Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

started off a bit ropey again today by the looks of it, but like myself this morning, he managed to steady the ship and finish with a flourish on the back 9. top ten beckons alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 52,009 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

He should easily make the top 10 now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Nobody's really made a move. Lead is still -12 which keeps it fairly open. What are the chances of Rory making another last day charge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

Shot 63 thur with a double. Could easily do it again. 64 could easily get him into a playoff if not win, CMON RORY!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Just a reminder from the Charter Lads.
    Discussing Players Nationalities
    It is forbidden to post discussions about what Nationality a player is or who they should play for. This is purely the players decision and does not belong on this forum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

For the hard of hearing, there is no discussion allowed on this forum about a players nationality or who they have or have not declared for.

Next one is a ban.
    Arguing with a moderators decisions on thread is also a bannable offence.
    There is a feedback thread for this sort of thing.

For anyone who doesn't believe the concerns we have on this topic, take a look at the comments on "my golf society's" page on facebook. Some of the comments are outrageous. That is not going to happen here.

charlieIRL wrote: »
    For anyone who doesn't believe the concerns we have on this topic, take a look at the comments on "my golf society's" page on facebook. Some of the comments are outrageous. That is not going to happen here.

Or the comments section of the indo :(

rrpc wrote: »
    Or the comments section of the indo :(

exactly, its a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Anatom

Glad to see his clubs finally turned up, although I hear his hurling skills during yesterday's pro-am were something to behold. There's an idea for an alternative game - anyone for "gorling"?!?!?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

He is having one of those off days. Only two players behind him on the course. We won't know how poor it is until we see the afternoon scoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭slingerz

The Peanut wrote: »
    He is having one of those off days. Only two players behind him on the course. We won't know how poor it is until we see the afternoon scoring.

Yep didnt start off the tournament well. 10 shots off the lead at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

After missing the cut last year I was sure he'd improve this year. Disappointing performance so far.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Wow +3 after shooting a 63 yesterday in the pro-am let's hope he is around for the weekend as he is the big draw.

Wow +3 after shooting a 63 yesterday in the pro-am let's hope he is around for the weekend as he is the big draw.
    Seems to be the normal starting on the back 9 result :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭slingerz

Seems to be the normal starting on the back 9 result :eek:

well i'm going down tomorrow so hopefully i catch him having his usual front 9 starting round so tomorrow!

slingerz wrote: »
    well i'm going down tomorrow so hopefully i catch him having his usual front 9 starting round so tomorrow!
    He probably will. It's almost like clockwork now that he has a poor result when he starts on the back 9. The cut could be as low as -2 or -3 so he'll have to play his socks off tomorrow.

Back to number one in the world again. :D

Interesting to see that there are no US golfers in the top 5 and only 4 in the top 10; one of whom is Tiger Woods.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

Rory has now passed Darren Clarke on total ET career earnings to date:eek:

That's a ridiculous stat, he is in 9th on the all time list now almost €9.5m behind Ernie however you would expect if he can keep this level of golf up he will be passing him in the next 2/3 years.

He may not dominate like Tiger, but I think he will dominate the ET like Seve if he remains a member.

ssbob wrote: »
    Rory has now passed Darren Clarke on total ET career earnings to date:eek:

That's a ridiculous stat, he is in 9th on the all time list now almost €9.5m behind Ernie however you would expect if he can keep this level of golf up he will be passing him in the next 2/3 years.

He may not dominate like Tiger, but I think he will dominate the ET like Seve if he remains a member.

It's hard to know how his career will pan out. He's dominating now like he did in 2012 only with more experience and ruthlessness. He took only five holes to completely demolish Garcia yesterday and kept his cool even when Garcia came back at him. If he can stay in that mood, the season could be huge for him. He's odds on to take his second major of the season and who would bet against him for the Masters next year?

It's fascinating to watch, that's for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

It's hard to know how his career will pan out. He's dominating now like he did in 2012 only with more experience and ruthlessness. He took only five holes to completely demolish Garcia yesterday and kept his cool even when Garcia came back at him. If he can stay in that mood, the season could be huge for him. He's odds on to take his second major of the season and who would bet against him for the Masters next year?

It's fascinating to watch, that's for sure.

He is not odds on for the PGA. He is favourite, but not odds on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Jimdagym wrote: »
    He is not odds on for the PGA. He is favourite, but not odds on.

Smashing_Me_by_BuzzKillingtonplz.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Benny Cake wrote: »
    Smashing_Me_by_BuzzKillingtonplz.jpg

Call me buzz all you want to, it's misleading to say he is odds on.

Jimdagym wrote: »
    Call me buzz all you want to, it's misleading to say he is odds on.

Without wishing to appear pedantic myself, I didn't use the phrase in the betting sense but in the colloquial one ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭charlieharper

I thought it would've been great for golf had Garcia won that because that would've given him confidence to challenge Rory in the coming years but unfortunately it was obvious Garcia would choke would Rory only 3 shots back. Now there's no stopping Rory because no one can currently reach the level he can but he won't reach Wood's record of 14 majors but I can bet he'll be mighty close, maybe 11 or 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

I thought it would've been great for golf had Garcia won that because that would've given him confidence to challenge Rory in the coming years but unfortunately it was obvious Garcia would choke would Rory only 3 shots back. Now there's no stopping Rory because no one can currently reach the level he can but he won't reach Wood's record of 14 majors but I can bet he'll be mighty close, maybe 11 or 12.

The only thing you would question is has he the same hunger Tiger to try and reach 20 majors. He may compleat the grand slam next April and then decide he has acheived all he needs to and decide to take it easy.
    He is pretty much un beatable in the form he is in at the moment and like he did in the open once he gets the lead he is playing to the middle of greens and saying to the pack i'm making no mistakes come and get me if you can just like tiger in his prime.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

What I find remarkable and refreshingly admirable (or even admirably refreshing) is McIlroy's disarming dissection of his own mental state in the full glare of the media.

I've never seen another sportsperson do this the way he does.
    It's like he is so talented he can openly discuss what's going on in his head.
    It's like he uses this candour as an asset rather than a drawback.
    Which is extraordinary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bobwilliams

I thought it would've been great for golf had Garcia won that because that would've given him confidence to challenge Rory in the coming years but unfortunately it was obvious Garcia would choke would Rory only 3 shots back. .

was it also obvious that Rory would come out and birdie his last few holes of round 3 and the first 3 of round 4? Call it a choke if you want but he was still not far off and it was more Rory's magic play rather than a choke.

I don't believe Garcia's sheite reverse phycology regarding not being good enough to win a major.he's trying to take the pressure off himself that's all.

There are only 4 majors a year,anyone who says Westwood,garcia etc will never win a major are talking sheite, the chances are they won't but look at the list of major winners in the past,sometimes like Ogilvy you post a score and on that occasion Monty and Phil handed it to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

When he's able to clear his head mid - round like that and blitz the place it goes to show how far he's come since Augusta. What did Jack say to him? Mcginley made a good point in saying Rory ' s playing golf for Rory now and not to suit expectations of him. Driver 9 iron, 507 yard er demolished!

• Advertisement

When he's able to clear his head mid - round like that and blitz the place it goes to show how far he's come since Augusta. What did Jack say to him? Mcginley made a good point in saying Rory ' s playing golf for Rory now and not to suit expectations of him. Driver 9 iron, 507 yard er demolished!
    I think Jack told him (among other things) to be more ruthless and not give any hope to the opposition. To react immediately to every good score from an opponent and play each shot like it was a tournament winning one.

It seems to be working. ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement