Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

Whatever about some of your previous points Davo that post is absolute rubbish.
    The biggest tournaments have the biggest prize money and require players to be higher up the rankings to qualify for. It's not rocket science the better you are the more you will win.

There may be some outliers on the pga tour like Billy horschel or Bill Haas winning the Fed ex cup but the European tour doesn't carry any such annomalies imo. I could get if you said the prize money now is higher than it was when say Seve or Monty were at their peak so it's a poor baramoter but look at the names on that list. Sergio, Westwood, Els. I don't see any outliers there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

http://www.europeantour.com/europeantour/stats/career/index.html

My point being, you don't have to win the biggest tournaments to earn millions, unless you think the JT tournament was a big one? Maybe it was.

A good example of my point is the money on offer now compared to 5 years ago in the Irish open. Using money earned is not a good measure of achievement. A few years ago Briony Byrd was in the top 10 in the world, thing was, at the time he had never won a tournament. Even the average golfers have won millions, so leading the European Tour in earnings, surpassing a guy who has never won a major, is hardly an accolade you can hang on your wall.

Also, I'm not sure that list applies only to money earned exclusively on the European Tour, Danny Willett is there at €12m, I can only assume that includes winning the Masters.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,978 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Davo what point are you trying to make? Are you saying McIlroy shouldn't be in the top 10 in the world?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Davo what point are you trying to make? Are you saying McIlroy shouldn't be in the top 10 in the world?

Where did you get that from? He is number 7, how can you say someone shouldn't be a rank when that rank has to be earned?

He thourouly deserves to be in the top 10 because his results earned that, where was I saying otherwise?

My point is, even players who have never won big tournaments earn vast amounts. His ranking is bang on, he's currently the 7th best player in the world

davo10 wrote: »

My point being, you don't have to win the biggest tournaments to earn millions, unless you think the JT tournament was a big one? Maybe it was.

A good example of my point is the money on offer now compared to 5 years ago in the Irish open. Using money earned is not a good measure of achievement. A few years ago Briony Byrd was in the top 10 in the world, thing was, at the time he had never won a tournament. Even the average golfers have won millions, so leading the European Tour in earnings, surpassing a guy who has never won a major, is hardly an accolade you can hang on your wall.

Also, I'm not sure that list applies only to money earned exclusively on the European Tour, Danny Willett is there at €12m, I can only assume that includes winning the Masters.

Cmon now davo are you telling a few tall tails again?
    Maybe you should research what you believe before blurting it out on here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

How are you Conno?

And who is Briony Byrd?

How are you Conno?

And who is Briony Byrd?

Reminds me of my favorite South Park episode Imaginationland.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Chopper83

For me when the conditions are right and he's on song there is no one better in the game.
    I see his problem 4 fold
    - There is such a deep field of talent
    - Quite a lot have caught up with his driving distance which negates his advantage
    - As mentioned before he isn't a grinder and mentally has question marks
    - Putting doesn't come naturally to him and often struggles when the chips are down.
    Such a great player regardless though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Chopper83 wrote: »
    For me when the conditions are right and he's on song there is no one better in the game.
    I see his problem 4 fold
    - Quite a lot have caught up with his driving distance which negates his advantage
    - Putting doesn't come naturally to him and often struggles when the chips are down.

His main advantage over others is his length off the tee. That does not translate into a similar advantage in proximity to the flag. It is common to see his playing partners hit longer clubs to the green and finish closer to the hole. If he could translate his length advantage into shots saved, he would be really formidable. But he doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Chopper83

First Up wrote: »
    I see his problem 4 fold

His main advantage over others is his length off the tee.  That does not translate into a similar advantage in proximity to the flag.  It is common to see his playing partners hit longer clubs to the green and finish closer to the hole.  If he could translate his length advantage into shots saved, he would be really formidable.   But he doesn't.
    Agree, he's 2nd on driving distance on the PGA tour which gives him a real advantage over the likes of Kisner, Snedeker, Kuchar etc.. In an event which didn't suit many of the bombers (DJ, Brooks) I was impressed with Rory during the Open.

• Advertisement

kiers47 wrote: »
    Cmon now davo are you telling a few tall tails again?
    Maybe you should research what you believe before blurting it out on here.

Gotta say, I like when this happens.

Which tall tales?

Are you saying the prize money in the Irish Open hasn't gone up in the last 5 years? It has.

Are you saying the Shinners tournament (used to be hosted by JT) doesn't have a huge prize? It does, $1.2m first prize won by Patrick Cantlay.

The European tour list has a lot of surprising big money winners, yet many of them never won a big tournament.

Spelling is wrong, Briny Baird, and at one time he was in the top 10 money earners ($13m), not ranking, even though he has never won a PGA tour tournament. My point, again, being, winning large amounts of cash does not equate to golfing achievement.

Gotta say, I like when this happens.

Which tall tales?

Are you saying the prize money in the Irish Open hasn't gone up in the last 5 years? It has.

Are you saying the Shinners tournament (used to be hosted by JT) doesn't have a huge prize? It does, $1.2m first prize won by Patrick Cantlay.

The European tour list has a lot of surprising big money winners, yet many of them never won a big tournament.

Spelling is wrong, Briny Baird, and at one time he was in the top 10 money earners ($13m), not ranking, even though he has never won a PGA tour tournament. My point, again, being, winning large amounts of cash does not equate to golfing achievement.

You said he was in the top 10 in the world. Tbh id be surprised if he made it inside the top 50. As I said tall tales.

Also the Shriners has a big prize it is a pga tour event. It has been even when JT hosted it. Most pga tour events have a million first prize. I'm not sure the relevance of that particular event?

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

You said he was in the top 10 in the world. Tbh id be surprised if he made it inside the top 50. As I said tall tales.

Briny Baird highest world ranking was 68th.

You could find anyone you want that was once top10 in career earnings once you pick a relevant year.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

stockdam wrote: »
    Yes he has short-comings but so has every other player. McIlroy isn't a grinder

I used to think McIlroy wasn't a grinder until recently but his round on Sunday he ground out. He was +2 for the day after 5 holes and clawed his way back in to contention. When he won the Arnold Palmer a few months ago with something like 6 birdies in the last 8 holes to win he could have easily just fobbed off the round and gone through the motions for those last 8 holes.

At this point in his career and for a while now, he has the money in the bank and his card on both tours is safe as houses. If he's playing a mid-ranking PGA Tour event and he's too far back to win then he doesn't bother grinding cause he doesn't need to. He's not a Poulter type player who's in danger of losing his card and every position on the table & $$$ counts and has to grind it out every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

[QUOTE=davo10;107599812

A good example of my point is the money on offer now compared to 5 years ago in the Irish open.[/QUOTE]

Would that be the same Irish Open that would no longer exist but for said Rory McIlroy, very convenient how the knockers never seem to acknowledge this fact.

Also the Shriners has a big prize it is a pga tour event. It has been even when JT hosted it. Most pga tour events have a million first prize. I'm not sure the relevance of that particular event?

Yip, made a mistake on world, should have been US earnings.

My point about the Shinners is, it isn't a big/prestigeous tournament but winner gets a whole barrow load of cash, you don't have to win big events to earn lots of money, so earnings are not a good measurement of achievement, heck you don't even need to win to earn lots of money, as per Briny Baird.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Top 5 in each of his last 4 Opens. Some record on the links.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭benny79

and he cant play links :rolleyes:

My point about the Shinners is, it isn't a big/prestigeous tournament but winner gets a whole barrow load of cash, you don't have to win big events to earn lots of money, so earnings are not a good measurement of achievement, heck you don't even need to win to earn lots of money, as per Briny Baird.

No you don't need to win big to get loads of cash but I don't see how earnings aren't a good measurement of achievement. They're all playing for the same pot of cash every week. If 1 player earns more than another on a particular week we can take that as they have achieved a better finish for that week. Extrapolate that out to a season and then a career the same logic applies.

BTW, I don't remember ever seeing Briny Baird in action but if he has career earnings of €13M then he may not have been good enough to win but must have been consistent enough to make cuts.

Yip, made a mistake on world, should have been US earnings.

I thought it would be obvious but in a key sentence in my remarks I said the word Would instead of Wouldn't.
    The sentence should have read why wouldn't I be talking out my ass.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Lads, lets get this back on topic, money lists etc all belong in the relevant PGA / European tour threads. This thread is about McIlroy.
    Thanks.

I thought it would be obvious but in a key sentence in my remarks I said the word Would instead of Wouldn't.
    The sentence should have read why wouldn't I be talking out my ass.

Ah here, if you are going to plagerise a statement, don't associate yourself with the idiot who owns it. Is that you Trump?

When is Rors due out on course again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

Pogue eile wrote: »
    Thoughts now?? :rolleyes:

Still the same, he could have won that open by 5 or 6 shots easy if he was able to hit a decent wedge, and hole 5 foot putts,
    But at least he can drive well eh :rolleyes:

AnneFrank wrote: »
    Toys out of the pram again, commentators questioning why he can't hit a low soft wedge, same old story, same old Rory,
    AnneFrank wrote: »
    Still the same, he could have won that open by 5 or 6 shots easy if he was able to hit a decent wedge, and hole 5 foot putts,
    But at least he can drive well eh :rolleyes:

So the above was your initial statement that I offered you the chance to re-assess.

Are you in all seriousness standing over your assertion that McIlroy, one of only three players in the final 10 groups to break par in R4- actually broke par all 4 days - threw the ''Toys out of the pram again''??

• Registered Users Posts: 17,978 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Pogue eile wrote: »
    So the above was your initial statement that I offered you the chance to re-assess.

Are you in all seriousness standing over your assertion that McIlroy, one of only three players in the final 10 groups to break par in R4- actually broke par all 4 days - threw the ''Toys out of the pram again''??

Don't waste your time

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

When he dropped a shot early in Sunday he sort of mentally checked out a little as if he thought had blown his chances. Then when he seen the leaders drop shots he knuckled down again. He really needs to find a way to keep the peddle to the mat no matter what. And stop letting the head go down.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭thewobbler

A lot of people on this thread must have spent some time in an alternate dimension, in which only flawless golfers have any right be declared great golfers.

For I’ve never seen such a golfer on this earth. Not even Tiger in his pomp.

thewobbler wrote: »
    A lot of people on this thread must have spent some time in an alternate dimension, in which only flawless golfers have any right be declared great golfers.

If he was from anywhere other than Ireland the same lads would be heaping praise on him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

thewobbler wrote: »

I get your general point theWobbler - like I was open mouthed at some of Rory drives this weekend- the accuracy with such power is amazing to watch - his low irons from tees too - incredible too.

His wedge play and putting will come good and he will have another incredible run and get back to number 1.

But - Tiger was outrageous in his pomp. He won 7 events in a row at one stage - yes 7 :eek:

He spent 281 weeks at world number 1 at one point - yes 281. :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement