Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

prawnsambo wrote: »
    If you ever saw the stuff that Kitman Labs do for sports teams in rugby, premiership soccer and NFL, you'd be gobsmacked. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the top golfers are getting that kind of analysis in terms of training and dietary requirements. And I've seen McIlroy getting the full works done on what gym work he should do. Completely wired up to machines as he goes through his swing.

I would say a lot of them do stats, Snedeker was into the whole moneyball thing for a while and applying it to golf. Think a few others followed him. Like anything, some probably more keen on it than others, not sure about rory, seems more of an intuitive golfer to me but could be wrong about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

If you’re looking for stats over the last 5 years on cumulative scoring at sawgrass Rory is 2nd on -21

• Registered Users Posts: 21,370 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Remind me wrote: »
    If you’re looking for stats over the last 5 years on cumulative scoring at sawgrass Rory is 2nd on -21

Looks like he wants to add to that...-5 with few holes left today

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Mushy wrote: »
    Looks like he wants to add to that...-5 with few holes left today
    Second shot into the 18th hit a sprinkler head and went airborne. Came to rest against a spectator's bag and he's now waiting for a ruling.

• Advertisement

That was unlucky. Birdie putt just missed. Seems the wind picking up

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

Serious bad luck on his final hole. If he doesn't hit the sprinkler i would say a birdie is nailed on.

Solid round but maybe could have dropped a few more putts.

Played a great chip back but the birdie putt just turned away from the hole at the end. Round of 67, two behind Fleetwood.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,985 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Eamon Lynch
    @eamonlynch
    Golfweek columnist. Only Northern Irish golfer without a major. IG:eamonlynch

Does he think Feherty and Rafferty, Hoey & Dunbar all won Majors :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,985 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

In the argument re some of the stats Eg strokes gained I'm in the camp that the only stat that matters is the fewest strokes taken. Yep some of them are a bit silly.

However I do believe GreeBo is kinda right, they will look at stats (or at least certainly should) to see where they can make improvements.

In general if you hit the most fairways and take the fewest putts, that's going to be enough to win week in week out. This has to be no. 1 focus, but then you miss a fairway by a yard I wouldn't be getting to hung up about that but the stats will say different. So they have to pick and choose.

A good golfer won't need to look at stats though, they will know their weaknesses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Seve OB wrote: »
    In the argument re some of the stats Eg strokes gained I'm in the camp that the only stat that matters is the fewest strokes taken. Yep some of them are a bit silly.

However I do believe GreeBo is kinda right, they will look at stats (or at least certainly should) to see where they can make improvements.

In general if you hit the most fairways and take the fewest putts, that's going to be enough to win week in week out. This has to be no. 1 focus, but then you miss a fairway by a yard I wouldn't be getting to hung up about that but the stats will say different. So they have to pick and choose.

A good golfer won't need to look at stats though, they will know their weaknesses.

In essence though that would basically be who ever leads in Strokes Gained Off The Tee & leads Strokes Gained Putting then Seve :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Aliasjones

fairly spot on comments by mcginley IMO
    The attitude of coming to terms with a 'perceived loss' is like training your subconscious in some degree to be accepting and ready to lose is it not?

https://www.independent.ie/sport/golf/hes-lost-his-confidence-when-it-comes-down-to-the-last-day-paul-mcginley-on-rory-mcilroys-sunday-blues-37910780.html

Fairways should still play wide even tomoro so it'll be interesting to see how he gets on with firmer greens in the afternoon high ball flight should help

On the weekend it is a different animal with expected wind changes it'll play longer on a drying out course

Sawgrass has the drainage system on the greens which allows them determine the speed pretty well so once they dont go 2016 3rd round on it will favour longer higher ball flight hitters

Rory should do well in theory

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

What Rory really needs right now is to go all 2011-2013 on everyone and take an 8 shot lead into the final round.

Ideally at Augusta.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Second shot into the 18th hit a sprinkler head and went airborne. Came to rest against a spectator's bag and he's now waiting for a ruling.

Waiting for somebody to say he choked again in reference to this.

neddynasty wrote: »
    Waiting for somebody to say he choked again in reference to this.
    Apparently they cover those sprinkler heads with astroturf on other courses. Surprised they don't do it at Sawgrass.

Unsure how to describe his putting, he's had some alright chips that left him 5-10ft away and misses, now hits terrible chip to 20+ feet and sinks it.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭sliabh 1956

he is now only 2 behind fleetwood

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

He’s had some luck today in fairness!

He’s had some luck today in fairness!

Serious bounce! Take it when you get it

• Advertisement

And then robbed with the putt!!

Great eagle

EDIT well said rich beem

• Registered Users Posts: 17,975 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

5 hours in and Rory just teeing off on 17!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

5 hours in and Rory just teeing off on 17!

Saw a tweet earlier, tiger teed off 10 at 8.32 and was on the 11th tee at 9.20

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

Great eagle

EDIT well said rich beem

Some great commentary after that eagle

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭boardise

Go on Rory lad ...finish this one off and have the Masters for dessert !

• Registered Users Posts: 11,376 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Great eagle

EDIT well said rich beem

What did he say? I just heard something about Northern Ireland

fullstop wrote: »
    What did he say? I just heard something about Northern Ireland

Just corrected Murray on his nationality.

Another great putt.

Great birdie putt. Jesus when he gets going it's something else

• Advertisement

Dr Devious wrote: »
    If you see him winning anything, even a major then it’s purely based on a hunch, even the most misguided follower couldn’t make a case for him based on what he’s doing on the golf course.

Yeah.........

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement