Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭benny79

Im no Rory fan trust me! but he won last year and out of the Top 10 who has the most majors??

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭rooney30

Dav010 wrote: »
    How may of those players were in the final group 5 times last year and once this year?

He certainly seemed to have a competitive edge and was at the peak of his game 5/6 years ago, that’s when he got to the “position in sport”, that seems a long time ago now. And you can hardly say his game has improved since he last won a major.

Nobody is disputing that by the very high standards he sets himself the last few years have not been as successful . What is irking people on this thread is the suggestion that a former world number one, with 23 professional wins, which include 4 majors , 2 wgcs and a fed ex cup is somehow a bottler!

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭idle

In his post round interview last night he claimed that he didn’t know where he stood on the leaderboard til after holing the bunker shot on 16. If you’re in contention and everyone around you is dropping shots then surely it would be important to know this.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

rooney30 wrote: »
    Nobody is disputing that by the very high standards he sets himself the last few years have not been as successful . What is irking people on this thread is the suggestion that a former world number one, with 23 professional wins, which include 4 majors , 2 wgcs and a fed ex cup is somehow a bottler!

What seems to irk other posters is the constant referencing of majors won 5-8 years ago and that this somehow shows he is a great player today. No one disputes Tiger was once the best player on earth by a country mile, but that was some time ago, it happens even to the best/world number 1.

Young stars in many sports burn brightly early in their careers when they seem to improve rapidly, there isnt as much expectation and as a result, pressure to preform. With great success comes great expectations and pressure. Can you honestly say he is s better or worse player now than in 2014? Yes he wins occasionally, once in the past two seasons, but that is hardly the win rate of a great player, in his prime.

From that article linked earlier:

.” My problem’s been playing in the last group. I’ve just not played well in those situations. If I ever get that figured out, I could be dangerous.”

Mcilroy’s own words, he is playing well enough to get into the last group, but not only can he not seal the deal, his scores in the last rounds are so comparatively poor, he dropped lower in the leaderboard at the end of all 5 last year. An interesting point in that article is the fact that he won playing in the second last group last year, the inference being he performed better when there was less pressure on him. I wouldn’t go as far as to describe him as a “bottler”, but it is obvious he now has a problem when the chips are down and the pressure is on, something he didn’t seem to have earlier in his career, but he acknowledges it himself and hopes someday to figure it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,655 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

my Opionion of a bottler is blowing 3/4 shot lead. Rory doesn’t do this as he rarely puts himself in that position anymore. Don’t think he’s a bottler .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭londonred

slave1 wrote: »
    Not sure it's been posted before as I know there was talk of it but Rory announced he is officially not a member of the European Tour this year...

Rumours he had a falling out with the European Tour / McGinley over appearance money and number of events he had to play in , Irish Open decision may be interesting of this is true , he is an honorary member but has to pay the €200 annual registration fee which he is refusing to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭Panrich

londonred wrote: »
    Rumours he had a falling out with the European Tour / McGinley over appearance money and number of events he had to play in , Irish Open decision may be interesting of this is true , he is an honorary member but has to pay the €200 annual registration fee which he is refusing to pay.

I reckon we should all chip in and pay it for him. It would be a laugh to see how that went.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

If he's getting into top 5/10s surely thats a basis for better things.

I mean he's only 3 shots off a win this time so if he gets in final groups regularly then the gap to a win may not be that great

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

galwayllm wrote: »
    This is my honest opinion on him. I don't feel like he will win anything for a long time! I believed that was clear!

Cue Rory winning the WGC this weekend! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

idle wrote: »
    If you’re in contention and everyone around you is dropping shots then surely it would be important to know this.

An experienced Caddy on the bag may have spotted this :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Exactly, he's a mainstay in world's top ten by virtue of his consistency. A little tweak here and there, the wins will follow.

But his consistency is in his placing, not in his winning and that's just not cutting it for someone like Rory, his dry spell is just way too long

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I think the train of thought is that he has somehow moved into the bottler world from where he was years ago, so old Rory a winner, last few years Rory an inconsistent bottler, hopefully future Rory a consistent year on year winner

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

But his consistency is in his placing, not in his winning and that's just not cutting it for someone like Rory, his dry spell is just way too long

His consistency is in making a bit of a run into the top 5/10 on a Sunday after a poor earlier round has left him too much to do.

Its like United making it into the Champions League this year, they still had a sh1te year.

GreeBo wrote: »
    His consistency is in making a bit of a run into the top 5/10 on a Sunday after a poor earlier round has left him too much to do.

Its like United making it into the Champions League this year, they still had a sh1te year.

Thats not what happened the tournament just gone though

• Registered Users Posts: 20,358 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Thats not what happened the tournament just gone though

Well it kinda is. He shot +1 in the first round while the leaders were on -9. He was playing catch up from then on

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

londonred wrote: »
    Not sure it's been posted before as I know there was talk of it but Rory announced he is officially not a member of the European Tour this year...

Dunno if I buy that kinda rumour it’s too much of a nordi cliche that he’s refusing to stump up €200. It might be true. Then again it might just be the case that he feels he’s done enough for the Irish open and he’s not giving three weeks of his summer this year to Ireland, Scotland, Northern Ireland.

I suspect if the Irish open was in the north this year he wouldn’t skip it but I won’t open that can of worms.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Eoinyh

Maybe he is sick of mcginley hanging onto his coat tails, speaking about him during commentary as if he has the inside track on and some sort of influence over him. Mcilroy strikes me as the sort that if you push him into a cornor to do something he does not particularly want to do,he will stick his two fingers up and take the attitude,I owe you nothing now don't be annoying me

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

Eoinyh wrote: »
    Maybe he is sick of mcginley hanging onto his coat tails, speaking about him during commentary as if he has the inside track on and some sort of influence over him. Mcilroy strikes me as the sort that if you push him into a cornor to do something he does not particularly want to do,he will stick his two fingers up and take the attitude,I owe you nothing now don't be annoying me

McGinley only goes into the 'inside track' with Rory on stuff he knows, he quite clearly distances himself on many things to do with him and in fairness he would have much an inside track as anyone else in the golfing media.

If there has been any row with Rory I would expect it is with Keith Pelley.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Eoinyh

Remind me wrote: »
    McGinley only goes into the 'inside track' with Rory on stuff he knows, he quite clearly distances himself on many things to do with him and in fairness he would have much an inside track as anyone else in the golfing media.

If there has been any row with Rory I would expect it is with Keith Pelley.

Maybe Mcilroy likes it to stay on the inside track.Not mcginley spouting it out. Iv heard mcginley say stuff over the last two years or so, iv thought to myself,mm I wouldn't be too happy about that if I was mcilroy,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

There seems to be a lot of murmurs online about McIlroy and McGinley having a bit of a falling out. While it wouldn't be a huge surprise if it's true (both of them seem to have a habit of falling out with people), is there any real evidence of it?

I felt it was a bit risky of McGinley to openly criticise part of Rory's game, particularly to describe some of it as "average" all the same.

As for Rory not being aware he was in contention on Sunday, he wasn't really in contention until literally the point at which he holed that bunker shot. He started the day at -9, whereas the leader started the round at -17, and there were 2 starting from -13. He was at -11 when he hit that bunker shot, he could hardly be expecting to be furiously looking at leaderboards sitting on -2 for the day when he started miles behind the leaders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭Russman

ligerdub wrote: »
    As for Rory not being aware he was in contention on Sunday, he wasn't really in contention until literally the point at which he holed that bunker shot. He started the day at -9, whereas the leader started the round at -17, and there were 2 starting from -13. He was at -11 when he hit that bunker shot, he could hardly be expecting to be furiously looking at leaderboards sitting on -2 for the day when he started miles behind the leaders.

I’d agree with this, he was never really in contention at all on Sunday. Yes he needed birdie, birdie finish to get to -14, but that was a bit of an ask, more so as 18th was playing hard with that back pin. That said, his second shot with a short iron was shocking for a tour player.

Plus there’s a big school of thought that says the ideal way to play is not to know how you’re doing, that you try to shoot the best score you can for that round and it doesn’t matter what anyone else does because you can’t effect that.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Telecaster58

Russman wrote: »
    I’d agree with this, he was never really in contention at all on Sunday. Yes he needed birdie, birdie finish to get to -14, but that was a bit of an ask, more so as 18th was playing hard with that back pin. That said, his second shot with a short iron was shocking for a tour player.

Plus there’s a big school of thought that says the ideal way to play is not to know how you’re doing, that you try to shoot the best score you can for that round and it doesn’t matter what anyone else does because you can’t effect that.

I think Jesper Parnevik's experience of that suggests otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Russman wrote: »

I think at that stage of a tournament its basically a multi-way matchplay situation where your actions have to be governed by what everyone else is doing and equally what you are doing is impacting and influencing everyone else.

Laying up on the Par 5 18th might be your best bet for your 4 and no worse than a 5, but if you are two back with 1 to play then it would be a silly decision to take, you need to try for the eagle.
    (Obviously this only holds true if your target is the win rather than ranking points/money etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

McIlroy's short iron play has deteriorated badly since he started bulking up in the gym.

TCM wrote: »
    McIlroy's short iron play has deteriorated badly since he started bulking up in the gym.

Yeah , as well as this, since he has starting cutting his hair tighter iv noticed he is a bit more wayward off the tee

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Yeah , as well as this, since he has starting cutting his hair tighter iv noticed he is a bit more wayward off the tee

Doubt his hair makes a difference. But if you think it does, then go for it.

Adding muscle may well take away flexibility and “feel”. It would certainly explain why his distance has increased, but the part of his game that requires subtle movements/finesse like chipping and putting has not improved and may well have regressed as he has gotten bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Anyone know the distance he faced with that wedge on 18? It’s amazing to me he’s hitting a full shot yet he’s 20 yards short with the execution. Looked a clean strike so it was either a momentous miscalculation or something else. If he’d overshot you could point to the adrenaline factor, but 20 yards short? That’s 2 clubs out, i can’t really fathom that one at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

Anyone know the distance he faced with that wedge on 18? It’s amazing to me he’s hitting a full shot yet he’s 20 yards short with the execution. Looked a clean strike so it was either a momentous miscalculation or something else. If he’d overshot you could point to the adrenaline factor, but 20 yards short? That’s 2 clubs out, i can’t really fathom that one at all.

165 yds on shot tracker. Finished 27 yds short.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

martinkop wrote: »
    165 yds on shot tracker. Finished 27 yds short.

Cheers. Sounds to me like it’s right on his limit for a wedge but there was breeze behind him so maybe it was ok choice. Pitched probably 20 yards short of intended though, just a real shocker however it happened.

• Advertisement

Dav010 wrote: »
    Doubt his hair makes a difference. But if you think it does, then go for it.

Adding muscle may well take away flexibility and “feel”. It would certainly explain why his distance has increased, but the part of his game that requires subtle movements like chipping and putting has not improved and may well have regressed as he has gotten bigger.

Where is the evidence for this ? Any sports science / golf swing biomechanics paper you can reference to support this ?
    All the tops guys are a bit buff. I’m sure there is good reason for this from a sports science point of view . You can be sure they will be taking advice from guys with a phd level of study in their field They all have some definition but it’s not as if they walking around like hulk hogan( Rory included)
    It’s a wonder that Tiger won anything at all, maybe if he went the Shane Lowry route he would have beaten Jacks record

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement