Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

PARlance wrote: »
    It's a chicken and egg scenario if you ask me. Most "winners" don't feel the pressure as much as others as they've so much self belief.

Then how do these winners become winners?
    Is someones first win just downright luck then?
    What about when Rory threw it away in 2010? What gave him the belief between then and his first Major?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,230 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

GreeBo wrote: »
    What about when Rory threw it away in 2010? What gave him the belief between then and his first Major?

Luck? Who mentioned that.

Being a winner doesn't mean winning everything as someone keeps telling us of Jacks 19 second places.
    Winners can become winners from severe or many loses.
    Having self belief isn't a constaint.
    Many players gain belief for "almost" getting there or failing.
    I'm guessing Rory, whilst devasted by Augusta, drew a lot of positives from it and it only fueled his ambition/belief.

Sergio comes out and says he should play for 2nd or 3rd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

GreeBo wrote: »
    He said it at the time. He didn't ever want to go through that feeling again. His declared method of dealing with it is to keep his mind on each shot and nothing else. At the masters he let the other thoughts about winning into his head and it completely overwhelmed him.

That's choking. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Luck? Who mentioned that.

Being a winner doesn't mean winning everything as someone keeps telling us of Jacks 19 second places.
    Winners can become winners from severe or many loses.
    Having self belief isn't a constaint.
    Many players gain belief for "almost" getting there or failing.
    I'm guessing Rory, whilst devasted by Augusta, drew a lot of positives from it and it only fueled his ambition/belief.

Sergio comes out and says he should play for 2nd or 3rd.

In fairness Sergio has picked himself up many many times and come back fighting.

He may have been caught at a low ebb when he made that quote. But he's still clearly competing in majors and clearly wants to win one. Maybe he feels he has a better chance of winning one if he gets the press to think he doesn't think he can. Maybe that eases the external pressure somewhat and lets him concentrate on golf instead of giving endless interviews where he has to explain why he hasn't won one and when is he going to win one.

I don't even particularly like Sergio, but the casual dismissal of his efforts is harsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Winning at the top level of any sport is not easy, but the best are able to up their game in the high pressure environment (e.g. McIlroy on the back 9 last Sunday).
    When pressure has been applied to Garcia in the past, he normally caves. Anyone remember the Players in 2013? And that's not even a major.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,230 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Ormus wrote: »
    In fairness Sergio has picked himself up many many times and come back fighting.

He may have been caught at a low ebb when he made that quote. But he's still clearly competing in majors and clearly wants to win one. Maybe he feels he has a better chance of winning one if he gets the press to think he doesn't think he can. Maybe that eases the external pressure somewhat and lets him concentrate on golf instead of giving endless interviews where he has to explain why he hasn't won one and when is he going to win one.

I don't even particularly like Sergio, but the casual dismissal of his efforts is harsh.

I do like Sergio and I started it all off by saying it was unfortunate that he seems to have issues with self belief.

Agree 100% that that was a low point and I wouldn't expect him to say the same again.
    But it's something that he did say and I think that shows a major ;) mental weakness. Even at a low point, most wouldn't think it, never mind say it.
    It just shows a frailty that seems inbuilt.

Still think he can win a major and I'd love to see it happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

I do like Sergio and I started it all off by saying it was unfortunate that he seems to have issues with self belief.

Agree 100% that that was a low point and I wouldn't expect him to say the same again.
    But it's something that he did say and I think that shows a major ;) mental weakness. Even at a low point, most wouldn't think it, never mind say it.

Ah yeah I suppose you did in fairness.

But just as you say that his best chance of winning a major is coming from behind, maybe his best chance of winning a major is getting the press off his back and focussing on his golf. If I was him or Westwood I'd consider also changing my name and wearing a disguise, just to get a break from those interminable interviews about not winning majors. Must be absolute torture for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Tones69

SnowDrifts wrote: »
    Rory just completes a stunning triple and gets 2 majors in the space of a month and all the talk on this thread is about choking! Gotta love the Irish!! :D:D

Irish at their happiest when putting something or someone down dont you know ;)

Tones69 wrote: »
    Irish at their happiest when putting something or someone down dont you know ;)
    Or having a interesting discussion about the sport.

What someone says publicly and what they are thinking are unrelated.
    Only Sergio knows how Sergio reacts abd feels under pressure, despite what he may say publicly.

Why on earth would he keep playing if he really thinks he can't win one? For the glory of second place, the money?
    No because he wants to win and thinks he can.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Can this discussion be moved to a separate thread. This is a Rory thread. He didn't choke on Sunday.

This is not a choking thread or a Sergio thread. Amazing how some things here are trigger happy and others are lax. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

blockic wrote: »
    Can this discussion be moved to a separate thread. This is a Rory thread. He didn't choke on Sunday.

This is not a choking thread or a Sergio thread. Amazing how some things here are trigger happy and others are lax. :rolleyes:

IMO if greebo wasn't involved in this debate there would be a lot of big black bold text in here warning people about off topic discussion.

I fully expect big black bold text in reply to this about backseat moderating but that's not what I'm trying to do.

I'm sure many lads agree with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Who took the jam outta your doughnut?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I looked in on this thread this morning and saw this discussion about choking.....now I've dropped in again, and find that discussion is still on going. YAWN! Someone let us know when we get back to talking about Rory and his recent wins etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

vienne86 wrote: »
    I looked in on this thread this morning and saw this discussion about choking.....now I've dropped in again, and find that discussion is still on going. YAWN! Someone let us know when we get back to talking about Rory and his recent wins etc.

That could be a while. It is now not even about choking. But whether discussing choking should be allowed in the thread then to whether the thread is being correctly moded. Rory who ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I can' see the problem.

There has been a massive change in him. People are trying to get into what has happened.

This is entirely relevant to any discussion about Rory.

I'm a bit confused people going on about, " the grudging Irish etc. ".
    That is rubbish.

If you turn on any sports discussion or read anything about golf . The psychological aspect of golf and Rory is one of the main topics.

The Sergio thing is interesting . Not related perhaps. But on here , as golf fans and during tooth gate / wozi. People who wanted Rory to win were genuinely worried Rory was the next Sergio.

So. I'm interested anyway.

What should we talk about so. His shoes, his Nike clothing. A par. A birdie.

I guess as golfers we are going beyond just the sports results ?
    Opinions. That is what Is great about all sports.

So for the rest of the year how do we see it all panning out for Rory...

I didn't think he'd pull it off last week. Yes he had the ability to, but two wins on the bounce takes it out of you mentally more than physically from what I've seen in the past.

That is what was quite impressive...will he finish it off with the fedex cup? Now that would be the icing on what is now a fantastic year for him. A top 5 result next week I think would be another solid result. Can't be expecting him to win every week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

So for the rest of the year how do we see it all panning out for Rory...

I didn't think he'd pull it off last week. Yes he had the ability to, but two wins on the bounce takes it out of you mentally more than physically from what I've seen in the past.

That is what was quite impressive...will he finish it off with the fedex cup? Now that would be the icing on what is now a fantastic year for him. A top 5 result next week I think would be another solid result. Can't be expecting him to win every week.

It really depends on how he feels. A slog like the last four weeks could take it out of you, but apparently he said he could have played another eighteen holes when he finished on Sunday night (probably because of all the rests he got between holes :)). The FedEx Cup is another slog but the last time he was in good form, he won the PGA had an iffy Barclays and won the BMW and the Deutsche Bank but couldn't keep it going through the Tour Championship.

He may feel he's got unfinished business there...

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,524 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

ForeRight wrote: »
    IMO if greebo wasn't involved in this debate there would be a lot of big black bold text in here warning people about off topic discussion.

I fully expect big black bold text in reply to this about backseat moderating but that's not what I'm trying to do.

I'm sure many lads agree with me.
    If you have a problem with a mod, modding in general or a post either use the report post function (reported posta are notified to CMods as well as mods) or contact a CMod with your concerns - never start discussing modding matters in-thread

tumbleweed.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭newport2

I can' see the problem.

There has been a massive change in him. People are trying to get into what has happened.

This is entirely relevant to any discussion about Rory.

I'm a bit confused people going on about, " the grudging Irish etc. ".
    That is rubbish.

If you turn on any sports discussion or read anything about golf . The psychological aspect of golf and Rory is one of the main topics.

The Sergio thing is interesting . Not related perhaps. But on here , as golf fans and during tooth gate / wozi. People who wanted Rory to win were genuinely worried Rory was the next Sergio.

So. I'm interested anyway.

What should we talk about so. His shoes, his Nike clothing. A par. A birdie.

I guess as golfers we are going beyond just the sports results ?
    Opinions. That is what Is great about all sports.

+1 Heard on the radio yesterday some psychologist pointing out that one of the reasons men are so into sport is that it is their form of "gossip".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,106 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Top right - *smash*

• Registered Users Posts: 20,912 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Rikand wrote: »
    Top right - *smash*

:confused:

:confused:

Watch the link

• Registered Users Posts: 5,767 ✭✭✭abff

YayaBanana wrote: »
    Early double for McIlroy. Still wouldn't back against him finishing under par today.

I'm afraid you'd probably lose that bet at this stage. He's having a bit of a nightmare day - 4 over after 12 holes and not threatening the hole at all. His shortest putt for birdie today was from 12 feet and he's only had one other birdie attempt from under 20 feet. :eek:

Not sure what's gone wrong, but I guess even the best golfer in the world can have an off day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

abff wrote: »
    I'm afraid you'd probably lose that bet at this stage. He's having a bit of a nightmare day - 4 over after 12 holes and not threatening the hole at all. His shortest putt for birdie today was from 12 feet and he's only had one other birdie attempt from under 20 feet. :eek:

Not sure what's gone wrong, but I guess even the best golfer in the world can have an off day.

I suspect parading trophies between Europe and the US has caught up with him. Not having a good day at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

All set up for him to shoot a 59 tomorrow :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,011 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Lads that's the difference between our Rory and the machine that was tiger.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 5,767 ✭✭✭abff

Lads that's the difference between our Rory and the machine that was tiger.

I think you'll find that even Tiger had his off days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭big_drive

I see some people are writing off Rory again haha!! Some things never change!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement