Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

First Up wrote: »
    Wrong thread to ask but looking at their scores, Harrington will be out much earlier than Lowry - as will GMac.

Apologies I was trying to be a smart arse and it blew up in my face.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Much better with his approach shots today. Left a few putts out there (nothing new) but at least he was missing for birdies.

Don't know what remedial action he took but it mostly worked

Nice round today. Solid so far with only 2 bogeys this week both yesterday. Lowest in the field for bogeys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Rory's opening hole... 324yd drive leaving 63yrds to hole. He then hits it to 32 feet. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

His driving accuracy has not been good all season. It's been atrocious today.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Pa8301

He must be the most frustrating golfer to be a fan of. Followed closely by Rickie Fowler.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Looks like Rory is s....ing on the eggs,+3 after 10 gone back to 8 under.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭Panrich

Through the back of the green from 81 yards there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Ohh look, Jason Day put a ball in the water .....from 65 yards.

Pros are human after all.

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Ohh look, Jason Day put a ball in the water .....from 65 yards.

Pros are human after all.

Somebody create a Jason Day thread so we can spend 20 pages trolling people. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

So he Said he didn't like coming 2nd. Did well to stay inside the top 10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Just finished, T51, the other 9 players ranked in the top 10 are T20 or better at the moment (DJ may be T21 soon)., most of the top 10 are competing, a couple (Koepka/ Thomas/Day/Rahm/Fowler) have a realistic chance of winning. Woods is hovering. McIllroy is simply not at this level.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭shamrock55

I'm delighted for him

• Registered Users Posts: 17,978 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

davo10 wrote: »
    Just finished, T51, the other 9 players ranked in the top 10 are T20 or better at the moment (DJ may be T21 soon)., most of the top 10 are competing, a couple (Koepka/ Thomas/Day/Rahm/Fowler) have a realistic chance of winning. Woods is hovering. McIllroy is simply not at this level.

Was he at the level in the open when he came 2nd or is this a new level created to criticise him again?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 11,376 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Christ, what a load of absolute waffle.

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Was he at the level in the open when he came 2nd or is this a new level created to criticise him again?

At T51, ya I suppose it is criticism, considering the other 9 players in the top 10 are up there.

Going into year 5 now without a major. 2nd doesn't count for s**t for players, only the fans.

fullstop wrote: »
    Christ, what a load of absolute waffle.

It's right there on the leaderboard at the time he finished, no waffle there.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Tyson Fury wrote: »

Unfortunately it seems (at the moment at least) a top 10 is him shooting above his level.
    He didnt has his usual good 4th round to get him up the leaderboard and is still struggling with hitting greens from 100 yards out.
    He hit a sublime chip into the hole yesterday, but what on earth was he doing there from a flick away?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭Russman

At T51, ya I suppose it is criticism, considering the other 9 players in the top 10 are up there.

You do realise that in golf some weeks players play well, some weeks they don’t ?
    Adam Scott hasn’t done sh1t in years yet he’s up there, how is that ?

Russman wrote: »
    You do realise that in golf some weeks players play well, some weeks they don’t ?

They sure do, but Rory's wedge game is consistently sh1t.
    Compared to the rest of his game, its atrocious.

Putting can be streaky, but you gotta be nailing it to inside 15ft from 100 yards, not having HALF of them outside 30ft.

• Advertisement

Russman wrote: »

I agree, some players are streaky, McIllroy hit a streak 2012-14, after that his game settled down to its real level, he is one of the best, but certainly not at the level you guys think he is at.

Like McIllroy, if Scott could putt he would be near the top.

Commentator yesterday mentioned that the low spinning ball that works so well for his driving could be whats killing his wedge play.
    With such low spin he is in danger of getting fliers...though while that might explain the overshooting, it doesnt explain the big misses left and right.

Going into year 5 now without a major. 2nd doesn't count for s**t for players, only the fans.

2nd doesn't count for ****, but you're using DJ being top 21 as an example of how McIlroy can't compete? As I said, waffle.

2 years sinc DJ won a major, too. He may pack it in.

2nd doesn't count for ****, but you're using DJ being top 21 as an example of how McIlroy can't compete? As I said, waffle.

I think the point what that all other top 10 players are competing for the title, the one who isnt still is 30 spots ahead of Rory?

GreeBo wrote: »
    I think the point what that all other top 10 players are competing for the title, the one who isnt still is 30 shots ahead of Rory?

30 shots? May want to have another look at the leaderboard there bud.
    DJ missed the cut at the Open too. Lad's a hacker. That's 2 majors in a row he hasn't competed at.

30 shots? May want to have another look at the leaderboard there bud.
    Thanks for noticing the typo, pal.
    DJ missed the cut at the Open too. Lad's a hacker. That's 2 majors in a row he hasn't competed at.
    Perhaps you meant to post that in the DJ thread?

GreeBo wrote: »
    Thanks for noticing the typo, pal.

Perhaps you meant to post that in the DJ thread?

No, I didn't. DJ isn't big time enough to warrant a thread here, and after all, we're talking about the top 10 players by way of comparison :)

2 years sinc DJ won a major, too. He may pack it in.

How am I using DJ as an example he can't compete?, read my post again, at the time the other 9 players in the top 10 were T20 or better when McIllroy finished.

DJ is number 1 because he his overall performance makes him so at the moment. Why would be pack it in? At the moment he is world number one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭Russman

I agree, some players are streaky, McIllroy hit a streak 2012-14, after that his game settled down to its real level, he is one of the best, but certainly not at the level you guys think he is at.

Like McIllroy, if Scott could putt he would be near the top.

"you guys" - seriously ?? wtf.....hard to know what to say to that really. Maybe it should be a Liverpool Vs Man Utd. thread :eek:

For me, Rory has played sh1t this week, no question. I mean, what had he, 4 penalty drops in today's round alone ? I think he's actually driven the ball terribly of late. Even last week at Firestone, he was hitting it sideways a lot of the time. From what I saw in the first two rounds he held out fairly well from inside 8-10 feet or thereabouts.
    Maybe he'll always be a mercurial talent that has spurts of brilliance, maybe he'll find consistency, who knows.

• Advertisement

How am I using DJ as an example he can't compete?, read my post again, at the time the other 9 players in the top 10 were T20 or better when McIllroy finished.

DJ is number 1 because he his overall performance makes him so at the moment. Why would be pack it in? At the moment he is world number one.

And McIlroy is number 5 because of his overall performance, and has the second most ranking points in 2018, but you're saying he's "not at this level". Not at what level? And who is at that level? The world's top 4?

http://www.owgr.com/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement