Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Having watched Rory closely at the weekend I’m so confused about how he goes about things at times. I’m a huge fan of his but can’t grasp how he is so far from the hole with shots from 100yds or so.

I remember he holed his second in the fed ex to get into the mix with a little sawed off finish shot, really controlled looking. I’ve seen him play that shot a bit in the past and it looks like he has the ball on a string.

This year all his shots from that yardage are “full” as in the finishes with the club behind his head. I don’t see why he needs such a full swing for what I’d call a control shot.

Compare his approach on the last on Sunday to molinari, rose, even tiger and from the same distance too. Terrible really.

Of all the comical things in this thread the craziest thing I’ve seen is the fact poulter has won 24mil on the European tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭benny79

Agree totally Foreright was actually thinking that myself the last few months and again on Sunday when he played the 18th and didnt get close! That to me is his biggest problem he should maybe go back to the vokey's lol..

I dont get all the Rory bashing I personally dont like him as a person. I have nothing against him but love to watch him just like I love to watch Tiger.. Some of the shots they pull off are unnatural!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

Pogue eile wrote: »
    So the above was your initial statement that I offered you the chance to re-assess.

Are you in all seriousness standing over your assertion that McIlroy, one of only three players in the final 10 groups to break par in R4- actually broke par all 4 days - threw the ''Toys out of the pram again''??

Yes i am, he's mentally weak,
    He's a typical flat track pony.
    He should stop talking bullsh*t with ever changing opinions and practice putting and wedge play. But from what i can see he's happy with his lot,
    he's an athlete" now don't you know

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

AnneFrank wrote: »
    Yes i am, he's mentally weak,
    He should stop talking bullsh*t with ever changing opinions and practice putting and wedge play. But from what i can see he's happy with his lot,
    he's an athlete" now don't you know

I think you need to get out more Anne, maybe get yourself a diary or a good book ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭Russman

backspin. wrote: »
    When he dropped a shot early in Sunday he sort of mentally checked out a little as if he thought had blown his chances. Then when he seen the leaders drop shots he knuckled down again. He really needs to find a way to keep the peddle to the mat no matter what. And stop letting the head go down.

Who says ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

he's mentally weak,
    He should..

You'd be better off just staying quiet during the times he scores well ;)

Pogue eile wrote: »
    I think you need to get out more Anne, maybe get yourself a diary or a good book ;)

wow that's original

RoadRunner wrote: »
    You'd be better off just staying quiet during the times he scores well ;)

Mcilroy has talent to burn that's obvious, but the chap simply doesn't give that much of a toss from what i can see, he's made his millions.
    I totally agree with the comment above about hitting 3/4 swing wedge shots.
    Why can't he do this ? it's crazy and trying to defend it is worse

Mcilroy has talent to burn that's obvious, but the chap simply doesn't give that much of a toss from what i can see, he's made his millions.
    I totally agree with the comment above about hitting 3/4 swing wedge shots.
    Why can't he do this ? it's crazy and trying to defend it is worse

If he doesn't give a toss why is he still playing? He came second in The open, was in the last group on the last day of the Masters. Which he bottled, wanted it to bad imo... shock horror he's human.... I bottled my Captains day last year ffs imagine the pressure there under!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

People saying he doesn't care or doesnt have the hunger is plainly ridiculous. McIlroy loves the game, grew up as a fan of Nicklaus and Woods and would dearly love to emulate their achievements if only he can find the key. We are all, myself included, inclined to judge McIlroy harsher than others because we had outsized expectations of him based on what we saw and were told about him as a junior golfer. That may well be valid, but only up to a point. Saw a few comments earlier about his supposedly casual demeanour during his post third round interview on Saturday, yet apparently that was only after he had calmed himself down after throwing a strop behind the 18th green, such was the magnitude of his frustration. Such is the way it is anyway. Be polite and professional during an interview and he doesn't give a toss, get frustrated and show some emotion after a bad shot and he's throwing a hissy fit. With some people, McIlroy isn't going to win either way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

3/4 swing wedge shots.
    Why can't he do this ?

3/4 wedges are tough

RoadRunner wrote: »
    3/4 wedges are tough

And most of the pins these guys are playing to aren't in the middle of the green or on a flat piece of the green. Sure he has room for improvement but I'm sure every player can say that about some aspects of the game.

Golf is hard and they aren't robots regardless of what level of natural ability they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Exactly wrote: »
    And most of the pins these guys are playing to aren't in the middle of the green or on a flat piece of the green. Sure he has room for improvement but I'm sure every player can say that about some aspects of the game.

Golf is hard and they aren't robots regardless of what level of natural ability they have.

But it is their living, their job and something they should be at 7 days a week pretty much.
    With all that practice or time to practice surely his coach would have said Rory how about you get nice controlled wedge play into your armory, you dont need to go full bore on every shot. He can come across a bit Happy Gilmore at times with his wedges inside a 100yds compared to those around him.
    I have no doubts about the skill and power he has but its an element of his game that I think is his weakest (yes even more than his putting)

From this years stats for PGA Rory is 94th (75-100yds) and 173rd (50-75yds) in proximity to hole from fairway. Make of that what you will

To be honest I'd say he is putting in the time its his weakness he has even said he's been working hard on it.

He has come close in all the Majors this year and also has the most world ranking points this year and a win! .. Golf is a hard game especially at their level with the talent pool in today's game..

benny79 wrote: »
    He has come close in all the Majors this year and also has the most world ranking points this year and a win!

If only he cared :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

benny79 wrote: »
    ... also has the most world ranking points this year and a win! .. Golf is a hard game especially at their level with the talent pool in today's game..

Bubba and Molinari both have more ranking points this year and have lost considerably less points in 2018 too, in fact only 5 players in the world have lost more points than Rory in 2018 and two of them are still ahead of Rory in the rankings - DJ/JT and Speith another one (just one below him in the rankings)...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

When he said a while back "I don't love golf" I more or less gave up on him. Some talent but just doesn't have it upstairs.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

When he said a while back "I don't love golf" I more or less gave up on him. Some talent but just doesn't have it upstairs.

Did he not say there is more to life than golf? Doesn’t have it upstairs is very bizzare statement to make about some who has won the race to Dubai, FedEx cup and is one major away from the grandslam.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Keano wrote:
    Did he not say there is more to life than golf? Doesn’t have it upstairs is very bizzare statement to make about some who has won the race to Dubai, FedEx cup and is one major away from the grandslam.

I dont know what it means but if he did in fact say that about a game that has made him hundreds of millions of euros/pounds/dollars I find it bizzare and disappointing.

Here is what he actually said.........

''obviously I don’t feel like I’ll have fulfilled my potential but at the same time, there are other things in my life that are more important than golf I think I’ve always had other interests and I’ve always had things that have been a big part of my life. But yeah, I think getting married and thinking about the future and what that entails, that’s huge.

I think as you get older and as you evolve as a person, you change and your perspective on things changes a bit. It’s not just the golf nowadays, there’s a lot more that goes into it.

It’s still my career, and I still want to make the most of it and I still feel like I have a lot of time to make my mark on golf, but at the same time it doesn’t keep me up at night thinking, if I never won another Major, I can’t live with myself.”

The bolded part is the most significant for me, and everything else is 100% correct, he is now a man with responsibilities as opposed to the happy go lucky youngster with not a worry in the world.

• Advertisement

Keano wrote: »
    What I mean is he doesn't have the mentality to challenge the all-time greats. He has the ability to get into double digits of majors, and close in on Tiger and Jack, but not the necessary burning desire.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭bren2001

I dont know what it means but if he did in fact say that about a game that has made him hundreds of millions of euros/pounds/dollars I find it bizzare and disappointing.

Is it bizarre to say there is more to life than your day job? I'd be really concerned if he viewed golf as everything.

bren2001 wrote: »
    Is it bizarre to say there is more to life than your day job? I'd be really concerned if he viewed golf as everything.
    When you could be remembered as one of the best in history at your day job then it should be everything, yes. Not for the remaining 99.999% of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭bren2001

When you could be remembered as one of the best in history at your day job then it should be everything, yes. Not for the remaining 99.999% of us.

That's a pretty sad life to live. What's the point of all the work if you cannot enjoy the money and the lifestyle? Seem's like a perfectly understandable position for him to take. It's clear winning majors is still really important to him especially the Masters.

Thats probably how you end up looking like https://www.eonline.com/news/864798/tiger-wood-reveals-he-s-completed-intensive-program-following-may-dui-arrest

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

bren2001 wrote: »

I was referring to the "I don't love golf" version from another poster. The actual word for word quote posted above is much less sensationalist.
    I also think its silly to try an equate a pro sportsman's job and mine but we can leave it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Wouldn’t be surprised if he packed it all in after/if he wins the masters

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

ForeRight wrote: »
    Wouldn’t be surprised if he packed it all in after/if he wins the masters
    Possibly but I was thinking he would get to 40 and that's his lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Maybe he could hire Tom Watson to coach him

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement