Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

rooney30 wrote:
    Ha ha , good man yourself . Rory could be one of three things , British , Irish or Northern Irish . You obviously struggle with that!

He'll fit in over in America so. They're all a quarter Irish, a quarter Scottish, one tenth polish...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

Yes he owes it to the country that supported and nurtured his talent from an early age and got him to where he is today.
    Fair enough the open is on his own patch this year but he’s just putting more pressure on himself to perform that week.
    It’s the 1 tournament every year that he shouldn’t miss outside of the majors.
    I hope to hear Harrington’s opinion on this.

Nonsense post....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭HarshOstrich

Nonsense post....

Care to explain why it’s nonsense, it’s easy to throw insults without backing it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Rory is British, his national championship is the Open.

Not sure why so many on here struggle with that.

Exactly. People just cannot accept that he is not Irish.
    Fair play to him, I'm not a fan at all. I just can't listen to that accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭Dbu

HighLine wrote: »
    McGinley just said he spoke to Rory for 15 minutes on the range yesterday so any rumours of a fall out there would appear not to be true.

He mentioned it about 20 times..... to possibly deflect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Rory is British, his national championship is the Open.

Not sure why so many on here struggle with that.

The tournament is called the Open Championship - for a reason. It is not the British national championship.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Let's leave the nationality/politics out of this one. Thanks.

Keano wrote: »
    Let's leave the nationality/politics out of this one. Thanks.

You'll be losing about 80% of the contributors if we do.

No harm.

First Up wrote:
    The tournament is called the Open Championship - for a reason. It is not the British national championship.

Where did I claim the Open was called the British national championship ..?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 473 ✭✭Pissartist

Let's see can he back up that great round yesterday or will he choke,
    As for the irish open, i'm happy he won't be there he never really tries anyway his heart was never in it,
    we have Lowry, Dunne and harrington who love the event

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Pissartist wrote: »
    As for the irish open, i'm happy he won't be there he never really tries anyway his heart was never in it,
    we have Lowry, Dunne and harrington who love the event
    2016 might beg to differ ;)

Where did I claim the Open was called the British national championship ..?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

redmca2 wrote: »
    The article in the Irish Independent by Roy Curtis is as close to moronic journalism as I have seen in a long time.

So OTT it is almost comical --- "To many it will feel like the most needless act of infidelity, willfully counter-intuitive and plain wrong"

The most needless act of infidelity???

Roy, please get a grip !!!

Off topic, but how Roy Curtis manages to get paid to write anything is one of life's great mysteries. He is an embarrassment to actual journalism.

So I wouldn't read too much into anything he puts his name to.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Off topic, but how Roy Curtis manages to get paid to write anything is one of life's great mysteries. He is an embarrassment to actual journalism.

So I wouldn't read too much into anything he puts his name to.

I think he’s brilliant personally but can’t understand how his editors persistently misplace his articles in the sports section rather than the comedy section where they belong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

I think he’s brilliant personally but can’t understand how his editors persistently misplace his articles in the sports section rather than the comedy section where they belong.

Had the misfortune of seeing something of his retweeted recently so I had a look at his twitter feed. Dear god does he spout some sh!t on there

cringe

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

Pissartist wrote: »

What will be considered choking?
    If he doesn't shoot -8 again in R2 is that choking?

If he shoots anything from -2 to -4 today I would consider that a good follow up.

First Up wrote:

No, I said Rory is British. That's not an opinion. That's a fact. From the man himself.

It appears to be something a large section of this sub can't get their heads around.

The Open therefore is his national championship.

As an example to further your comprehension of the above. Shane's national championship as an Irish man is the Irish open.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭idle

Its easy to see how Rory divides opinions. I’ve 2 opinions on him;

1. When he’s on the course and burning it up like last night I’m a fan, willing his putts into the hole

2. When he’s off the course and in front of a camera I’ve no interest. He doesn’t comes across as someone very likeable

I guess I separate his golfing ability from his personality

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 473 ✭✭Pissartist

Keano wrote: »
    2016 might beg to differ ;)

True but how many missed cuts aswell, same old story with Rory, great player, poor attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,976 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

idle wrote: »
    Its easy to see how Rory divides opinions. I’ve 2 opinions on him;

1. When he’s on the course and burning it up like last night I’m a fan, willing his putts into the hole

2. When he’s off the course and in front of a camera I’ve no interest. He doesn’t comes across as someone very likeable

I guess I separate his golfing ability from his personality

Who's more likeable than Rory though? 90% of pro golfers imo are mundane, boring arrogant assholes. Rory is not afraid to say what he thinks and I like that about him, he calls it as it is no bull****.

He's missing the Irish open this year which is a huge pity no doubt but he believes playing 3 weeks in a row doesn't give him the best chance of winning the open and who are we to say otherwise. Bear in mind it will be the only time he gets to play the open in his own country. I've no doubt Rory will be back next year. Great to see him playing so well last night and long may it continue.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Who's more likeable than Rory though? 90% of pro golfers imo are mundane, boring arrogant assholes. Rory is not afraid to say what he thinks and I like that about him, he calls it as it is no bull****.

He's missing the Irish open this year which is a huge pity no doubt but he believes playing 3 weeks in a row doesn't give him the best chance of winning the open and who are we to say otherwise. Bear in mind it will be the only time he gets to play the open in his own country. I've no doubt Rory will be back next year. Great to see him playing so well last night and long may it continue.

No bull**** eh? The last time something like this came up he said he wasn’t going to the Olympics because a fly might effect his chance of fatherhood. He gave a very different explanation later if you remember.

Portrush is likely to be added to the Open rota, so unless you think he is going to retire in his 30’s, there is a pretty good chance he will be playing the Open in his country again.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,976 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Dav010 wrote: »
    No bull**** eh? The last time something like this came up he said he wasn’t going to the Olympics because a fly might effect his chance of fatherhood. He gave a very different explanation later if you remember.

Portrush is likely to be added to the Open rota, so unless you think he is going to retire in his 30’s, there is a pretty good chance he will be playing the Open in his country again.

Yeah but if you remember he did come out then and say that he's no Interest in golf at the Olympics and that he won't be watching. Most of the others who pulled out stuck to the zica virus nonsense. Like him or not he's alot more honest than 95% of golfers and this creates the division.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Quite simply Rory should take a long look at Padraig, especially coming up to the next RC and learn how to present himself to the populous

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭valoren

It's a logical scheduling problem. It's the only reason he is not playing the Irish Open. It's not a snub, a disservice or anything melodramatic. If he feels he will be fresher coming into the Open with more rest then that's his prerogative. Like it or lump it so to speak. It's the first Open in the North for decades. 68 years since the last. It's a big deal and it won't be there for another decade given the Open rota. He'll be pushing 40 by the time it comes around again. He won't be a spring chicken by then. So with that he thinks his best chance to win so close to home is now and will look get more rest in the lead in to it. More power to him. He didn't set the tourney schedule and so missing Lahinch becomes an inevitable collateral exclusion . He is the boss of his own time and schedule and that must be respected. His decision to skip it had been signposted for weeks. You'd swear he has committed treason.

The winner at Lahinch this year will get €1m (of $7m total prize money), the event is now part of the Rolex series and this is in no small measure thanks to McIlroy. When the event was in danger of being scrapped from the schedule due to lack of willing sponsors comfortable in taking on the expense/risk he pressed the flesh and in the prime of his career via his foundation stepped in when needed rescuing a proud event from the golfing doldrums. If that hadn't happened there would be no controversy simply because there would be no Irish Open as we know it. We and his critics, would do well to remember that.

Ah but what about all that was done for him as an amatuer? To snub Lahinch is a slap in the face! There is a neat summation to that, a circle was completed. The assistance to a young McIlroy helped. He became a superstar. And he used that status to help the Irish Open survive. He didn't have to but he did.

Now in the year the Open returns to where he grew up, he deserves a free pass on deciding what the best approach for him to win will be. It would be great if he is vindicated with that approach. With McIlroy in the mix come the back nine on the Sunday, what a special atmosphere that will be. If he wins? It will be monumental.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,886 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Yeah but if you remember he did come out then and say that he's no Interest in golf at the Olympics and that he won't be watching. Most of the others who pulled out stuck to the zica virus nonsense. Like him or not he's alot more honest than 95% of golfers and this creates the division.

Rory couldn’t lie straight in bed.

No, I said Rory is British. That's not an opinion. That's a fact. From the man himself.

It appears to be something a large section of this sub can't get their heads around.

As an example to further your comprehension of the above. Shane's national championship as an Irish man is the Irish open.

Did you notice the word "Irish" in there by any chance?

The Open Championship is the Open Championship.

slave1 wrote: »
    Quite simply Rory should take a long look at Padraig, especially coming up to the next RC and learn how to present himself to the populous
    I see what you are getting at but Rory is doing what he thinks he is best for him, like no doubt Harrington has done for his career.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Dav010 wrote: »
    I can’t quote evidence, just a fable, when Samson cut his hair he lost his strength. Not sure either if Tiger had a beard he would have beaten Jack, but you could be right about that as well.

The buff bit I can’t comment on, you might want to look at other threads for an opinion on that.

I remember Tom Watson saying that pros in his era were told to stay away from lifting weights. The theory was that increased muscle mass in the arms and shoulders could affect a players swing.

Probably mumbo jumbo though, sports science didn't really exist in the 1970s.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Can't see why he just wouldn't skip the Scottish instead.

Play Lahinch and then head up to Portrush for full weeks practice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,985 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

it is also a fact that Rory is Irish :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement