Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭bren2001

Definitely got to be playing the Players anyway and thought he’d be playing the Arnold Palmer event as well.
    That’s the WGC matchplay will be his last tournament before the masters. Mexico is next week. Presume he will defend in Bay Hill andbplat the players as well.

Yeah, you're right. The WGC next week is in Mexico, I had it the other way round. His schedule (according to the Irish Times) is:

WGC Mexico - Arnold Palmer - Players - WGC Matchplay - Masters.

It seems a bit light to me but he's ruled out the Honda classic because he doesn't like it and the Valspar because that would mean he plays 4 weeks in a row. It seems odd to take two weeks off before the Masters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

bren2001 wrote: »
    Yeah, you're right. The WGC next week is in Mexico, I had it the other way round. His schedule (according to the Irish Times) is:

WGC Mexico - Arnold Palmer - Players - WGC Matchplay - Masters.

It seems a bit light to me but he's ruled out the Honda classic because he doesn't like it and the Valspar because that would mean he plays 4 weeks in a row. It seems odd to take two weeks off before the Masters.

It seems odd based on what exactly?? I love hackers here talking as if they are seasoned tournament players and know better than a guy who’s won 4 majors how he should best schedule his season......

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Theres 11 days between end of matchplay and beginning of masters so he isn’t “taking 2 weeks off” anyway. He’s just skipping texas open as I’m sure a lot of his rivals will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

It seems odd based on what exactly?? I love hackers here talking as if they are seasoned tournament players and know better than a guy who’s won 4 majors how he should best schedule his season......

He just said "it seems odd" ffs. It wouldn't be much of a forum if only those with a tour card could post an opinion on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

When is the last time he won a major? And was he playing more golf back when he did win majors?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

backspin. wrote:
    When is the last time he won a major? And was he playing more golf back when he did win majors?

Events Played and Wins by Year

2018 25, 1
    2017 18, 0
    2016 22, 3
    2015 20, 4
    2014 24, 4 (2 majors)
    2013 25, 1
    2012 24, 5 (1 major)
    2011 23, 2 (1 major)
    2010 27, 1

McIlroy suffered a few injuries which reduced his tournament count in recent years.

To put this in perspective, Tiger Woods has never played more than 24 events in a calendar year, and in his pomp played about 22 events a year.

Phil Mickelson has played 22-25 events per year fairly consistently throughout his career.

There are some players with heavier schedules (high 20s) but the norm among the best players in recent years seems to be 25 tournaments.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭bren2001

It seems odd based off his own bloody comments. He said he wanted to play the week before every major in 2019. First major of it, he isn't playing.

At what point did I say he should schedule it different?
    Theres 11 days between end of matchplay and beginning of masters so he isn’t “taking 2 weeks off” anyway. He’s just skipping texas open as I’m sure a lot of his rivals will.

You're right, its only a week off. There's two events listed before the Masters, I didn't look at the dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

ligerdub wrote: »
    Events Played and Wins by Year

2018 25, 1
    2017 18, 0
    2016 22, 3
    2015 20, 4
    2014 24, 4 (2 majors)
    2013 25, 1
    2012 24, 5 (1 major)
    2011 23, 2 (1 major)
    2010 27, 1

McIlroy suffered a few injuries which reduced his tournament count in recent years.

To put this in perspective, Tiger Woods has never played more than 24 events in a calendar year, and in his pomp played about 22 events a year.

Phil Mickelson has played 22-25 events per year fairly consistently throughout his career.

There are some players with heavier schedules (high 20s) but the norm among the best players in recent years seems to be 25 tournaments.

Interesting he played 25 last year. It may have been 2017 where I formed the opinion he wasn't playing much. I always enjoy watching him play and win.

Whatever his schedule I'd love to see him back winning majors.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭markthespark77

great eagle to start the 4th round

He has left some amount of putts just shy over the four days its been a promising enough showing in many ways

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭Russman

I don’t know whether to be encouraged or discouraged for him tbh. I’m a huge fan of Rory and think he’s one of the all time greats, but I’m torn between thinking maybe he’s done and just can’t hang with the likes of JT et al anymore (look at the way JT nailed those par putts on 7 & 9 compared to Rory dribbling it at the hole on 10 for par) Vs thinking he’s pretty much played sh1te (for him) and will probably finish top 5, so when/if he plays well he’ll be back winning.
    Or maybe all we’ll see from now on is fleeting glimpses, like the back nine at Bay Hill last year.

He’s an enigma.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,358 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

That wedge on the last :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

A great missed opportunity to close it out.

Doing enough to stay in contention but the killer instinct is not there.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Break80

Ì am always rooting for Rory but he is a heartbreak coming down the strech again.
    What is it with him when the chips are down. He just seems to lose interest.
    Is it the money? I remember a hunger when he was younger but when he got to no.1 and got his majors, the crazy endorsements started. Since then a few wins now and then to keep his profile high and everyone seems to be happy including himself.
    It will be the greatest waste of talent if he don,t wake up and put things right.
    Look at Tiger. He had all the wealth and trappings but still had the hunger without it Talent will only get you so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Break80 wrote: »
    Ì am always rooting for Rory but he is a heartbreak coming down the strech again.
    What is it with him when the chips are down. He just seems to lose interest.
    Is it the money? I remember a hunger when he was younger but when he got to no.1 and got his majors, the crazy endorsements started. Since then a few wins now and then to keep his profile high and everyone seems to be happy including himself.
    It will be the greatest waste of talent if he don,t wake up and put things right.
    Look at Tiger. He had all the wealth and trappings but still had the hunger without it Talent will only get you so far.
    I don't think the last round was his problem tbh. JBH was =1, JT was +4, Marc Leishman and Kim had better rounds, but they were just two of four in the top 14 who scored better than him. The first round was the killer imo, not the last. Before the tournament started, I'd have thought a top five finish would have been a good result.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭galwayllm

Rory is a bit of a bottler and not in the top 7/8 in the world for me anymore. He has peaked.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

In summary, one fantastic round, one bad round, two good rounds. Played solidly, but putted badly, was near the top of the leaderboard at the end but never looked like winning.

That’s consistency for you.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Not sure it's been posted before as I know there was talk of it but Rory announced he is officially not a member of the European Tour this year...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭benny79

See he's changed his putter again back to the spider mallet only got to see a bit of the golf last nite.. I taught he was putting great in his last tournament with the blade putter.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭rooney30

galwayllm wrote: »
    Rory is a bit of a bottler and not in the top 7/8 in the world for me anymore. He has peaked.

Well his official ranking is 9. Would you have have him in your top 9 🙄?

• Advertisement

rooney30 wrote: »
    Well his official ranking is 9. Would you have have him in your top 9 ��?

He's #1 at botteling, he can have that! It's the only #1 he'll see for a very long time!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Want to actually add anything instead of just trolling??

Keano wrote: »

You kidding???

So my opinion is considered trolling?

This is my honest opinion on him. I don't feel like he will win anything for a long time! I believed that was clear!

You kidding???

So my opinion is considered trolling?

This is my honest opinion on him. I don't feel like he will win anything for a long time! I believed that was clear!

I'm no Rory fan, I would like to see him win more then lose though but there was nothing bottled the tournament just gone

Keano wrote: »

Five times last year Mcilroy was in the final group in the last round, fives times he ended up going backwards by the end of the round.

In case that is considered trolling, here is the article discussing it.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.golfdigest.com/story/for-rory-mcilroy-another-final-group-pairing-turns-into-another-missed-opportunity/amp

• Registered Users Posts: 17,976 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

He's #1 at botteling, he can have that! It's the only #1 he'll see for a very long time!

If anyone bottled it last night it was Justin Thomas.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭rooney30

Dav010 wrote: »
    Five times last year Mcilroy was in the final group in the last round, fives times he ended up going backwards by the end of the round.

In case that is considered trolling, here is the article discussing it.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.golfdigest.com/story/for-rory-mcilroy-another-final-group-pairing-turns-into-another-missed-opportunity/amp

By your logic you may so consider every top 20 player in the world a bottler because at multiple times in their careers they will all have held leads at some point and fallen out of contention Jt ( yesterday) Rickie ( pretty much all the time) Rose ( the masters Sergio won ) Spieth ( the masters willet won) DJ ( multiple majors ) Michelson ( near misses at us opens)
    . It happened to mcilroy a number of times last year but up to this he is not a player who would have been known for this . If anything he would
    be a player known for closing out the win once in contention

rooney30 wrote: »
    By your logic you may so consider every top 20 player in the world a bottler because at multiple times in their careers they will all have held leads at some point and fallen out of contention Jt ( yesterday) Rickie ( pretty much all the time) Rose ( the masters Sergio won ) Spieth ( the masters willet won) DJ ( multiple majors ) Michelson ( near misses at us opens)
    . It happened to mcilroy a number of times last year but up to this he is not a player who would have been known for this . If anything he would
    be a player known for closing out the win once in contention

It’s not my logic, it’s an article in Golf Digest where Mcilroy is quoted himself about his poor performance when in the last group on final days.

Yip, he’s probably no better/worse than any of those you mention, but as this is the Rory Mcilroy thread, we are talking about him.

I wouldn’t have thought he was known for closing out tournaments he is in contention for, if anything I would have thought he was known for his putting letting him down when he has gotten himself into good positions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭OS_Head

You don't get to the position in life and sport that Rory is if you are a bottler. Going by your estimation, everyone playing in the Genisis Open over the weekend was a bottler, except of course, JB.

• Advertisement

OS_Head wrote: »
    You don't get to the position in life and sport that Rory is if you are a bottler. Going by your estimation, everyone playing in the Genisis Open over the weekend was a bottler, except of course, JB.

How may of those players were in the final group 5 times last year and once this year?

He certainly seemed to have a competitive edge and was at the peak of his game 5/6 years ago, that’s when he got to the “position in sport”, that seems a long time ago now. And you can hardly say his game has improved since he last won a major.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement