Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

Russman wrote: »
    Very surprised by that.
    What’s even more astonishing is that either side of those distances, he’s 185th from 150 - 175, and 100th from 75 - 100. Baffling.

While the sample size on all shots are kinda small he only has 17 recorded in the 75-100 range so a few really bad ones due to any number of reasons could skew that stat a little no idea about the 150-175 though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

Tipping along nicely in a WGC for a 20h/c

• Registered Users Posts: 17,978 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Paired with Woods this evening at 18.35, should be interesting!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    :confused: Listed with HaoTong Li

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Tyson Fury wrote: »

I think that is next weeks PGA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,978 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I think that is next weeks PGA

Ah OK, that makes sense.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

kiers47 wrote: »
    Tipping along nicely in a WGC for a 20h/c
    I hope you lads don't miss greens they way you are missing the point here but here's hoping he can start converting more of his advantage off the tee into shots gained.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

First Up wrote: »
    I hope you lads don't miss greens they way you are missing the point here but here's hoping he can start converting more of his advantage off the tee into shots gained.

Indeed.

What time are Harrington and Lowry out at? ;)

kiers47 wrote: »

Indeed.

What time are Harrington and Lowry out at? ;)
    Wrong thread to ask but looking at their scores, Harrington will be out much earlier than Lowry - as will GMac.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,376 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

What point is everyone missing? The one where you said some random 20h/c player is better than a 4 time major winner and former world #1 with a wedge?!

• Advertisement

fullstop wrote: »

What point is everyone missing? The one where you said some random 20h/c player is better than a 4 time major winner and former world #1 with a wedge?!
    That someone who drives it as well as he does shouldn't be left with 6-8 footers for par and giving over a shot back to the entire field with his approaches as he did yesterday.

He said much the same after his round so maybe you should take it up with him.

That someone who drives it as well as he does shouldn't be left with 6-8 footers for par and giving over a shot back to the entire field with his approaches as he did yesterday.

You said "I know this sounds harsh but I know 20 handicappers who are better from 100 yards in" and you were quite rightly called out on it.

Whether you realise it or not, some hacker hitting his 3rd shot on a par 4 from 100 yards and vomiting it onto the green on some bog standard parkland is not the same as playing into hard, undulating greens running at 13 on the stimp and having to try to control trajectory and spin to get the ball close.

You said "I know this sounds harsh but I know 20 handicappers who are better from 100 yards in" and you were quite rightly called out on it.

Whether you realise it or not, some hacker hitting his 3rd shot on a par 4 from 100 yards and vomiting it onto the green on some bog standard parkland is not the same as playing into hard, undulating greens running at 13 on the stimp and having to try to control trajectory and spin to get the ball close.

Gosh, I never thought of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

I think most readers can see the point being made, without taking it literally that the poster is saying a 20 handicapper might be a better wedge player. S**te like this puts people off reading threads.

In an interview after his round, McIllroy said that his wedgeplay was awful, on 2 holes he ended up 30ft from the pin, on another he missed the green completely.

davo10 wrote: »
    I think most readers can see the point being made, without taking it literally that the poster is saying a 20 handicapper might be a better wedge player. S**te like this puts people off reading threads.

In an interview after his round, McIllroy said that his wedgeplay was awful, on 2 holes he ended up 30ft from the pin, on another he missed the green completely.

Hmm no, he clarified that was exactly what he meant in later posts. If you make lucicrous statements that aren't remotely true then expect to be challenged on them.

Hmm no, he clarified that was exactly what he meant in later posts. If you make lucicrous statements that aren't remotely true then expect to be challenged on them.
    Challenge away. I think it was Nicklaus who said that missing a green with a wedge was like missing your mouth with a fork. Some of McIroys wedge play yesterday would embarrass a 20 handicap and whether you like it or not, his poor wedge play has been negating much of his advantage off the tee for quite some time.

If the player himself says his wedge play and putting isn't good enough, why go to such length to argue that there aren't higher handicap golfers out there that are better at both? There is now 3 pages of insults about a bit of hyperbole, get over it, he is not saying the 20 handicapper is a better player. Jeez, a few years ago Tiger made a remark about playing like a person with a disability, but nobody was stupid enough to take him literally. Let it go.

If the player himself says his wedge play and putting isn't good enough, why go to such length to argue that there aren't higher handicap golfers out there that are better at both? There is now 3 pages of insults about a bit of hyperbole, get over it, he is not saying the 20 handicapper is a better player. Jeez, a few years ago Tiger made a remark about playing like a person with a disability, but nobody was stupid enough to take him literally. Let it go.
    Thanks but don't worry about it. Its only Boards after all.

I don't dispute that his wedge play isn't good enough for his talent, I don't think many would. But people with half a clue know that he's still better with a wedge than 90+ percent of amateurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

still better with a wedge than 90+ percent of amateurs.

"Rory McIlroy, still better with a wedge than 90+ percent of amateurs".

I'd say nike will be all over that new slogan.

• Advertisement

GreeBo wrote: »
    still better with a wedge than 90+ percent of amateurs.

Just wait until he's better with a wedge than 90+ per cent of the players in the same tournament.

GreeBo wrote: »

Why would Nike be all over it? They don't even make golf clubs :rolleyes:

Are you debating the accuracy of the statement?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

It was a joke. Ha ha!

Well they sponsor him, right ?

Volvos are boxy too.

Well he didn't say that on Sky. He said he was working on shaping shots with three quarter and half swings and he was still having some issues. But that it was improving. He's trying to keep spin off the ball by using those kinds of shots.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Well he didn't say that on Sky. He said he was working on shaping shots with three quarter and half swings and he was still having some issues. But that it was improving. He's trying to keep spin off the ball by using those kinds of shots.

The commentators were also talking about his poor wedge play after his round yesterday...specifically brought it up in comparison to the rest of his game and when compared to the rest of the players, Jason Day for one.

I don't think they read boards.ie so maybe, just maybe he is actually a comparatively poor wedge player and its not just posters on here being Irish begrudgers?

How much shaping do you need to put on from 100 yards? The spin issue and three quarter swing is fair enough but shaping a wedge?

How much shaping do you need to put on from 100 yards? The spin issue and three quarter swing is fair enough but shaping a wedge?

In fairness he did hit a lovely shot on 18 that was a 3/4 wedge with a bit of draw.

But I'd be happier if he could hit a straight wedge consistently tbh.
    He is all over the place with his AoA it seems, distance control and direction on his short irons and less than 100% swings is poor.

Commentators yesterday were saying that he alternately gets too steep or too shallow and so the dynamic loft is too inconsistent leading to poor distance control and often direction.

"My wedge play, in terms of direction, they were pretty good, but my distance just wasn't. I hit it way down there on the eighth hole and left myself 30 feet. I hit it way down there on 13, left myself 30 feet. And I flew the green on 10 after hitting a good drive.

"There were three holes that I should have had birdie chances and I played them in one over. So I need a little bit of work on that"

Is it getting to the stage now where we literally have to quote word for word what he says just so you won't pick an argument?

• Advertisement

"My wedge play, in terms of direction, they were pretty good, but my distance just wasn't. I hit it way down there on the eighth hole and left myself 30 feet. I hit it way down there on 13, left myself 30 feet. And I flew the green on 10 after hitting a good drive.

"There were three holes that I should have had birdie chances and I played them in one over. So I need a little bit of work on that"

Is it getting to the stage now where we literally have to quote word for word what he says just so you won't pick an argument?
    Yeah. Just didn't hear (or read above) that he said it was "awful". Did he say that somewhere else?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement