Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Keano wrote: »
    Of course Rory was happy. He was never leading but had a half a chance of the win. Woods was on top and let it slip so not surprised he was annoyed.
    He also had four rounds under par in wildly differing conditions and no disastrous rounds which is very rare with him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

prawnsambo wrote: »
    He also had four rounds under par in wildly differing conditions and no disastrous rounds which is very rare with him.

Weren't the conditions the most benign for an Open in years? Mostly sun shining & dry, little wind, greens not too fast, rough relatively easy to play out of, hard fairways that meant they were playing wedges where they normally played 8's? Did I miss the wind blowing a gale or heavy downpours or lightning greens or long rough?

davo10 wrote: »
    Weren't the conditions the most benign for an Open in years? Mostly sun shining & dry, little wind, greens not too fast, rough relatively easy to play out of, hard fairways that meant they were playing wedges where they normally played 8's? Did I miss the wind blowing a gale or heavy downpours or lightning greens or long rough?
    I said they were wildly differing. Did you not understand what I meant? There was rain, sun, fast greens, slow greens, wind on the last day and holes playing a hundred yards shorter and longer depending on the day. Differing. Wildly.

18th top 10 finish for Rory at Major championships. Only 29, pretty good going.

Nicklaus finished runner up 19 times in Majors, and has 56 top 5 finishes. but I'm sure all he cares about is the 18 wins. Golfers don't care about finishing 10th.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭DONTMATTER

Good week for McIlroy, played well, was in contention to the end. 2nd place, just beaten by a player on top of his game. Shows how difficult it is to win majors. Usually with the winds to day it'd be game over for McIlroy but he did very well to get himself on a run.

• Advertisement

I said they were wildly differing. Did you not understand what I meant? There was rain, sun, fast greens, slow greens, wind on the last day and holes playing a hundred yards shorter and longer depending on the day. Differing. Wildly.

Oh right, didnt hear any of the pros complaining about the weather conditions nor the greens, wild indeed.

Oh right, didnt hear any of the pros complaining about the weather conditions nor the greens, wild indeed.
    What's your point? I'm not a pro. :rolleyes:

What wildly differing conditions are you saying McIllroy did well to score in? For an Open, the conditions were just about ideal, the players wore tee shirts mostly, there was little rain, when it did rain it softened the course and the players scored highest after it, and for a links, the wind light compared to other years. What is your point?

I watched a lot of coverage, not one of the players complained about the conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,482 ✭✭✭irishgeo

DONTMATTER wrote: »
    Good week for McIlroy, played well, was in contention to the end. 2nd place, just beaten by a player on top of his game. Shows how difficult it is to win majors. Usually with the winds to day it'd be game over for McIlroy but he did very well to get himself on a run.
    He wasn't just beaten.

A more experienced caddie might help read putts better. Sure Harry is a good player but he is only learning the courses. A more experienced caddie would know most of them.

Who is his coach. We can see his putting and short iron play are in need of work. Why his coach or Rory himself isn't working on it I'll never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,376 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

His point is that he has a massive chip on his shoulder about McIlroy for some reason. It's bizarre.

• Advertisement

irishgeo wrote: »
    He wasn't just beaten.

A more experienced caddie might help read putts better. Sure Harry is a good player but he is only learning the courses. A more experienced caddie would know most of them.

Who is his coach. We can see his putting and short iron play are in need of work. Why his coach or Rory himself isn't working on it I'll never know.

Every player needs a bit of work. That's the way it is, no one is the finished article. McIlroy had a good week, just not good enough to win. He'll be disappointed but he's right there at the top of the game and he'll continue to compete at that level for the foreseeable future.

irishgeo wrote: »

You're obviously very knowledgable - is he just turning up 10 mins before his tee time and taking a few practice swings before belting one down the first or what's the deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Dr Devious

That eagle put a bit of gloss on an average round and lets face it he was still Rory up to then, IE horrendous on the the green....the boy just cant putt for 5hite. Will love to see the stats for the round.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

He was beaten by poor putting, nothing else.

I would agree with the poster regarding his post round interview.
    He seems to be happy to just get top 10. Himself and Kuch should move in together, maybe Stricker could sub-let a room too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭Russman

Did you see the interviews with him and woods after? Woods looked like he was fit to kill, the frustration and disappointment with not winning. McIllroy on the other had was happy with how he played. If ever the gulf in competitiveness and determination was more obvious, I don't know when it was.

Or maybe he felt it ok to be pleasant to his interviewer despite being disappointed.......?

GreeBo wrote: »

He seems to be happy to just get top 10. Himself and Kuch should move in together, maybe Stricker could sub-let a room too.

Everyone missed putts. No doubt he has stuff to work on but he kept his head up and battled today. He really stuck at it, something people have been criticising him for in the past. He just came up short to a player in the form of his life.

Maybe he already knows his limitations. Would love to see his putting stats during his major winning spell, Im sure they're good or did he just outdrive the field and could afford to two putt more often than not and still get away with it.

Dr Devious wrote: »
    That eagle put a bit of gloss on an average round and lets face it he was still Rory up to then, IE horrendous on the the green....the boy just cant putt for 5hite. Will love to see the stats for the round.

2 3-putts in 72 holes, T16 in average putts per round, was 14th in total putting starting today. He missed a number of makeable putts over the 4 days, but that is nonsense. And 28 putts today seeing as you asked.

fullstop wrote: »
    2 3-putts in 72 holes, T16 in average putts per round, was 14th in total putting starting today. He missed a number of makeable putts over the 4 days, but that is nonsense. And 28 putts today seeing as you asked.

Hate to say it but he still strikes most people as huge driver and a poor putter.

isn't there a phrase coined for golfers like that.....you drive for show and putt......I forget the rest of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭Russman

Exactly. It’s the approach play that let him down this time imo, especially from 120-150yds.

Or maybe, just maybe, links golf on firm ground in a breeze, with tucked pins is hard and sometimes things don’t go your way.......

• Advertisement

Dr Devious wrote: »
    Hate to say it but he still strikes most people as huge driver and a poor putter.

You asked for the stats, you got the stats and you come back with "but he still strikes most people as..." when the stats prove you were talking plop.

No debating with that, is there :rolleyes:

He is 164th in distance of putts made through the year. Was 162nd going into the Open.
    Everyone misses putts, but he frequently misses the putts that the others dont miss.

He is 164th in distance of putts made through the year. Was 162nd going into the Open.
    Everyone misses putts, but he frequently misses the putts that the others dont miss.
    Yes but that has little effect on this weekend, where his putting stats were good. No doubt there is an issue with it overall, but even when he has a good week you get the keyboard pros having a go.

Here's your post, this was only a few minutes ago:

Unlikely you're going to admit you were as wrong as wrong could be but here's the post that proves it again anyway:

His point is that he has a massive chip on his shoulder about McIlroy for some reason. It's bizarre.

Not at all. I just don't get all the hero worship and the glorification you guys go in for. He is a fantastic golfer, mercurial is how he has been described, but he is a crap putter, ergo he is not the golfer you guys make him out to be. He is 146th on the PGA tour for putts 10 feet or less, that has not, nor never will be good enough. I'm not one who simply praises him because he has 18 top 10 finishes, or claps him on the back for shooting 4 good rounds in the sunshine. I listen to what he said himself, he hasn't achieved what he should have, either through loss of focus or form. Yes he won 4 majors, but you guys think that if he retired today he would have a great career, ask him that question, I'd say he would tell you he was disappointed he didn't win more. Honestly, some of the crap on here, to win you have to make the shots you should make and hope you get a few you shouldn't. He doesn't make the shots he should make (wedges & putts mostly) and occasionally makes the shots he shouldn't, which are thrilling to watch.

How could anyone who follows the game say he is a better player now than he was 2012-2014, and at 29, four years is a long time to at best remain stagnant and at worse regress. Why hasn't he improved? Is it lack of application or did his talent not develop as expected? That is debatable but the stats are not, no majors, poor short game stats, why then do you think anyone who thinks this is not good enough has a chip on his shoulder? After all, McIllroy himself said it is not good enough.

Not at all. I just don't get all the hero worship and the glorification you guys go in for. He is a fantastic golfer, mercurial is how he has been described, but he is a crap putter, ergo he is not the golfer you guys make him out to be. He is 146th on the PGA tour for putts 10 feet or less, that has not, nor never will be good enough. I'm not a clapping seal who praises him because he has 18 top 10 finishes, or claps him on the back for shooting 4 good rounds in the sunshine. I listen to what he said himself, he hasn't achieved what he should have, either through loss of focus or form. Yes he won 4 majors, but you guys think that if he retired today he would have a great career, ask him that question, I'd say he would tell you he was disappointed he didn't win more. Honestly, some of the crap on here, to win you have to make the shots you should make and hope you get a few you shouldn't. He doesn't make the shots he should make (wedges & putts mostly) and occasionally makes the shots he shouldn't, which are thrilling to watch.

Only a moron would say he is a better player now than he was 2012-2014, and at 29, four years is a long time to at best remain stagnant and at worse regress. Why hasn't he improved? Is it lack of application or did his talent not develop as expected? That is debatable but the stats are not, no majors, poor short game stats, why then do you think anyone who thinks this is not good enough has a chip on his shoulder? After all, McIllroy himself said it is not good enough.
    Sorry, but that sounds exactly like a massive chip on the shoulder. Going as far as to actively disparage anyone who supports him doesn't sound like a balanced viewpoint. I've highlighted the unnecessary ephithets just to highlight that.

Sorry, but that sounds exactly like a massive chip on the shoulder. Going as far as to actively disparage anyone who supports him doesn't sound like a balanced viewpoint. I've highlighted the unnecessary ephithets just to highlight that.

I see, and the accusation of having a chip on a shoulder isn't disparaging? Maybe this is an example of wildly differing, opinions.

Is he a better player now than when he won his 4 majors?

Here's your post, this was only a few minutes ago:

Unlikely you're going to admit you were as wrong as wrong could be but here's the post that proves it again anyway:
    And below is the post and some other *facts* that shows the problems that you are ignoring for some reason.

Sure he didnt have a lot of 3 putts or too many putts overall today, but he still missed a lot of putts that he should be getting. You cant hide that fact.

The fact that he dropped 2 more places based on his performance over the last 4 days cant be ignored.
    If he was putting well then surely this stat would improve rather than disimprove?

Inside 10 feet? Yep he dropped in that stat too, 132 down to 133 with a platy 42% of them dropping. The leader is on 66%.

Inside 5 feet? Down to 123 with 81%, leader is on 94%.

One putts?
    44th.

Strokes Gained putting?
    114th.

Three putt avoidance?
    78th.

But yeah, his putting is great and it's all in my head! :rolleyes:

Lets look at approaches from the fairway shall we?
    48th with over 35 FEET! (Thats 11 yards btw)

How about approaches from inside 100 Yards?
    119th with over 18 feet, leader is on ~12feet.
    So thats an extra 6 feet on average, couple that with his putting from this range and you tell me what that shows?

To break that down into laymans terms, if he played pitch and putt he would miss more greens that he would hit.

Sorry lads, but for your supposed most natural/best player around those stats are downright pathetic.
    If he didnt hit it so far off the tee we wouldnt have even heard of him.

And below is the post and some other *facts* that shows the problems that you are ignoring for some reason.

Sure he didnt have a lot of 3 putts or too many putts overall today, but he still missed a lot of putts that he should be getting. You cant hide that fact.

The fact that he dropped 2 more places based on his performance over the last 4 days cant be ignored.
    If he was putting well then surely this stat would improve rather than disimprove?

Inside 10 feet? Yep he dropped in that stat too, 132 down to 133 with a platy 42% of them dropping. The leader is on 66%.

Inside 5 feet? Down to 123 with 81%, leader is on 94%.

One putts?
    44th.

Strokes Gained putting?
    114th.

Three putt avoidance?
    78th.

But yeah, his putting is great and it's all in my head! :rolleyes:

Lets look at approaches from the fairway shall we?
    48th with over 35 FEET! (Thats 11 yards btw)

How about approaches from inside 100 Yards?
    119th with over 18 feet, leader is on ~12feet.
    So thats an extra 6 feet on average, couple that with his putting from this range and you tell me what that shows?

To break that down into laymans terms, if he played pitch and putt he would miss more greens that he would hit.

Sorry lads, but for your supposed most natural/best player around those stats are downright pathetic.
    If he didnt hit it so far off the tee we wouldnt have even heard of him.

Here:

• Advertisement

Here:

Thats a pretty poor attempt at countering ANY of the points that I made and backed up with facts.

But lets go with it anyway:

Are you seriously saying that we should celebrate the fact that he is 14th & 16th after one of his best putting displays?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement