Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭dball

Personally i never warmed towards RM ever - i though he was an (my oul fellas terminology) ignorant pup.
    Anytime i watched golf in the past 4 or 5 years and there was a piece on McIlroy I just ignored it - I had no interest in what others thought of him and really couldn't care less if he won or lost.

In the past 3 weeks I have turned a corner and have seen an amazing display of skill on the course, im starting to admire his achievements and his victories.

Last night watching come off a dbl bogey and a bogey with a run of birdies was exceptional, fair play Rory.

Id still love to see Sergio or Fowler in the last group on Sunday with him
    Maybe even Lowry!

Keep it going :eek:- there I said it!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Have to say i hated the coverage Tiger get's but now i understand. To watch Rory play every shot for the round is super and upset I can record the coverage of him today to watch tonight.
    On The Lowery thread someone suggested that Rory would play with Gmac in the RC i reckon it won't happen Gmac has been saying all season he would love to play with Dubuisson in the Ryder cup.
    Sergio and Rory would be a super 4ball/4somes pairing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

mike12 wrote: »
    Have to say i hated the coverage Tiger get's but now i understand. To watch Rory play every shot for the round is super and upset I can record the coverage of him today to watch tonight.
    On The Lowery thread someone suggested that Rory would play with Gmac in the RC i reckon it won't happen Gmac has been saying all season he would love to play with Dubuisson in the Ryder cup.
    Sergio and Rory would be a super 4ball/4somes pairing.

That someone has insider knowledge;)

As for
    The Lowery thread
    I didn't know we had a thread on Steve Lowery:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

This time 3 weeks ago a lot of people where whinging(IMO stupidly) about Rory not signing an autograph for a fan who rushed him from behind while walking off the 18th!!!!

Let's see what they have to say about this story from Thursday.....

McIlroy also impressed one father of two young fans after the round. Timothy Campbell and his son, Jonah, and daughter, Maggie, followed much of McIlroy’s second nine Thursday at Valhalla. They then crossed path with the World No. 1 at a local gas station, where he posed for a photo and signed an autograph. Here’s an excerpt from the blog post on vaughtsviews.com:

“(After the round), my wife picked the three of us up and we headed toward Louisville on Shelbyville Rd. to fill up the gas tank and get dinner. As we pulled into the Thornton’s just down from Valhalla, I noticed someone wearing the same shirt and hat that Rory wore today, did a double-take, and realized it was actually Rory McIlroy.

He had just stepped out of the driver’s seat of his 'PGA Official' Mercedes-Benz silver SUV. He was going to pump the gas himself, but his cell phone rang and he got back in the SUV. My wife pulled our car into the gas pump right in front of his. As I hopped out of our car, Rory’s caddie hopped out of the SUV. Rory sat in the driver’s seat and finished his call. Maggie got out of our car and I handed her my PGA Ticket and a pen and told her, 'Now is your chance.' She didn’t waste it.

Maggie asked the caddy if she could approach Rory, and he said 'Sure.' She then motioned to Rory, and he smiled and waved her toward him. She said, “Hi, I’m Maggie, how are you?” Rory said, “Oh, I’m a little tired, but feel pretty good. I had a good day today (66), could have been better.”

Rory signed the ticket with a Sharpie pen he had in the SUV. Maggie wished him good luck, and about that time I wandered over with my iPhone camera. I said hello and asked if he minded if I took a photo of him and Maggie. He smiled and said, 'Sure, that would be great,' in his charming Northern Irish lilt.

I took a few photos and wished him good luck.”

Campbell left impressed with McIlroy, concluding the blog by saying:

“He’s the #1 golfer in the world and more importantly a fine young man. Those two don’t always go together. He could have easily ignored us and we would have understood — after all, he is trying to win a major championship. But he didn’t ignore us because he has character and recognizes the importance and his responsibility as an ambassador of the game. He took just a minute of his time to create an experience that we won’t forget.

The man is one of the best drivers in golf, drives his own car and was going to pump his own gas. And he’s even driving on the wrong side of the road compared to how he learned to drive in Northern Ireland. Success has not gone to his head, and I hope that it never does. If he keeps his feet on the ground, it’s hard to say how much of his potential that he will achieve.”

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭searay

For the past three weeks all golf commentators have been talking about how great his driving has been and this blogger has nailed the most important point....

Rory learned to drive on the other side of the road!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,031 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

searay wrote: »
    For the past three weeks all golf commentators have been talking about how great his driving has been and this blogger has nailed the most important point....

Rory learned to drive on the other side of the road!

So that's why he called the marriage off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Interesting stat: Of McIlroy's professional wins, exactly a quarter of them are majors.

Not sure if anyone else has that kind of quality in their CV.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

ForeRight wrote: »
    This time 3 weeks ago a lot of people where whinging(IMO stupidly) about Rory not signing an autograph for a fan who rushed him from behind while walking off the 18th!!!!

Let's see what they have to say about this story from Thursday.....

Using a mobile on a petrol station forecourt. Pure evil! :pac:

Didn't he get back in the car to take the call? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Over the last few weeks he has been self combusting in fairness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

For my money, his best win yet. A win he really had to actually go out and fight for, with a few people in contention and of course being a Major, it made that fight a lot more interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Blistering few weeks.

Will hopefully ignore the urge to tweak his game further, or suggestions from coaches to change. Playing incredible golf and everything looks right at the moment. REALLY hope he doesn't start tinkering now in that stupid search for perfection.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

TheDoc wrote: »
    Blistering few weeks.

Will hopefully ignore the urge to tweak his game further, or suggestions from coaches to change. Playing incredible golf and everything looks right at the moment. REALLY hope he doesn't start tinkering now in that stupid search for perfection.

He said in the press conference he has a few things in his swing to work on :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭cormacjones

His bunker play was very poor this week. He can definitely work on that.

Blistering few weeks.

He doesn't seem to be that kind of guy. Has the same coach since he started and there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with his game. He went to Dave Stockton for some putting work but that's about the limit of it.

All the doubts must be gone from his mind now. He's won big tournaments every way possible; leading from the front, by big margins and small. Coming from behind from a distance and close in and now leading and being overtaken and working his way back.

Those trophies would look good with a green blazer :D

Buu2Vd3IAAEqtG2.jpg

I just don't get overly worked up or ahead of myself when it comes to golfers, and I think plenty of places are getting ahead of themselves. Newstalk on lunch had a "How many majors can Rory win?"

Des Smyth saying he can dominate the game for a decade. You only look like a wally making this judgements and assumptions.

You'd literally think Tiger never existed. In the same field in this event, is the PERFECT example, the PRIME example of someone who reached the top, and through circumstances with his private life, swing changes, the search for perfection, and injury, has completely toppled from once an unshakeable throne.

There is good calls for McIlroy to have a successful career, with more majors to come. But this constant search for " who will beat Nicklaus record" is getting stale at this point.

I find it hard to warm to him as an individual, but really enjoy his play, his irons and just about everything with his game. But all it will take is one tweak to far for him to fall of the face of the earth.

If anything the last few weeks have put Tigers fall into even more sharp perspective, and made me somewhat upset watching a great fall at such a low. Was watching some of the this weekends golf with my Da who was a massive Seve fan, and he said watching Tiger at present was like watching Seve at the end. I'm not calling it a day for Tiger, but it should stand as a real and pertinent example not just to McIlroy, but for everyone involved in golf, at how quickly it can all tumble apart.

rrpc wrote: »
    He doesn't seem to be that kind of guy. Has the same coach since he started and there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with his game. He went to Dave Stockton for some putting work but that's about the limit of it.

There was nothing wrong with Tiger when he was moping up everything in sight.
    Harrington had just won two majors and felt the need to change.

The problem with professional golf is that when it starts going good and a few wins get under their belt, either the player, or more predominantly the coach, get convinced to stay ahead they need to tweak their swing.

The problem being that there is only so much you can do with a swing. And in comes new untried techniques, coaches trying to forge a name for themselves in the game.

There is a pretty substantial list of players who were at the peak of their powers, succumbed to the search for perfection, or fell foul to false prophet coaches, and just feel into a black abyss.

Hopefully McIlroy can resist temptation for wholesale changes.

I think the most positive thing for him, is that after a real struggle to adjust to the new Nike equipment, he's come out blazing on the other end. Nike must be rubbing their hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

I just don't get overly worked up or ahead of myself when it comes to golfers, and I think plenty of places are getting ahead of themselves. Newstalk on lunch had a "How many majors can Rory win?"

Des Smyth saying he can dominate the game for a decade. You only look like a wally making this judgements and assumptions.

You'd literally think Tiger never existed. In the same field in this event, is the PERFECT example, the PRIME example of someone who reached the top, and through circumstances with his private life, swing changes, the search for perfection, and injury, has completely toppled from once an unshakeable throne.

There is good calls for McIlroy to have a successful career, with more majors to come. But this constant search for " who will beat Nicklaus record" is getting stale at this point.

I find it hard to warm to him as an individual, but really enjoy his play, his irons and just about everything with his game. But all it will take is one tweak to far for him to fall of the face of the earth.

If anything the last few weeks have put Tigers fall into even more sharp perspective, and made me somewhat upset watching a great fall at such a low. Was watching some of the this weekends golf with my Da who was a massive Seve fan, and he said watching Tiger at present was like watching Seve at the end. I'm not calling it a day for Tiger, but it should stand as a real and pertinent example not just to McIlroy, but for everyone involved in golf, at how quickly it can all tumble apart.
    It never ceases to amaze how jealousy manifests itself, McIlroy is at the peaks of his powers and you're already scripting his demise, now that is impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Martin567

It never ceases to amaze how jealousy manifests itself, McIlroy is at the peaks of his powers and you're already scripting his demise, now that is impressive.

Seems like a complete misunderstanding of TheDoc's post. It all seemed perfectly reasonable to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

The problem with professional golf is that when it starts going good and a few wins get under their belt, either the player, or more predominantly the coach, get convinced to stay ahead they need to tweak their swing.

The problem being that there is only so much you can do with a swing. And in comes new untried techniques, coaches trying to forge a name for themselves in the game.

There is a pretty substantial list of players who were at the peak of their powers, succumbed to the search for perfection, or fell foul to false prophet coaches, and just feel into a black abyss.

I think the most positive thing for him, is that after a real struggle to adjust to the new Nike equipment, he's come out blazing on the other end. Nike must be rubbing their hands.

I don't agree with this. For most golfers, they will never have a perfect swing. It will always be about fighting fires. They may sort out whatever problem they have and play great golf for a few weeks, or even a few months, but eventually a new problem will develop and that will have to be ironed out. It's not a case of Rory just leaving everything as it is and living happily ever after. Mark my words, it won't happen.

Of course just because a small problem develops doesn't mean they should rip it all up and rebuild their swing. They will need to keep some continuity with their swing long term. But there will always be something to work on. It would be a boring game otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Blistering few weeks.

i just never understand why golfers change things when theres nothing wrong i get the perfectionist thing but leave it alone i think thats whats ruined Harringtons later career

Good post and some very good points. Woods in particular may be reaping the downside of the quest for power that he embarked on in his early career. There are many who say (and said at the time) that the changes he made were bound to end in injury.

I wonder though if you asked him now would he still have made those changes? I suspect he would say yes.

I think you completely mistook the point being made from my post. I don't have an issue with his success, I've an issue with people heralding him, now, as someone who will dominate the game for decades, and surpass records.

It something that is not specific to golf, every sport has it, but it doesn't make it any less stupid.
    Ormus wrote: »
    I don't agree with this. For most golfers, they will never have a perfect swing. It will always be about fighting fires. They may sort out whatever problem they have and play great golf for a few weeks, or even a few months, but eventually a new problem will develop and that will have to be ironed out. It's not a case of Rory just leaving everything as it is and living happily ever after. Mark my words, it won't happen.

Of course just because a small problem develops doesn't mean they should rip it all up and rebuild their swing. They will need to keep some continuity with their swing long term. But there will always be something to work on. It would be a boring game otherwise.

There is a difference between making some improvement, and going through fundamental swing changes.

Tiger, Harrington and Duval are three players that spring to mind who after having periods of success, underwent severe fundamental changes. I think Tiger is somewhat different, but the other two fell foul to false prophets, and the belief system that when you are on top, you need to invent something new to stay ahead.

There is only so much you can do with a golf swing, so I'm always weary when a pro touts their " new swing ".
    rrpc wrote: »
    Good post and some very good points. Woods in particular may be reaping the downside of the quest for power that he embarked on in his early career. There are many who say (and said at the time) that the changes he made were bound to end in injury.

I wonder though if you asked him now would he still have made those changes? I suspect he would say yes.

I'd imagine as you say, he would. But I think that was more because he literally had to change his swing, as his back could not sustain his old swing season on season.

I'd imagine as you say, he would. But I think that was more because he literally had to change his swing, as his back could not sustain his old swing season on season.
    I'm almost certain it was the other way around. His swing was dcotored to get more power which had a trade off in pressure on his back and left knee. I heard discussion recently that were he to go back to his 'old' swing he might get some longevity in his game at the price of distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

I think you completely mistook the point being made from my post. I don't have an issue with his success, I've an issue with people heralding him, now, as someone who will dominate the game for decades, and surpass records.

It something that is not specific to golf, every sport has it, but it doesn't make it any less stupid.

If begrudery was an olympic sport d'oirsih would win gold every time.
    Those comparisons are a natural reaction to exceptional sporting endeavors and like it or not but when those comparisons are made and they provoke negative thoughts and feelings towards the subject that is known as jealousy, you can dress it up whatever way you like but that's what it is.

• TheDoc wrote: »
    I don't have an issue with his success, I've an issue with people heralding him, now, as someone who will dominate the game for decades, and surpass records.

This is just daft. All sports, without exception, are about the quest for the greatest ever. There is always someone new, a challenger to the seemingly unattainable levels of the greatest ever in the game (golf - nicklaus/woods).

Rory is seen by many at the moment as the most natural challenger to these great players. A once in a generation type of player, blessed with raw talent, skill and determination. Hes our Messi to rival Maradonna. Our Vettel to chase Schumacher. Our Phelps against Spitz.

Its only natural that people will speculate on what he could possibly achieve throughout the rest of his career. Its the true beauty of sports, that we can follow the trials and tribulations of a simple human being in his quest to become the best ever. Rory might never win another major again. He might win ten. One thing I can guarantee you, is that people will proclaim his genius and speculate on his ability to break records in much the same way they do about great players in other sports. In fact, in much the same way you speculate on Manchester Uniteds upcoming season.

Some tweets between McIlroy and Fowler today:

318017.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

I know its a lot to keep talking about Nicklaus's record because its so far away, but thinking of the short term goals. Would you be surprised if you didn't think he would win a major next year? How many will he win over the next few years? Monty thinks he'll win at least 10 by the time he's 30!

PaddyPower are now only offering odds of 2/1 to surpass Woods total, not much money to be made on that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

Will hopefully ignore the urge to tweak his game further, or suggestions from coaches to change.

Thats where he might be lacking. The serious golfer always aspires to improve. If he really is world class golfer, he will now change his swing, get a new coach, try glasses, put on weight, loose weight, do his range sessions from his knees, try a fat putter grip, try a broomhandle putter. For starters anyway. Could only improve him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

Anyway, fantastic round by Rors. His best victory by far, in that he didnt just rely on his talent being the best out there and being in effortless top form - he was pushed, had to fight back, and did the necessary. Has reached a new level of maturity and golfing greatness.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement