Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,357 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Prawn let’s agree to disagree.

Translated :: i've lost the argument and I'd like to bow out right now

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Rikand wrote: »
    Translated :: i've lost the argument and I'd like to bow out right now

That didn’t take too long for the aul snide remarks to come out.

Like it or not, binary thinking or not, it’s s pretty big change of mind, both in his decision to play, and who to play for.

Dav010 wrote: »
    That didn’t take too long for the aul snide remarks to come out.

Like it or not, binary thinking or not, it’s s pretty big change of mind, both in his decision to play, and who to play for.

Graeme McDowell handled it with tact, whereas Rory oscillated back and forth. I'm an enormous fan of Rory's talent, but he has an unfortunate habit of putting his foot in it.

For all the reasons I liked Rory for the players its the same here, except the fairways are fairly tight and the rough is up. (fairways do play a little wider when wet mind)

A good long wet course where he doesn't have to rely on his short irons/wedges is good for him generally (his wedge play isn't bad but under pressure its one aspect he seems to lose easier)

He is 11th in the field from 200-225 a distance which I feel is key this week for the big hitters this week. He is 2nd in the field in par 4 scoring (given there is only one reachable par 5 from 2 here its a good statistical measurement)

And if you were to take all the par 3, 4s and 5s this year of similar length to Bethpage (players have played this year) he is ranked no 1 (doesn't account for course conditions of bethpage and takes in different courses for different golfer)

POA putting is not great but his putting is so so anyways.

Less pressure on him here then the masters.

Kind of talking myself into Rory for differing reasons but thought ye might be interested in the above

Also who gives a feck if Rory plays the Olympics or not, if you want to see Ireland winning medals you should hope he plays given the standard that played last time.

If you Dislike him as a person just dont watch it.

He is poorly managed (or manages himself poorly) from a media perspective but I'd prefer to hear what he says over the gosh ji wizz Im a great guy people

• Advertisement

He used to be indecisive but now he is not so sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Plenty of golfers pulled out of the olympics last time for one reason or another. Given Rory's profile and the whole NI issue it was much bigger news here than other golfers from elsewhere refusing to play.

As for his decision now, it's been taken early and that should help to avoid the story becoming more than it should be. The last time it was only a few months before the olympics.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

More top players will play in Japan because it makes sense commercially for their sponsors.

Bob Harris wrote: »
    Plenty of golfers pulled out of the olympics last time for one reason or another. Given Rory's profile and the whole NI issue it was much bigger news here than other golfers from elsewhere refusing to play.

As for his decision now, it's been taken early and that should help to avoid the story becoming more than it should be. The last time it was only a few months before the olympics.

If you are a cynic, you might be inclined to think the timing of this might be coincidental, or, it may be a response to the negative opinion he is receiving about the Irish opinion and concern about the predominantly Irish support at the Open.

I just heard the comments he made on Today FM, like the Rugby and Hockey teams, golf is an all Irish sport, as a boy I dreamed of playing for Ireland, that is very different this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭OEP

It's such ignorance from people south of the border to expect the decision of someone from Northern Ireland to represent Ireland, Britain or neither to be a straightforward one. If it was choice to represent Northern Ireland, Ireland or Britain, then it would be straightforward for him. Some people from the Republic are as bad as the likes of the DUP when it comes to forcing people to choose what to identify as. As he has said before, no matter which side he chooses, people are going to be pissed off. That must not be a great feeling for such a high profile and influential person from a very sensitive region.

• Advertisement

OEP wrote: »
    It's such ignorance from people south of the border to expect the decision of someone from Northern Ireland to represent Ireland, Britain or neither to be a straightforward one. If it was choice to represent Northern Ireland, Ireland or Britain, then it would be straightforward for him. Some people from the Republic are as bad as the likes of the DUP when it comes to forcing people to choose what to identify as. As he has said before, no matter which side he chooses, people are going to be pissed off. That must not be a great feeling for such a high profile and influential person from a very sensitive region.

Why is it ignorance if the sport is an “wholel Island sport”? I might be wrong but I think the GUI includes Northern Ireland in the same way the IRFU and Hockey represents North and South. Also when a sportsperson represents a country throughout their amateur career, I don’t think it is ignorance to expect that to continue in the professional ranks. I accept the choice is not easy for the footballers as there is 2 separate representative bodies and two separate teams, but golf? No, sorry, I don’t accept it is ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭OEP

Why is it ignorance if the sport is an “wholel Island sport”? I might be wrong but I think the GUI includes Northern Ireland in the same way the IRFU and Hockey represents North and South. Also when a sportsperson represents a country throughout their amateur career, I don’t think it is ignorance to expect that to continue in the professional ranks. I accept the choice is not easy for the footballers as there is 2 separate representative bodies and two separate teams, but golf? No, sorry, I don’t accept it is ignorance.

The Olympics isn't the GUI though is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Rory is getting older too and perhaps has a better maturity to make decisions now. I am glad he will be playing in the Olympics and would have been disappointed if he had represented Britain. Perhaps Brexit and what’s happening over there made him think more about his identity. Or it could be a commercial decision.

Of course he could still renege and not play at all but I think he will this time given the location.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

And it’s not the English, Welsh or Scottish Golf Union.

Rory’s only national golf has been with the GUI, there is no Northern Ireland in the Olympics so the logical choice is Ireland, same with Hockey.

Mcilroy himself said golf is a “whole Island sport”, the representative body for the sport is a whole Island one, and he has represented this whole Island many times in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,974 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

No interest in golf at the Olympics tbh but if McIlroy is playing then you want him on your team and happy that he has chosen to represent us again.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Let's get back to talking about Rory's golf. Thanks.

Didn’t he just give an interview about playing a golf tournament for Ireland? Isn’t that “Rory’s golf”?, he seems to think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

McIlroy Olympics U-turn for those that want to discuss Rorys olympic golf openly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 473 ✭✭Pissartist

Another sudden change of mind, i'd much rather he represent gb at this stage so one of our really committed players get's the chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,435 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Can't believe the amount of hype RTE tried to drum up about this non-story. Yesterday evening on the radio at about 6:30 p.m., Greg Allen was practically wetting himself with this huge exclusive breaking story and he took up virtually the entire sports slot at 8:35 a.m. today on Morning Ireland going over it again. Yawn.

The reason why the IOC put tennis and golf back in the Olympics was to dress up the package so they could extract more cash from the US and European TV companies. McIlroy's original comment (before Rio 2016) about golf and the Olympics was spot on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Farawayhome

It's not as big as the majors. Never will be. It'd be nice if Rory could win an Olympic medal though, we haven't won many!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,375 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Love how butthurt the usual people in throwing digs on this thread are about this :)

fullstop wrote: »
    Love how butthurt the usual people in throwing digs on this thread are about this :)

Depends really on whether you read posts with an open mind, it could be equally argued that it is the same people making snide remarks every time there is any type of negative comment on the subject of the thread, they might see it as manlove on the other side rather than butthurt on their side.

There is another thread going on the Olympic decision, looks like there are a lot of "usual people" comments, why not head over there and contribute, its good to get views from all sides, adds to the discussion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Farawayhome

Depends really on whether you read posts with an open mind, it could be equally argued that it is the same people making snide remarks every time there is any type of negative comment on the subject of the thread, they might see it as manlove on the other side rather than butthurt on their side.

There is another thread going on the Olympic decision, looks like there are a lot of "usual people" comments, why not head over there and contribute, its good to get views from all sides, adds to the discussion.

It is funny how outraged people get about McIlroy. He's just a golfer, chill out!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Rory's starts with a bad over aggressive drive a bad chip a bad putt

Rory's back.

The one with people just chiming in to call him a 'runt' and 'pubehead'? Yeah, I'll head over there for a reasoned debate.

fullstop wrote: »
    The one with people just chiming in to call him a 'runt' and 'pubehead'? Yeah, I'll head over there for a reasoned debate.

Who comes to boards for reasoned debate? It’s a discussion forum. Do you insist on reasoned debate with other 3 in your 4 ball?

Who comes to boards for reasoned debate? It’s a discussion forum. Do you insist on reasoned debate with other 3 in your 4 ball?

Solid reasoning there, you got me :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

GreeBo wrote: »
    McIlroy Olympics U-turn for those that want to discuss Rorys olympic golf openly.
    Ah yeah thats more like it thanks :D

cmNMrCZ.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement