Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭Russman

I don’t think anyone is suggesting he’s a great putter, just that this week he was amongst the best in the field at putting, this week only.

Linking it to whether he’s the most talented player / best player or whatever, in the world makes no sense as one is stats based and one is completely subjective. The best player doesn’t have to be the best at all the component parts of the game, to be considered the best player. Look at any of the world number ones we’ve had and I don’t think many of them were ever the best (or even close) at all facets of golf. Even at his peak Tiger was still sh1t at driving the ball, Vijay was never a good putter, same with Westwood, Donald rarely hit a fairway, Speith got there by holing almost one in four from 25 feet, Kaymer can’t chip, the list goes on. Els is probably as complete as anyone has been, for the short time he was number one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,172 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Wouldn't be the biggest Rory fan and would have been a critic of his mentality but couldn't fault it today. Even when things were not going for him, there was one putt for par can't remember which hole, was just a shocking miss. Thought he would blow up a little after it but he stuck at it, rallied and went close.

Had a good weekend, only one guy can win at the end of the tournament and Molinari was the most consistent golfer, bogey free for the weekend too going with the good form coming into it, I thought his putting might let him down when the pressure came on but he held firm. Delighted for him.

Seeing Rory and Tiger playing well in a major excites me for the coming months. Never really seen those two battle it out yet due to various circumstance. The sight of them coming out in the last pairing in a major would be one to behold and something we will hopefully see in the next 12 months.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Site Banned Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭DONTMATTER

GreeBo wrote: »
    Thats a pretty poor attempt at countering ANY of the points that I made and backed up with facts.

But lets go with it anyway:

Are you seriously saying that we should celebrate the fact that he is 14th & 16th after one of his best putting displays?

I was just reminding you about how wrong you were.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Elisedal

I personally think Rory needs a new caddie....someone that interacts with him and gives advise...Rory at present seems to do his own thing. I think an experienced caddie would be a big help for him. Watching this weekend showed little chat between the 2 compared to other players

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Elisedal wrote: »
    I personally think Rory needs a new caddie....someone that interacts with him and gives advise...Rory at present seems to do his own thing. I think an experienced caddie would be a big help for him. Watching this weekend showed little chat between the 2 compared to other players
    He's always been like that. But we also don't see if they're talking on the way down the fairway or on the tee box. Or even the night before the round or on the range. Also, he's usually the last to take his second shot, so there's ample opportunity to talk to Harry while he's waiting and we don't see that either. Jordan Spieth talks continuously to his caddy, but that didn't stop him taking out the three wood in the rough. Maddest thing I saw all day yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Elisedal wrote: »
    He has a new one? The old one didn't speak either as Rory won 4 majors with him on the bag...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

goes to show how poor all these other "world class" golfers are when Rory almost won it with a sort of 1/2 arsed effort.

Also could people please not mention wind and links when it comes to Rory again - pure nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

He was beaten by poor putting, nothing else.

I would agree with the poster regarding his post round interview.
    He seems to be happy to just get top 10. Himself and Kuch should move in together, maybe Stricker could sub-let a room too.
    Thats a pretty poor attempt at countering ANY of the points that I made and backed up with facts.

But lets go with it anyway:

Are you seriously saying that we should celebrate the fact that he is 14th & 16th after one of his best putting displays?

Make your mind up for god sake :rolleyes:

This is the guy that Butch Harmon just four days ago described as ''one of the best golfers of all time'' and again yesterday said ''Rory will prove again that he is undoubtedly the number one golfer in the world'' but I guess you know better!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,451 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Jordan Spieth talks continuously to his caddy,

And to the ball, maybe just one of those guys...

S02E02-RE6Si7wE-subtitled.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

goes to show how poor all these other "world class" golfers are when Rory almost won it with a sort of 1/2 arsed effort.

Also could people please not mention wind and links when it comes to Rory again - pure nonsense.

On the basis of what, one round of one under par including a massive raker of an eagle putt? Seems like the misjudged efforts with the wedges do nothing to dispel the message.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Pogue eile wrote: »
    Make your mind up for god sake :rolleyes:

This is the guy that Butch Harmon just four days ago described as ''one of the best golfers of all time'' and again yesterday said ''Rory will prove again that he is undoubtedly the number one golfer in the world'' but I guess you know better!!

My mind is perfectly made up.

"one of his best putting displays" does not mean that it was a good putting display in the greater context.

Do you think he proved he was "undoubtedly the number one golfer in the world" over the last 4 days?

"one of his best putting displays" does not mean that it was a good putting display in the greater context.

Do you think he proved he was "undoubtedly the number one golfer in the world" over the last 4 days?

Whats the greater context? He was 16th in putting this week, or last week for the pedants! You seem to be moving the goalposts an awful lot to suit your position.

He was the number two golfer in the world over the last four days, but if we were to believe your retoric it would be easy to imagine he missed the cut.

Irish begrudgery is one of the most long standing and distinguishing traits in the world, got to love it. Haters going to hate.

Russman wrote: »
    I don’t think anyone is suggesting he’s a great putter, just that this week he was amongst the best in the field at putting, this week only.

Linking it to whether he’s the most talented player / best player or whatever, in the world makes no sense as one is stats based and one is completely subjective. The best player doesn’t have to be the best at all the component parts of the game, to be considered the best player. Look at any of the world number ones we’ve had and I don’t think many of them were ever the best (or even close) at all facets of golf. Even at his peak Tiger was still sh1t at driving the ball, Vijay was never a good putter, same with Westwood, Donald rarely hit a fairway, Speith got there by holing almost one in four from 25 feet, Kaymer can’t chip, the list goes on. Els is probably as complete as anyone has been, for the short time he was number one.

But we are not just talking about putting or one aspect of the game.

Sure you can get away with being average at one aspect if the rest of your game is top notch.
    But with Rory his putting is poor and his approach play is poor.
    He is not even average with some of those stats.

And its not like they are some obscure, meaningless stats that I went searching for. Its approaches from <100Yards, and putts from 10 and 5 feet.

It's the bread and butter of the game, especially for a long hitter like Rory.

And other than Tiger, no one is labelling any of those players with the stuff that Rory gets on there "most talented", "best in the world" etc, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,981 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

He's not number one he's number 7.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Whats the greater context? He was 16th in putting this week, or last week for the pedants! You seem to be moving the goalposts an awful lot to suit your position.
    What movement of goalposts? I have consistently said that his putting and approach play is poor. The stats over the season bear that out. The results from the Open bear that out. Watching him miss short putts for 4 days bears that out. Watching him miss everything he looked at during the Irish Open bears that out. But somehow *I'm* shifting goalposts.

You think 16th is something to celebrate?
    Do you think Tiger would celebrate that he has made a massive jump up to 16th?

He was the number two golfer in the world over the last four days, but if we were to believe your retoric it would be easy to imagine he missed the cut.
    Number two by what measure?
    Irish begrudgery is one of the most long standing and distinguishing traits in the world, got to love it. Haters going to hate.
    Yeah, thats it alright. The stats just hate him.:rolleyes:

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    He's not number one he's number 7.

I was quoting the poster who quoted Butch Harmon to somehow prove me wrong.
    I never said he was #1.

ligerdub wrote: »
    On the basis of what, one round of one under par including a massive raker of an eagle putt? Seems like the misjudged efforts with the wedges do nothing to dispel the message.

His wedge play has been off for a while now, absolutely nothing to do with the wind and his one under was the third best round of those in the final 10 groups in the final round, Molinari and Rose the only players to beat it, so are the other 17 all just really really bad in the windy conditions? 5 top 5 finishes in the Open is some going for someone who hits the ball too high to play in the wind :D

What movement of goalposts? I have consistently said that his putting and approach play is poor. The stats over the season bear that out. The results from the Open bear that out. Watching him miss short putts for 4 days bears that out. Watching him miss everything he looked at during the Irish Open bears that out. But somehow *I'm* shifting goalposts.

You think 16th is something to celebrate?
    Do you think Tiger would celebrate that he has made a massive jump up to 16th?

Number two by what measure?

Yeah, thats it alright. The stats just hate him.:rolleyes:

For someone who is allegedly an atrocious putter and only lost because of his putting, your words not mine, then yes 16th in putting is very impressive, thats top 10% of the field.

I couldnt give a rats ars*e what Tiger would celebrate, Rory finished ahead of him btw in case you missed that.

Number two in that he finished second, thought that was self explanatory but obviously not.

No idea what your last sentence means, I get the feeling you are trying to be smart but somehow failed to hit the mark, try again ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

His wedge play has been off for a while now, absolutely nothing to do with the wind and his one under was the third best round of those in the final 10 groups in the final round, Molinari and Rose the only players to beat it, so are the other 17 all just really really bad in the windy conditions? 5 top 5 finishes in the Open is some going for someone who hits the ball too high to play in the wind :D

There wasn't a puff of wind for 3 days of this years edition. The same goes for 2014.

You might recall his first top 5, where he followed up a 63 in glorious sunshine with an 82 (I think?) when the wind turned!

In 2016 he finished 16 shots behind the winner, and I can't really remember what was going on with him last year.

He is an outstanding player, there's no doubt about that, so it shouldn't really come as much of a surprise that he can contend pretty much anytime, anywhere, but there's no doubt the conditions impact his game more than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,358 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

His wedge play is horrendous on every golf course. Its the fact he drove it relatively straight, was able to recover from the rough and could putt on links greens which proves his game is well capable on links.

• Advertisement

For someone who is allegedly an atrocious putter and only lost because of his putting, your words not mine, then yes 16th in putting is very impressive, thats top 10% of the field.
    OK, maybe I just expect more from a player that this forum constantly tells me is the best golfer.
    When 16th is you putting at your best, I'd suggest that points to a weakness in your game. Couple that with the myriad of stats I posted earlier I'd suggest it points to a a big hole in your game.
    I couldnt give a rats ars*e what Tiger would celebrate, Rory finished ahead of him btw in case you missed that.
    Yeah, coz who is that Tiger fella anyway? No pedigree there.

Number two in that he finished second, thought that was self explanatory but obviously not.
    Ah, so you meant #2 in the Open rather than the world then.

Keano wrote: »
    He has a new one? The old one didn't speak either as Rory won 4 majors with him on the bag...

The old one definitely spoke but Rory chose to ignore him.

Remember the FedEx.

JP :: I think you should wedge out and get in good position short of the water.

Rory :: **** you. I'm hitting a low hooky 4iron under the trees, over the water and up to the green and there's not a thing you can do to stop me. Tool.

There wasn't a puff of wind for 3 days of this years edition. The same goes for 2014.

You might recall his first top 5, where he followed up a 63 in glorious sunshine with an 82 (I think?) when the wind turned!

In 2016 he finished 16 shots behind the winner, and I can't really remember what was going on with him last year.

He is an outstanding player, there's no doubt about that, so it shouldn't really come as much of a surprise that he can contend pretty much anytime, anywhere, but there's no doubt the conditions impact his game more than others.

I just think that his short iron/wedge play is off full stop regardless of the conditions, its the only real facet of his game that it would seem he would be better off with a more active caddie, but he is obviously more comfortable with the current arrangement.

I just think that his short iron/wedge play is off full stop regardless of the conditions, its the only real facet of his game that it would seem he would be better off with a more active caddie, but he is obviously more comfortable with the current arrangement.

I don't see how a caddy is going to help him with poor wedge play? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

He could say something like "See that pin there, yea we'll I want you to stick it to within 4 feet, good lad."

OK, maybe I just expect more from a player that this forum constantly tells me is the best golfer.
    When 16th is you putting at your best, I'd suggest that points to a weakness in your game. Couple that with the myriad of stats I posted earlier I'd suggest it points to a a big hole in your game.

Yeah, coz who is that Tiger fella anyway? No pedigree there.

Ah, so you meant #2 in the Open rather than the world then.

Who siad it was him putting at his best.... thats right you did, stop putting (pardon the pun) words in my mouth please!

Tiger and Rory are two completley different people and golfers, do you think all golfers should blindly copy Tiger, its 10 years since Tiger won a major and he choked when in the lead yesterday, just like Jordan Spieth did, but of course they can all be ignored.

You asked me was he the best ''over the last 4 days'', again mind your back moving those goalposts like a good lad.

Or its random and sometimes players have good days and sometimes they don't.

Jordan spieth had a great final round last year and a **** one this year with the first breath of wind they had.

Is spieth a good golfer because he didn't handle the wind but Rory is **** because he did

Really? I would have thought that a caddy would play a huge part in judging distance and club selection, I guess they are just there to hold the bag so, my mistake!

Who siad it was him putting at his best.

The putting stats.

But you don't seem to like inconvenient things like stats and facts and instead rely on emotions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Rikand wrote: »
    The old one definitely spoke but Rory chose to ignore him.

Remember the FedEx.

JP :: I think you should wedge out and get in good position short of the water.

Rory :: **** you. I'm hitting a low hooky 4iron under the trees, over the water and up to the green and there's not a thing you can do to stop me. Tool.

To be fair though, it was one hell of a shot he did play!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement