Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭OEP

davo10 wrote: »
    OEP wrote: »
    Yes Rory is one of the pack now, but the pack that exists now is so much better than before. There are so many players going into every major that have a chance to win - no one is going to win the amount of majors that Tiger or Jack won in this generation. Players have hot streaks - like McIlroy had, Spieth had, Koepka is having. The pack is so deep and talented now that unless you're having that streak, you're not going to win regularly. If any of the current stock played in other generations they would be multiple major winners, not to the extent of Jack or Tiger but they're the best that have ever played the game.

I heard a good point made on the radio this morning. The money that can be made in golf now is attracting athletes that in previous generations would not have played golf or chosen it as their number one sport. People like DJ and Koepka would have played American Football or Baseball or one of the other American sports in college. Now some of those guys are choosing golf. Look at Steph Curry, if he had chosen golf at 16 he'd be one of the top guys now. There are lots of guys like him, some choose golf.

Exactly, he is now one of many, but unless he improves, how will he win? There has always been good players, but McIllroy was better in 2012-14 than he is now, his game has fallen back to its real level.
    Well he'll win by improving, which is something he's working on I'd imagine. If can figure out the wedge, he'll be a long way to winning again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭Russman

. To equate what Woods did yesterday with the Open is just bonkers, the guy had a 64 on the final day of a major, he wasn't lucky that a 5% eagle putt dropped to put him into contention for a brief period. Woods is 43, has had multiple long lay offs due to injury, but his capacity to get back to this level and compete is astonishing.

What exactly did Woods do yesterday ? If it was Rory, people might say it was just his usual good final round for a back door top 5 finish. Just shows how different perspectives work.
    Tiger played some great golf and fair play to him, but if we're brutally honest, when the heat was on, he flared it off into the hazard on 17 with the driver and that was that. He was never getting to -16 regardless.

It doesn't have to be one or other of them, we can celebrate/criticise both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Russman wrote: »
    What exactly did Woods do yesterday ? If it was Rory, people might say it was just his usual good final round for a back door top 5 finish. Just shows how different perspectives work.
    Tiger played some great golf and fair play to him, but if we're brutally honest, when the heat was on, he flared it off into the hazard on 17 with the driver and that was that. He was never getting to -16 regardless.

Agree, I think you have to appreciate what woods did in the context of what has gone before, the lay off, the injuries, the fact that no one gave him a chance. According to the commentary last night, he had 6 birdies after hitting a 9 iron, the shot on the 3rd (I think) where he was beside the water, ball above feet, was incredible. He is competing against golfers who are now better than him, but he keeps going to the end. That drive on the par 5 was a shame. But you are right about one thing, winner is winner, no one cares about second, he didn't get the job done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

I don't think anyone that is a fan of Rory is or was not a fan of Tiger at some point. His brilliance was unrivaled and it is most likely the reason most of us are either golf fans or players or both.
    He was brilliant god he still shows some of that brilliance now. But that was 5+ years ago. The golf demographic has changed a lot. Of that time in the last 5 years i don't think anyone can argue that Rory has been one of the top 3 best golfers in the world. Possibly the best but its a close run thing and i wouldn't want to start on argument on the minor details.

Rory is a bit different though. He is a graduate of the GUI has won a whole host of prestigious amateur events in this country. He is one of us. Obviously not for me because i started later in life. But for any young kid starting out in Ireland with the GUI. He is the idol. Of course we will defend him. I don't think anyone here has said that he cant improve from where he is now.

He may not be good enough for you but we will continue to support him even if he is struggling to make cuts.

*Im not saying that Rory is different and is better by the way. Im saying that we are allowed to enjoy and support both without having to pick our favorite child.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Shane Ryan of Golf Digest fame and "Slaying the Tiger" wrote a very good article about him in GD just before the PGA. Well worth a read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Derek Zoolander

Russman wrote: »

Woods yesterday gave one of the best displays ever of how to score on a golf course without having Rory's ability off the tee...

He was 3 under without hitting a fairway on the front nine - then still rescued par after a dreadful tee shot on 17th and finished with a birdie. He absolutely got the most out of that round, led the field in shots gained on approach.

Its world's apart than a backdoor top 5.

kiers47 wrote: »
    I don't think anyone that is a fan of Rory is or was not a fan of Tiger at some point. His brilliance was unrivaled and it is most likely the reason most of us are either golf fans or players or both.
    He was brilliant god he still shows some of that brilliance now. But that was 5+ years ago. The golf demographic has changed a lot. Of that time in the last 5 years i don't think anyone can argue that Rory has been one of the top 3 best golfers in the world. Possibly the best but its a close run thing and i wouldn't want to start on argument on the minor details.

Rory is a bit different though. He is a graduate of the GUI has won a whole host of prestigious amateur events in this country. He is one of us. Obviously not for me because i started later in life. But for any young kid starting out in Ireland with the GUI. He is the idol. Of course we will defend him. I don't think anyone here has said that he cant improve from where he is now.

He may not be good enough for you but we will continue to support him even if he is struggling to make cuts.

*Im not saying that Rory is different and is better by the way. Im saying that we are allowed to enjoy and support both without having to pick our favorite child.

Agreed, but at the same time, others are not required to agree with you, it seems like any desenting voice is deserving of derision.

I think he is very good, world class, but no more than one of the pack, he has to rely on a streak rather than overall good play and mental strength. He gives up too easily on many occasions and many of his top 10 placings owe more to good final days when he is way behind the winner and the pressure is off. There.

Agreed, but at the same time, others are not required to agree with you, it seems like any desenting voice is deserving of derision.

I think he is very good, world class, but no more than one of the pack, he has to rely on a streak rather than overall good play and mental strength. He gives up too easily on many occasions and many of his top 10 placings owe more to good final days when he is way behind the winner and the pressure is off. There.

I never said everyone should agree. The world would be boring if everyone agreed.

But we are also allowed argue our point if we believe something without being called delusional which has gone on here and in other threads.

But anyway i have given up on that arguing now tbh. Its a waste of my time. So we can agree to disagree.

I think it's when the dissenting voice is bordering on hyperbole, it gets derision. But this is boards so what other way would it be!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,976 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

He didn his ass almost win the open this year, he was briefly in contention after a lucky eagle putt.

Was top of the leaderboard with 5 to play. That's close enough in my book anyway.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Was top of the leaderboard with 5 to play. That's close enough in my book anyway.

Was that when he had 5 to play? After the eagle putt dropped, how long did he stay there?

Was that when he had 5 to play? After the eagle putt dropped, how long did he stay there?

Until the end. He finished T2nd. :cool: Close enough just 1 lad made a couple more birdies than him

Until the end. He finished T2nd. :cool: Close enough just 1 lad made a couple more birdies than him

He was top of the leaderboard "until the end"?

He was top of the leaderboard "until the end"?

Honestly im just messing with you. Dont get so worked up. ;)

There are parts of his game to be Critical about but I don't see the need for people to over blow his weaknesses (like comparing his wedge play to a 20 handicapper) or downplaying his finishing positions in tournaments.

I do think his edge off the tee was a lot bigger when he was first on tour and he has been caught by some people in that regard but that shouldn't be a negative against him either. He is still one of the best drivers of the ball in the world.

He's had his best major season since his 2 wins in 2014 and won the Arnold Palmer invitational with is one of the more difficult ones as a lot of the big names turn up to it.

I'm not a McIlroy fan per say but I would prefer to see him when over most (monetary gains aside) and find a lot of the criticism of him very over the top

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

There are parts of his game to be Critical about but I don't see the need for people to over blow his weaknesses (like comparing his wedge play to a 20 handicapper) or downplaying his finishing positions in tournaments.

I do think his edge off the tee was a lot bigger when he was first on tour and he has been caught by some people in that regard but that shouldn't be a negative against him either. He is still one of the best drivers of the ball in the world.

He's had his best major season since his 2 wins in 2014 and won the Arnold Palmer invitational with is one of the more difficult ones as a lot of the big names turn up to it.

I'm not a McIlroy fan per say but I would prefer to see him when over most (monetary gains aside) and find a lot of the criticism of him very over the top

His weaknesses are only highlighted because some on here refuse to acknowledge them and still say he is the best in the world "Most majors won in the last X years" yadda yadda.

There is no doubt is in the top 10 players, but he its further from #1 he is getting, not closer imo.

I really don't see how criticism of his short game is over the top, he acknowledges it himself. He also acknowledges that he hasn't won as often as he should and that his 2012-14 form was a streak, rather than a reflection of his true talent. I don't criticise him because a I don't like him, like him, I believe he could and should be better than he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

A three year streak :D your comedy gold son, keep it up!

It's almost certainly my national bias, and not at all based on current form, but I still think McIlroy can rediscover his best and win a few more majors. His putting, while still bad, has improved this year I think. If he can figure out his wedges in the off season, that might be enough to kick start things again. If he starts hitting wedges close, I guarantee you his putting will improve because his confidence will be up, but this might just be wishful thinking on my part.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,985 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

If there is one guy out there who has the game and potential to win a bucket load more majors, it's Rory. It's a pretty indisputable fact.

Will he though? Perhaps he will and maybe he won't, for a multitude of reasons I'm sure.

Is he the best Driver of a golf ball we have ever seen?...... Probably.
    Could his long game be better...... Yes
    Could his short game be better....... Hell yes
    Could his attitude be better......... 10 fold.
    Has he the drive and ambition to do it......somewhat........ But it clearly could be better.

Was he ever a world class golfer? Of course....... But some people think he got lucky.

Is he still a world class golfer? Of course he is, but again, some people are delusional.

Does he care what we think...... No.

Am I bovered?....................... No :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭londonred

OEP wrote: »
    It's almost certainly my national bias, and not at all based on current form, but I still think McIlroy can rediscover his best and win a few more majors. His putting, while still bad, has improved this year I think. If he can figure out his wedges in the off season, that might be enough to kick start things again. If he starts hitting wedges close, I guarantee you his putting will improve because his confidence will be up, but this might just be wishful thinking on my part.

This year majors winners had no equipment contract Brooks won yesterday with TM Driver , Mizuno irons , titleist vokey wedges and pro v1x balls , Rory is handicapped by TM wedges and golf balls but then he chose a lump sum upfront to sign for them.

ziggy wrote: »

I don't like him and hope he never wins another tournament, not even the monthly medal at Hollywood.

But I can still recognise the lad is one of the best golfers the world has ever seen.

Anyone who thinks otherwise, and there does appear to be a few..….. well they clearly are not very intelligent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭benny79

Seve OB wrote: »
    If there is one guy out there who has the game and potential to win a bucket load more majors, it's Rory. It's a pretty indisputable fact.

Will he though? Perhaps he will and maybe he won't, for a multitude of reasons I'm sure.

Is he the best Driver of a golf ball we have ever seen?...... Probably.
    Could his long game be better...... Yes
    Could his short game be better....... Hell yes
    Could his attitude be better......... 10 fold.
    Has he the drive and ambition to do it......somewhat........ But it clearly could be better.

Was he ever a world class golfer? Of course....... But some people think he got lucky.

Is he still a world class golfer? Of course he is, but again, some people are delusional.

Does he care what we think...... No.

Am I bovered?....................... No :)

Best post in the thread sums it up really.

People forget Golf is hard and its fine margins at their level.

londonred wrote: »
    This year majors winners had no equipment contract Brooks won yesterday with TM Driver , Mizuno irons , titleist vokey wedges and pro v1x balls , Rory is handicapped by TM wedges and golf balls but then he chose a lump sum upfront to sign for them.

We had a Nike clothes grand slam and a no equipment sponsor grand slam this year.

ziggy wrote: »

go away & cop on will ya

Pogue eile wrote: »

I was waiting to see who would bite, I thought it would be the usual suspects, but here it is, McIllroy himself said it.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/golf/rory-mcilroy-accepts-major-streak-was-above-his-normal-level-856222.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,358 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Pogue eile wrote: »

Gary player won 4 of his majors between 1958 and 1962. Over the next 6 years he only picked up one major before kicking off again in 1968 and winning another 4 over 6 years. Rory has loads of time to add to his tally

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement