Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,644 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Said it so many times now.. People can be so fickle .. If he has a good round putting, people like to jump to the conclusion that his putting is 'back' or has improved.

It's still absolutely awful. He hits purple patches at times like we all do, but it's so, so bad in general.

His wedge play from 100 yards is still embarrassing sadly.

So frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

callaway92 wrote: »
    Said it so many times now.. People can be so fickle .. If he has a good round putting, people like to jump to the conclusion that his putting is 'back' or has improved.

It's still absolutely awful. He hits purple patches at times like we all do, but it's so, so bad in general.

His wedge play from 100 yards is still embarrassing sadly.

So frustrating.

Bang on really. Led the field in driving and hit more greens than Koepka. Wasn’t close enough to the hole though and his round was summed up on 15 where he hit like a 350 yard drive and then airmailed the green. He was 50 yards ahead of the average drive on that hole!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,550 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Does he beat himself up too much over his putting, basically letting all of the talk about it in the media get to him.

He was missing 30-40ft putts & looking like he does when he gets into that ultra-frustrated mode when he's missing short ones. Reality is, he shouldn't be making putts from that distance, so he shouldn't be getting annoyed at himself.

Or is it that, he's looking back at the hole, having hit a good drive & leaving a short iron in, but not leaving himself a makeable putt, so its not really frustration over the execution of the putts, more frustration at the putts he has to make?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Does he beat himself up too much over his putting, basically letting all of the talk about it in the media get to him.

He was missing 30-40ft putts & looking like he does when he gets into that ultra-frustrated mode when he's missing short ones. Reality is, he shouldn't be making putts from that distance, so he shouldn't be getting annoyed at himself.

Or is it that, he's looking back at the hole, having hit a good drive & leaving a short iron in, but not leaving himself a makeable putt, so its not really frustration over the execution of the putts, more frustration at the putts he has to make?

I remember him being interviewed by last year after a wayward round. Cant remember what tournament but what stuck in the memory was the interviewer commenting on his wedge play being poor but his driving being the usual supreme.

Mcilroy snapped back that he was very happy with his short game and that he'd be hitting the range to work on his driving because he felt there was more in the tank....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,974 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Needs a 68 or better today.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

I remember him being interviewed by last year after a wayward round. Cant remember what tournament but what stuck in the memory was the interviewer commenting on his wedge play being poor but his driving being the usual supreme.

Mcilroy snapped back that he was very happy with his short game and that he'd be hitting the range to work on his driving because he felt there was more in the tank....

Golf Channel’s Rex Hoggard interviewed on Newstalk/Off the Ball last night said Mcilroy was last in field in putting stats yesterday. It’s worth listening to the podcast, he talked a lot about Mcilroy/Woods/Keopke.

Double on the first and that's him out of contention.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 473 ✭✭Pissartist

Drive for show putt for dough, his wedge play and putting are that of a near amateur.
    But his worst attribute is his temperament.
    Everything else is top class though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Double on the first and that's him out of contention.

Bogey on 2nd hole (11th), +3 for 2 holes. Needs to show if he can grind out a score now or sink.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,885 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

5 over for his first three holes.

Golf has left his head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭Russman

Pissartist wrote: »
    Drive for show putt for dough, his wedge play and putting are that of a near amateur.

That's not really true anymore, or at least not as true as it used to be.
    The top 5 in strokes gained off the tee this season are:
    Rory
    Rahm
    Bubba Watson
    Tommy Fleetwood
    Jason Day

With almost $13.2m between them this season.

The top 5 putting are:
    Justin Harding
    Dominic Bozzelli
    Kiradech Aphibarnrat
    Denny McCarthy
    Dustin Johnson

With around $6.8M between them.

Rory is 21st in proximity to the hole from 125-150 yds from the fairway and 9th from the rough this season too.

I'm not totally disagreeing with you, but I think its not as clear cut as we'd like, why he's not doing it this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭Russman

Golf has left his head.

This ^^^^, a thousand times this !!

Russman wrote: »
    That's not really true anymore, or at least not as true as it used to be.
    The top 5 in strokes gained off the tee this season are:
    Rory
    Rahm
    Bubba Watson
    Tommy Fleetwood
    Jason Day

With almost $13.2m between them this season.

The top 5 putting are:
    Justin Harding
    Dominic Bozzelli
    Kiradech Aphibarnrat
    Denny McCarthy
    Dustin Johnson

With around $6.8M between them.

Rory is 21st in proximity to the hole from 125-150 yds from the fairway and 9th from the rough this season too.

I'm not totally disagreeing with you, but I think its not as clear cut as we'd like, why he's not doing it this week.

It's as real now as it ever has been Russ

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Mad that it's 5 years since he last won a major. Maybe he builds them up too much in his head these days, whatever it is there must be something holding him back mentally.

NDWC wrote: »
    Mad that it's 5 years since he last won a major. Maybe he builds them up too much in his head these days, whatever it is there must be something holding him back mentally.

Temperament, plain and simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

He only won the players 2 months ago. Harsh .

Few lovely putts from McIlroy!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 51,885 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Now 3 birdies in a row and back to +4.
    I can’t make him out at all !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,357 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

He has taken the pressure off himself, he's relaxed and now he's playing golf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,184 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

In trouble after an aggressive drive on the next.

He's easy enough to work out in some cases. In the majors it seems to be: Bad start, makes a spurt to make the cut, well down the field doing sfa, then a final rally to make a T20ish. Seems like that's his Major story for a while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

He tends to win only one tournament a year these days at the most, the players will likely be it for him. Really poor for someone of his talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭Trampas

Maybe he should have played the week before the major like he said about missing the Irish open.

He really doesn’t engage his brain or think about the answers sometimes before he speaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭bmay529

|You have to hand it to him though to come back in such a fashion from being virtually certain to miss the cut. If he could only set out with that mind frame as someone like Koepka does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Hitch2222

bmay529 wrote: »
    |You have to hand it to him though to come back in such a fashion from being virtually certain to miss the cut. If he could only set out with that mind frame as someone like Koepka does.

What's different about McIlroys mindframe to Koepkas at the start of the tournament?

Genuinely always curious how people can determine the mentality of one athlete let alone be willing/able to make a comparison across multiple athletes?

I liked what Brooks said a few weeks back something like you don't need to go and try win majors, you just need to hang around long enough limit the mistakes and players will fall away. You just need to win it the last day. The old saying you can't win it the first day but you can certainly lose comes to mind.

For me Rory goes out to blitz the course, way too aggressive and runs into problems. Then when it's not working mentally he gets disillusioned and slumps for a few holes.

I'd like to see him go out Jordan Spieth like and just aim to hit the middle of the green, hit 2 solid rounds and see where that gets him. Obviously with Brooks doing what he's doing changes everything.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭rooney30

I liked what Brooks said a few weeks back something like you don't need to go and try win majors, you just need to hang around long enough limit the mistakes and players will fall away. You just need to win it the last day. The old saying you can't win it the first day but you can certainly lose comes to mind.

For me Rory goes out to blitz the course, way too aggressive and runs into problems. Then when it's not working mentally he gets disillusioned and slumps for a few holes.

I'd like to see him go out Jordan Spieth like and just aim to hit the middle of the green, hit 2 solid rounds and see where that gets him. Obviously with Brooks doing what he's doing changes everything.

Wouldn’t be so sure about that. A criticism of him at Augusta the last few years was that he was too cagey and conservative the first couple of days , while guys went out and shot 5 and 6 under . This left him chasing too hard the last couple of days which forces mistakes

• Registered Users Posts: 11,375 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Pissartist wrote: »

Another top 10, playing like an amateur alright. LOL.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Hitch2222

fullstop wrote: »
    Another top 10, playing like an amateur alright. LOL.

I agree that it's again another Top 10 on one of the most difficult courses on tour. Koepka had to break the course record to win and you can see how difficult it was on the back 9.

That said, Rory was fighting to stay alive in large parts which is actually a great quality to see tbf. Those pushing mentality and whatever else much be impressed by his resolve to stick around at the end of R2.

It's a Top 10 and variance will even out to a degree over the course of 4 rounds-Koepka on back nine- but I think the course was hugely difficult for the last few groups.

Not taking anything away from him and as I said variance evens itself out but it feels like he's relatively lucky to get a Top 10 here tbh.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement