Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭Russman

GreeBo wrote: »
    They sure do, but Rory's wedge game is consistently sh1t.
    Compared to the rest of his game, its atrocious.

Putting can be streaky, but you gotta be nailing it to inside 15ft from 100 yards, not having HALF of them outside 30ft.

I don't disagree with any of that really. His wedges would appear to be awful. Then again he's 7th on tour in proximity from 100-125yds from the fairway, but 167th from the rough, so maybe the driver is the problem, I dunno.

The leader in proximity isn't even inside 15ft from 100-125yds, he's close though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Russman wrote: »
    I don't disagree with any of that really. His wedges would appear to be awful. Then again he's 7th on tour in proximity from 100-125yds from the fairway,.

You know the stats 150-175 and 75-100 though, they are bad, bad. His length off the tee mean he has a lot of the first on par 5's and the second on par 4's.

davo10 wrote: »
    You know the stats 150-175 and 75-100 though, they are bad, bad. His length off the tee mean he has a lot of the first on par 5's and the second on par 4's.

Totally agree with you on that. I would suggest that, IMO, despite the amount of ranking points he's won this year and 2nd at The Open, last group at Augusta, and the win at Bay Hill etc, deep down he will feel he's basically played poorly (by his own standards/expectations) all this season.

I'm watching this live on IPTV, the wedge play by the players at/near the top is incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I don't disagree with any of that really. His wedges would appear to be awful. Then again he's 7th on tour in proximity from 100-125yds from the fairway, but 167th from the rough, so maybe the driver is the problem, I dunno.

The leader in proximity isn't even inside 15ft from 100-125yds, he's close though.

Well I was specifically talking about inside 100yards, with his length Rory should have more of these than anyone else.

Leader is 11'8" but Rory is 17'7 and down in 109th (128th last week)

Thats just flat out bad for a top 5 golfer.

• Advertisement

Well I was specifically talking about inside 100yards, with his length Rory should have more of these than anyone else.

Leader is 11'8" but Rory is 17'7 and down in 109th (128th last week)

Thats just flat out bad for a top 5 golfer.

I agree, he’s poor with the wedges, relative to the other players. I actually find the stat from 100-125 (and he’s similar from 125-150) a little hard to believe given how many times we see him hit it to 40ft with a wedge, not that I’m doubting it.
    Meh, stats can be made to show anything, good or bad. I don’t think it’s any secret he’s poor with them. I mean, if he hits it to 16ft from 101 yds its very good, yet if he hits it to 16ft from 99 yds it’s poor, based on the way they split the distance categories, yet it’s basically the same shot.

You’d almost wonder how he won all those ranking points this year :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I agree, he’s poor with the wedges, relative to the other players. I actually find the stat from 100-125 (and he’s similar from 125-150) a little hard to believe given how many times we see him hit it to 40ft with a wedge, not that I’m doubting it.
    Meh, stats can be made to show anything, good or bad. I don’t think it’s any secret he’s poor with them. I mean, if he hits it to 16ft from 101 yds its very good, yet if he hits it to 16ft from 99 yds it’s poor, based on the way they split the distance categories, yet it’s basically the same shot.

I was pretty surprised at the good stats too tbh, but I think he is able to hit a full club from the longer distances and that seems to be the key.

But still, the closer you are the closer you should get....doesnt work that way for him and he really needs to address it if he wants to bag more majors.
    Its a wonder that he hasnt identified the issue on Trackman...maybe he has and he just doesnt want to change?

He is a good man for the top 5 with a good run on Sunday, sure how else did Luke Donald get to #1 on both tours :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

One thing I found odd about McIlroy last week in Ohio - didn’t see a whole lot this week - was how often he bombed it off the tee, leaving himself a flick with a wedge which often meant a longish birdie putt or up and down attempt off the back of the green.

Surely I thought the alternative was 3 wood or even iron off the tee and leave a longer, fuller approach. Don’t think that’s true about the closer you are the better as most will try to avoid that awkward 60-70 yarder. But never seemed to enter McIlroy head for whatever reason, and his driving wasn’t even particularly good to begin with!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭OEP

I was pretty surprised at the good stats too tbh, but I think he is able to hit a full club from the longer distances and that seems to be the key.

But still, the closer you are the closer you should get....doesnt work that way for him and he really needs to address it if he wants to bag more majors.
    Its a wonder that he hasnt identified the issue on Trackman...maybe he has and he just doesnt want to change?

He is a good man for the top 5 with a good run on Sunday, sure how else did Luke Donald get to #1 on both tours :D
    He's mentioned in the last couple of weeks that he's working on something with his wedge play. Hopefully he can get it sorted in the off season

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

GreeBo wrote:
    He is a good man for the top 5 with a good run on Sunday, sure how else did Luke Donald get to #1 on both tours

By winning events.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Brooks benching 140kg for reps in the gym the morning of his us open final round. I can only imagine the weight he is deadlifting and squatting.

Poor Rory squats a couple of reps at 100kg, is as lean as a knackers greyhound and he is slaughtered for “bulking” and doing too much Gym.

Be like brooks rory

• Registered Users Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I know Rory is still picking up decent pay cheques, ranking points and making good money on the tour but what has happened to him?

Seems like he's a pack player now - solid pro - might get the occasional win etc etc

But that doesn't really match with the career that Rory seemed destined to have

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

lawred2 wrote: »
    I know Rory is still picking up decent pay cheques, ranking points and making good money on the tour but what has happened to him?

Seems like he's a pack player now - solid pro - might get the occasional win etc etc

But that doesn't really match with the career that Rory seemed destined to have

When you seen tigers drive, nerve, will to win etc last night it's s world away from McIlroy right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

backspin. wrote: »
    When you seen tigers drive, nerve, will to win etc last night it's s world away from McIlroy right now.

it's unreal - Tiger could easily have been forgiven for jacking it all in but the lengths he's gone to get back competing on Sundays is seriously impressive and inspiring.

He hasn't lost an ounce of that will to win.

Rory looks like a guy to me who sees golf as a bit of a chore.

Tiger's charge on Sunday was in the same mould as Rory's charge on the last day in Carnoustie. The similarities of both is that neither of them won! (Much like the Open, the winner is pretty much ignored.....twice!)

Not exactly a world away from each other! Despite the common criticism of Rory, and the adulation given towards Tiger, Rory has a win to his name this year! People would be doing well to take their blinkers off!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

ligerdub wrote: »
    Tiger's charge on Sunday was in the same mould as Rory's charge on the last day in Carnoustie. The similarities of both is that neither of them won! (Much like the Open, the winner is pretty much ignored.....twice!)

Not exactly a world away from each other! Despite the common criticism of Rory, and the adulation given towards Tiger, Rory has a win to his name this year! People would be doing well to take their blinkers off!

I disagree, Rory was letting the head go down early in his round. Tiger never does that.

How often do you see tiger let the head go down. Do you seriously think Rory displays the same will to win as Tiger?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

I really dont get the bickering over who is better. I enjoy a lot of golfers for very different reasons. If all golfers played the same or had the same personalities then who in the name of f*ck would watch it.
    Its hard for golf to compete with the intensity of other sports so the different characters make it for me. We don't have to choose sides surely? :D

I disagree, Rory was letting the head go down early in his round. Tiger never does that.

How often do you see tiger let the head go down. Do you seriously think Rory displays the same will to win as Tiger?

Carnoustie for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,985 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

some of the comments in here really are daft :rolleyes:

ligerdub wrote: »

A lot of winners this year, that's the point being made, he is one of the pack, nothing more. To equate what Woods did yesterday with the Open is just bonkers, the guy had a 64 on the final day of a major, he wasn't lucky that a 5% eagle putt dropped to put him into contention for a brief period. Woods is 43, has had multiple long lay offs due to injury, but his capacity to get back to this level and compete is astonishing.

• Advertisement

Seve OB wrote: »
    some of the comments in here really are daft :rolleyes:

Totally agree, particularly the ones that say his game is good enough to win another major. Maybe it will improve.

davo10 wrote:
    A lot of winners this year, that's the point being made, he is one of the pack, nothing more. To equate what Woods did yesterday with the Open is just bonkers, the guy had a 64 on the final day of a major, he wasn't lucky that a 5% eagle putt dropped to put him into contention for a brief period. Woods is 43, has had multiple long lay offs due to injury, but his capacity to get back to this level and compete is astonishing.

You're right they can't be compared, for starters the Open was playing tougher than the PGA.

Two others in the field had a 64 yesterday. Is anyone waxing lyrical about them? No. It's a par 70 also let's not forget. Tiger had a great burst of holes yesterday, but golf has 72 hole tournaments. There's no shame in 2nd whoever you are, but you'd swear Woods had won by tournament by double digits!

It's very similar, you just choose to ignore it because you've chosen to take sides in something nobody even needs to take sides in. There seems to be a strong correlation between those losing the run of themselves in the Tiger thread and those giving the career last rites to Rory McIlroy.

The injuries and age with Tiger add to the story, but that's the Hollywood stuff. Yes it's interesting, he has done very very well. But this use of him to have a pop at Rory is fairly unnecessary and more importantly inaccurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,976 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Totally agree, particularly the ones that say his game is good enough to win another major. Maybe it will improve.

Jaysus he almost one the open this year and was in the final group at the masters. He's not far off despite his wedge play and putting being so poor which he's acknowledged and working on. He's not got a god given right to be winning majors, he needs to work hard like everyone else and its hard.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I know a 20 handicapper that hits more fairways than tiger......

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Jaysus he almost one the open this year and was in the final group at the masters. He's not far off despite his wedge play and putting being so poor which he's acknowledged and working on. He's not got a god given right to be winning majors, he needs to work hard like everyone else and its hard.

He didn his ass almost win the open this year, he was briefly in contention after a lucky eagle putt.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,985 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

or the ones who say the lads is not a world class golfer :rolleyes:

Seve OB wrote: »
    or the ones who say the lads is not a world class golfer :rolleyes:

No doubt he is a world class golfer, one of many, after all, he currently has the fifth highest number of ranking points.

Yes Rory is one of the pack now, but the pack that exists now is so much better than before. There are so many players going into every major that have a chance to win - no one is going to win the amount of majors that Tiger or Jack won in this generation. Players have hot streaks - like McIlroy had, Spieth had, Koepka is having. The pack is so deep and talented now that unless you're having that streak, you're not going to win regularly. If any of the current stock played in other generations they would be multiple major winners, not to the extent of Jack or Tiger but they're the best that have ever played the game.

I heard a good point made on the radio this morning. The money that can be made in golf now is attracting athletes that in previous generations would not have played golf or chosen it as their number one sport. People like DJ and Koepka would have played American Football or Baseball or one of the other American sports in college. Now some of those guys are choosing golf. Look at Steph Curry, if he had chosen golf at 16 he'd be one of the top guys now. There are lots of guys like him, some choose golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

For me it's quite simple. Rory's confidence inside 100y is shot. A few loose shots, a few bad putts and that's it for him. Classic example was at the masters earlier this year. Totally capitulated after 5 holes.

He is the master of sneaking up the leaderboard on the final day. Well out of contention shoots low and finishes top 10.

He never looked like winning in carnoustie despite finishing second.

I'm a big fan of Rory and always want him to win, but he needs to get the merciless hunger to win that Tiger and Spieth have. Otherwise his career is going to peter away and he will look back at what should and could have been.

• Advertisement

OEP wrote: »
    Yes Rory is one of the pack now, but the pack that exists now is so much better than before. There are so many players going into every major that have a chance to win - no one is going to win the amount of majors that Tiger or Jack won in this generation. Players have hot streaks - like McIlroy had, Spieth had, Koepka is having. The pack is so deep and talented now that unless you're having that streak, you're not going to win regularly. If any of the current stock played in other generations they would be multiple major winners, not to the extent of Jack or Tiger but they're the best that have ever played the game.

I heard a good point made on the radio this morning. The money that can be made in golf now is attracting athletes that in previous generations would not have played golf or chosen it as their number one sport. People like DJ and Koepka would have played American Football or Baseball or one of the other American sports in college. Now some of those guys are choosing golf. Look at Steph Curry, if he had chosen golf at 16 he'd be one of the top guys now. There are lots of guys like him, some choose golf.

Exactly, he is now one of many, but unless he improves, how will he win? There has always been good players, but McIllroy was better in 2012-14 than he is now, his game has fallen back to its real level.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement