Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

Setup this week should be ideal for Rory. Soft, Long course. Hopefully he continues on his good form from the Open.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

prawnsambo wrote: »

My home course have signs up at the front of our range asking people to do this when hitting off the grass bays. Some people do, but you still tend to see random divots left right & centre

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Derek Zoolander

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

I know this sounds harsh but I know 20 handicappers who are better from 100 yards in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

First Up wrote: »
    I know this sounds harsh but I know 20 handicappers who are better from 100 yards in.

It’s actually pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,376 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

You don't...he might be bad with a wedge, but you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

What a load of nonsense. There isn’t a golfer outside category one that this statement would apply to and within that category there would be a very small group of golfers This is typical of the opinions that are bandied around about McIlroy as facts when they are actually off the wall nonsense

What a load of nonsense. There isn’t a golfer outside category one that this statement would apply to and within that category there would be a very small group of golfers This is typical of the opinions that are bandied around about McIlroy as facts when they are actually off the wall nonsense
    As you wish, but I know 20 handicappers who might be hitting their third shot on a par 4 from 100 yards but they will give themselves a putt for par, not be scrambling for par from the back fringe.

Rory's wedge play is an effing disgrace.

As you wish, but I know 20 handicappers who might be hitting their third shot on a par 4 from 100 yards but they will give themselves a putt for par, not be scrambling for par from the back fringe.

So you think that's comparable? Right!

I'm sure if Rory just 'gave himself a putt' from wedge shots he'd win loads.

• Advertisement

fullstop wrote: »

So you think that's comparable? Right!

I'm sure if Rory just 'gave himself a putt' from wedge shots he'd win loads.

Eh, yes - thats what I'm saying. If he could translate his driving into decent birdie opportunities, he would win more than he does.

It is ridiculous that golfers with a fraction of his talent can hit it closer from 100 yards.

Eh, yes - thats what I'm saying. If he could translate his driving into decent birdie opportunities, he would win more than he does.

It is ridiculous that golfers with a fraction of his talent can hit it closer from 100 yards.

Oh god Jason Day just missed a green from 100 yard, sign him up for Jimmy Bruen next year.

If you think anything those lads do is comparable with what you or your 20 handicap friends do, you're sorely mistaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,978 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Bit ott, his wedge play has shown improvement he's definitely been working on it unfortunately he has the ability to throw in a couple of shockers in a round.

On the upside he's scrambling well and he looks confident with the putter in hand.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I honestly thought from watching him over the season Rory had been very bad all year with his wedge play so decided to check it out

But he is ranked 4th in proximity from 100-125

Ranked 3rd from 125 -150

and 22nd overall from the fairway.

I'll admit to being very surprised by that

I honestly thought from watching him over the season Rory had been very bad all year with his wedge play so decided to check it out

Ranked 3rd from 125 -150

He might be good enough to play off 20 based on that

Look I'd take him in a scramble but thats mainly down to his driving

Oh god Jason Day just missed a green from 100 yard, sign him up for Jimmy Bruen next year.

If you think anything those lads do is comparable with what you or your 20 handicap friends do, you're sorely mistaken.[/quote

Congrats. You miss the point nearly as often as Rory misses the green.

Look I'd take him in a scramble but thats mainly down to his driving
    You’d need a good high handicapper for the wedge shots though

Wouldn't get into First Up's fourball with those lads hitting it on for par all the time.

If you think anything those lads do is comparable with what you or your 20 handicap friends do, you're sorely mistaken.[/quote

Your point is that there are 20 handicappers better at certain aspects of the game than a four time major winner. Think about that before you dig any deeper

• Advertisement

Your point is that there are 20 handicappers better at certain aspects of the game than a four time major winner. Think about that before you dig any deeper

Drive for show... etc

Its not how but how many....etc.

You are welcome to your opinion but hitting 340 yard drives and leaving yourself 8 footers for par doesn't sound to me like someone who is making the most of their talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭4Ad

Lucky on 17 !
    Very lucky !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭Russman

Ranked 3rd from 125 -150

Very surprised by that.
    What’s even more astonishing is that either side of those distances, he’s 185th from 150 - 175, and 100th from 75 - 100. Baffling.

And a text book birdie on 18. 3 or 4 more of those a round and he'd be out of sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,978 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

And a text book birdie on 18. 3 or 4 more of those a round and he'd be out of sight.

Like a 20 handicapper ;)

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Russman wrote: »
    Very surprised by that.
    What’s even more astonishing is that either side of those distances, he’s 185th from 150 - 175, and 100th from 75 - 100. Baffling.

I’d guess the 75-100 figure would cover those pesky 3/4 wedge shots he finds awkward. The others, who knows, maybe 150-175 he’s between clubs so again not always hitting full shots as he likes to do. Only guessing though.

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Like a 20 handicapper ;)

I could do backspin like that when I played off 20 no bother.

Sure playing off 20 he’s 48 under nett after two rounds

Tyson Fury wrote: »

Like a 20 handicapper ;)
    Like the world class player he is - at last.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Serious up and down, he did say he is working on a change so more of this please
    http://twitter.com/EuropeanTour/status/1025498702624907264

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement