts and dropped a couple of shots, he would have won. In otherwards, the usual.

Sure if he didn't drop a shot ever he'd probably win every week :rolleyes:

fullstop wrote: »
    Sure if he didn't drop a shot ever he'd probably win every week :rolleyes:

He'd be at least level par each round. It's not the putts he misses, it's the easy putts he misses. A stat I posted a couple of weeks ago, he is number 146 on PGA tour for putts of 10 feet or less. Missing short putts saps confidence.

He said it himself, it happens to often and as a result he hasn't won as much as he should.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,655 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

As I’ve said before on this thread before he will win a major again

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    I'm sure plenty of golfers could say that.

Sure they do, but (hopefully Keano won't give another warning for this) this thread is about McIllroy. He has a talent for missing short putts when it matters. If you watch the discussion afterwards, the panel pointed out that average wedge play and missing important putts that he would be expected to hole, cost him yet again.

The eagle putt was brilliant, but the percentage for that putt is very low, on the other hand, the percentage for wedges and putts inside 10 feet is very high for top players.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

He does indeed miss too many short ones but this week he kept plugging away. More of that would be nice to see.

He does indeed miss too many short ones but this week he kept plugging away. More of that would be nice to see.

Did you see the interviews with him and woods after? Woods looked like he was fit to kill, the frustration and disappointment with not winning. McIllroy on the other had was happy with how he played. If ever the gulf in competitiveness and determination was more obvious, I don't know when it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,376 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Yet it McIlroy looked like he was fit to kill you'd get the "toys out of the pram" drivel. Can't win.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Anyone see letter to Sat Indo re the amount of coverage Rory gets in its newspaper?

davo10 wrote: »
    Did you see the interviews with him and woods after? Woods looked like he was fit to kill, the frustration and disappointment with not winning. McIllroy on the other had was happy with how he played. If ever the gulf in competitiveness and determination was more obvious, I don't know when it was.

Of course Rory was happy. He was never leading but had a half a chance of the win. Woods was on top and let it slip so not surprised he was annoyed.

• Advertisement

Of course Rory was happy. He was never leading but had a half a chance of the win. Woods was on top and let it slip so not surprised he was annoyed.

Oh right, I that must be it, he was happy because he was never leading and didn't win. Congratulations Rory.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement