Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Russman

And yet if a 15 handicapper followed up a great round with what Rory is doing today, the idiots who think everyone is a cheating bandit would tell you he was pulling, looking for 0.1 ! Rant over :D

Seriously though, is it the knee ? or just a few bad shot/breaks ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Russman wrote: »
    And yet if a 15 handicapper followed up a great round with what Rory is doing today, the idiots who think everyone is a cheating bandit would tell you he was pulling, looking for 0.1 ! Rant over :D

:confused: Bizarre rant, makes very little sense.

1. There is no comparison between pros and amateurs because pros don't have handicaps.

2. Even if they did, pros are generally way more consistent. It's no surprise at all when an amateur displays lack of consistency.

3. Why would an amateur run up such a spectacularly bad score just for 0.1? That would only draw attention to the cheating. Counteractive.

4. If you were just trolling, I'm very gullible, you got me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

The knee must be at him. Even with the fickle nature of golf, there is no way he can go from last night's great performance to this tripe today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭Panrich

Out in 43 is 12 shots worse than yesterday.

SnowDrifts wrote: »
    The knee must be at him. Even with the fickle nature of golf, there is no way he can go from last night's great performance to this tripe today.

Or maybe not... just watched some highlight clips and there is no limp or any sign of pain to the knee.

• Advertisement

Ormus wrote: »
    :confused: Bizarre rant, makes very little sense.

1. There is no comparison between pros and amateurs because pros don't have handicaps.

2. Even if they did, pros are generally way more consistent. It's no surprise at all when an amateur displays lack of consistency.

3. Why would an amateur run up such a spectacularly bad score just for 0.1? That would only draw attention to the cheating. Counteractive.

4. If you were just trolling, I'm very gullible, you got me.

Not trolling at all, IMO it makes perfect sense, its a pet hate of mine that when an amateur, quite reasonably, plays inconsistently, if he's had a good round or a good 9, followed by a poor one, he'll often be accused of "pulling". The pros are the best in the world and they show us how fickle this game really is. Anyway its OT, I was using Rory's performance as an example.

:D:D at Jason Dufner's retweet just now regarding Rory's play today. (It's on the forbidden list here so won't copy it)

Is he in any real danger of missing the cut ? What's it predicted to be ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Seems to have stopped the rot and somehow only 3 back!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

You're dead right Russman. I heard Rory is pulling to get a shot back before the us open..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

The knee must be at him.

Toothache maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

Not trolling at all, IMO it makes perfect sense, its a pet hate of mine that when an amateur, quite reasonably, plays inconsistently, if he's had a good round or a good 9, followed by a poor one, he'll often be accused of "pulling". The pros are the best in the world and they show us how fickle this game really is. Anyway its OT, I was using Rory's performance as an example.
    Russman there's a massive difference between been accused of something and someone having the banter with you, I think you maybe confusing the two a little bit, or else you're taking trolling to a new level, if so well played.
    Rorys performance today is almost certainly injury related or maybe he's just playing for the .1 now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

Russman there's a massive difference between been accused of something and someone having the banter with you, I think you maybe confusing the two a little bit, or else you're taking trolling to a new level, if so well played.
    Rorys performance today is almost certainly injury related or maybe he's just playing for the .1 now.

They mentioned on the radio that the Danish lady - or her reps/friends - are drip-feeding info to the press and it's bothering him.

Whatever the reason, the play is crap; that said his general play on Fridays needs to be addressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Pretty normal tho year for Rory sure he said himself every tournament he has played he has had a 9 hole stretch that has put him out of contention for the win.

He still managed top 10's and hopefully with yesterday's round has kept him in contention after what is, let's be honest an absolutely pathetic 9 holes at that level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Howshocowpownw

It has been a joy to watch Rory today.

• Registered Users Posts: 52,009 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Hard to understand Rory's golf.
    Dream golf yesterday.
    Nightmare golf today.

Hope he gets it right tomorrow.

Did someone ditch you in the past? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭John Divney

What did he finish on? You just can't start like that, crazy.

He can still bounce back though easily (cut?)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Banned for Trolling

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Its pretty incredible that even playing a 78 today, Rory still only had 28 putts :eek:

• Advertisement

Jimdagym wrote: »
    Its pretty incredible that even playing a 78 today, Rory still only had 28 putts :eek:

Yeah I was just looking at that trying to figure out what went wrong today. Strokes gained putting 3.2 which is obviously good. GIR 58% and driving accuracy 50% which are reasonable. Doesn't look like we are going to see highlights of his round on Sky.

Yeah I was just looking at that trying to figure out what went wrong today. Strokes gained putting 3.2 which is obviously good. GIR 58% and driving accuracy 50% which are reasonable. Doesn't look like we are going to see highlights of his round on Sky.

The other 50% of his drives must have been pretty wayward.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

The other 50% of his drives must have been pretty wayward.

The other 42% of his GIR was atrocious!

Then there was this penalty for a double hit on 15.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Did someone ditch you in the past? :pac:

This Rory-licking troller not banned, surprise surprise :rolleyes:

This Rory-licking troller not banned, surprise surprise :rolleyes:

Ah now he deserved it but it's over now.
    Please keep these threads for golf and not for having a crack at golfers. They are all doing their best and are all Irish, lads we saw when they were growing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I missed most of it yesterday, but am stunned that Rory shot 78. What the hell went wrong? OK his putting was amazing on Thursday, but take an extra 15 shots to get around??????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

vienne86 wrote: »
    I missed most of it yesterday, but am stunned that Rory shot 78. What the hell went wrong? OK his putting was amazing on Thursday, but take an extra 15 shots to get around??????

Stuff like this:
    13th
    Shot 1 308 yds to right intermediate, 145 yds to hole
    Shot 2 78 yds to right rough, 84 yds to hole
    Shot 3 55 ft to right rough, 69 yds to hole
    Shot 4 73 yds to green, 13 ft to hole
    Shot 5 putt 15 ft 7 in., 2 ft 10 in. to hole
    Shot 6 in the hole
    14th
    Shot 1 244 yds to right rough, 126 yds to hole
    Shot 2 111 yds to water, 44 ft to hole
    Shot 3 Penalty
    Drop in right intermediate, 71 ft to hole
    Shot 4 92 ft to green, 20 ft to hole
    Shot 5 putt 23 ft 8 in., 2 ft 11 in. to hole
    Shot 6 in the hole
    15th
    Shot 1 289 yds to left rough, 120 yds to hole
    Shot 2 220 yds to left rough, 33 ft to hole
    Shot 3 13 ft to front left green side bunker, 42 ft to hole
    Shot 4 Penalty (for a double hit)
    Shot 5 55 ft to green, 13 ft to hole
    Shot 6 putt 14 ft 1 in., 14 in. to hole
    Shot 7 in the hole

Seems that every time he missed the fairway he got in trouble. Even the intermediate stuff seemed to cause him problems. Presumably he was getting bad lies and was unable to get any kind of distance or accuracy from them. The double hit on the 15th was an outright chunk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

Aaaaaaand he will still finish top 10

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Tones69 wrote: »
    Aaaaaaand he will still finish top 10

You never know what he'll do. That's the fun of watching him really. He can turn in an absolutely fantastic round one day and complete muck the next, but the good stuff blows everyone away when it happens.

The Friday fubar is a strange one, it's almost a given at this stage. You'd be forgiven for thinking he can't play 18 holes starting on the back 9.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement